Game of Thrones (HBO)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
JOEinPHX

Re: Game of Thrones (HBO)

#926 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon May 06, 2019 5:55 pm

perkana wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:43 pm
I never thought I would say this, but I don't like Dany. I know she has to be strong and ambitious, but she's not old Dany. Any way, I think Cersei is going to bite the dust soon, or Jon, or Jamie, or Tyrion, or the Mountain, or the Hound...
It's easier to be ambitious about war before you see what the cost is.

JOEinPHX

#927 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon May 06, 2019 5:57 pm

crater wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:55 pm
I never thought I'd say this, but there were things about the recent episode that I absolutely hated and I never thought I'd hate anything about the show ever, but these three things bugged the hell out me. I might even have more once I watch the episode again, but these are what stand out the most right now.

1. Tormund giving up so easily on Brienne after she walked away? After expressing himself over and over and over again about how much he wanted her he just gives up just like that? Didn't like it at all.
Yes. That was soooo weird. That was the definition of "write someone off by just having them ride off into the sunset"
2. When Sansa and Arya are about to learn who Jon really is .... the show immediately cuts away from their reactions? I hated that.
I hope the reaction is something we flash back to. Maybe they schemed with Jon somehow. Maybe they hatched a plan. Maybe once the plan comes to fruition, we will get to see the genesis of it.
3. No goodbye to Ghost? Just a look and that's it? No words, no goodbye pat on the head, no good dog? Lame!
No shit.

The damn thing whined too. You just gonna leave your whining dog like that? Jon Snow is a monster.

chaos

#928 Post by chaos » Tue May 07, 2019 9:12 am

crater wrote:
No goodbye to Ghost? Just a look and that's it? No words, no goodbye pat on the head, no good dog? Lame!
Yeah, and I didn't understand why he gave the dog to Tormund instead of to Sansa and Arya. :confused:

creep wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:50 pm

i think jamie will kill cersei.
I've read some speculations that Cersi will die right after giving birth to a dwarf.

SR

#929 Post by SR » Tue May 07, 2019 9:26 am

This season seems rushed...the author of the books missed deadlines (by his own admission leaving Weiss and the other guy to conceive of the last season solo.

After seeing the internet responses to this season, it is clear I don't follow as closely as the masses. But...what really confused me was when Tyrion approach his sister and begged for surrender, citing her love of her imminent child. The Greyjoy cunt was right there....he must have thought wtf....no one knows....how does the little man know

chaos

#930 Post by chaos » Tue May 07, 2019 9:34 am

SR wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:26 am
This season seems rushed...the author of the books missed deadlines (by his own admission leaving Weiss and the other guy to conceive of the last season solo.

After seeing the internet responses to this season, it is clear I don't follow as closely as the masses. But...what really confused me was when Tyrion approach his sister and begged for surrender, citing her love of her imminent child. The Greyjoy cunt was right there....he must have thought wtf....no one knows....how does the little man know
I thought the same thing but then assumed that word got out since I don't think it is a secret.

You do realize that Jamie is the father and Jaime told Tyrion? (Cersi lied to Greyjoy.)

Btw - I think this season is a mess.

Mescal

#931 Post by Mescal » Tue May 07, 2019 9:49 am

I've read some speculations that Cersi will die right after giving birth to a dwarf.
[/quote]

:bigrin: :lolol:

That would be funny

SR

#932 Post by SR » Tue May 07, 2019 9:53 am

chaos wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:34 am
SR wrote:

I thought the same thing but then assumed that word got out since I don't think it is a secret.

You do realize that Jamie is the father and Jaime told Tyrion? (Cersi lied to Greyjoy.)

Btw - I think this season is a mess.
I do realize Jaime told Tyrion. That's where the game of telephone ended as far as I know. That's why when Greyjoy witnessed Tyrion's plea to Cersi based on her unborn child, I thought he might react. as far as he knows, he is the father and only he and Cersi are in the loop. Who knows, it might be revisited later. We didn't draw the same conclusion; I thought it wasn't out there as fodder.

Out of curiosity, why did you bold one of my sentences? :noclue: :lol:

chaos

#933 Post by chaos » Tue May 07, 2019 9:57 am

^When you said you weren't following as closely as some, I wasn't sure whether you were already aware about who fathered the baby. Just trying to keep you in the loop. :lol: :wave:

SR

#934 Post by SR » Tue May 07, 2019 10:15 am

:lol: Ahhh….I see. I don't follow so good. :scared: :bday:

crater

#935 Post by crater » Sun May 12, 2019 7:23 pm

Well ... that happened.

I'm not so sure I much enjoyed that episode.

Maybe I'll like it more depending on what happens with the final episode, but as of right now I'm kind of :noclue:

chaos

#936 Post by chaos » Sun May 12, 2019 7:43 pm

I am traumatized . . .

creep
Site Admin

#937 Post by creep » Sun May 12, 2019 8:47 pm

i have so many problems with that episode.

JOEinPHX

#938 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon May 13, 2019 12:54 pm

I wanted to vomit every time the dragon torched another section of city.

In a good and bad way.

It was exciting, but fucked up.

I am loving this season though. Everyone thinks everything is happening so fast, but... it's the last season. We already got 7 seasons of people walking around and talking about what they were going to do. Now they are doing it. That's it. All the planning is finally coming to fruition.

If this was a movie, you're watching the last 20 minutes. Don't be so surprised that you're seeing stories wrap up, and don't be surprised that it's not the way you expected it to end. It's Game of Thrones. Nothing has ever ended the way we expect.

JOEinPHX

#939 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon May 13, 2019 12:59 pm

SR wrote:
Partially incorrect.

The author was just outpaced by the show. The books are really long. They take time to write.

But he didn't just let the show writers conceive the last season. He has always known how he wanted the books to end.

He himself (the author) was concerned about his advancing age and whether he would even live long enough to finish the story, so he told the show writers how it ends back in like season 5 or 6.

The show writers are following the author's plans, even though they haven't been published yet.

crater

#940 Post by crater » Mon May 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Ok, after watching the episode for a second time I'm coming around on how I'm feeling about it.

It mostly has to do with the way Cersei and Jamie went out. After all the ways I wanted them to go (mostly Cersei) the way they went seemed like such a letdown. It is what it is though. The episode is only just ok with me now, where last night I was borderline hating it.

Mescal

#941 Post by Mescal » Tue May 14, 2019 5:12 am

I liked the episode!

So much going on. Surprising stuff, emotions....

I liked the desperation in Cersei. When she s standing in the tower, watching the dragon, realising there s no way out , being completely defeated

SR

#942 Post by SR » Tue May 14, 2019 5:53 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:59 pm
SR wrote:
Partially incorrect.

The author was just outpaced by the show. The books are really long. They take time to write.

But he didn't just let the show writers conceive the last season. He has always known how he wanted the books to end.

He himself (the author) was concerned about his advancing age and whether he would even live long enough to finish the story, so he told the show writers how it ends back in like season 5 or 6.

The show writers are following the author's plans, even though they haven't been published yet.
Hmm, not what I remember from an interview I saw. He said outright he'd missed more than ne deadline and the EP's/writers were left to do it. He outright said that the books were his baby and the series was theirs. :noclue:

So, I came across this....book 6 still isn't finished and book 7 hasn't been started. Nothing much on content
\
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/georg ... spartanntp

perkana

#943 Post by perkana » Tue May 14, 2019 6:41 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
perkana wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:43 pm
I never thought I would say this, but I don't like Dany. I know she has to be strong and ambitious, but she's not old Dany. Any way, I think Cersei is going to bite the dust soon, or Jon, or Jamie, or Tyrion, or the Mountain, or the Hound...
It's easier to be ambitious about war before you see what the cost is.
Emilia Clarke has been ace as Dany. Since the end of episode 4 and all episode 5, I totally get her. I think I would have done the same thing, like fuck it, I don't fucking like you people, no fucking mercy for you, no fucking love from me, just fear, like she told Jon.
I actually liked this episode.

perkana

#944 Post by perkana » Tue May 14, 2019 6:52 pm

crater wrote:
I never thought I'd say this, but there were things about the recent episode that I absolutely hated and I never thought I'd hate anything about the show ever, but these three things bugged the hell out me. I might even have more once I watch the episode again, but these are what stand out the most right now.

1. Tormund giving up so easily on Brienne after she walked away? After expressing himself over and over and over again about how much he wanted her he just gives up just like that? Didn't like it at all.
crater wrote:
2. When Sansa and Arya are about to learn who Jon really is .... the show immediately cuts away from their reactions? I hated that.
Yeah, but I loved Sansa spilling the beans to Tyrion because everyone in the Seven Kindgdoms would know Jon's real name :lol:
crater wrote:
3. No goodbye to Ghost? Just a look and that's it? No words, no goodbye pat on the head, no good dog? Lame!
Yeah, I have to say that was a fucked up move on Jon's part, I would have totally pet and kissed Ghost.

For last episode, this was my favorite meme :hehe:

perkana

#945 Post by perkana » Tue May 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:54 pm

I am loving this season though. Everyone thinks everything is happening so fast, but... it's the last season. We already got 7 seasons of people walking around and talking about what they were going to do. Now they are doing it. That's it. All the planning is finally coming to fruition.

If this was a movie, you're watching the last 20 minutes. Don't be so surprised that you're seeing stories wrap up, and don't be surprised that it's not the way you expected it to end. It's Game of Thrones. Nothing has ever ended the way we expect.
And in every season the episode before the last has always been epic/fucked up. I was not disappointed at all.
I totally agree with you. It has been a long time coming

perkana

#946 Post by perkana » Tue May 14, 2019 7:06 pm

crater wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:38 pm
Ok, after watching the episode for a second time I'm coming around on how I'm feeling about it.

It mostly has to do with the way Cersei and Jamie went out. After all the ways I wanted them to go (mostly Cersei) the way they went seemed like such a letdown. It is what it is though. The episode is only just ok with me now, where last night I was borderline hating it.
I thought it was kinda poetic, Jamie joining his twin/lover in the end. They came to the world together and left together. But what about the Cleganebowl?
I wish we could have seen more of it, but there was so much going on.

perkana

#947 Post by perkana » Tue May 14, 2019 7:13 pm

chaos wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:12 am
crater wrote:
No goodbye to Ghost? Just a look and that's it? No words, no goodbye pat on the head, no good dog? Lame!
Yeah, and I didn't understand why he gave the dog to Tormund instead of to Sansa and Arya. :confused:
I thought Ghost was better with the Free Folk :cool:
Besides Ghost, I always kept wondering if we would ever see Nymeria again (I thought Arya's warging was going to be a thing, but guess not).
I do hope Arya gets together with Gendry, in a marriage of equals, but right after she kills Dany.

perkana

#948 Post by perkana » Thu May 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Guess you've heard how people have disliked so much this season that there's a change.org petition to redo it (400,000 signatures so far).
Actually, I've been enjoying this season a lot. This article pretty much sums up how I feel about it:
Stop the nitpicking! This season of Game of Thrones is miraculous
Luke Holland

Seeing the fury around The Bells baffles me. Are we watching the same show?

Warning: this article contains spoilers.

As King’s Landing burned, and characters whose lives we’ve been following since season one either fled the carnage or became permanent fixtures in it, the only hotter takes than the one Daenerys unleashed on her would-be subjects were those exploding across the internet.

Some calmly listed inconsistencies. Others wailed about how this episode – or the season thus far – had retroactively ruined the show forever, because they didn’t quite agree with certain things that had happened. Most lay somewhere in between, questioning choices made by writers David Benioff and DB Weiss. Phrases like “character arc” and “fan-service” and “deus ex machina” were bandied about. A surprising number of experts in military history, tactics and dragonry piped up. At the time of writing, a petition to have season eight entirely remade has garnered almost 300,000 signatures. And whispering in the background of all this were those who thought that the episode was quite good, actually. Really good, in fact. These people – GoT aficionados as much as anyone, who were wondering if we were all watching the same show – were baffled as to where all this furious opprobrium was coming from.
The major sticking point for many was Dany’s apparent transmogrification into an unhinged tyrant, as if this was something that happened in the space of five sour-faced minutes. Dany has been burning people alive since Mirri Maz Duur in season one, and has scorched her way through the Tarleys, Varys, the slavers, the loot train and scores of others ever since. Her moral unravelling has been glacial, her innate, entitled Targaryen madness always percolating, its worst impulses tamed and feared by Tyrion, Jorah, Varys and, latterly, Jon. Following the loss of her best friend, her ersatz father, two of her “children”, her squeeze, her rightful claim to her birthright, the adoration of her people and her entire reason to exist, it wasn’t much of a stretch to accept that her brittle grip on reason would snap. Graduating from only burning those who “deserved” it to chargrilling anyone in her way, including allies who would likely soon become foes, was no giant leap. It seemed inevitable. That it occurred in quite possibly the most visceral, visually stunning episode of television ever produced was a welcome boon.
The Bells was the crescendo of so many converging narratives it would always end up as a swirling plughole of viewers’ niggles, some of which had gestated over the course of this season and much of the last. Inarguably, storylines have been rushed, entire middle acts excised for the sake of brevity. It would have been wonderful to have an episode, or even a few more scenes, devoted to Dany’s descent, or to Varys’s plot to poison her (only touched upon briefly in The Bells), or to Jaime and Brienne enjoying a few more evenings of happiness together. Grey Worm’s grief, which culminated in him butchering unarmed soldiers, was truncated to little more than him throwing a collar in a fire and scowling. But all these plot-points had been made, however briefly. Then the writers chose to get on with the larger matters at hand, and have done so far more successfully than the withering reviews of The Bells, or the season in general, would have many believe.

There has been clumsiness. Arya’s leap from god-knows-where to stab the Night King is best filed under “let’s just accept it and move on,” as is Bran’s ineffectual warging as war raged around him. For all its Tolkienesque grandeur, the Battle of Winterfell felt oddly inert, main characters ostensibly fighting for their lives though we never really believed they were in jeopardy. And even in a show about dragons and zombies and Lords of Light and anachronistic coffee cups, Euron Greyjoy popping up on that beach was so daft the collective facepalm was probably audible from space. But this is all nitpickery.
Season eight had the Herculean task of bringing together a bewildering snarl of characters and storylines, then tying them off in a manner that was in keeping with the show’s internal logic. That it has largely managed to do this without the steadying keel of George RR Martin’s detailed blueprint is borderline miraculous, and makes much of the criticism hurled at Benioff and Weiss seem rather unfair.
Perhaps Cleganebowl wasn’t what people hoped for. Perhaps Arya could have killed Cersei. Perhaps Jon should have seen Dany’s actions coming before bringing his men into a situation where their worst – and, sadly, historically believable – impulses were permitted to come to the fore. But Cleganebowl ended the only way it could, and should, have. It was always Jaime’s destiny to die with Cersei, and their final scene was perfect. And Jon is, and has always been, a well-meaning idiot :lol: . Oh, and it is actually easy to obliterate a city with a single dragon, but only if you now know how those crossbows work and don’t care one iota about collateral damage. See? It does make sense.

War brings out the monster in everyone. There are no winners, only survivors. The real enemy is human weakness. The Bells hammered these themes – the very themes of Game of Thrones itself – home in spades. It’s never been a show that gives fans what they want, because it’s never given the characters what they want. It does, however, give them what they need. “If you think this has a happy ending,” said Ramsay Bolton in season three, “you haven’t been paying attention.”
Yes, it’s too short, and you do get the sense that square narrative pegs are being pounded into round logical holes. But, so far, season eight has been a fitting end for a show whose denouement, however it came, was guaranteed to disappoint or outrage great swathes of its fanbase. The performances have been terrific, the set-pieces staggering, and the writing – while not up to the standard of earlier seasons – has succeeded in creating shock-and-awe moments right to the last. Whoever is left digging through the rubble for the Iron Throne in the end, it probably won’t be who you wanted, or for the reasons you hoped for. Wasn’t that the point all along?

intertwoven

#949 Post by intertwoven » Thu May 16, 2019 8:57 pm

I've been digging this final season just fine. :thumb: Always traumatic to see a dragon get killed, and the Ghost snub was cold (yes, I value animals more than people), but otherwise I've been loving it. Excited for it to wrap up so I can stop stressing over it.

crater

#950 Post by crater » Sun May 19, 2019 7:29 pm

So where is Drogon? I thought we would see Bran Warg into him and see where he was, but nope ... Not upset by that though.

I want the "Further Adventures of Arya" please!

Jon got a shit deal at the end, but at least both him and Tyrion made it out without being killed. Happy about that.

I thought season 6 was the best and season 7 the worst.

Ok that's all I have about the show for now.