TGEA in Retrospect...

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

TGEA in Retrospect...

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Sike, it was and is still pretty fucking terrible.

Tour was ok tho

Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: TGEA in Retrospect...

#2 Post by Hokahey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Tour was ok tho
The tour was surprisingly decent. I enjoyed it more than NINJA. It had a decent enough Janes vibe. NINJA felt like Eric being dragged around by Liberace Perry, while TGEA tour felt like Perry being his more traditional self. The album wasn't the worst thing ever. I liked Underground. I thought it was the best non Eric Jane's song. Had a generally darker vibe than Strays.

But no matter how you slice it, everything Jane's related post Relapse (maybe Jubilee) was a different band. Eric or no Eric. They may as well have been different human beings.

SR

#3 Post by SR » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:42 am

I watch a ton of vids at the gym while on the elliptical. I search for some longer ones as they help pass the time. This vid of Hardcharger and MS appears to be the last era where PF had any level of credibility in terms of authenticity, vibe, and vox.

Noonesshocking

#4 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:19 am

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:00 pm
Noonesshocking wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Tour was ok tho
The tour was surprisingly decent. I enjoyed it more than NINJA. It had a decent enough Janes vibe. NINJA felt like Eric being dragged around by Liberace Perry, while TGEA tour felt like Perry being his more traditional self. The album wasn't the worst thing ever. I liked Underground. I thought it was the best non Eric Jane's song. Had a generally darker vibe than Strays.

But no matter how you slice it, everything Jane's related post Relapse (maybe Jubilee) was a different band. Eric or no Eric. They may as well have been different human beings.
In all seriousness, I do think Underground and End to the Lies were cool, and that the rest of it was just undercooked garbage.

If those two songs had been done with Eric, I would have felt they were valid additions to the legacy.

Matz

#5 Post by Matz » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:45 am

I never understood the "love" for Underground,I think it's a weird song. If Eric had been on board it still wouldn't have worked. The best song on the album is Invisible Force, or whatever it's called, but it still doesn't feel like a Jane's song. None of them do

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:24 pm

I like every song except Words Right Out Of My Mouth.

I think it's a really good album. If we had gotten Strays and TGEA in reverse order, their legacy might not look as bad. :noclue:

cabangbangq

#7 Post by cabangbangq » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:33 pm

I still go back to this album every now and then and find myself surprised by how much I enjoy some of its moments. Underground is a bit corny lyrically and it feels like Perry tries too hard to claim some non-existent street cred, but that main riff feels like an Avery era jam and the first half of Dave's solo feels like something he'd have played in 86-91. Curiosity Kills is one of the songs on that album that I find oddly engaging. In some ways it feels like it exists in the same universe as the P4P song Tonight. Dave has some really cool guitar work in that song, I just wish the drums were a little less straight and had more of the melodic quality of a younger Perkins. End to the Lies is kind of cool, feels like a TV on the Radio song that happens to be sung by Perry. Not exactly a Jane's song but not terrible.

I think Irresistible Force and Splash a Little Water on It are both really bad. Neither one feels like a Jane's song. Irresistible Force might as well be a shitty Muse B-side and Splash a Little Water on It has bad GNR vibes. Broken People is lame and shouldn't have any drums on it. Word Right Out of My Mouth at least tries to rock, but is pretty forgettable. Ultimate Reason is pretty forgettable, to the point that I had to go to Wikipedia to figure out which song I was forgetting. Twisted Tales is interesting in that it feels like an attempt at going in a new direction, but I don't think it would be interesting to me if I heard out of the Jane's context. Oddly enough, I don't mind I'll Hit You Back all that much. I think some of the stuff when it gets really rockin' is pretty lame Sirius Radio Grunge station rock, but I always found myself enjoying Dave's guitar work in the chorus. He chooses some cool voicings for a very poppy chorus and while it's not Jane's at all, I do think it's an interesting moment to see Dave's evolution as a guitar player.

Ultimately I view this album as a cool Dave led project that Perry happens to sing on. I will always wish we could have heard some good things come out of an Eric and Jane's reunion, but I thought it was cool to get to see Dave have to take on the bulk of the arranging and see what would happen. It's not a great album, but it has moments that are worth the time.

I think between Strays and TGEA there'd be a solid album. In no particular order:

Strays
Underground
Suffer Some
Curiosity Kills
Price I Pay
Hypersonic
End to the Lies
True Nature
Wrong Girl

I think an album with those songs would have satisfied us a lot more than Strays and TGEA did on their own.

clickie

#8 Post by clickie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:08 am

You say Perry has no street cred but he still does. He cant force anyone to like his new music but he has accomplished a lot.

JOEinPHX

#9 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:21 pm

clickie wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:08 am
You say Perry has no street cred but he still does. He cant force anyone to like his new music but he has accomplished a lot.
😂

bman

#10 Post by bman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:32 am

I liked the tour. I saw a few shows that tour and it was pretty good. I listened to the album again recently and I really like Underground and Broken People of all songs. I actually love Broken People. Songs like Curiosity Kills and Hit You Back are ok, but I really don't need to listen them ever again.

Larry B.

#11 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:57 am

It’s an alright, forgettable album.

It’s a very lame and uncool rock album.

It’s a disgraceful Jane’s Addiction album.

Personally, I sort of like/withstand Underground, End to the Lies and Ultimate Reason. But there are songs that make me unreasonably angry, like Splash a Little Water on it and Words Right out of My Mouth (whose titles alone are eye-piercing.)

I’ve come to understand that one of the things that bother me the most is how standard and uninspired the drumming is.

kv

#12 Post by kv » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:40 pm

Good take larry.... that mostly expresses my views (I liked fewer songs)

Everyone liked underground, not because it was a great song...it just sounded like it could have made a ten song cut on a respectable album...never like it was a hit...it just didn't suck.. ya know like almost all of the rest

Never bought tega...and I def listened to it only a handful of times as a whole...very forgettable....janes became forgettable :banghead: :jasper:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#13 Post by Hokahey » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:55 pm

I think I'm the only person that liked Splash.

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:39 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:55 pm
I think I'm the only person that liked Splash.
Nope. Add me to the list.

:wave:

drwintercreeper

#15 Post by drwintercreeper » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:59 am

The show in KC at the Uptown was great... well, not December 2003 at the Beaumont great, but really good. However, the album was hit or miss; I still dig Underground while End to the Lies, Curiosity Kills, Broken People and I'll Hit You Back range from good to not bad. The rest I can't honestly remember off the top of my head, so that says something.

The last best shot they had at something amazing was if they had done an album in 1997 in the vein of KW and So What! (but I am biased because I love both those tracks). Ezrin and Costey could not bring those weird/strange qualities that I love outta these guys. And as Larry said, I don't care for Perk's approach these days. The same thing happened to Sean Kinney: his contemporary drum lines do nothing for me.

And it says something when TGEA's wiki page's second paragraph ends with "Following the album's completion, producer Rich Costey stated, "This was a real Jane's Addiction record." No, it was tofurkey Jane's.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#16 Post by Hokahey » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:25 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:59 am
The show in KC at the Uptown was great... well, not December 2003 at the Beaumont great, but really good. However, the album was hit or miss; I still dig Underground while End to the Lies, Curiosity Kills, Broken People and I'll Hit You Back range from good to not bad. The rest I can't honestly remember off the top of my head, so that says something.

The last best shot they had at something amazing was if they had done an album in 1997 in the vein of KW and So What! (but I am biased because I love both those tracks). Ezrin and Costey could not bring those weird/strange qualities that I love outta these guys. And as Larry said, I don't care for Perk's approach these days. The same thing happened to Sean Kinney: his contemporary drum lines do nothing for me.

And it says something when TGEA's wiki page's second paragraph ends with "Following the album's completion, producer Rich Costey stated, "This was a real Jane's Addiction record." No, it was tofurkey Jane's.

That Beaumont show was pretty special. The band was clearly on the outs and that agression came through in the show.

drwintercreeper

#17 Post by drwintercreeper » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:24 pm

Yep, totally agree. If I remember correctly, Perry was slamming Jaeger the whole night and the tension was thick. Easily one of the best shows I will ever see.

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:37 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:24 pm
Yep, totally agree. If I remember correctly, Perry was slamming Jaeger the whole night and the tension was thick. Easily one of the best shows I will ever see.
Have you ever seen Stone Temple Pilots?

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself :lol: )

drwintercreeper

#19 Post by drwintercreeper » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:39 am

Nope, I blew that one. I should have seen them in 01-02 or before and I had no interest in seeing them after they got back together. Weiland was already too far gone. I am sure it would have been like seeing Lou Reed at Lolla in 08 where he tried to get the crowd to bark like a dog and it just felt really really really stupid.

nestos

#20 Post by nestos » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:40 am

you said it all, it is a perfectly forgettable effort.

to me, the wall of sound they are hiding behind sucks, drums are unfunky as hell, some tracks are pretty bad... but i kind of like dave's work on many parts and i keep listening to it once in a while

i like end to the lies, i'll hit you back, twisted tales and broken people
underground, curiosity kills (man, the refrain sucks), irresistible forces are simply correct (or is it that i cannot get the vibe ?)
ultimate reason (it starts well though), splash a little water (too much of an Aerosmith song to me) and words out of my mouth (!) are really not my tastes

:tiphat:

drwintercreeper

#21 Post by drwintercreeper » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:54 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:37 pm
drwintercreeper wrote:
Have you ever seen Stone Temple Pilots?

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself :lol: )
This is interesting and could be its own thread ... that is, bands that use(d) intra-band contempt / tension as well as Jane's and STP. I would google 'bands with tension', but I am sure it would only lead to exercise equipment I will never use.

GNR, Aerosmith KISS, and Fleetwood Mac... ha... recommendations welcome.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#22 Post by Hokahey » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:30 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
He was taking shots out of those test tube looking things. He was a little drunk and pissy.

Ironically, one of the best aspects of that show was the fact that they had Chaney's bass way high in the mix.

drwintercreeper

#23 Post by drwintercreeper » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:05 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:30 pm
drwintercreeper wrote:
He was taking shots out of those test tube looking things. He was a little drunk and pissy.

Ironically, one of the best aspects of that show was the fact that they had Chaney's bass way high in the mix.
That’s right, the bass was loud as fuck in the mix. Ah, the beaumont, where I saw great shows from volta, claypool, mastadon and jane’s... and now its a bar-grill.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#24 Post by Hokahey » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:01 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:05 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:30 pm
drwintercreeper wrote:

That’s right, the bass was loud as fuck in the mix. Ah, the beaumont, where I saw great shows from volta, claypool, mastadon and jane’s... and now its a bar-grill.
Are you in KC? Did I know you by a different name at one point?

drwintercreeper

#25 Post by drwintercreeper » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:25 pm

Nope, i lurked at xiola and registerd there under this name right before it went the way of chernobyl. lovely lawrence ks is home but i am in kc frequently.