The last time you saw Jane's live

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: The last time you saw Jane's live

#26 Post by Hokahey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:07 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:54 pm
Wow... I seriously couldn't remember so I had to go and search my own FB page... apparently it was October 24th, 2015 at The Warfield. I recalled that I went because I could get in for free and needed a night away from the kids. I spent more time chatting with old friends/coworkers than I did watching the show. It was a lot of cringeworthy moments with a few passable interludes. But, I can't say that I was disappointed because I went in expecting them to suck?

I skipped them on TGEA tour, even though I could go for free, because I just couldn't generate any interest at all, same as the album.

:noclue:
I thought the TGEA show I saw was better than Ninja. Ninja felt like Chaney Jane's with Avery. TGEA felt more like Avery Jane's with Chaney.

JOEinPHX

#27 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:41 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:38 pm
I have no interest in ever seeing them again unless Eric comes back for some reason.
There is a better chance of Perry's voice coming back before Eric ever does.

Larry B.

#28 Post by Larry B. » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:22 pm

I can’t remember the last time I saw them. First time qas in Brazil, with Eric, then one time Lolla Chile and another time in Santiago probably 3-4 years ago, but I have no idea which of the 2 shows in Chile was last. Nor I care, really. Those two shows were pretty “meh.”

I remember I went to one of these shows with THE childhood friend who also liked Jane’s, and at one point he asked me whether there was a problem with Perry’s mic. He dreamed of listening to Mountain Song live and when it finally happened, it was so disappointing. There was no energy, no anger, everyone was sat down because there was no “umph” to the show at all. A real shame.

Juana

#29 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:44 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:22 pm
I can’t remember the last time I saw them. First time qas in Brazil, with Eric, then one time Lolla Chile and another time in Santiago probably 3-4 years ago, but I have no idea which of the 2 shows in Chile was last. Nor I care, really. Those two shows were pretty “meh.”

I remember I went to one of these shows with THE childhood friend who also liked Jane’s, and at one point he asked me whether there was a problem with Perry’s mic. He dreamed of listening to Mountain Song live and when it finally happened, it was so disappointing. There was no energy, no anger, everyone was sat down because there was no “umph” to the show at all. A real shame.
Last part of your statement my better half was like: "This?! Really?! Fuck this I'm going to see King Diamond" or something similar at FFF

crater

#30 Post by crater » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:00 pm
If I recall, the rumor was a band squabble precipitated the short set?
I believe it.

With the bizarre start of their set, where the band played about 80% of Stop without Perry (he even ran out from the side of the stage saying "Were you expecting me?" near the end of the song) added with how the show ended. It just came across as strange to me. Then a few weeks later they had all those cancelled shows that they were supposed to play with Marilyn Manson and that was it for the Strays era of the band.

farrellgirl99

#31 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:12 pm

my last time was when they played williamsburg 8/17/2012. i didnt remember it being that long ago but i skipped a few they played after (like the times square show i had no interest in)

i was right in front of dave up against the rail. solid last show. i have no interest in ever going again.

tubro

#32 Post by tubro » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:17 pm

Interesting indeed because the last two times I saw them I went for the other band. Last time I saw them was Oct 12, 2014, free in Times Square NYC. Went for Devo. (They were unreal.) Stayed for Jane’s and saw drunk perry melt down and have the sound turned off on him as he bitched about Deblasio.

After that I got a free ticket for Dinosaur Jr at Capitol Theater in Westchester in 2016, opening for Jane’s. Left after J. blew my ears out as he’s done so many times before, and hung out at the bar, which, for anyone who’s ever been to the Cap, is a nice bar, totally separate from the concert hall, where they have other bands playing. I figured to pop back in for a few Ritual songs i hadn’t heard in a while but No One’s Leaving was just so bad. Went back in for then she did, which they played really well, stayed for Of course (not so good, not too surprisingly) and got the fuck out of there.

I was trying to think of the last time i paid for a Jane’s ticket but that goes back a long way. Probably NINJA. There were a few other free ones after that including the one they made into a DVD at terminal 5 (which had its moments for sure). It’s been a while now and if they come around and it’s convenient and free I’m sure I’d go for nostalgia sake. I still think they have some concert chops, but, oddly enough, not for their truest fans. We’re just too bored by what they’ve turned into as a live act.

Irony is that Dino Jr is from the same era and still brings it. Devo is from way earlier and is spectacular. It’s no surprise - plenty of older bands still work hard at their craft. That’s what’s so disturbing about JA, for almost two decades now. Shame.

Fuck Trump.

Mescal

#33 Post by Mescal » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:40 pm

Jun 9 2010
Jane’s Addiction Setlist
at Gelredome, Arnhem, Netherlands

Mountain Song
Ain't No Right
Whores
Three Days
Been Caught Stealing
Superhero
Ocean Size
Ted, Just Admit It...

Duff on bass.

Horrible show. Just, really, horrible.

They opened for RATM. Crowd wasn't paying attention and JA didn't put any effort into it.

Dave did play his Hello Kitty guitar thought. Which must've been the highlight of the show.

Dragged some friends and my girlfriend (now wife) over there, we had to hurry, got in just in time, I was stressed .... And later embarrassed I dragged my friends to see this trainwreck. Surprisingly they thought it wasn't that bad (not Jane's fans). They were impressed with Dave's guitar playing.

phenobarb_bambalam

#34 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:50 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:39 pm
24 Feb 2010. Pretty sure this was the last EA club/theatre show. The ones he did after that were festival shows.

I fucking loved it.
Indeed, the Melbourne show was the last headline show with EA - I think there was one festival show after that...in Perth? Went to the one before yours in Sydney and loved it.

As for the last time seeing them - the Ritual show in London - 13 June 2016. I had sworn off seeing them again, but was lured by the album performance. It'll be the last time, I suspect. I can't see ever having a reason to watch that carnage again.

kv

#35 Post by kv » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:41 am

Imagine this is your fan bass..a thread of when everyone stopped giving a fuck about your current life lol

panicparty

#36 Post by panicparty » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:08 am

November 7th 2003, one of the late Strays shows, a couple of weeks before the December shows got cancelled and it all turned to shit for them (again). Nottingham, UK.

Things didn't look to happy in the Jane's camp, particularly Dave. No interaction between Perry and Dave the whole gig. A slightly malevolent "bad vibe" which actually provoked a pretty good, if typically short, show from them. They played hard on the faster songs, and sounded like Jane's. Chaney shirtless and moving on the stage, actually had some presence. Set list:

Up The Beach
Stop!
Ain't No Right
Strays
Been Caught Stealing
Ted, Just Admit It...
Everybody's Friend (acoustic)
Just Because (acoustic)
True Nature
The Riches
Ocean Size
Price I Pay
Jane Says (acoustic)

It was good to have a fair few Strays songs, especially since they've not played any of them since in this form - the only Strays song from this list afaik that they've performed live since 2003 is Just Because, and this night they did that one acoustically, which I thought worked really well. No Three Days though, which was disappointing.

I missed NINJA due to a logistical fuck up, and having seen footage of more recent performances, I don't think I'd go see them again unless they were playing in my house.

Larry B.

#37 Post by Larry B. » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:19 am

kv wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:41 am
Imagine this is your fan bass..a thread of when everyone stopped giving a fuck about your current life lol
They broke us.

Eric B.

#38 Post by Eric B. » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:29 am

2003-10-04. My goodness. It has been 15 years and I still visit this site from time to time......

The show was enjoyable

Since then I saw a Banyan show in Amsterdam and a musically ok-ish satelite party (ft Nuno) show. Also in Amsterdam. The last gig became utterly cringeworthy because of the incredebily out of place stage-performance by Etty. My goodness. I was there with my then new girlfriend. Wanted to show her my old hero that meant a lot to me. It's a miracle she married me after that. The name Etty in our house still leads to my wife doing some spontaneous pole-dancing.. :rockon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjOjl-Of9bM

Mescal

#39 Post by Mescal » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Wow.

I was there as well, in Amsterdam.

For me it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. To see Jane's in a mythical concert venue... With the crowd being into it, shouting every word.

Me, dragging a 2 friends along. One who didn't have a ticket, the other who never even heard of Jane's, with people in the crowd asking him why hé wasn't into them... They were just there for the weekend, so we could buy weed and smoke joints... Such good times.... So long ago..

Noonesshocking

#40 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:17 pm

Eric B. wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:29 am
2003-10-04. My goodness. It has been 15 years and I still visit this site from time to time......

The show was enjoyable

Since then I saw a Banyan show in Amsterdam and a musically ok-ish satelite party (ft Nuno) show. Also in Amsterdam. The last gig became utterly cringeworthy because of the incredebily out of place stage-performance by Etty. My goodness. I was there with my then new girlfriend. Wanted to show her my old hero that meant a lot to me. It's a miracle she married me after that. The name Etty in our house still leads to my wife doing some spontaneous pole-dancing.. :rockon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjOjl-Of9bM
Weird how the crowd is singing along loudly to "Strays" of all songs.

JOEinPHX

#41 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:33 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:19 am
kv wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:41 am
They broke us.
Maybe this should be its own thread.

"What finally broke your Jane's fandom?" :lol:

kv

#42 Post by kv » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:19 pm

I'll always be a fan...of 1.0

zendo

#43 Post by zendo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:53 am

7.16.16 Stone Pony NJ

Also saw them the night before at the then new Coney Island Amphitheater.

Had a blast at both shows!

I'll see em again, keep the expectation realistic and its fun for me every couple of years. :cool:
Attachments
image.png
image.png (1.01 KiB) Viewed 4713 times

perkana

#44 Post by perkana » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Lollapalooza 2009. Wanted to be on Eric's side, but made it to Dave's side. Up the rail. It was my only show. I was so excited that some guy was taping a video and me and my friend were like complete fangirls when he asked us who were we looking forward to see and we screamed "Jane's Addiction!!". I was amazed at how cool the crowd was, people were so polite and nobody tried to get infront of us. Unlike here.
They played in Mexico a couple of times but I think it was without Eric both times, once in Mexico City and another time in Los Cabos. Oh yeah, the first time was in 1991. But I didn't know about them.