The Dead Musicians thread

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Re: The Dead Musicians thread

#226 Post by Artemis » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:49 am

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds pianis,Conway Savage, 58.

http://thequietus.com/articles/25234-co ... ds-pianist
Conway Savage, pianist for Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, has died aged 58.

Savage was diagnosed with a brain tumour last year and passed away yesterday, a statement from the band confirms.

"A member of Bad Seeds for nearly 30 years, Conway was the anarchic thread that ran through the band's live performances," the statement reads. "He was much loved by everyone, band members and fans alike. Irascible, funny, terrifying, sentimental, warm-hearted, gentle, acerbic, honest, genuine – he was all of these things and quite literally 'had the gift of a golden voice', high and sweet and drenched in soul.

The statement concludes: "On a drunken night, at four in the morning, in a hotel bar in Cologne, Conway sat at the piano and sang Streets of Laredo to us, in his sweet, melancholy style and stopped the world for a moment. There wasn't a dry eye in the house. Goodbye Conway, there isn't a dry eye in the house."

Savage joined the band in 1990, last featuring on the 2013 album Push The Sky Away. As well as his contributions to the Bad Seeds' records, Savage also released a number of solo albums and collaborated with numerous other musicians.
One of my fave songs with Conway Savage on piano..

crater

#227 Post by crater » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:37 pm

I knew the name, but I never heard anything by him
Mac Miller Dead at 26

Prolific rapper who underwent artistic reinvention dies from apparent drug overdose at Los Angeles home

Clarke Tolton for RollingStone.com

Mac Miller, the 26-year-old rapper known for his canny wordplay and artistic reinvention, died Friday at his Los Angeles home. The apparent cause of death was a drug overdose.

“Malcolm McCormick, known and adored by fans as Mac Miller, has tragically passed away at the age of 26,” his family said in a statement. “He was a bright light in this world for his family, friends and fans. Thank you for your prayers. Please respect our privacy. There are no further details as to the cause of his death at this time.”

While initially counted as a member of the frat-rap genre of the early 2010s, Miller’s career was defined by a refusal to fit in an artistic box. He transitioned from party rap to heady backpacker lyricism to jazz-inflected songwriting in his final two albums. To do so, he often turned away from guaranteed commercial success in favor of experimentation and craftsmanship in his work.

Artemis

#228 Post by Artemis » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:09 am

R.I.P. Pete Shelley, 63

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment- ... S9wEGsUtt0

One of my fave songs when I was a teenager. :oldtimer:

clickie

#229 Post by clickie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:58 am

Many good songs. The guy was a catchy song writing machine.

drifter

Ray Sawyer

#230 Post by drifter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:20 pm

Dr Hook's Ray Sawyer dies aged 81. the eye-patch wearing singer with Dr Hook & the Medicine Show sang 1972's song, 'Cover of the Rolling Stone'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46724288

chaos

#231 Post by chaos » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:56 pm

I have fond memories of listening to the Captain and Tennille when I was a youngster with a transistor am radio. :oldtimer:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/02/obit ... -dead.html

Daryl Dragon, of the Captain and Tennille Pop Duo, Dies at 76

Toni Tennille and Daryl Dragon, better known as the Captain and Tennille, in concert in an undated photo. Their string of hits began in 1975 with “Love Will Keep Us Together.”CreditCreditFin Costello/Redferns, via Getty Images

By Neil Genzlinger
Jan. 2, 2019

Daryl Dragon, the “Captain” half of the pop duo the Captain and Tennille, whose string of soft-rock hits in the 1970s included “Love Will Keep Us Together” and “Muskrat Love,” died on Wednesday in Prescott, Ariz. He was 76.

His former wife and singing partner, Toni Tennille, announced his death through a publicist, who said the cause was renal failure.

The Captain and Tennille, whose specialty was romantic ballads featuring Ms. Tennille’s silky voice, reached the Top 10 seven times from 1975 to 1979.

“He was a brilliant musician with many friends who loved him greatly,” Ms. Tennille said in a statement. “I was at my most creative in my life when I was with him.”

Mr. Dragon’s stage name came from his days as a backup musician with the Beach Boys in the 1960s and early ’70s, when he often wore a captain’s hat onstage. Mike Love, one of the group’s leaders, would introduce him to audiences as the “captain of the keyboards.”

Mr. Dragon and Ms. Tennille in a 1978 photo publicizing a variety special on ABC. Their weekly variety series on the same network two years earlier was short-lived.CreditABC

He had been performing with the Beach Boys for several years before the hat made its fateful appearance.

“I just picked it up one night on the spur of the moment,” he told The Boston Globe in 1976, “and that night they spotlighted me in ‘Help Me Rhonda.’ It made a big hit, and I’ve been wearing it ever since.”

Daryl Dragon was born on Aug. 27, 1942, in Los Angeles. His father, Carmen, was a composer and conductor, and his mother, Eloise (Rawitzer) Dragon, was a soprano who sang on radio programs.

Mr. Dragon was trained in classical piano but didn’t take to it.

“I seemed to be at war with myself in my musical tastes,” he told The Globe. “I could appreciate the great compositions, but I also liked the boogie beat.”

He played in several bands in the 1960s before signing on with the Beach Boys. He met Ms. Tennille in 1971, when he was brought in to play keyboards for the San Francisco run of an ecology-themed musical, “Mother Earth,” which she had co-written and in which she was performing with South Coast Repertory, a theater company from Orange County, Calif. He in turn brought her onto a Beach Boys tour as a backup singer and pianist.

The two began performing together in nightclubs, and after self-financing a demo, they landed a record contract. Their cover of “Love Will Keep Us Together,” a song that Neil Sedaka and Howard Greenfield wrote and that Mr. Sedaka recorded in 1973, became a worldwide hit in 1975, reaching No. 1 on the Billboard singles chart and winning the Grammy Award for record of the year.

They also landed a television variety show on ABC as the network tried to duplicate the success that Sonny and Cher had enjoyed with their own show earlier in the decade. But the series, which had its premiere in September 1976, lasted only one season. Mr. Dragon found the whole experience distasteful.

“Television is a great garbage disposal,” he said at the time. “It keeps grinding up artists like us and throwing them away.”

Mr. Dragon produced all 10 of the duo’s 10 albums. They continued to perform after their hit-making run ended in 1979 — “Do That to Me One More Time” was their last gold record — and Mr. Dragon produced other artists. Ms. Tennille, meanwhile, increasingly pursued solo projects.

The couple divorced in 2014. In 2016, Ms. Tennille published a memoir in which she wrote that their marriage had not been the idyllic partnership it had been made to seem.

Their record company, she wrote, falsely announced that they had married on Valentine’s Day 1975; to satisfy expectations, they married for real not long after.

“I can say without exaggeration that he showed no physical affection for me during our very long marriage,” she wrote.

Mr. Dragon is survived by a brother, Doug.

Artemis

#232 Post by Artemis » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:46 am

I remember watching the Captain and Tenille tv show with my parents.

drifter

The Monkees

#233 Post by drifter » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:50 pm

Artemis

#234 Post by Artemis » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:52 pm

RIP Mark Hollis, 64

Talk Talk front man Mark Hollis dies at 64

Mark Hollis, the driving force behind the hugely influential UK band Talk Talk, has died at the age of 64, according to reports.

The death has not yet been officially confirmed but numerous media outlets have reported the news, while many fellow musicians are also playing tribute to Hollis.

The singer-songwriter co-founded Talk Talk in 1981 alongside Lee Harris and Paul Webb. They had early success with hit singles Talk Talk, It’s My Life and Such a Shame together with several well-received albums, including Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock.

The band went their separate ways in 1991 and Hollis went on to release a solo album in 1998, before retiring from the music industry.

Tributes flooded in for the influential musician on social media:

Loved this tune in the 80s!

Bandit72

#235 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:57 am

dannyboy

#236 Post by dannyboy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:09 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:57 am

Someone once told me that Keith’s favourite ever song was Three Days

Matz

#237 Post by Matz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:28 am

Shocking news. RIP. What's gonna happen to The Prodigy now?

Bandit72

#238 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:21 am

dannyboy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:09 am
Someone once told me that Keith’s favourite ever song was Three Days
Wow, maybe they'll play it at his funeral?

Bandit72

#239 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:26 am

Matz wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:28 am
No idea, it's just not The Prodigy without him. Loads of work being done in the UK at the moment with the amount of men under 50 taking their own life.

JOEinPHX

#240 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:31 pm

Matz wrote:
He didn't really sing on all that many tracks.

I am sure they can carry on just fine.

They'll do a tribute album with famous guest vocalists and it will be their best selling album. You just watch.

Matz

#241 Post by Matz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:12 pm

Right, LIam is The Prodigy, if he'd killed himself the rest would have a fuckin problem. The question is: Does Liam want to go on without him? We'll see

clickie

#242 Post by clickie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:15 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:31 pm
Matz wrote:

They'll do a tribute album with famous guest vocalists and it will be their best selling album. You just watch.
I think he was better than what you're giving him credit for.

JOEinPHX

#243 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:24 am

clickie wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:15 am
Six7Six7 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:31 pm
Matz wrote:

I think he was better than what you're giving him credit for.
I made no claims about the quality of his work, just the frequency of his appearances.

Mescal

#244 Post by Mescal » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:36 pm

Matz wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:12 pm
Right, LIam is The Prodigy, if he'd killed himself the rest would have a fuckin problem. The question is: Does Liam want to go on without him? We'll see
They cancelled their tour for now...

Matz

#245 Post by Matz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:13 pm

ok, that's what I thought they'd do. I don't think they're gonna start again with a new singer

drifter

Dick Dale

#246 Post by drifter » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:27 pm

guitarist Dick Dale, the pioneer of surf rock known for his 1962 hit Misirlou, has died age 81
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Dale
a great sounding recording from 1996
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/sho ... p?t=135004

Pandemonium

Re: Dick Dale

#247 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:09 pm

drifter wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:27 pm
guitarist Dick Dale, the pioneer of surf rock known for his 1962 hit Misirlou, has died age 81
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Dale
a great sounding recording from 1996
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/sho ... p?t=135004
Despite dealing with a lot of major health issues the last decade plus, he was a powerhouse live act and a genuinely nice guy right up to the end. He played so aggressively that he'd shred sometimes half a dozen guitar pics per song.

About 6 years ago, he suffered through rectal cancer ....twice. Plus he suffered from diabetes. He was in renal failure and refused to go on dialysis. Part of his treatment for the cancer, a portion of his stomach and intestines were removed and was only able to poop through a stoma into a bag that he wore under his clothes. He *had* to keep playing live under those conditions just to make his monthly medical costs which were apparently over $5k a month on top of whatever insurance he had. Dale more than just about any artist I know typified the SoCal beach/surf culture to me - in fact, he practically single handedly invented it.

These are just a couple of my favorite clips of his:

Guitar Center Session in nearby Fountain Valley:

Live on Jools Holland:

kv

#248 Post by kv » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 pm

Boooo :nyrexall:

Matz

Re: Dick Dale

#249 Post by Matz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:13 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:09 pm
drifter wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:27 pm
He played so aggressively that he'd shred sometimes half a dozen guitar pics per song.
:crazy:

tvrec

#250 Post by tvrec » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:00 pm