Acupuncture

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
chaos

Acupuncture

#1 Post by chaos » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:47 am

Has anyone ever been treated with acupuncture or trigger point therapy for pain? Does it work?

I have several upcoming appointments.

(I had an appointment today but missed it. It took me two hours to drive 11 miles because of all the congestion/craziness on the roads, but that is for another thread . . . :mad: )

kv

Re: Acupuncture

#2 Post by kv » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:29 am

I have can def help some...I didn't find it major helped though...are they doing cupping as well?

chaos

#3 Post by chaos » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:39 am

I don't think they do cupping - just acupuncture and dry needling. (I'm going to an MD.)

Cupping looks kind of scary. Did it leave marks all over you? Does that work better than just the needles, or does it enhance the beneficial effects?

kv

#4 Post by kv » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:01 pm

Ya it's a cycle between cup and needle that is supposed to enhance both...cupping will bruise but that's the idea...neither of them hurt though, at least in my experience

Back pain?

chaos

#5 Post by chaos » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:59 pm

No. My shoulders and upper arms. I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) on my left side. My right side isn't as bad and may or may not be the same thing.

After a certain age, it all starts to go downhill. :oldtimer: :lol:

kv

#6 Post by kv » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:07 pm

Indeed...hope it helps some

chaos

#7 Post by chaos » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:22 am

I am happy to report that the acupuncture is working for the pain :bigrin: (although I was left with a painless purple bruise about the size of a quarter after one session). I have been going to physical therapy as well. My right side is at about 80% mobility. My left is still pretty stiff - maybe 40%. :oldtimer:

kv

#8 Post by kv » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:22 pm

Trust the process...congrats on the gains

SR

#9 Post by SR » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:02 am

chaos wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:59 pm
No. My shoulders and upper arms. I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) on my left side. My right side isn't as bad and may or may not be the same thing.

I started a krav maga class a few months ago....a lot of impact both given and taken. My shoulders haven't been the same....especially my left...really sharp needle like pain that has severely diminished mobility. Was your shoulder issue(s) precipitated by an event or injury...or just out of the blue?

chaos

#10 Post by chaos » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:30 pm

SR wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:02 am
chaos wrote:

I started a krav maga class a few months ago....a lot of impact both given and taken. My shoulders haven't been the same....especially my left...really sharp needle like pain that has severely diminished mobility. Was your shoulder issue(s) precipitated by an event or injury...or just out of the blue?
Sorry SR, I just saw this.

In response to your question, I'm am not sure (and neither are the doctors) whether my shoulder issues are the result of an event.

I fell back in June 2017. I'm not sure really how. I was walking to the bathroom in the wee hours and the next thing I knew I heard a thud and found myself on face down on the floor. My left side apparently took the brunt of it: bruises on elbow and hip, and my ribs hurt a lot. (As a result of this dead fall I had to wear a holter monitor for 48 hrs. All clear there. Still don't know why/how I fell). My arm/shoulder didn't bother me right after the fall; it wasn't until Dec 2017 that I started having some minor issues. In Feb 2018, while I was shoveling, I pulled a muscle. I got I shooting pain in my left arm arm down to my fingers. After that incident the pain and loss of mobility very gradually increased. Then in July my right side started to give me problems. I got an official diagnosis in Aug 2018.

The pain ebb and flows. My left side doesn't ache as much and seems to be in the "thawing" phase. My right side, however, has been getting stiffer and is bothering me more lately pain wise. Physical therapy has helped a lot with regard to mobility. Acupuncture has helped a little with the pain. I had another session today. I bruise easily, so I left today's session with another huge bruise on my shoulder. :eyes: When I'm really aching, I can get some relief with either a heating pad or something topical like Salonpas patches or Salonpas Lidocaine liquid.

I was told that once a person has adhesive capsulitis (aka frozen shoulder) on one side, it is likely to occur at some point on the other side (although it is not as common to experience it in both shoulders at the same time).

SR - are your shoulders still bothering you?

kv

#11 Post by kv » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:18 pm

CBD!

SR

#12 Post by SR » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:43 am

chaos wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:30 pm
SR wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:02 am
chaos wrote:

Sorry SR, I just saw this.

In response to your question, I'm am not sure (and neither are the doctors) whether my shoulder issues are the result of an event.

I fell back in June 2017. I'm not sure really how. I was walking to the bathroom in the wee hours and the next thing I knew I heard a thud and found myself on face down on the floor. My left side apparently took the brunt of it: bruises on elbow and hip, and my ribs hurt a lot. (As a result of this dead fall I had to wear a holter monitor for 48 hrs. All clear there. Still don't know why/how I fell). My arm/shoulder didn't bother me right after the fall; it wasn't until Dec 2017 that I started having some minor issues. In Feb 2018, while I was shoveling, I pulled a muscle. I got I shooting pain in my left arm arm down to my fingers. After that incident the pain and loss of mobility very gradually increased. Then in July my right side started to give me problems. I got an official diagnosis in Aug 2018.

The pain ebb and flows. My left side doesn't ache as much and seems to be in the "thawing" phase. My right side, however, has been getting stiffer and is bothering me more lately pain wise. Physical therapy has helped a lot with regard to mobility. Acupuncture has helped a little with the pain. I had another session today. I bruise easily, so I left today's session with another huge bruise on my shoulder. :eyes: When I'm really aching, I can get some relief with either a heating pad or something topical like Salonpas patches or Salonpas Lidocaine liquid.

I was told that once a person has adhesive capsulitis (aka frozen shoulder) on one side, it is likely to occur at some point on the other side (although it is not as common to experience it in both shoulders at the same time).

SR - are your shoulders still bothering you?
Hey, that sounds like a nightmare. I hope the thaw continues.

Yes, still a real problem here. It's both shoulders, my left being the worst. Even sleeping on them is painful. I threw (righthanded) very cautiously a tennis ball yesterday to the pup and it was buckled over in sharp joint pain for about 30 seconds. In the left, simply the weight of my arm in certain positions is painful and I can't raise it farther than parallel with the floor.

SR

#13 Post by SR » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:44 am

kv wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:18 pm
CBD!
I'd rather tequilla

kv

#14 Post by kv » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:21 pm

SR wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:44 am
kv wrote:
CBD!
I'd rather tequilla
I swore that off in my 20's :hehe:

SR

#15 Post by SR » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:35 pm

kv wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:21 pm
SR wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:44 am
kv wrote:
CBD!
I'd rather tequilla
I swore that off in my 20's :hehe:
That wasn't tequila mang; that was caramel colored distilled roots with a teaspoon of agave leaf and sugar, aka., Jose Cuervo :agree:

kv

#16 Post by kv » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:43 pm

No sir...swore that off in my teens lol

Hype

#17 Post by Hype » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:16 pm

https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbe ... cupuncture
Acupuncture is generally quite safe, and the complication rate appears to be quite low. A review of acupuncture-related complications reported in medical journals found that the most serious problem was accidental insertion of a needle into the pleural space between the lungs and the chest wall (but this is rare). The advent of single-use, sealed needle packages has all but eliminated the risks of blood-borne infections such as hepatitis B or HIV.

Does acupuncture really work to quell pain? The evidence is mixed, with some studies showing that acupuncture relieves pain and others showing that it works no better than "sham" acupuncture (procedures designed to mimic acupuncture but to have no real effect, much like a placebo, or "sugar pill," used in medication studies). One of the problems with deciphering these results is that most acupuncture studies have been small. The design of "sham" acupuncture techniques has also varied widely, which complicates any comparison. It's also possible that acupuncture works for some people and not others.

If you decide to try acupuncture, seek out an experienced acupuncturist. Licensing requirements vary from state to state. In states with no licensing requirements, your best bet is to find an acupuncturist with certification from the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (www.nccaom.org).

chaos

#18 Post by chaos » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:35 am

SR wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:43 am

Yes, still a real problem here. It's both shoulders, my left being the worst. Even sleeping on them is painful. I threw (righthanded) very cautiously a tennis ball yesterday to the pup and it was buckled over in sharp joint pain for about 30 seconds. In the left, simply the weight of my arm in certain positions is painful and I can't raise it farther than parallel with the floor.
Based on your brief description, it sounds as though you may have frozen shoulder (although I am still working on my Google MD :know: :lol: ). Get it checked! If it is frozen shoulder a doctor or physical therapist will be able to move your arm (painlessly) in positions you can't (passive range of motion). If they can't, it could be something else (like a tear or nerve damage).

You should not do any strength training or weight bearing activity. Don't walk your dog on a leash (he might pull) or throw a ball.

SR

#19 Post by SR » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:43 am

Thanks, yeah after reading your post, that's what I thought. I need to go in. Since the injury and lapse at the y, I have gained a ton of weight so I was also thinking maybe it's a result of that. Not likely. Off to the gym!...haven't hit any weights, but have increased my elliptical to about 55 minutes and burn about 900 cals