Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
chaos

Re: Donald Trump running for President.

#701 Post by chaos » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:11 pm

perkana

#702 Post by perkana » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:12 pm

From George Lopez:
Asking for Unos Amigos #askingforafriend did everyone get this , my Tia is #inconsolable and who ordered these #PODS #gacho

Artemis

#703 Post by Artemis » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:38 pm

:lol:

Hype

#704 Post by Hype » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:10 am

I am okay with anyone over the age of 70 making those kinds of mistakes. That seems like a pretty normal lapse.

I'm not okay with anyone over the age of 70 being President, though. And I'm definitely not okay with a sociopathic fraud over the age of 70 being President. Toilet paper on his shoe is the most forgivable thing he's ever done as President.

SR

#705 Post by SR » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:06 am

They let him. No less than 40 eyes on him at all times.

Juana

#706 Post by Juana » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:45 pm

Yeah they def let him do that, should be telling especially since the secret service is supposed to be there to make sure shit like this doesn't happen

chaos

#707 Post by chaos » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:53 am

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... grand-jury

All of Robert Mueller’s indictments and plea deals in the Russia investigation so far
That we know of.
By Andrew Prokopandrew@vox.com Updated Oct 10, 2018, 11:35am EDT

The full list of known indictments and plea deals in Mueller’s probe
1) George Papadopoulos, former Trump campaign foreign policy adviser, was arrested in July 2017 and pleaded guilty last October to making false statements to the FBI. He got a 14-day sentence.

2) Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign chair, was indicted on a total of 25 different counts by Mueller’s team, related mainly to his past work for Ukrainian politicians and his finances. He had two trials scheduled, and the first ended in a conviction on eight counts of financial crimes. To avert the second trial, Manafort struck a plea deal with Mueller in September 2018.

3) Rick Gates, a former Trump campaign aide and Manafort’s longtime junior business partner, was indicted on similar charges to Manafort. But in February he agreed to a plea deal with Mueller’s team, pleading guilty to just one false statements charge and one conspiracy charge.

4) Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security adviser, pleaded guilty last December to making false statements to the FBI.

5-20) 13 Russian nationals and three Russian companies were indicted on conspiracy charges, with some also being accused of identity theft. The charges related to a Russian propaganda effort designed to interfere with the 2016 campaign. The companies involved are the Internet Research Agency, often described as a “Russian troll farm,” and two other companies that helped finance it. The Russian nationals indicted include 12 of the agency’s employees and its alleged financier, Yevgeny Prigozhin.

21) Richard Pinedo: This California man pleaded guilty to an identity theft charge in connection with the Russian indictments, and has agreed to cooperate with Mueller. He was sentenced to 6 months in prison and 6 months of home detention in October.

22) Alex van der Zwaan: This London lawyer pleaded guilty to making false statements to the FBI about his contacts with Rick Gates and another unnamed person based in Ukraine. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail and has completed his sentence.

23) Konstantin Kilimnik: This longtime business associate of Manafort and Gates, who’s currently based in Russia, was charged alongside Manafort with attempting to obstruct justice by tampering with witnesses in Manafort’s pending case this year.

24-35) 12 Russian GRU officers: These officers of Russia’s military intelligence service were charged with crimes related to the hacking and leaking of leading Democrats’ emails in 2016.

Finally, there are two other people Mueller initially investigated, but then handed over to others in the Justice Department to handle. Both eventually agreed to plea deals.

Michael Cohen: Trump’s former lawyer pleaded guilty to 8 counts — tax and bank charges, related to his finances and taxi business, and campaign finance violations, related to hush money payments to women who alleged affairs with Donald Trump.

Sam Patten: This Republican operative and lobbyist pleaded guilty to not registering as a foreign agent with his work for Ukrainian political bigwigs, and agreed to cooperate with the government.

chaos

#708 Post by chaos » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:25 pm

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-st ... di-arabia/
STATEMENTS & RELEASES

Statement from President Donald J. Trump on Standing with Saudi Arabia
FOREIGN POLICY
Issued on: November 20, 2018

America First!

The world is a very dangerous place!

The country of Iran, as an example, is responsible for a bloody proxy war against Saudi Arabia in Yemen, trying to destabilize Iraq’s fragile attempt at democracy, supporting the terror group Hezbollah in Lebanon, propping up dictator Bashar Assad in Syria (who has killed millions of his own citizens), and much more. Likewise, the Iranians have killed many Americans and other innocent people throughout the Middle East. Iran states openly, and with great force, “Death to America!” and “Death to Israel!” Iran is considered “the world’s leading sponsor of terror.”

On the other hand, Saudi Arabia would gladly withdraw from Yemen if the Iranians would agree to leave. They would immediately provide desperately needed humanitarian assistance. Additionally, Saudi Arabia has agreed to spend billions of dollars in leading the fight against Radical Islamic Terrorism.

After my heavily negotiated trip to Saudi Arabia last year, the Kingdom agreed to spend and invest $450 billion in the United States. This is a record amount of money. It will create hundreds of thousands of jobs, tremendous economic development, and much additional wealth for the United States. Of the $450 billion, $110 billion will be spent on the purchase of military equipment from Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and many other great U.S. defense contractors. If we foolishly cancel these contracts, Russia and China would be the enormous beneficiaries – and very happy to acquire all of this newfound business. It would be a wonderful gift to them directly from the United States!

The crime against Jamal Khashoggi was a terrible one, and one that our country does not condone. Indeed, we have taken strong action against those already known to have participated in the murder. After great independent research, we now know many details of this horrible crime. We have already sanctioned 17 Saudis known to have been involved in the murder of Mr. Khashoggi, and the disposal of his body.

Representatives of Saudi Arabia say that Jamal Khashoggi was an “enemy of the state” and a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, but my decision is in no way based on that – this is an unacceptable and horrible crime. King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman vigorously deny any knowledge of the planning or execution of the murder of Mr. Khashoggi. Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event – maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!

That being said, we may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder of Mr. Jamal Khashoggi. In any case, our relationship is with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They have been a great ally in our very important fight against Iran. The United States intends to remain a steadfast partner of Saudi Arabia to ensure the interests of our country, Israel and all other partners in the region. It is our paramount goal to fully eliminate the threat of terrorism throughout the world!

I understand there are members of Congress who, for political or other reasons, would like to go in a different direction – and they are free to do so. I will consider whatever ideas are presented to me, but only if they are consistent with the absolute security and safety of America. After the United States, Saudi Arabia is the largest oil producing nation in the world. They have worked closely with us and have been very responsive to my requests to keeping oil prices at reasonable levels – so important for the world. As President of the United States I intend to ensure that, in a very dangerous world, America is pursuing its national interests and vigorously contesting countries that wish to do us harm. Very simply it is called America First!

Artemis

#709 Post by Artemis » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Artemis

#710 Post by Artemis » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:38 am

So good...Randy Rainbow is hilarious.

"Hookers who pee on your face til it stings" :lolol:

chaos

#711 Post by chaos » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:35 am

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... anta-calls

The Trumps by 6:30 p.m. on Monday night were accepting calls from children patched through to White House lines by NORAD.

According to a White House pool report, the president, seated in the State Dining Room before a crackling fire and under a portrait of President Lincoln, engaged in small talk with a child named Coleman.

"Hello, is this Coleman," Trump said in a booming voice, according to the pool report. "Merry Christmas. How are you? How old are you?.... Are you doing well in school? Are you still a believer in Santa?"

At that point there's a slight pause in the conversation as the child says something to Trump. Coleman's side of the conversation cannot be heard.

"Because at seven it's marginal, right?" Trump says, before Coleman says something else in response that makes the president laugh. "You just enjoy yourself," Trump says, smiling.

chaos

#712 Post by chaos » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:19 am

Mitt Romney's op-ed in today's WSJ:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 909e42d7c5

By Mitt Romney
January 1 at 8:00 PM
Mitt Romney, a Republican from Utah and the party’s 2012 nominee for president, will be sworn into the U.S. Senate on Thursday.

The Trump presidency made a deep descent in December. The departures of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly, the appointment of senior persons of lesser experience, the abandonment of allies who fight beside us, and the president’s thoughtless claim that America has long been a “sucker” in world affairs all defined his presidency down.

It is well known that Donald Trump was not my choice for the Republican presidential nomination. After he became the nominee, I hoped his campaign would refrain from resentment and name-calling. It did not. When he won the election, I hoped he would rise to the occasion. His early appointments of Rex Tillerson, Jeff Sessions, Nikki Haley, Gary Cohn, H.R. McMaster, Kelly and Mattis were encouraging. But, on balance, his conduct over the past two years, particularly his actions last month, is evidence that the president has not risen to the mantle of the office.

It is not that all of the president’s policies have been misguided. He was right to align U.S. corporate taxes with those of global competitors, to strip out excessive regulations, to crack down on China’s unfair trade practices, to reform criminal justice and to appoint conservative judges. These are policies mainstream Republicans have promoted for years. But policies and appointments are only a part of a presidency.

To a great degree, a presidency shapes the public character of the nation. A president should unite us and inspire us to follow “our better angels.” A president should demonstrate the essential qualities of honesty and integrity, and elevate the national discourse with comity and mutual respect. As a nation, we have been blessed with presidents who have called on the greatness of the American spirit. With the nation so divided, resentful and angry, presidential leadership in qualities of character is indispensable. And it is in this province where the incumbent’s shortfall has been most glaring.

Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney delivered a victory speech Nov. 6, after winning the Utah Senate seat race against Jenny Wilson (D). (Reuters)
The world is also watching. America has long been looked to for leadership. Our economic and military strength was part of that, of course, but our enduring commitment to principled conduct in foreign relations, and to the rights of all people to freedom and equal justice, was even more esteemed. Trump’s words and actions have caused dismay around the world. In a 2016 Pew Research Center poll, 84 percent of people in Germany, Britain, France, Canada and Sweden believed the American president would “do the right thing in world affairs.” One year later, that number had fallen to 16 percent.

This comes at a very unfortunate time. Several allies in Europe are experiencing political upheaval. Several former Soviet satellite states are rethinking their commitment to democracy. Some Asian nations, such as the Philippines, lean increasingly toward China, which advances to rival our economy and our military. The alternative to U.S. world leadership offered by China and Russia is autocratic, corrupt and brutal.

The world needs American leadership, and it is in America’s interest to provide it. A world led by authoritarian regimes is a world — and an America — with less prosperity, less freedom, less peace.

To reassume our leadership in world politics, we must repair failings in our politics at home. That project begins, of course, with the highest office once again acting to inspire and unite us. It includes political parties promoting policies that strengthen us rather than promote tribalism by exploiting fear and resentment. Our leaders must defend our vital institutions despite their inevitable failings: a free press, the rule of law, strong churches, and responsible corporations and unions.

We must repair our fiscal foundation, setting a course to a balanced budget. We must attract the best talent to America’s service and the best innovators to America’s economy.

America is strongest when our arms are linked with other nations. We want a unified and strong Europe, not a disintegrating union. We want stable relationships with the nations of Asia that strengthen our mutual security and prosperity.

I look forward to working on these priorities with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and other senators.

Furthermore, I will act as I would with any president, in or out of my party: I will support policies that I believe are in the best interest of the country and my state, and oppose those that are not. I do not intend to comment on every tweet or fault. But I will speak out against significant statements or actions that are divisive, racist, sexist, anti-immigrant, dishonest or destructive to democratic institutions.

I remain optimistic about our future. In an innovation age, Americans excel. More importantly, noble instincts live in the hearts of Americans. The people of this great land will eschew the politics of anger and fear if they are summoned to the responsibility by leaders in homes, in churches, in schools, in businesses, in government — who raise our sights and respect the dignity of every child of God — the ideal that is the essence of America.

His niece's tweet & subtweet:
:pop:

chaos

#713 Post by chaos » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:18 pm

mockbee

#714 Post by mockbee » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:24 pm

In three weeks Trump will get approximately 5.7 billion dollars for a border "wall" and the media is saying he backed down and lost.....?
:hs:

The media is nuts.

Hype

#715 Post by Hype » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:18 am

mockbee wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:24 pm
In three weeks Trump will get approximately 5.7 billion dollars for a border "wall" and the media is saying he backed down and lost.....?
:hs:

The media is nuts.
How do you figure?

mockbee

#716 Post by mockbee » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:38 pm

Other leaders in the Democratic-controlled House said they were drafting a funding offer they will likely make to Trump in a letter.

Representative James Clyburn, the No. 3 House Democrat, said Democrats could fulfill Trump’s request for $5.7 billion for border security with technological tools such as drones, X-rays and sensors, as well as more border patrol agents.

Representative Steny Hoyer, the No. 2 House Democrat, said Democrats also would discuss “substantial sums of additional money” for border security as part of a possible deal. He did not say if it would amount to the $5.7 billion sought by Trump.

The president triggered the shutdown last month by demanding money for the wall, opposed by Democrats, as part of any legislation to fund about a quarter of the government. Clyburn’s offer would be a significant monetary increase over bills previously passed by Democrats, which included only about $1.3 billion for this year in additional border security, with none for a wall.

“Using the figure the president put on the table, if his $5.7 billion is about border security then we see ourselves fulfilling that request, only doing it with what I like to call using a smart wall,” Clyburn told reporters.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... KCN1PH14I

This is the offer from Dems just prior to Trump reopening the govt for three weeks. I don't see them renigging on it in three weeks and have another closure.

I think Dems will give Trump $5+ Billion for border security and claim a victory. :noclue:

Hype

#717 Post by Hype » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:08 am

That does seem like a smart way to reach a political solution. That's not exactly "caving" to Trump, since drones are not a wall. And they forced Trump himself to start talking about drones. His entire speech was a walk-back of half the dumb shit he said about the wall over the past year. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#718 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:21 am

mockbee wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:38 pm
I think Dems will give Trump $5+ Billion for border security and claim a victory. :noclue:
No way. Dems are emboldened by their "victory" forcing Trump to end the shutdown and won't give an inch to him now. The more they push back against anything he wants or advocates, the better they look to their base. It was stupid and short-sighted to use a government shutdown as a bargaining chip in the first place. We were coming perilously close to real problems affecting *everyone*, airport and flight controller problems were just the tip of the iceberg. I think we were days away from a coordinated National mass sick-out of air traffic controllers and TSA agents that could have shut down major airports across the country.

I think what will likely happen, is 3 weeks of dicking around with no resolution leading to Trump declaring a state of emergency and using the 7+ billion they've already found from other programs which is more than he was originally asking for. Another government shutdown in mid-Feb would be suicidal. The funds will be tied up in court battles for months if not years while Trump can say "I got the funding" while the whole fiasco fades from voters' memories. Meanwhile, nothing will truly change as far as "border security" or reform of immigration laws.

The reality is, both sides care more about optics, ego and "winning" versus getting anything done. Politics shouldn't be a team sport - I could give a fuck who feels they "won" as long as the right things get done for this country and it's citizens. Which hasn't been happening thanks in large part to tribal politics for a very long time.

Hype

#719 Post by Hype » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:25 am

It does *seem* tribal, and it does seem like tribalism is a causal factor in political actions, but it may not be, or it may be overblown. See, e.g., https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... 2e5a578ff5

I think this, in particular, is an important point:
Particular aspects of identities can be activated politically depending on our own circumstances and priorities and how our leaders talk to us.

chaos

#720 Post by chaos » Sat May 25, 2019 3:18 pm

chaos

#721 Post by chaos » Tue May 28, 2019 1:14 pm

DJT is getting as big as the sumo wrestlers; I love the look on Melania's face. :lol:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/worl ... japan.html

Trump’s Ringside Evening in the Sumo Arena
The sumo ring is a sacred space where rules have applied for centuries. Foreign leaders do not often step inside, but President Trump came bearing a trophy.

By Katie Rogers
May 26, 2019

TOKYO — As the leader of the free world, and a man never shy around the spotlight, President Trump is rarely a spectator to the events surrounding him. Leave it to a bunch of sumo wrestlers to steal his thunder.

On Sunday, inside the Ryogoku Kokugikan, a stadium near the Sumida River in Tokyo, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe introduced Mr. Trump to Japan’s national sport. It was the last day of an annual grand tournament, and most of the 11,000 fans in attendance sat on mats and cheered the loinclothed wrestlers as they barreled into each other with forces that seemed to defy physics.

Mr. Trump’s experience was different. After a day of creature comforts like golf and a double-cheeseburger lunch as part of Mr. Abe’s four-day charm offensive, the president settled into a low-backed chair near the raised ring to take in the final few bouts. It was one of several exceptions the Japanese made to sumo’s rigid rules to accommodate their guest.

The president watched intently at times as the fleshy men stomped their feet or threw handfuls of salt around the ring to cleanse the dirt, and he periodically asked Mr. Abe or his aides questions about what was happening before him. But he did not always visibly react to decisive moments during the bouts or to some of the more ceremonial parts of the evening.

During his time at the sumo stadium, there were signs of support — a large Trump 2020 sign greeted the president as he approached the arena. And Mr. Trump seemed to make an entrance similar to those at any “Make America Great Again” rally — he clapped, fist-pumped and waved, greeting the attendees as if they had assembled on his behalf.

But within seconds, the crowd’s attention turned back to the tournament at hand, the first since Japan’s new emperor, Naruhito, ascended the throne this month. It quickly became clear that this event, rooted in sumo’s ancient traditions, would not be as Trump-focused as the president’s past visits to televised professional wrestling spectacles in the United States.

The sumo ring is a sacred space, where the same set of rules and rituals has applied to its inhabitants for centuries. Women are not allowed. Neither are shoes. And foreign leaders are not usually given their own mini-ceremony during a tournament, called a basho.

Mr. Trump arrived in Tokyo as the first American president to come bearing his own trophy for a sumo champion — a four-foot-tall object called the President’s Cup. So when the last match ended, a wooden set of stairs was wheeled up to the sumo mound — another innovation for this day — and Mr. Trump approached clad in slippers fashioned to look like real shoes.

The president bowed slightly as he entered the ring, and with the help of a kimono-attired sumo official, he handed the trophy to the champion. Moments earlier, Mr. Abe had presented his own Prime Minister’s Cup — a smaller man lifting an even bigger hunk of metal by himself and drawing smiles from the crowd.

Mr. Trump then addressed the champion, Asanoyama, a wrestler in the lower ranks of Japan’s top tier of sumo who had sealed his victory the day before. “In honor of your outstanding achievement as sumo grand champion, I hereby award you the United States President’s Cup,” Mr. Trump told the wrestler. The president grinned briefly and clapped.
“In honor of your outstanding achievement as sumo grand champion, I hereby award you the United States President’s Cup,” Mr. Trump told the wrestler.

The president later summed up his day, which included dinner with his hosts at a hibachi restaurant. “That was an incredible evening at sumo,” he said. “We brought that beautiful trophy, which you’ll have hopefully for many hundreds of years.”

Mescal

#722 Post by Mescal » Tue May 28, 2019 10:37 pm

Melania is a beautiful woman :agree:

chaos

#723 Post by chaos » Thu May 30, 2019 7:07 am

Jan Brady was trending on Twitter so I assumed the actress who played her died. But no . . .

chaos

#724 Post by chaos » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:03 pm

Artemis

#725 Post by Artemis » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:24 am

The state dinner menu. :lol: