Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
nausearockpig

Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

#1 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 pm

I’m seeing this in two sleeps. I just bumped into a stranger who’d seen it. He liked it and also liked VII & VIII so I think I’ll be ok.

I’m sure there will be a plethora of disappointed people out there though.

kv

Re: Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

#2 Post by kv » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:45 am

Rotten tomatoes has it rated right about the same as the phantom menace at a rotten 58...people saying it feels like they tried to stuff two movies into one to try and tie up all the loose ends

Hokahey
Site Admin

#3 Post by Hokahey » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:47 am

As long as it's better than the last Jedi I'll be pretty happy.

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Took my son to see it early this morning with the other eleventy million people. I won't blow it for anyone else, but it has it's pros and cons. Pros include it is pretty jam packed with action from start to finish, some cool bits here and there that should please even the most cynical Star Wars fans. It seems like Disney tried to please old school fans and appeal to the SJW/woke brigade and is not entirely successful either way.

Cons include cramming a lot of character/plot info and twists that at times gets convoluted and confusing. Apparently The Force is like Jesus Juice, you can do pretty much anything with it now. And bringing back a pair of characters who have no business being alive as if the writers couldn't come up with equally interesting new characters is eye-rollingly bad. IMO, it's the best of the recent trilogy but I did like the standalone Rogue One a little better, so there's that.

BTW, hardcore Star Wars fans are some weird people.

mockbee

#5 Post by mockbee » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:38 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:36 pm

How old are these people? Like OGs and in their early 40s mid 50s or mostly Millenials?

I was pretty exvited for the rereleases of the originals way back when and then saw that first one with jar jar and decided there are much better ways to use my time and money.....
:bored:

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:39 pm

I saw it last night.

Absolutely loved it.

After dipshit Rian Johnson made everyone emo and killed off the 2 most powerful people in the universe in his shit film, JJ Abrams did a fantastic job of piecing together a story that actually seemed like a damn Star Wars movie.

I cried 7 and 2 half times.

I give it an 8 out of 10.

:rockon:

JOEinPHX

#7 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:43 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Apparently The Force is like Jesus Juice, you can do pretty much anything with it now.
In the original trilogy, Vader force choked someone across space and time just by looking at him on a video chat.

There is nothing in this film that is much different from that. It's all just physical manifestation in the end. I understand your point, though.
And bringing back a pair of characters who have no business being alive as if the writers couldn't come up with equally interesting new characters is eye-rollingly bad.
Well the main baddy was SUPPOSED to be Snoke, but that dipshit Rian Johnson killed him with no thought or reason. So he had to pivot. I think it was a solid pivot.

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:14 am

mockbee wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:38 pm
Pandemonium wrote:

How old are these people? Like OGs and in their early 40s mid 50s or mostly Millenials?
I had two guys in their 20's both dressed like Princess Leia sitting a few seats away from us. Because it was an early show and one of the first of opening day, there was a lot of fans dressed up as SW characters of all ages from little tykes to guys older than me.

mockbee

#9 Post by mockbee » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:15 am

Sounds like you were the weird one for not dressing up in a costume.....

:lol:

nausearockpig

#10 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:32 pm

I liked it better than TLJ, but thought bringing back Palpy was a mistake. I get that JJ thought that was a good way to rein the story back in after TLJ though. Could’ve been better, could’ve been worse, I’ll watch it a few more times at the cinema then when it comes out at home watch it a lot more times.

It seemed a bit busy or cramped though. Perhaps they would have been better off having a bit more space to give audiences a bit more breathing space. Something TLJ did too much of.

I’ve read there are already a lot of angry nerds out there but cmon, that’s always gonna be the case. If Disney did A, group X would be upset and we’d all hear about it. If Disney did B group Y would be upset and we’d all hear about it. It goes on forever and you can’t please everyone nor can you make the movies “as good” as the OT.

Pandemonium

#11 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:50 am

mockbee wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:15 am
Sounds like you were the weird one for not dressing up in a costume.....

:lol:
Speaking of goofy Star Wars uber-nerds:

JOEinPHX

#12 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:17 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:32 pm
I liked it better than TLJ, but thought bringing back Palpy was a mistake.
There weren't many other places to go.

Snoke was supposed to be the main baddy, and Rian Johnson just killed him off without a second though. And he killed off Luke without a second thought. JJ Abrams introduced new characters to take on a journey that involved the old ones, and Rian Johnson just made them all sad and directionless for 3 hours.

Your top hero, and top villain, get squashed in part two. So what is the payoff in part 3? Two teenagers fall in love and conquer the First Order while making googly eyes at each other the whole time?

There was the side story with Finn and Captain Phasma... but oh wait.... RIAN KILLED HER TOO :eyes:

Rey wasn't yet set up as a hero yet. Neither was Finn or Poe.

Kylo was left in a whiney emo stage where all he did was wreck shit for no reason and had no master plan.

So you get one movie to figure out who the hero is, who the villain is, and somehow have to conclude something called THE SKYWALKER SAGA that has been going on for 40 years at the same damn time.

And all this with a dead cast member who is still alive in the films because somehow she's suddenly Space Mary Poppins.

JJ Abrams did an amazing job with the scraps of a story that Rian Johnson left him. Rian just shitcanned the whole thing to see how people would react. Which was retarded.

nausearockpig

#13 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:27 pm

Yeah I’d read that Disney had an overall plan for the trilogy and that this plan was followed with the movies. I find that hard to believe. Also, I find it hard to understand how a billion dollar franchise could be let loose like it has been without a general story plan. None of it makes any sense. One thing’s for sure: the sequel trilogy did not do enough to honour the original trilogy story, characters, feeling and fan experience.

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:07 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:27 pm
Yeah I’d read that Disney had an overall plan for the trilogy and that this plan was followed with the movies. I find that hard to believe. Also, I find it hard to understand how a billion dollar franchise could be let loose like it has been without a general story plan. None of it makes any sense. One thing’s for sure: the sequel trilogy did not do enough to honour the original trilogy story, characters, feeling and fan experience.
JJ Abrams apparently had a plan in place, but Rian Johnson chucked it when he was tasked with doing the second movie.

The fact that Disney would allow this, after seeing how tightly controlled Marvel is with their movies, is astonishing.

The worst thing that ever happened to Star Wars, was when it was sold to Disney.

nausearockpig

#15 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:43 pm

Yeh all of this is true.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#16 Post by Hokahey » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:12 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:39 pm
I saw it last night.

Absolutely loved it.

After dipshit Rian Johnson made everyone emo and killed off the 2 most powerful people in the universe in his shit film, JJ Abrams did a fantastic job of piecing together a story that actually seemed like a damn Star Wars movie.

I cried 7 and 2 half times.

I give it an 8 out of 10.

:rockon:
Agree on all parts. Except I might have liked it even more. Fuck Riann Johnson for almost ruining Star Wars, and praise JJ for finding a way to not just save it, but save it in spectacular manner.

Tyler Durden

#17 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:45 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:07 pm

The worst thing that ever happened to Star Wars, was when it was sold to Disney.
Did you see the prequels and "Special Editions"?! :lol:

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:26 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:45 am
Six7Six7 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:07 pm

Did you see the prequels and "Special Editions"?! :lol:
I stand corrected.

perkana

#19 Post by perkana » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:04 pm

I have to say I enjoyed TLJ when it came out, but yeah, I agree with what you all said. I enjoyed this last one. Rogue One was my favorite of the stand alones. As much as I wanted to like the Han Solo movie, it was too boring.
So what's next?

nausearockpig

#20 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:59 pm

You could watch The Mandalorian. Catch up on The Clone Wars before S7 comes out next month. There’s also Rebels and Resistance. Resistance is a bit shit tho.

Obi-Wan series coming this or next year I think.

perkana

#21 Post by perkana » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:54 pm

Not much into series (and I don't plan on spending money on another webstream channel). I'm only interested in movies :noclue:

nausearockpig

#22 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:22 pm

Fair enough. There’s lots of love out there for the animated shows though.

I believe there’s a Rey solo movie planned where she rebuilds the Jedi order, a Knights of the Old Republic trilogy planned, and there’s fans clamouring for Solo 2.

Not sure if any of these are actually confirmed and green-lit or just “in talks”. Seems that quite regularly there’s a new movie or series planned then retracted then changed then blah blah blah.

I saw a thing that Disney plans on releasing a new SW movie each year from 2021. But that will probably change again. Hahah

JOEinPHX

#23 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:39 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:22 pm
Fair enough. There’s lots of love out there for the animated shows though.

I believe there’s a Rey solo movie planned where she rebuilds the Jedi order, a Knights of the Old Republic trilogy planned, and there’s fans clamouring for Solo 2.

Not sure if any of these are actually confirmed and green-lit or just “in talks”. Seems that quite regularly there’s a new movie or series planned then retracted then changed then blah blah blah.

I saw a thing that Disney plans on releasing a new SW movie each year from 2021. But that will probably change again. Hahah
I think that changed when Solo tanked.

nausearockpig

#24 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:11 pm

That was the original plan (or maybe it was 2 per year?)then it changed again in the last month or so.

They keep flip-flopping. Which is strange for such a large company that you’d think would have a solid corporate release strategy.