Kind Heaven Orchestra's 12/2 show: Will it happen or not?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects

Is this show happening?

It will go on as planned
76%
It will get canceled
24%

Total votes: 21

SR

Re: Kind Heaven Orchestra's 12/2 show: Will it happen or not?

#51 Post by SR » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:12 am

Never again, Satan!

CaseyContrarian

#52 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks for that. I bet the saddest thing is it’s not even cathartic to reflect on this crap.

bman

#53 Post by bman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Not caring anymore is the truly the saddest thing. I think I maybe watched a combined 60 seconds of all those videos. It's not even that its not good, it's just so utterly meaningless and forgettable. It's sad because truly no one other than PEtty care. And yes, it looks like a high school cabaret show. Come on Perry.

panicparty

#54 Post by panicparty » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:04 am

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:32 pm
.. Perry may have given nin a leg up in the early days, but they are essentially peers...
I've said this before in relation to NIN/JA but, while that might hold true in the US, this side of the Atlantic (the UK anyway) that suggestion's a joke. Perry, and Jane's, are all but forgotten to all but the hardcore, long-term fans. NIN have massive recognition across all generations, and not just the hard rockin' end of music fandom.

I reckon if you got a cohort of 100 25 year olds in the UK and asked them who was aware of each band, upwards of 95 would be aware of NIN, probably 5 or fewer would be aware of Jane's (and they'd all be offspring of Jane's fans from back in the day). The only appreciable media coverage of Jane's in recent times over here was when Duff joined and that was from a "What's Duff McKagan doing" angle rather than "who's the new Jane's bassist?" TGEA slipped out completely unnoticed (and largely unpurchased).

Bandit72

#55 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:10 am

Karaoke at best.

Stickyfingers

#56 Post by Stickyfingers » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:59 am

Fuck... Corgan, Reznor, Vedder, Yorke...everyone still alive from 90s is still making decent music, me I have to be ashamed now to say I was Perry fan... Fuck.

And by the way, a musical? Musical is a genre so old, who cares about musicals in 2018?

A musical should be a movie, or a theatre performance, not Perry talking to the audience about messiah bullshits before playing "Pets"...

SR

#57 Post by SR » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:10 am

Wasn't Pete supposed to be performing in this?

JOEinPHX

#58 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:59 am

SR wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:10 am
Why get Navarro and Perk when you can get 2 session guys for cheap?

Why get Pete when you can get Navarro's guitar tech for cheap?

It's almost time for Etty's monthly iPhone, after all.

JOEinPHX

#59 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Stickyfingers wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:59 am
Fuck... Corgan, Reznor, Vedder, Yorke...everyone still alive from 90s is still making decent music, me I have to be ashamed now to say I was Perry fan... Fuck.
Hell, I'll bet if we checked in on Blues Traveler and The Spin Doctors they are still doing good albums as well.

phenobarb_bambalam

#60 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:56 pm

panicparty wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:04 am
I've said this before in relation to NIN/JA but, while that might hold true in the US, this side of the Atlantic (the UK anyway) that suggestion's a joke. Perry, and Jane's, are all but forgotten to all but the hardcore, long-term fans. NIN have massive recognition across all generations, and not just the hard rockin' end of music fandom.
It's a difficult to draw parallels between the bands in the US and UK contexts. I think JA had earlier support from the music press in the UK than they did in the US, so they built up from there, but never really outgrew NME and Melody Maker (+ Kerrang!). BCS put them on MTV and one US radio, which took them to a level they never attained in the UK. Then came Lollapalooza, which put Perry in some form of spotlight throughout the 90s. Perry and his bands essentially ignored Europe/the UK during that whole decade - just a handful of shows and festivals in the first P4P tour, no tour for GGU, and no Relapse. He played less than 10 shows in the UK between 1991-2002.

Reznor's trajectory was very different. The first ever nin show was opening for Gn'R at Wembley Stadium in 1991, right at the end of the PHM tour, so they'd been on the road for about three years before ever touching Europe. They've toured in the UK solidly ever since, often with multiple legs for each tour. Perry never built up the fanbase in Europe that TR did, hence the recognition through toil. Even if Perry's music was somehow relevant (to anything), he would still be relatively obscure by comparison through sheer lack of effort.

The simple fact of the matter is that Perry's output has been sparse and weak, during a time when Reznor has poured out releases. That, ultimately shapes the situation, but the level of work each has put into their standing in the UK/Europe is radically different.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#61 Post by Hokahey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:21 pm

Stickyfingers wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:59 am

This is extremely debatable.

kv

#62 Post by kv » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Indeed, none of those listed do shit for me anymore

Pandemonium

#63 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:48 pm

I think with the four guys noted above, it's not that they are still putting out music that stands head n' shoulders with their top work, it's that they haven't become laughable parodies of themselves like Perry although imo, Corgan has come pretty fuckin' close. For the most part, these guys are still putting out at least ok new music and performing at a respectable level on a regular basis and haven't utterly shit on their band's legacies.

clickie

#64 Post by clickie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:55 pm

panicparty wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:04 am
phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:32 pm
.. Perry may have given nin a leg up in the early days, but they are essentially peers...

I reckon if you got a cohort of 100 25 year olds in the UK and asked them who was aware of each band, upwards of 95 would be aware of NIN, probably 5 or fewer would be aware of Jane's (and they'd all be offspring of Jane's fans from back in the day). The only appreciable media coverage of Jane's in recent times over here was when Duff joined and that was from a "What's Duff McKagan doing" angle rather than "who's the new Jane's bassist?" TGEA slipped out completely unnoticed (and largely unpurchased).
I think this is pretty accurate in the US too.

JOEinPHX

#65 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:48 pm
I think with the four guys noted above, it's not that they are still putting out music that stands head n' shoulders with their top work, it's that they haven't become laughable parodies of themselves like Perry although imo, Corgan has come pretty fuckin' close. For the most part, these guys are still putting out at least ok new music and performing at a respectable level on a regular basis and haven't utterly shit on their band's legacies.
This, exactly.

I will even go so far as to say that having seen Pearl Jam at both of their Seattle shows in August, and having seen the Smashing Pumpkins opening night of their reunion tour here in AZ, both of which were over 3 hours long, they are absolutely KILLING IT live.

NIN never stopped being a respect live band. And while I may not enjoy the albums as much these days, at least Trent is doing something original.

I can't really speak for Radiohead. Was never a fan. But from what I hear... people still love their albums and still think their live shows are great.

So... :noclue:

Perry seems to be the only one in his peer group making dance music cabaret with his stripper wife for 500 people who don't know what they are walking into.

Mescal

#66 Post by Mescal » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:05 pm
with his stripper wife
:essence: :essence: :essence: :essence:

She's a lead singer now

elbuitre

#67 Post by elbuitre » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:42 am

Perry has always been a complete odd-ball though, whereas the others are more 'traditional' frontmen of alternative rock bands.

His strangeness is what makes him more compelling than his peers, but it's also what makes his creative choices much less predictable and consistent.

So on the one hand, it's completely bizarre that the lead singer of Jane's Addiction now has plastic surgery and fronts a tacky Las Vegas act with his wife. But on the other hand, it's not strange at all.

crater

#68 Post by crater » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:06 am

Billy Corgan is an alt-right supporting, conspiracy theory pushing piece of shit.

Perry may have fallen off creatively, but at least he isn't as far gone as Billy.

SR

#69 Post by SR » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:25 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:59 am
SR wrote:

I ask what time it is and you tell me how to make a watch :hehe:

I thought I read in the presser somewhere that Pete was pat of the band. Taylor too. What I should do is actually watch the videos.

JOEinPHX

#70 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:57 pm

SR wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:25 am
Six7Six7 wrote:
SR wrote:

I thought I read in the presser somewhere that Pete was pat of the band. Taylor too. What I should do is actually watch the videos.
:noclue:

Tony Kanal and Nuno Bettencourt were in Satellite Party too.

JOEinPHX

#71 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:05 pm

crater wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:06 am
Billy Corgan is an alt-right supporting, conspiracy theory pushing piece of shit.

Perry may have fallen off creatively, but at least he isn't as far gone as Billy.
Agreed on Billy.

But all Perry ever was, was his creativity. Which he doesn't have anymore.

No one ever gave a fuck what Billy Corgan talked about. But he can still sing and play guitar. Billy Corgan doesn't even talk onstage, he lets James Iha do it. So it's not like you're walking into a SP gig and getting an earful of infowars nonsense. You get to hear Zero played note for note like it is on record. That's it. Just the music, the way it's supposed to sound, with the right people on the stage playing it.

SR

#72 Post by SR » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:54 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:57 pm
SR wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:25 am
Six7Six7 wrote:
SR wrote:

:noclue:

Tony Kanal and Nuno Bettencourt were in Satellite Party too.
I'm not sure what your point is with that, but I saw both incarnations of SP and without debating the quality of the music, the quality of the players in Nuno and Tony made a huge difference live. I took this as an opportunity to say hey to Pete yesterday. He's not in the KH band.

trevor ayer

#73 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:39 am

i caught billys latest tour and it was pretty great ... compared to radiohead who must hand out heroin with each ticket sold to make their moaning over boring loops seem coherant .. metallica put on a solid show too .. billy was great when he was on tna wrestling too ... altho i have always suspected douchery the way he cozys up to that murderer courtney love .. even saw ozzy this year and found that pretty enjoyable for what it was .. that dude is real old .. perry has lost the spark ... lotsa old dudes still sounding great .. pixies .. cure .. perry has not made honest or inspired music in decades but i guess it is always still surprising how bad his output has gotten .. u think it cant get anyworse but then it does .. maan the album cover .. that is what i am waiting for .. how does the guy who made some of the best album covers of all time put out TGEA which might actually be the worst album cover of all time .. i am actually a little excited to see the shitshow of an album cover he has got planned for us this time .. my guess is a cross between prince diamonds and pearls hologram album cover and the live sex show perry and etty have planned while people eat sushi off their asses

Hype

#74 Post by Hype » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:42 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:05 pm
crater wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:06 am

Agreed on Billy.

But all Perry ever was, was his creativity. Which he doesn't have anymore.

No one ever gave a fuck what Billy Corgan talked about. But he can still sing and play guitar. Billy Corgan doesn't even talk onstage, he lets James Iha do it. So it's not like you're walking into a SP gig and getting an earful of infowars nonsense. You get to hear Zero played note for note like it is on record. That's it. Just the music, the way it's supposed to sound, with the right people on the stage playing it.
Zwan and the SP album that came out after it both sucked, imho. Also, SP suck live. Even if it's "note for note", it's shitty. One of the only bands I've ever walked out on before they finished a set. Perry's voice sucks, but Jane's Addiction shows are still more interesting than Smashing Pumpkins.

kv

#75 Post by kv » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 pm

Times I saw them they were pretty fucking great live :noclue: