mockbee

Re: Happy Turkey Day, Americans!

#2 Post by mockbee » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:28 pm

Happy T Day! :bigrin:

Thank god thats over with! :hehe:

SR

#3 Post by SR » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:27 am

Thx Arty... :tiphat: No coma this year. Did a new dish though...Poached a smoked turkey leg off in stock for an hour and a half, pulled the meat set aside. Sautéed mirepoix and deglazed with a bit of vino, added used stock and steamed off collard greens with crushed red pepper and s&p to taste and then combined....turned out really well. :rockon:

guysmiley

#4 Post by guysmiley » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:48 am

Thanks Art! It's getting harder and harder to do any western holidays in Japan. I miss home. I have to cook everything from scratch and no one is off work. Even though Japan celebrates Christmas in a weird perverse way, I watch kids go to school in the morning. I get sad. I cooked all day, picked my kids up from nursery, they had temper tantrums, one shit himself like crazy, wife worked late and had a welcome party afterwards at an international school. (You'd think they would know it was a holiday in America) Just doesn't feel like the holidays ever here. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. No matter the problems you have with family, I hope you at least enjoy their company. :drink:

Pandemonium

#5 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:26 am

Thanksgiving was a bit brutal yesterday. We had planned on a quiet, leisurely day w/no relatives this time around (everyone lives on the East Coast) but at 6am before it was even daylight, my wife got a call from her boss/mall owner that he was snowed in at the 15 freeway in Lancaster where he lives and my wife (who is mall manager) needed to go in his place to pick up and set up traditional Thanksgiving dinner for mall people who had to work that afternoon and evening.

Bear in mind it was pouring rain everywhere in SoCal and pretty hairy driving conditions. I didn't want her dealing with this so I drove her from home here in Huntington Beach up to Pasadena to pick up the food from the restaurant and then over to Burbank to set up the conference room w/dinner for everyone. A *lot* of bad accidents, I've never seen so many flipped over cars driving the freeways. We got back home about 3pm just fried from doing about 160+miles worth of driving in miserable conditions. Luckily, we had Honey Baked Ham this year so not a lot of cooking to do and a decent dinner that evening.

I guess I ate my words that this big storm would be "better'n Christmas" lol.

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:08 pm

Actually, it is the *14* freeway in Lancaster.... derp.

guysmiley

#7 Post by guysmiley » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:24 pm

Only one solution...go on a killing spree