Santiago under curfew

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Larry B.

Santiago under curfew

#1 Post by Larry B. » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:04 am

The people couldn’t take it any longer and have rose all over the country. The 3 most populated regions are under curfew and the military have taken over. They’ve shot people. Pacific demonstrations have also been violently repressed, with tear gas and gunshots. In the north, machine guns were used. Around 70 supermarkets have been set on fire throughout the country. There’s been some false flags too, like a building set on fire by the police, and several subway stations too. The subway is pretty much destroyed.

Monday will be chaos.

SR

Re: Santiago under curfew

#2 Post by SR » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:42 am

Wow, man stay safe.

Pandemonium

#3 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:46 am

Heard about this over the weekend. The tipping point was the newest hike in public transportation fares? Stay outta trouble and keep us posted.

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:21 am

Well, yes and no... it wasn't just the price hike per se. After the people complained about the increase, the minster of transport said "if people wake up earlier they will avoid the higher price" and "they could walk if they want". Another minister said "when the price of tomatoes or bread goes up, no-one said anything", and another said "flowers also went up, but no-one is complaining". As a consequence, some people started not paying their fare (approx. 4,000 trips, out of approx. 4-5 million trips were not paid). As a consequence of that, the government stated that those people were criminals and would have to face the Security Law of the State, which basically means that they would have to face punishments that are ridiculously harsh for an act that in Chile is not even a crime (not paying your fare).

After that, people went out in the streets to protest (peacefully), as we've done dozens of times before. That's when the president gave the military control of 3 regions of the country, where about 2/3 of the Chilean population live, and declared curfew (from 10pm to 7am). The other regions went berserk and soon there were massive demonstrations in the entire country.

Yesterday, the president said "we're at war with a very powerful enemy"... but fuck knows what enemy that is. They have this hypothesis/excuse that "the left" is behind this. Which is absolute rubbish, of course.

The social movement is beautiful, absolutely beautiful. The 11 people who have died mysteriously in 3 different fires... not beautiful at all. There's been tons of abuses already.

I don't even know if the president is removable here, because we're still living under Pinochet's constitution, which obviously would not include such a clause.

So far, I've been keeping safe. I've spent 2-4 hours demonstrating every day, but I haven't risked not respecting the curfew. I couldn't really fight against darkness and military weapons.

mockbee

#5 Post by mockbee » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:32 pm

Thank you for the updates Larry. Please continue them if you have the opportunity.

I hope you and your family are able to stay safe and that the violence subsides.

I tried to look for information about this and nothing came up on NYTimes and I went to the CNN site (i never go there) and didn't see anything, then went to World News but still didn't see anything about Chile, (except there was mention of Prince Harry having a row with Prince William and also a cheating scanal and subsequent fallout in India) :confused:

Then finally clicked on 'additional coverage' and saw this:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/21/americas ... index.html
:wavesad:

I won't be going to CNN.com again anytime soon. :bored:

Indian students wear boxes on their heads during exam to prevent cheating

By Jessie Yeung, CNN

Updated 1:34 AM ET, Mon October 21, 2019

chaos

#6 Post by chaos » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:19 pm

^You can find info on the Washington Post site. If you can't get in/don't have a subscription, the BBC is covering it.

Stay safe Larry. :wavesad: :gh:

mockbee

#7 Post by mockbee » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Looks like NYTimes has coverage, just way buried like all the other sites.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/20/worl ... riots.html

That's alright, larry had all the details I needed.

Yes, just stay safe. :wave:

kv

#8 Post by kv » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:17 pm

It's not as buried as you claim...at least in my view:

Death toll in Chile rises to 11 after weekend of violent protests

Three die in supermarket fire amid protests in Chile

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/20/americas ... index.html

Chile's president declares state of emergency after riots over metro fare hike

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/19/americas ... index.html

mockbee

#9 Post by mockbee » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:37 pm

kv wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:17 pm
It's not as buried as you claim...at least in my view:

Death toll in Chile rises to 11 after weekend of violent protests

Three die in supermarket fire amid protests in Chile

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/20/americas ... index.html

Chile's president declares state of emergency after riots over metro fare hike

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/19/americas ... index.html
Not saying there isn't any coverage, just if you go here https://www.cnn.com/ it takes you a while to get there, and there is tons of garbage along the way.

:noclue:

Also, there is a ton of stuff going on right now, so not surprising.

kv

#10 Post by kv » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:44 pm

Click World section? :noclue:

mockbee

#11 Post by mockbee » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:56 pm

kv wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:44 pm
Click World section? :noclue:
Alright, that's new. This morning, a couple times, I went to CNN and clicked World, then got to Americas and had to click Americas and then like 10th article down was that article. That's a ways to go, but I guess my algorithm has been updated. It will probably be on the front page next(?) time I go to CNN! Don't get me started on algorithms! :hehe:

Anyways, glad people know about it. :nod:

kv

#12 Post by kv » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:02 pm

Lol :cheers:

Stay safe Larry! :kiss:

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Compared to some of the stupid shit getting far more coverage currently, it is a bit difficult getting any sort of comprehensive coverage of the situation, certainly nothing like the "you-are-there" stuff like Larry's post above.

kv

#14 Post by kv » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:16 pm

As with any internet, you are the filter

mockbee

#15 Post by mockbee » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:20 pm

kv wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:02 pm
Lol :cheers:
:wave:

Larry, is there an ultimatum that the people are demanding? Just fares to stay the same, or are there additional concessions people are looking for from the government?

Hope you are staying safe while peacefully raising hell. :nod:

Larry B.

#16 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:35 am

Hey, thank you for your posts 🌹

Here, the situation is pretty much the same. The government now is slowly trying to put the blame on the communist party (as if they were able to coordinate this type of social movement anyway), which has got me a bit worried. Today should be important, because our dictator called a number of political parties to ‘dialogue.’ The communist party and other leftist parties (one of which I’m a member of) were not invited and it’s quite logical that the government will say “they don’t want peace” or something like that.

Regarding the military presence, business as usual: unprovoked shootings, tortures, stripping people naked and sending them home, beatings, sexual assaults, etc. The police have been caught numerous times setting fire to supermarkets and banks, framing civilians.

And of course, no-one from the government is stepping down or back.

perkana

#17 Post by perkana » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:58 am

Having a 70's flashback :conf:
Take care, Larry! Hope you and your wife's family and friends are safe.
Dunno if anyone heard about the shoot out that happened in Culiacán last week. Narcs brought out the big guns to recover one of Chapo Guzmán's sons. Military had to set him free because things got really dangerous and innocent people could have been killed along the way.
It's rough to see how much power this groups have (narcs), while Trump congratulated our government's actions to avoid a massacre, the guns used came from the US (only for military use). To me this all boils down to people buying drugs in the US and we're just collateral damage. What a fucked up world :sui:
Sorry for the rant!

kv

#18 Post by kv » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:18 pm

Read about that perk crazy stuff that they had to let him go or too many people were going to die (ie prob all the cops) :yikes:

Well we could say we wouldn't have drug issues as bad if not for you guys bringing it here....but that would be short sighted as well...but hey I get it rant away...this world IS fucked on all sides....it's sad when some random band website full of people from all over this rock can come together and find common ground or at least be open to listening to other sides....you'd think we'd be just a microcosm of the globe, on some level, but no...we are the exception...which is great for us....but so fucking sad for the rest of this rock

perkana

#19 Post by perkana » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:45 pm

That's why I'm pro legalization or decriminalization of drug use. Let the cartels here and there kill each other. The fuck I care.

Larry B.

#20 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:13 am

Last night, our dictator went on TV to announce a “new social agenda” to tackle our social issues. Great measures like “USD 40 increase in pensions”. There wasn’t ONE measure that would actually address what the people want. And most of his proposals tried to disguise the fact that they benefit more private companies than the people.

Most people are pissed off, but also tired after 5 days of protests. I don’t know if they’re going to continue through the week, only in the weekend, or what.

People are still being shot, the military are still burning buildings and framing the people for it. Some fires are being set well after curfew, when there’s only military in the streets.

There’s only been two politicians so far who have talked about impeaching the ‘president.’

And the government isn’t budging at all. Which makes sense, as they have the military and can work with complete impunity.

mockbee

#21 Post by mockbee » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:35 am

Larry B. wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:13 am
Last night, our dictator went on TV to announce a “new social agenda” to tackle our social issues. Great measures like “USD 40 increase in pensions”. There wasn’t ONE measure that would actually address what the people want. And most of his proposals tried to disguise the fact that they benefit more private companies than the people.
Glad you're safe Larry, and I assume your family and friends as well. :nod:

In your words, what is it that the people want from the government? Do they want more freedom (are there specific examples?), or do they want more benefits (any specific? - healthcare, social security payments, job security, better wages?) Do they want less corruption in the government (specifically? - watchdog groups allowed in, regime change?)

Maybe it's all of it, but I was wondering if there are some specifics that are really being pursued by the opposition. I know it started, or was put over the top, with the fare increases.

I wonder if the Chilean government would be so bold, and vicious, if 18 million guns, including long guns, were spread among the general populace?
I've never thought that way before. :sad:
:noclue:

But your government sure is bold in the shit they do to you guys......

Larry B.

#22 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:42 pm

The hot demands are:

- New pension system. Currently, pension money is 100% in the hands of private companies. Around 50% of the population currently receiving pensions get around USD 200 per month. And that’s it, that’s all the money they have. With that, they have to buy medication, pay for transport, presumably pay for their housing, etc. But there is a sector of the population with their own pension system, to which no-one else can access and that’s at the very least 5x better. Guess what sector that is?? The military.

- Proper tax collection. The 1% takes advantage of loopholes to pay less, to the point that a little lady selling hot-dogs in a street corner literally paid more taxes than a multi-national company that own retail stores and a fucking bank.

- Higher minimum wage. Currently at around USD 700 per month, only applicable for full-time jobs (which, obviously, means more and more companies would rather have twice as many part-time workers).

- Lower wages for congresspeople. Currently at around USD 15,500 per month (some slightly higher, sole slightly lower). It’s obscene, especially comparing them to the minimum wage.

- Tax-paid education. Basically, same as the US: if you want to get a degree, you’re fucked for life.

- Obviously, that the military leave our streets.

- Most importantly, a new Constitution. We still live under the rules set by Pinochet, because the right has never allowed a proper, democratic constitution. It’s been ammended a few times, but (for instance) it still allowed the current dictator to arrest people for not paying their fucking transport fare (which in Chile is not even a crime). And after people started demonstrating, it allowed him to call on the military.

That’s pretty much off the top of my head.

Aside from that, people have been tortured in a basement of a police station located dab smack in downtown Santiago... allegedly, people were hung by their hands from the ceiling, hit, shot, etc. Some women have denounced being raped. The official body count is somewhere between 15-18. Military and police have been recorded setting fire to buildings, which later the dictator blames on “criminals” and uses that as a justification for keeping the military on the streets.

Today, the left called on the Ministry of Interior to resign. He’s the twat behind all this shit. If he doesn’t resign, they might try to remove him from his post and then try him, but he’ll leave this one unscathed. He’s the dictator’s cousin (!)

Anyway, shit is highly fucked. So far, friends and fanily are alright. Keep you posted

crater

#23 Post by crater » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:52 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:42 pm
So far, friends and family are alright.
And I hope it stays that way :gh:

mockbee

#24 Post by mockbee » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Thanks Larry, that list is exactly what I was wondering about.

A lot of it sounds like the problems we are struggling with here, of course not as bad, but it's bad....

Larry B.

#25 Post by Larry B. » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:13 pm

Today I went to a demonstration again. The police started firing rubber bullets to disperse us at around 4 PM. I saw a guy get shot in the stomach, another lad got 2 in his right leg, and a girl was shot on the nose.

These demonstrations were/are happening right on top of a subway station where people were being tortured. It breaks my heart thinking that there may still be people in there or maybe in other subway stations, about 3/4 of which are closed and under control of the military. This will be investigated, but just like under Pinochet's dictatorship, they won't find anything now but will find something in like 30 years from now.