PF "Pirate Punk Politician" Premier and Q&A

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
tvrec

PF "Pirate Punk Politician" Premier and Q&A

#1 Post by tvrec » Wed May 22, 2019 2:24 pm

From Bandsintown announcement:

Tomorrow! World Premiere Video!

Excited to announce the world premiere of the official 'Pirate Punk Politician' music video from Perry Farrell on YouTube - the first video from #KindHeaven.

Thursday 5/23 at 5:30pm ET / 2:30pm PT

Please '‘Subscribe' to Perry's new YouTube Channel, and set yourself a ‘Reminder' by clicking the bell icon.

***ALSO***
Perry Farrell will be on-line tomorrow (on the YouTube Channel) during premiere answering questions!

Get ready... Here is the link!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoPyMjP ... e=youtu.be

CaseyContrarian

Re: PF "Pirate Punk Politician" Premier and Q&A

#2 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed May 22, 2019 4:50 pm

Tomorrow is my birthday.

I want a different present.

kv

#3 Post by kv » Wed May 22, 2019 7:54 pm

:lolol:

JOEinPHX

#4 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 23, 2019 12:02 am

Perry: "How many are watching it?"

PR guy: 87

Perry: "Is that good?"

Etty: "No one has ever had that many. Where's the credit card, I need a new phone"

Perry: Someone have Chaney refacebook it. And maybe we should do a flashmob. Kids today love flashmobs. Then let's do a virus video. It's all about the virus videos these days. Etty, come show your boobs for the virus video! TMZ will spread it to millions of people if we show some skin! No one is doing that!

Noonesshocking

#5 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu May 23, 2019 7:11 am

Hi Perry - are you excited for the upcoming NINJA tour?

drwintercreeper

#6 Post by drwintercreeper » Thu May 23, 2019 3:24 pm

4 minutes I will never get back. General thoughts:
* I still kind of like the song but it grows old fast
* Perry should not get political because he has nothing substantive to offer
* Perry's face still seems slightly paralyzed or aloof. Botox or the realization that the last 20 years could have gone much better?

Botox.

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Thu May 23, 2019 3:49 pm

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 23, 2019 4:06 pm

This is my favorite Youtube reply:
Z P
1 minute ago
I hope Trump invites you to the white house for Big Macs

JOEinPHX

#9 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Dave reposted the video on Twitter.
Called Perry his "pal"

Not bandmate.

"Pal"

Jane's is so done. You guys ready to start trading your Kind Heaven Orchestra boots? :lol:

kevin

#10 Post by kevin » Thu May 23, 2019 7:40 pm

I liked it? Has a 90s vibe to the video. Perry looks cool with the filter (hiding his age and face). I know it’s cool to shit on Perry these days but it’s not that bad for new music.
What do you want or expect? People addicted to heroin don’t age, they die. So he kicked it and is living his life. We all age. You wish he died in his prime like Cobain? Do you shit on all of The Rolling Stones new music? I personally don’t listen to it and don’t expect a groundbreaking fresh sound from them either.
I get that this board is more a community of ex-fans. I remember how mean people were on the OG boards and that made me afraid to post. What was the old board before Xiola? Didn’t the guy that ran it kill himself or something? I think I smoked away my memory. I will also say you come off with the musical tastes of a top 40 radio fan. You are the cookie cutter fan that is loud. The loud people are heard. That’s the YouTube, Twitter, IG talentless look-at-me social media whore generation.
I obsessively go to this site out of habit. Something I’ve been doing since I started collecting my boots. I even bought a sealed 12”PsiCom record that was in its original plastic wrap. My pice of shit brother opened it and played it while I was in Navy boot camp. That was my original obsession: trying to locate cool records and shows with the cool artwork. I started listening to Janes at around 11 years old. My older bro was in high school and would take me to parties with him. I’ve been getting fucked up and loving janes since then. Shitty parents and misguided by brother.
And I won’t read the response, never do. Mental illness sucks.

intertwoven

#11 Post by intertwoven » Thu May 23, 2019 9:29 pm

Kevin big redhead in SF, Kevin? Big props, if so. (if you read this response)
Sure, you gotta cut Perry some slack for being an old guy trying to still rock. But it really feels like Etty pushes him toward what she's into, and what she could hop on board with. It's really embarrassing.
You look at guys like Bowie and Tom Petty who put out solid music till the very end. You wish that could be Perry making honest music like that you could be proud to call yourself a fan of. But it's shit that no one wants to listen to. Even if it was the 90s, it would sound dated. Sad to think this is likely the only Kind Heaven song that's worth listening to till the end (the only one that's not so bad you have to tap out after a minute or so). And it's not even an original but rather a repurposed song from a collaboration with some other dudes from a few years back.
I'll always root for Perry to make a return to greatness, or even just something on the level of "Hard Charger" again, but if it sucks, you gotta admit it sucks.

kv

#12 Post by kv » Fri May 24, 2019 4:22 am

I don't like it....but it is the least embarrassing song in forever...

Larry B.

#13 Post by Larry B. » Fri May 24, 2019 5:45 am

Seriously, who’s the target audience for this?

Is it for all the huge amount of kids who sort of like RATM but would prefer a lighter, less aggressive voice, interspursed with light electronic elements, while watching dancers (who apparently also sing, although I can’t hear them for shit), and who would enjoy superficial political statements?

Where are these kids?

Is it for 60 year old former Jane’s fans? This is nothing like Jane’s, obviously.

This is for nobody. This just cannot sell properly.

Do you ever imagine meeting someone and going “what’s your favourite band?” “Oh, it’s Kind Heaven.”

Me neither.

EDIT: less than 2.5k views in like 20 hours. Around 25 chat comments thoughout the entire song (5 of which were simply Perry’s account singing the song’s lyrics). It’s rather pathetic... there’s no audience for this.
Last edited by Larry B. on Fri May 24, 2019 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matz

#14 Post by Matz » Fri May 24, 2019 5:49 am

I like riff, the change at 0:48 doesn't work though

Artemis

#15 Post by Artemis » Fri May 24, 2019 8:53 am

I like the video. The song is okay, nothing special. I wouldn't change the station if it came on the radio. It'll probably sound good when they perform it live.

kv

#16 Post by kv » Fri May 24, 2019 10:48 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:45 pm
Dave reposted the video on Twitter.

Called Perry his "pal"

Not bandmate.

"Pal"

Jane's is so done. You guys ready to start trading your Kind Heaven Orchestra boots? :lol:

I know you love to stir the pot, but come on dude...

:slap:

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun May 26, 2019 7:38 pm

And just like the comment about Perry, Dave isn't in a band with any of those people either :lol:

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun May 26, 2019 8:00 pm

kevin wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:40 pm
What do you want or expect? People addicted to heroin don’t age, they die. So he kicked it and is living his life. We all age. You wish he died in his prime like Cobain? Do you shit on all of The Rolling Stones new music? I personally don’t listen to it and don’t expect a groundbreaking fresh sound from them either.
No.

How about we examine how Cobain's bandmate is faring? Dave Grohl is 50 years old and still writing rock songs that radio plays, and people buy.

Perry hasn't been relevant on the music charts since Pets in 94. In 1994 he was 35 years old.

You don't have to be lame just because you get old. Aerosmith tore up the damn charts with that Armageddon song when they were in their 50s. Tom Petty was putting out good records in his 50s.

The excuse shouldn't be "He puts out shitty records, but at least he's alive"

Lots of people kick drugs habits and keep making good records. Perry just doesn't have that capability, because the only good records he ever put out were written by other musicians. He's just a frontman and offers little else creatively.

"I hummed music to Eric and Dave to play".... :eyes: ....Well I guess he fucking forgot how to hum 25 years ago.

trevor ayer

#19 Post by trevor ayer » Mon May 27, 2019 7:26 am

give credit to perry for divebombing his own career .. sure dave grohl can churn out boring middle of the road modern rawk success, but did he ever make a jewish techno opera like "song yet to be sung" .. or change his bands name over and over so nobody knew who the fuck he was anymore? did grohl ever have his wife sing lead on his only releases for about a decade .. or make everyone watch him finger bang his wife on stage during "smells like teen spirit" .. one thing perry has in common with kurt is that he married a gold digging shallow drug addict who will probably have him murdered eventually .. but perry probably could have some foo level success with his boring ass music if he hadn't thrown his fans so many wtf moments .. not in a good way .. pirate punk isn't much worse than that nin bite the hand that feeds or whatever boring snoozefest grohl is putting out these days .. perry just has no traction after his herpes outbreak type projects he has released .. perry could have done the modern rock garbage after strays ... they had a hit song and that stupid superhero on tv and had that stoopid modern rawk sound .. he could have gone the foo route at that point but instead he broke up the band AGAIN and did satelite party and the twilight soundtrack and i like em big and all those embarassing things and by the time he got around to janes again all those strays fans were gone too ... foo at least kept churning out the same foo record over and over with the same name brand and no techno no wife on stage .. all that .. stayed on the radio at least and kept whatever fans they had interested .. perry has lollapalooza .. that is his golden egg .. he don't need music anymore .. i guess lolla vs foo money and lolla wins .. boring foo music vs boring perry music and foo wins i guess .. now perry has kind heaven .. another band name nobody heard of .. and he is planning a residency at a chinese food take out mall .. i mean cmon what kind of crack head thinks this is a good idea commercially ... etty ... thats it .. perry as a musician just doesn't have a chance in hell at this point even if he put out something on the ritual level

cursed male

#20 Post by cursed male » Tue May 28, 2019 10:46 pm

Perry Farrell Rips Strongmen In New 'Pirate Punk Politician' Video
24 May 2019

Perry Farrell unleashes a blast of blistering agitprop in the video for his new song, 'Pirate Punk Politician'. The track will appear on the Jane's Addiction frontman's new album, Kind Heaven, out June 7th via BMG.

Per a statement, the video was directed by a collection of artists known as Mortis. The clip blends animation and live action, with footage of Farrell and his wife, Etty Lau Farrell, performing the song amidst a steady stream of jarring illustrations that take on President Donald Trump, environmental decay, economic uncertainty, war and more.

Farrell released 'Pirate Punk Politician' in March, describing the track as "a good old fashioned protest song about today's strongmen and their tactics of oppression."

Kind Heaven marks Farrell's first solo album in 18 years, following 2001's Song Yet to Be Sung. He recorded the album with an array of musicians that would make up the Kind Heaven Orchestra, including David Bowie's longtime collaborator, Tony Visconti, who co-produced the album. Kind Heaven also features contributions from the Foo Fighters' Taylor Hawkins, the Cars' Elliott Easton and Dhani Harrison.

Farrell will launch a North American tour in support of Kind Heaven June 7th in New York City.

Rollingstone.com

creep
Site Admin

#21 Post by creep » Wed May 29, 2019 4:47 am

Not even 10k views yet. That's not very good right? Perry has 97k followers on twitter plus all the promotion. :noclue:

clickie

#22 Post by clickie » Wed May 29, 2019 5:12 am

It depends on what you compare it to. Theres shitty rappers with 400 million views on youtube.
We don't even know if Perry has any goals in mind with this new album. It's just a hobby now for him and his wife.
He gets to play Lollapalooza no matter what.

Larry B.

#23 Post by Larry B. » Wed May 29, 2019 5:32 am

I think that by all accounts having 10k views after like a week of the video being available is an absolute failure.

As I said, there was a live chat during the “video premier” and there were no more than 25 comments.

Fucking ‘Beaten by Hippies’ is probably doing better tha Perry.

But in all seriousness, this is probably significant in terms of poor advertisement for Las Vegas’ ‘Kind Heaven.’ It’s not even bad press, it’s no press. No-one knows about it, and most of those who know don’t really care at all and most definitely won’t travel to Perry’s augmented fortune cookie store.

Mescal

#24 Post by Mescal » Wed May 29, 2019 7:09 am

Larry B. wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:32 am

Fucking ‘Beaten by Hippies’ is probably doing better tha Perry.

3000 views thanks for asking

kv

#25 Post by kv » Wed May 29, 2019 10:38 am

And that 10k was with the Rolling Stone push...sad