I want

Updates, suggestions, comments related to the site/board
Message
Author
User avatar
kv
Posts: 7302
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: I want

#81 Post by kv » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:45 am

Oh hell no

User avatar
SR
Posts: 6702
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: I want

#82 Post by SR » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:44 am

Fascist

User avatar
kv
Posts: 7302
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: I want

#83 Post by kv » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Like every message board ever...you want this, I want that, this person wants a mermaid...this person a lab gif..next something else...unless it mass use answers are usually no :noclue:

User avatar
SR
Posts: 6702
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: I want

#84 Post by SR » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:31 am

tongue in cheek

User avatar
Hype
Posts: 6457
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: I want

#85 Post by Hype » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:51 am

I tried to post a Unicode four leaf clover emoji (https://emojipedia.org/four-leaf-clover/), because it exists, but it broke the board, probably because this is a very old version of phpBB (mysqli is outmoded by PDO now):
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x8D\x80' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: dave@aintnoright.org
I'm pretty sure that it's saying that because you're running a very old version of MySQL, or need to update its settings to allow newer Unicode: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/109 ... l-via-jdbc

So, even more work than adding a clover "smiley".

Here, have a shamrock unicode emoji instead: ☘️

creep
Site Admin
Posts: 9480
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: I want

#86 Post by creep » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:42 pm

Hype wrote:I tried to post a Unicode four leaf clover emoji (https://emojipedia.org/four-leaf-clover/), because it exists, but it broke the board, probably because this is a very old version of phpBB (mysqli is outmoded by PDO now):
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x8D\x80' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: dave@aintnoright.org
I'm pretty sure that it's saying that because you're running a very old version of MySQL, or need to update its settings to allow newer Unicode: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/109 ... l-via-jdbc

So, even more work than adding a clover "smiley".

Here, have a shamrock unicode emoji instead: ☘️
Yeah...I don't know how to do any of that.

Anyone want to take over hosting this site? I will sell you the site for $0. I was thinking about moving the board to one of those free message board sites. You would probably get a few ads. This place does not get enough traffic for me to continue paying $10 a month plus the cost of the domain.

User avatar
SR
Posts: 6702
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: I want

#87 Post by SR » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:49 pm

Yeah, I’m just fuckin around (mainly).

I always thought this was hokas site (mainly)

User avatar
Hype
Posts: 6457
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: I want

#88 Post by Hype » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:26 am

SR wrote:Yeah, I’m just fuckin around (mainly).

I always thought this was hokas site (mainly)
Just to be clear: you can post many unicode characters directly into your posts. So if you like the shamrock, you could copy and paste it somewhere so you can use it at will. Any of these will work: https://emojipedia.org/unicode-4.1/ ⚓ as well as these: https://emojipedia.org/unicode-5.1/⭐ And these: https://emojipedia.org/unicode-5.2/ ⛈️ But not any from Unicode 6 or later (as far as I know).

User avatar
kv
Posts: 7302
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: I want

#89 Post by kv » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Way to go guys now we are gonna have ads and creep is gonna quit us

User avatar
SR
Posts: 6702
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: I want

#90 Post by SR » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:35 am

So, the use any of those it will carry the risk of spam or adverts? I seem to remember jasper complaining about links for this reason as well. :green shamrock: :noclue:

User avatar
Hype
Posts: 6457
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: I want

#91 Post by Hype » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:50 am

No, he meant if Creep switches the board to a free server. Unicode emojis are the same as text -- they're approved by the official Unicode standard.



Look! I'm in Ireland! Weee!!! :yeay:
☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️

User avatar
chaos
Posts: 4290
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Boston

Re: I want

#92 Post by chaos » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:54 pm

creep wrote:
I was thinking about moving the board to one of those free message board sites. You would probably get a few ads. This place does not get enough traffic for me to continue paying $10 a month plus the cost of the domain.
Perhaps we can do another internethon for donations?

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: I want

#93 Post by thoreau » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:06 pm

chaos wrote:
creep wrote:
I was thinking about moving the board to one of those free message board sites. You would probably get a few ads. This place does not get enough traffic for me to continue paying $10 a month plus the cost of the domain.
Perhaps we can do another internethon for donations?
Considering that Clickie is trying to rip me a new asshole in another thread, I would happily donate again. :tiphat:

User avatar
crater
Posts: 1089
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Bear Island
Contact:

Re: I want

#94 Post by crater » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:05 pm

creep wrote: This place does not get enough traffic
Speaking of traffic.

What exactly caused this many people to show up?
Most users ever online was 226 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:12 pm
Someone must know, because I sure don't and each time I check this place out lately I always wonder why so many people where here that night

:noclue:

User avatar
kv
Posts: 7302
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: I want

#95 Post by kv » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:41 pm

Bots...prob Google bots or a rare night where a few bots hit the same time

User avatar
Hype
Posts: 6457
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: I want

#96 Post by Hype » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:08 am

You need to exlude all bots in a robots.txt file. :hehe:

Post Reply