Bauhaus

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Bauhaus

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:27 pm

Very likely a reunion happening in 2019.

kv

Re: Bauhaus

#2 Post by kv » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:56 pm

2019 Pete Murphy...hard pass

Pandemonium

#3 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:58 pm

Supposedly, he’s got his act together the past couple years. I’d love to see them again if they’re all playing at a decent level. When I saw Poptone, Ash and Haskins were fine although Ash is showing his age - no more head o’ big frizzy black hair.

Artemis

#4 Post by Artemis » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:39 am

I'm going to see him in February for the '40 years of Bauhaus, Ruby Celebration ft. David J' tour.

Just saw this news on Slicing Up Eyeballs page on Facebook(their server is on the fritz at the moment)

Last night at the Stolkholm gig, Peter Murphy was thrown out for throwing bottles at the audience which resulted in one person getting hit in the face.

Hype

#5 Post by Hype » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:43 am

kv wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:56 pm
2019 Pete Murphy...hard pass
Last few times I've seen him he's been great. #KVSayings :lol:

But seriously: I'm not sure I'm up for it anymore. I already have crazy Bauhaus concert memories (projectile vomiting, dwarfs, being two feet away from Daniel Ash...). Not sure I want to water them down. :confused:

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:45 pm

This article has a short video of Murphy arguing and getting taken down outside the venue:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/ ... ttle-attac

This is a clip from the show where he lobs a bottle into the audience:

I dunno. On one hand, I'm not a fan of Murphy (and David J in this tour) and his band o' scrubs doing the Bauhaus cash-in as I think Ash and Haskins are vital components to do the songs right but he seems in strong voice, he's rock n' roll unpredictably nutty as ever and the setlist is honestly pretty good:

Main Set: In The Flat Field
Double Dare
In the Flat Field
A God in an Alcove
Dive
Spy in the Cab
Small Talk Stinks
St. Vitus Dance
Stigmata Martyr
Nerves

Second set
King Volcano
Kingdom's Coming
Burning from the Inside
Silent Hedges
Bela Lugosi's Dead
She's in Parties
Adrenalin
Kick in the Eye
The Passion of Lovers

Encore 1:
The Three Shadows, Part II
Severance

Encore 2:
Telegram Sam
Ziggy Stardust

Artemis

#7 Post by Artemis » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:59 pm

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/09/ ... UjKjaQ_Jms
Original Bauhaus lineup to reunite for first time in 13 years
Peter Murphy, Daniel Ash, Kevin Haskins, and David J will share the stage once more this November

BY BEN KAYEON SEPTEMBER 10, 2019, 1:46PM

Bauhaus is undead, undead, undead once more. For the first time in 13 years, all four original members will reunite for a one-night-only concert at Los Angeles’ Hollywood Palladium on November 3rd.

The show will see Peter Murphy, Daniel Ash, Kevin Haskins, and David J getting back together after going their separate ways in 2008. Their last performances as Bauhaus were during their 2006 run opening for Nine Inch Nails. That trek followed their 2005 Coachella appearance and their 20th anniversary tour in 1998, which came 15 years after their initial split in 1983.
Of course, the various members have sporadically performed together in different iterations over the years. Last November, Murphy and David J teamed up for the “Ruby Tour” celebrating 40 years of Bauhaus. The later also played with Haskins and Ash as Love and Rockets for some time, while those two formed POPTONE back in 2017.

News of the reunion comes just under a month removed from Murphy’s scary medical emergency. The frontman suffered a heart attack in the midst of his residency at New York City’s Le Poisson Rouge. Thankfully, he’s made a full recovery and appears ready to rejoin his old bandmates in LA this fall.

Tickets for the Bauhaus’ Hollywood Palladium show go on sale this Friday, September 13th at 10:00 a.m. PT. You can also check here once they inevitably sell out.

Noonesshocking

#8 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:33 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:27 pm
How did you know this was going to happen? Do you know if there will be more dates? Hope they hit Philly.

Pandemonium

#9 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:51 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:33 pm
Pandemonium wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:27 pm
How did you know this was going to happen? Do you know if there will be more dates? Hope they hit Philly.
My guess is the Hollywood show is a showcase gig to generate and gage interest in a 2020 tour. There were rumors they would get back together again since the end of 2018 and the vinyl reissue campaign that happened earlier this year was likely supposed to be a part of it. Murphy’s heart attack probably either delayed this reunion or more likely cemented the deal as they probably got over whatever personal baggage knowing now more than ever the clock is ticking for one more big payday.

I’m all in for the Palladium show. I saw them several times the previous two reunions - the ‘98 Palladium show ranks way up in the top 10 greatest shows I’ve ever seen in over 40 years of concerts. I have no illusions this will be any better than even the last round of shows when they opened for NIN, but I’m gonna see ‘em one more time. I imagine this will be a very tough ticket especially if they stick to the one date this year.

Pandemonium

#10 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:04 pm

As expected, demand was huge and it was impossible to get a floor GA. They added a second show for Monday and that's sold out as well. Might be doing Stubhub.

Pandemonium

#11 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Oboy, now they're adding a 3rd Palladium show for Dec 1, going on sale Saturday 9/21 @ 10am.

I can't believe they are going to sit idle for a full month between the 2 Nov shows and now at least one Dec show all in Hollywood.

mockbee

#12 Post by mockbee » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:05 pm

Is there talk of any tour? :noclue:

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:59 pm

mockbee wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:05 pm
Is there talk of any tour? :noclue:
Considering how big demand has been for the LA shows, I Seriously doubt they aren’t going to capitalize on the interest and at least play major cities in the US and Europe in early 2020 if not a few shows across the US between the Nov and Dec Hollywood dates.

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:56 am

I'm not seeing them until the 3rd show in Hollywood in Dec, but they played their first gig at the Palladium last night and this was the set. Some weird deep cuts played that they haven't done since the beginning of the 80's and nothing off the Go Away White album:

Rosegarden Funeral of Sores
Double Dare
In The Flat Field
A God in an Alcove
In Fear of Fear
Spy in the Cab
Terror Couple Kill Colonel
Swing the Heartache
She's in Parties
Bela Lugosi's Dead
Kick in the Eye
The Man With the X-Ray Eyes
Stigmata Martyr
Silent Hedges
Dark Entries
*Encore:
The Three Shadows, Part II
Sister Midnight
Telegram Sam
Ziggy Stardust

SR

#15 Post by SR » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:43 am

EA mentioned how important they are to him, but that show was the first time he'd ever seen them

ESY

#16 Post by ESY » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:49 pm

I was there. They are still really fucking good. Daniel Ash is just astounding. Peter ending with saying, “Thank you for welcoming us back.” I’m sure they will be back for more after December.

Pandemonium

#17 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:28 am

2nd show same set as the first night with one exception - they added The Passion Of Lovers before Dark Entries late in the set.

Pandemonium

#18 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:41 pm

OK, I'm watching the opening act and am fucked up to the gills. Someone spiked me drinketh. I blew $300+ on shirts and neato signed book.

mockbee

#19 Post by mockbee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:42 am

I think Pande is having a good time. :lol:

:cool:

kv

#20 Post by kv » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 am

Not anymore he isn't :jasper:

Pandemonium

#21 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:50 am

Made it home in one piece.

Completely forgot that there was a big Hollywood Christmas parade literally blocks away from the Palladium going on this night until I heard about it on the news in the afternoon. Thinking I was going to be in for a hellish drive with closed freeway off ramps, street closures, parking hassles etc, I left much earlier in the afternoon than I normally do for a show in Hollywood and surprisingly lucked out taking a few side streets between Sunset and Hollywood Blvd and was able to park right across the street from the Palladium around 6pm way before doors opened. I did hear that a lot of people had a tough time getting to the Palladium and had to park over a mile away on Santa Monica Blvd. Killed some time at the Starbucks across the street and got in when doors opened at 7pm.

Had way too much time to kill and this towering chick who recognized me from the Guns n' Roses show at the Palladium a couple months back struck up a conversation and offered to buy me a drink - who am I to refuse? She comes back with this double supposed to be Bacardi n' Coke and it tasted nothing like that. Half an hour later, I was pretty wobbly from just one fuckin' drink and wound up buying and downing two bottled waters and a movie theater quality, room temperature hot dog during the opening act to re-hydrate and eventually straighten up. The fact that I didn't eat anything all day no doubt had something to do with it. In the meantime, I picked up a couple shirts and on a rather dumb whim, also bought the band-signed big "Bauhaus Undead" $250(!) coffee table book that Kevin Haskins put out about the band a couple years ago that I later found out originally sold for about "only" $100 unsigned (Do'h!).

The opening act was some goth chick who was some friend of Murphy and two musicians playing Brian Eno-esque ambient stuff. Music wasn't bad and would sound ok chilling on headphones but as an opening act, they were a snoozer. There was no playlist music between acts, just a near-ambient looped guitar drone that went on for the approx 45 minutes between bands. By the time Bauhaus came on around 10pm, my head was alright and had managed to get a pretty good spot about 20 feet back from the stage dead center. They opened with Rosegarden followed by Double Dare and the main set was pretty similar to the previous two shows with Passion Of Lovers minus Kick In The Eye. The other change was the encore was re-arranged for the 3 covers first (Sister Midnight, Telegram Sam, Ziggy) played, then a second encore with Third Uncle as the closer.

Bauhaus sounded pretty great although the Palladium sound itself was a bit muddy at times. I can't say the show was as magical and mind-blowing as the 1998 Palladium reunion shows, certainly not as much a choreographed stage production as that tour. Much more like the 2006 shows I saw, just the guys on stage playing the songs with a few lights and strobes that Murphy would occasionally use for visual effect. And the band seemed pretty rough and rusty in spots, often falling out of time with each other or blowing cues. My impression is that they seemed under-rehearsed.

The first half dozen songs, they pretty much plowed through like they were on the clock but after about half an hour, they seemed to loosen up a bit. But individually, they all sounded and played as impressively as ever. Murphy was really strong on the vocals most of the show as well as a commanding frontman, engaging the audience while toning down the silly posing from days past. Danny Ash remains one of my favorite guitarists and still has it. David J and especially Haskins (who imo was MVP of the band) were spot-on. Most of the show up to the encore, there was very little interaction between the band members, especially between Ash and Murphy - you get the idea they keep a healthy distance from each other.

The audience wasn't the Addams Family freakshow like I saw on the '98 tour or even the '06 show I saw. Pretty eclectic mix of young and old although there were some amusingly gross, morbidly obese goth chicks here and there. Everyone was pretty into the show which ended almost 11pm straight up. Murphy made a few comments during the encores that seemed to indicate they've worked out their personal issues (again) and will do more shows in 2020. I'd bet they're going The Misfits route and will do occasional one-off shows here and there going forward so as not to blow up whatever delicate band politics with long tours.

mockbee

#22 Post by mockbee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm

Okay, thank you for the descriptive review Pandemonium.
It sounds like the band showed up, then they performed and then it was over.
:lol:

Not knocking your review, just sounds like a little let down. Yeah, that's kv smug as a bug over there. :hehe:

Sorry you got sidetracked by a spiked drink.
Did this chick just take off? What was the point of that? You still have your wallet?

:noclue:

Pandemonium

#23 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:26 pm

mockbee wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm
Okay, thank you for the descriptive review Pandemonium.
It sounds like the band showed up, then they performed and then it was over.
:lol:

Not knocking your review, just sounds like a little let down. Yeah, that's kv smug as a bug over there. :hehe:

Sorry you got sidetracked by a spiked drink.
Did this chick just take off? What was the point of that? You still have your wallet?

:noclue:
Going backwards.... Yeah, she took off after about half an hour’s worth of chatting. She was nice and the drink probably cost her at least $20. It was after she wandered off, I noticed I was feeling really buzzed, but more like “vertigo” buzzed versus “happy ta meetcha” buzzed. At that point I hit the merch table by the bar behind the VIP tables because they had a small line versus the one in the lobby which had about 60+ people lined up to buy stuff. I figured I’d maybe just get a single shirt but when I got to the table I saw the pricey book and thumbed through a copy and on a slightly impaired whim bought one along with a couple shirts. Almost immediately, I’m thinking I needed to screw my head on straight and got some water and a hot dog before I made any more costly impulse decisions.

As for the band and show itself, Bauhaus had to hit a very high mark to match the Palladium show I saw in 1998. That was one of those perfect shows made great by a bunch of factors coming together at the same time - first time seeing the band, great, bizarro audience (there was a couple tripping on something dancing buck naked near us) and a perfect setlist. Last night was like comparing Janes Hollywood Palladium ‘90 to Janes ‘97 reunion. ‘97 was great but it wasn’t total nirvana like ‘90. Bauhaus is still a great live band and the music still sounds like nothing of it’s time, or now for that matter. But as I said, they seemed a bit rusty playing together and at times, it seemed a bit perfunctory. It still was a lot better then the show I saw them open for NIN in ‘06.

BTW, reading the book, there’s a few pages of a handful of musicians paying tribute to Bauhaus including Eric Avery.

mockbee

#24 Post by mockbee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:41 pm

Okay, I saw the '05 show in Portland at the Roseland and liked it very much, however I had nothing to compare it to.

Glad to see you liked it better than that period! Also, I am sure show to show varies..

Pandemonium

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:14 pm

There's a ton of clips from Sunday's show on YouTube but this guy's are among the best ones: