What Broke Your Jane’s Fandom?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

What Broke Your Jane’s Fandom?

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:46 pm

Stole this thread idea from 6767.

When Eric left in 2010, the band was almost instantly de-legitimitized in my eyes but I was still morbidly curious about what they’d do next.

It was the debut of another shitmate with Duff - that’s really when I knew I didn’t give a fuck anymore. It “broke” me, so to speak. There were flashes of cool things when TGEA was happening, but I couldn’t ever get fully invested in the era.

SR

Re: What Broke Your Jane’s Fandom?

#2 Post by SR » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:11 pm

Still love 1.0, but after they broke up and EA was gone it was never the same for me. I was excited for Strays with high hopes, but I knew when I first heard it that all the magic was gone. And I really like Strays...it's a great rockin album with a couple of standouts like The Riches and Suffer Some (though SS is better in the demos). Just Because is the worst song I have heard them do...I haven't heard all of TGEA, but hated what I heard.

kv

#3 Post by kv » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:28 pm

Strike one: When Perry fired Martyn...who I thought was the perfect fill for Eric

Strike two: When the excitement of the strays leak wore off...and I was left with..."this is just generic rock" then came the selling ads to tires, Coors Light and other stupid shit

Strike three: Chaney being the polar opposite of Eric, zero energy shows, Perry's voice is trash, etty (nuff said), Perry trashing us on xiola after etty stirred shit up, Dave giving zero fucks and lastly Stephen, my fav drummer on the planet, playing boring, uninspired, standard paint by numbers shit...years later I understand everyone being bored in the band...Perry had long since stopped inspiring them too

Still love 1.0 as SR said, they were never close to the same since they left the stage in Hawaii and closed 1.0
I can not stand when people say relapse shows were their best...no, not even close...

crater

#4 Post by crater » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:03 pm

I know I lost it before this, but things like this, is when I officially lost all hope that Perry would ever do anything I would care about again.

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:08 pm

I hung on longer than most I think.

I was OK with Strays.

I was done after TGEA. I hated the album and it just went downhill from there.

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:42 pm

creep wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:08 pm

I was OK with Strays.

Same. I even tried to like Satellite Party. :dunce:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#7 Post by Hokahey » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:43 pm

2005. I sold this domain. Lol. Interacting with the members and their sycophants was depressing. I quickly realized I did not like the kind of people they were. Especially Etty. She ruined everything.

I saw them anyway in 09. I had to. I had never seen them with Eric.

Saw them again in 2012. Again, I had to. I used to literally have dreams about them playing the club they were booked to play.

I felt like in both 09 and 12 that I owed it to a younger version of myself. Both times I had to erase all memory of my interactions with them to enjoy the show in the moment. It sort of worked.

After that I was officially done.

Bandit72

#8 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:23 am

I went 12 years between seeing this amazing band in 1991 that I became obsessed with to seeing them in 2003 thinking...."urgh". It was a cold winter evening in Wolverhampton, I was drunk and I managed to meet the band outside after a shitty gig. Well, I'll use the term 'met' loosely. I spoke to Stephen the most, he was great. Dave reluctantly signed my ticket stub and Perry was chatty to everyone, lapping up all the attention (quelle surprise). I stupidly said to him "Don't stop what you're doing" and he replied "I won't". FFS. :banghead: I went home in a black cab a bit deflated, but refused to accept it was the beginning of the end. Maybe I was expecting some kind of Hammerstein show? I loved that show. Strays kept them on my radar somewhat, and then Christmas came early in the Summer of 2009 when Eric was back. And very soon after that was it. Done. I couldn't be bothered anymore, but this board and its members keep the good memories for me. :heart:

Larry B.

#9 Post by Larry B. » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:52 am

Although my fandom shrunk gradually as I started getting older, it was TGEA that broke the camel’s back.

Strays was partially exciting despite having some absolute shit standard rock in it, like The Riches, that monkey song, the bastarised version of Suffer Some and the Bon Jovi-esque To Match The Sun.

But TGEA is 95% shit, and just too much to handle. The fact that if you say the album name it also kind of sounds like ‘The Greatest Gay Parties’ and there’s a chance that Perry thought this was a clever pun, makes me cringe.

Also, after TGEA I saw them live twice and I almost felt insulted by how they were just going through the motions.

And finally, the fact that they had the cheek to keep releasing compilations. COMPILATIONS, a band that has like 20 songs. Compilations, box sets and live sets that probably sold less than 2,000 copies. It added to the embarrassment.

They fucking broke me and I don’t care about the band anymore.

panicparty

#10 Post by panicparty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:19 am

For me I knew it was game over when the stories started emerging of the dysfunction in the studio with Reznor. That was the point when it went in my head from "maybe, just maybe, pinch myself, but Eric seems genuinely into this, Dave is like a happy little puppy dancing around Eric, this might just work" to "nah, it's a bust, nothing doing".

Eric knew this too. That he hung on long enough to take what I imagine was a lot (for him) of $$$ for the NINJA tour when he knew that it was a bust creatively negates all that "keeper of the spirit" stuff. He's as guilty as any of them for flogging the fetid corpse for a payday.

SR

#11 Post by SR » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:25 am

panicparty wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:19 am
He's as guilty as any of them for flogging the fetid corpse for a payday. :confused: :lol:

bman

#12 Post by bman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:54 am

I saw plenty of good TGEA shows and the NS shows in Vegas were very good. But after that I kind of lost interest. For me, I would still be excited to see them if they were an actual band, rather than 4 guys who get together an hour prior to a tour to rehearse. If they don't care, why should anyone else.

panicparty

#13 Post by panicparty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:18 am

SR wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:25 am
panicparty wrote:
He's as guilty as any of them for flogging the fetid corpse for a payday. :confused: :lol:
Not a popular view, I know, but I'm struck that at the end of that run of gigs, three of the band were looking forward, with ambition, to creating new music as Jane's. One of them was literally counting down the days on social media. They were all turning up for the shows and, presumably, getting paid.

Noonesshocking

#14 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:24 pm

panicparty wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:18 am
SR wrote:
panicparty wrote:
Not a popular view, I know, but I'm struck that at the end of that run of gigs, three of the band were looking forward, with ambition, to creating new music as Jane's. One of them was literally counting down the days on social media. They were all turning up for the shows and, presumably, getting paid.

In fairness to Eric, it's not like they were in the studio with Trent and then booked the tour. It would have been simple for him to walk away after one of the club shows. It became much more complicated once Trent entered the picture and sold them on the idea of touring and recording. After that, there were contracts pretty much obligating ALL of them to do the shows. I imagine if he had walked after those sessions, he and the band might have been sued by promotors because they could no longer deliver on the promise they made through summer - which was to play shows with the ORIGINAL lineup. Australia was supposed to happen in August 2009 but Stephen got that infection in his elbow. Had Australia gone as planned, the reunion would have only lasted just over a year.

JOEinPHX

#15 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:24 pm

I not only remember when I gave up on the band, but when I gave up on Perry.

I gave up on Perry when he gave that cringeworthy interview with Rollingstone after Chaney/Perk/Dave formed TPC, where he tried to save face and pulled the "they didn't quit, I fired them!" shit. He claimed they had taken over the band and ruined it, and HE was the one that moved on... not them, and "Jane only strips for me"

Then Perry and Etty started spreading lies about TPC through this site. He was basically acting like a dude whose ex-girlfriend broke up with him and moved on.

Then cropping out his bandmates from the Satellite Party album cover.

Then slapping his name on there so everyone knew it was PERRY FARRELL'S SATELLITE PARTY.

Then losing all his bandmates because all he wanted to do was play covers of Jane's Addiction songs, the band he claimed he had buried :eyes:

Just one douche move after another.

Eric coming back, and touring with NIN, had me excited to see the original band. Which I did. But it just didn't sound right. I enjoyed them more when I saw the Jubillee tour with Martyn on bass. I knew I'd never pay to see them ever again after NINJA. A few festival appearances aside, I still have yet to buy a ticket that says Jane's Addiction on it.

guysmiley

#16 Post by guysmiley » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:30 pm

creep wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:08 pm

I was OK with Strays.

Same. Just have a glimmer of hope when Eric came back.

intertwoven

#17 Post by intertwoven » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:58 pm

Howbout those shitty remixes of "So What!" that got put out?
I think I win for raising an eyebrow to those back in 1997 ("The fuck is this techno shit?"). All downhill from there.

No but, "Another Soulmate" is probably what really made me check out.

Honestly, I enjoy TGEA for what it is. Gun to my head, I'd still say Jane's is my all-time favorite band, but not current fav, of course. Etty ruined Perry.
A good poll question I'd be interested to see the outcome of from ya'll:
- would you rather Perry died from an OD in late 1997, keeping Jane's legacy intact.
- or lived a reasonably happy life (though shitty output) well into old age.

panicparty

#18 Post by panicparty » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:25 am

Noonesshocking wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:24 pm
panicparty wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:18 am
SR wrote:
panicparty wrote:

In fairness to Eric, it's not like they were in the studio with Trent and then booked the tour. It would have been simple for him to walk away after one of the club shows. It became much more complicated once Trent entered the picture and sold them on the idea of touring and recording. After that, there were contracts pretty much obligating ALL of them to do the shows. I imagine if he had walked after those sessions, he and the band might have been sued by promotors because they could no longer deliver on the promise they made through summer - which was to play shows with the ORIGINAL lineup. Australia was supposed to happen in August 2009 but Stephen got that infection in his elbow. Had Australia gone as planned, the reunion would have only lasted just over a year.
I'm with you on the facts and the timeline, that's pretty much my understanding of how it went down, but I'm differing on my interpretation.

So yeah, club shows (looking good), then NINJA agreed and signed up for (exciting), NINJA contract calls for (among other things, promotion etc.) a load of tour dates + two (new) recorded tracks for the tour promotional sampler. Band goes in studio with Trent, it all goes to shit. We're all on the same page up to here.

So then Eric's situation at that point: it's not working. We could get into the whys and wherefores and who's to blame and who could have done things differently but no matter, the fact is, it must have been obvious to Eric (given that it was pretty obvious to the small number of people left in the world following what was going on with the band) that that was that, they'd had a go, against all odds, but no, the magic wasn't going to come back and Ritual II wasn't going to happen. He could have called it then, walked away, preferably with a genuinely amicable "well we tried, shame it didn't work, best of luck" between them all. If he'd done that then, I'd have had more sympathy for his sanctimonious shtick down the line.

But he didn't. He pressed on, did the shows, took the money and then left.

Without being a music industry lawyer, or involved with this deal, none of us will know the details, (maybe the contract specified Perry, Dave, Eric and Perk, maybe it specified "Jane's Addiction" and they could have fulfilled the obligation with Chaney, or Duff, or fucking Etty on on bass) but I'm not sure I buy the "sued by promoters" bit. Tours (and individual gigs) get insured, cos, y'know tours and gigs get cancelled all the time - band feuding being but one of many reasons. There's no way on earth anyone with any sense would put money behind a tour involving Jane's without plenty of insurance, when you've got a band with such a history of drug addictions, breakups, feuds, more drug addiction, more breakups, more feuds, cancelled shows... if the tour had fallen through cos Eric walked, the insurers would have picked up the tab, not the individual band members.

So I doubt (happy to be corrected by anyone in the know) that if Eric had walked after the studio sessions he would have been presented with a bill, any more than he would have when he bailed on NIN a few years later. What it would have cost him is not receiving whatever he got paid for doing the tour. I don't begrudge people taking jobs for the money, we all do that (or most of us do). I do think it's out of order to do that and then subsequently portray yourself as having higher ideals and being all about the purity of the art and all the other crap he's spouted since. He didn't walk away with his head held high, he ran out the second the check cleared.

kv

#19 Post by kv » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:16 am

Who cares...he tried a little too long and held up his agreement and did the work and got paid...they were all going through the motions...but then Eric stopped....like I fucking wish the others would...hell maybe they did...when did they play last?

trevor ayer

#20 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:40 am

STRAYS killed janes dead .. what a shitty fucking album of poser metal .. chris cheney is etty on bass .. just sucks the life out of everything ... ninja was too little too late and tuning down made perry sound even worse ... erics douchery matched perrys .. trents demos blew chunks .. tgea album cover was the final embarassment .. can't even the speak the band name out loud without shame after that .. i get my janes fix more from ink master now than anything musical any band member has done in 25 years .. i have fun listening to dave try not to slur his words and seeing what his new hairdo and monster high doll outfits look like ... i would rather perry be alive but he seems like a miserable guy to me .. some people are so poor all they have is money .. he will probably od soon enough .. takes a lot of drugs to put up with a spoiled brat hallow whore like etty .. she will play the widow role taking cues from yoko and courtney on how to pretend u didn't kill your husband ... timing seems right .. she is all over this new perry album just like double fantasy and milk and honey or when kurt wrote live through this right before c love offed him

Hokahey
Site Admin

#21 Post by Hokahey » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:48 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:58 pm
Howbout those shitty remixes of "So What!" that got put out?
I think I win for raising an eyebrow to those back in 1997 ("The fuck is this techno shit?"). All downhill from there.

No but, "Another Soulmate" is probably what really made me check out.

Honestly, I enjoy TGEA for what it is. Gun to my head, I'd still say Jane's is my all-time favorite band, but not current fav, of course. Etty ruined Perry.
A good poll question I'd be interested to see the outcome of from ya'll:
- would you rather Perry died from an OD in late 1997, keeping Jane's legacy intact.
Anyone that would wish he had OD'd instead of tarnishing his legacy (as more than just a fleeting thought) needs serious, serious mental help.

SR

#22 Post by SR » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:09 pm

This thread went back to JA fans 1.0

SR

#23 Post by SR » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:09 pm

trevor ayer wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:40 am
STRAYS killed janes dead .. what a shitty fucking album of poser metal .. chris cheney is etty on bass .. just sucks the life out of everything ... ninja was too little too late and tuning down made perry sound even worse ... erics douchery matched perrys .. trents demos blew chunks .. tgea album cover was the final embarassment .. can't even the speak the band name out loud without shame after that .. i get my janes fix more from ink master now than anything musical any band member has done in 25 years .. i have fun listening to dave try not to slur his words and seeing what his new hairdo and monster high doll outfits look like ... i would rather perry be alive but he seems like a miserable guy to me .. some people are so poor all they have is money .. he will probably od soon enough .. takes a lot of drugs to put up with a spoiled brat hallow whore like etty .. she will play the widow role taking cues from yoko and courtney on how to pretend u didn't kill your husband ... timing seems right .. she is all over this new perry album just like double fantasy and milk and honey or when kurt wrote live through this right before c love offed him
Whoa! :lol:

JOEinPHX

#24 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:53 pm

kv wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:16 am
when did they play last?
NYE 2018

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:56 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:58 pm

I would rather have had Perry never met Etty, and just stuck with Porno For Pyros post-1997.

His voice (or lack thereof) is more suited to PFP material, yet he insists on wrecking Jane's songs instead for the cash grab. :no:

The guy doesn't deserve to be dead for his poor choices, but it would have been nice to watch him age gracefully while churning out chill pothead island music, instead of mangling his face with plastic surgery and trying to be a House DJ during the rise of EDM/Dubstep.