New Pearl Jam

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
mockbee

Re: New Pearl Jam

#26 Post by mockbee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:31 am

:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:06 am
mockbee wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:53 am
What do think of this Clairvoyant track?
I love the vocals and lyrics...in my opinion, very thought provoking. I also love the guitar work. The drums are okay...apparently, it's Matt Cameron playing and not a machine...though I'm not big on the drum fill going into the first chorus, which sounds like some weird "midi" sample or something. The keyboard and bass are fine.

But the drums, keyboard, and bass all together make them sound like Depeche Mode or something upon initial listens...and completely flies in the face of their traditional, organic, "Neil Young", meat and potatoes sound.

I do enjoy the track but I think it will make more sense upon hearing it within the context of the full album (how I usually fully assess songs by bands I follow). So, on a certain level, I'm still reserving judgment. It reminds me of when R.E.M. debuted "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" or when U2 dropped "The Fly"...people were kind of perplexed but then it all made sense once the respective albums came out.
See, I think we are coming at this at different directions. If it keeps going like this I can see getting back into PJ. Was HUGE fan the day 10 came out, then just seemed all the same after No Code.
This would be the album maybe I would have been looking for in '96 if it keeps going in this direction in a quality fashion.
:bigrin:

Tyler Durden

#27 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:51 am

mockbee wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:31 am
:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:06 am
mockbee wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:53 am
What do think of this Clairvoyant track?
I love the vocals and lyrics...in my opinion, very thought provoking. I also love the guitar work. The drums are okay...apparently, it's Matt Cameron playing and not a machine...though I'm not big on the drum fill going into the first chorus, which sounds like some weird "midi" sample or something. The keyboard and bass are fine.

But the drums, keyboard, and bass all together make them sound like Depeche Mode or something upon initial listens...and completely flies in the face of their traditional, organic, "Neil Young", meat and potatoes sound.

I do enjoy the track but I think it will make more sense upon hearing it within the context of the full album (how I usually fully assess songs by bands I follow). So, on a certain level, I'm still reserving judgment. It reminds me of when R.E.M. debuted "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" or when U2 dropped "The Fly"...people were kind of perplexed but then it all made sense once the respective albums came out.
See, I think we are coming at this at different directions. If it keeps going like this I can see getting back into PJ. Was HUGE fan the day 10 came out, then just seemed all the same after No Code.
This would be the album maybe I would have been looking for in '96 if it keeps going in this direction in a quality fashion.
I like the experimentation...it just seems jarring for them as their musical "progression" into other territories has been traditionally, very incremental...or slow.

I don't want a "Pearl Jam Goes Dance/Electro" album...nor do I want their basic meat and potatoes rock of yesteryear. I'm looking for something in between that is pretty seamless.

I'm surprised you didn't like Yield...it's fantastic! Binaural and Riot Act are where I soured on them some...boring and kind of bad, respectively. The last three records ("Avocado", Backspacer, Lightning Bolt) have been good, albeit "playing it safe" efforts.

mockbee

#28 Post by mockbee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:10 am

I've been meaning to check out Yield again front to back.

Last time I did that was, well I dont even think I listened to all the tracks, was '98. :hehe:
And my tastes have changed a half dozen times over since then. :tiphat:

Tyler Durden

#29 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:22 pm

mockbee wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:10 am

Last time I did that was, well I dont even think I listened to all the tracks, was '98. :hehe:

mockbee

#30 Post by mockbee » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:33 am

mockbee wrote:

Well, did it.

Yes, it's definitely a solid album. A couple tracks were annoying, maybe I would grow to like them, but overall I could see how this is considered a classic/original PJ and builds on their previous work, especially VS and NC. I don't really ever feel like listening to pj anymore, but if I did I would listen to this regularly.

:noclue:

One pj track/version (from NC), that has to be my favorite, that I have really, really enjoyed lately is this:
:mediate: :worship:

Tyler Durden

#31 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:37 pm

mockbee wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:33 am
Well, did it.

Yes, it's definitely a solid album. A couple tracks were annoying, maybe I would grow to like them, but overall I could see how this is considered a classic/original PJ and builds on their previous work, especially VS and NC. I don't really ever feel like listening to pj anymore, but if I did I would listen to this regularly.
Glad you revisited it.

I can see how people might find "Pilate" or "No Way" annoying...but the same could be said of "Habit" or "Lukin" from No Code. To me, Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield are like the holy trinity for die hard PJ fans, leaving behind the Ten worshipers who quickly checked out. These albums are like 70s classic rock mysticism meets 90s angst.

Love "In My Tree". :thumb:

JOEinPHX

#32 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:56 pm

mockbee wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:31 am

Binaural was a huge stylistic departure. I kind of liken that album to where they are right now with Dance of the Clairvoyants. It's a little darker and a little spacey.

You Are. Of The Girl. Nothing as it Seems. Stuff like that.

And that was after No Code.

Riot Act was more in line with Yield and No Code. Differing styles amongst the tracks, rocking in the bluesier territory.

After that though, starting with Avocado, is when they settled into 3 straight albums that were all just kind of the same.

Avocado, Backspacer, and Lightning Bolt just all had this overpolished Green Day pop rock going on. I didn't like those albums save for a handful of songs on each.
I was really hoping that the whole album was 80s influenced, but after seeing a breakdown of track descriptions, that doesn't seem to be the case. No matter what we get, I just hope there is a fire lit under their asses.

The last 3 albums were Pearl Jam Paint-By-Numbers and I want something more artistic.
Last edited by JOEinPHX on Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOEinPHX

#33 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:58 pm

mockbee wrote:

After No Code, Yield is my favorite album of theirs. I feel like it's where the finally settled in and said "THIS is who we are as a band"

I can listen to it from start to finish and skip nothing but 🔴, which is basically the album's "Bugs" :lol:

JOEinPHX

#34 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:02 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:37 pm
To me, Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield are like the holy trinity for die hard PJ fans,
That or No Code/Yield/Binauraul, which is the camp I fall into. Those were the 3 I really felt explore the most musical ground.
leaving behind the Ten worshipers who quickly checked out.
I can't even tell you how many people are commenting on Dance of the Clairvoyants saying shit like "What the hell happened to Pearl Jam? You're a rock band!", and it's clear they never listened to anything after Ten.

Fuck those people.
These albums are like 70s classic rock mysticism meets 90s angst.
That's one thing I like about Pearl Jam is that I feel like I can listen to Tom Petty, then Pearl Jam, then someone like Band of Horses and the bridge is there tying the old to the new.
Love "In My Tree". :thumb:
That's in my top 3 favorites of theirs. :rockon:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#35 Post by Hokahey » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:17 pm

I used to love Pearl Jam as much as I loved Jane's. True story. I bought their albums up to Riot Act. The last one I cared for was Yield.

JOEinPHX

#36 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:25 pm

Understandable.

They are by far my favorite band. I'm about to see them for the 16th time. And even still... Riot Act I think was the last album of theirs I really enjoyed start to finish.

Even still, I have found 3-4 songs I liked on each album since. So there's still quality coming from them. Just not enough for me to want to listen to the albums start to finish. They got a little predictable for a decade. Which is why Dance of the Clairvoyants was something I was so happy to hear. It's so unexpected. I needed that.

Tyler Durden

#37 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:11 pm

My take on post 90s Pearl Jam...

Binaural: Many great songs on this album. There is an experimental side to many songs like Of The Girl, Sleight of Hand, and Rival. But the album suffers from underwhelming production...especially on the rockers. Lights Years is the standout track for me.

Riot Act: Their post 9/11 album and it shows. The album is generally dark and depressing. No "Alive"'s or "Given To Fly"'s on this one. I find the album lacks some inspiring tracks of that nature and there are just too many tracks, in general...both rock filler (like Ghost) and experimental filler (like Help Help). If this album had cut the number of tracks, changed the sequence, and included some of the B-sides, it would've been a way better album. How did they decide to leave Down or Undone off?! Love I Am Mine, Green Disease, and You Are.

Avocado: I personally think this album kicks fucking ass! The rock songs (Life Wasted, Worldwide Suicide, etc) have crunch and balls! There is an anger on the album, but it is more get up and go than it is depressing. There's some fat with Unemployable and Big Wave...but that could be said about any Pearl Jam album, including the greats. I like the departures like Parachutes and Inside Job. It feels like the band is having some fun again...something not really heard since the Yield album.

Backspacer: Some by the numbers filler like Got Some...but overall, I think this album is solid and way underrated. Yes, its very streamlined and accessible...nothing wrong with that. A short and to the point album. I absolutely love Unthought Known.

Lightning Bolt: Their weakest effort since Riot Act. This one is pretty safe and feels kind of phoned in. What's the point of a full band version of Sleeping By Myself? I actually like their answer to the 80s power ballad (Sirens). Infallible and Pendulum are the most daring of the bunch here. And Swallowed Whole is a fun love letter to getting lost in nature. Overall, the album just has a redundant, tired feeling.

intertwoven

#38 Post by intertwoven » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:48 pm

Oh man, I love "Unemployable"!

Tyler Durden

#39 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:52 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:48 pm
I like it okay...just not what I feel is one of the stronger songs on the album. It has a Police vibe to me, for some reason; that's a compliment.

drwintercreeper

#40 Post by drwintercreeper » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:00 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Yep, it’s bliss. But i agree with most sentiments here.... fantastic albums through binaural, too much filler on riot act, and they phoned it in avacado-lightnight bolt. As far as riot sft bsides, undone sucked. Down was fun. Otherside was pretty. 4-20-02 from those sessions was the best thing ed wrote in the 00s.

No code is my second favorite album of all time. Last three albums have had at least 3 great songs, sometimes with killer screams (world wide suicide), but too many dull songs.

I saw four shows on the riot act tour which remains a highlight of my youth. Jazz fest in ‘16 was also a great memory. I really prefer seekng them outdoors to arenas though. In kc in 2003, rain poured and lightning was nuts. You can hear the crowd react to it on the boot, and ed says “hi dad”. Great memory.

Check reddit for a google drive link to all official boots in flac.

drwintercreeper

#41 Post by drwintercreeper » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:05 pm

Oh and i love Matt Cameron, but he cannot play in my tree like jack. But then jack couldnt play any of dave a’s songs the right way. Love matt as a writer though, particularly Evacuation and you are.

Tyler Durden

#42 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:52 pm

“River Cross”...

JOEinPHX

#43 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:28 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Me too.

JOEinPHX

#44 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:31 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:05 pm
Oh and i love Matt Cameron, but he cannot play in my tree like jack. But then jack couldnt play any of dave a’s songs the right way. Love matt as a writer though, particularly Evacuation and you are.
The thing I like most about Matt is that he doesn't hit the symbols every 6 seconds like Dave A did.

That dude was a monster drummer, but holy fuck did he just never know how to leave the symbols alone. It's so annoying to hear loud crashes and tsss tsss tsss tsss tssss through every live song.

I liked how minimalist Jack was. I feel like it left a lot more space for other instruments to explore. Or maybe they were just exploring alot more in general back then. Either way, it worked really well.

drwintercreeper

#45 Post by drwintercreeper » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:48 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:31 pm
drwintercreeper wrote:
The thing I like most about Matt is that he doesn't hit the symbols every 6 seconds like Dave A did.

That dude was a monster drummer, but holy fuck did he just never know how to leave the symbols alone. It's so annoying to hear loud crashes and tsss tsss tsss tsss tssss through every live song.

I liked how minimalist Jack was. I feel like it left a lot more space for other instruments to explore. Or maybe they were just exploring alot more in general back then. Either way, it worked really well.
agree, Dave A. could go overboard on the cymbals a lot. After thinking about it more, I think Matt most disservices Hail, Hail and Brain of J and In My Tree; Jack did not do justice to Not For You and others I am sure. But Matt is definitely their strongest drummer.

If you haven't checked out Jack's solo records, they are fun. Attention Dimension is fantastic.

JOEinPHX

#46 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:11 am

drwintercreeper wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:48 am
Six7Six7 wrote:
drwintercreeper wrote:

agree, Dave A. could go overboard on the cymbals a lot. After thinking about it more, I think Matt most disservices Hail, Hail and Brain of J and In My Tree; Jack did not do justice to Not For You and others I am sure. But Matt is definitely their strongest drummer.

If you haven't checked out Jack's solo records, they are fun. Attention Dimension is fantastic.
I used to keep up with the solo projects way more in the past, but very few of them actually did much for me other than Brad. But 90% of that was Shawn Smith's voice. What an awful loss for the music community.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#47 Post by Hokahey » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:48 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:11 am
drwintercreeper wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:48 am
Six7Six7 wrote:
drwintercreeper wrote:

I used to keep up with the solo projects way more in the past, but very few of them actually did much for me other than Brad. But 90% of that was Shawn Smith's voice. What an awful loss for the music community.
God dammit. I didn't know he died. How did I miss that?

I met Shawn when Brad was touring in 1997.

My GF and I were at the venue early and he walked out the front door. We said hello and he was beyond gracious. We chatted for quite awhile. He was happy to tell stories. I specifically remember him telling us how the band got its name and where the picture from the first album cover came from.

He then asked us if we wanted to meet the rest of the band and walked us around the building.

Everyone was in the back lot playing soccer with the opening band Headswim, minus Stone Gossard.

Shawn asked us if we wanted to meet Stone and of course we said yes. So he volunteered to go get him.

Keep in mind I think we are both around 17 years old at the time. We were very conscious of not wearing Pearl Jam t-shirts, unlike everyone else there, and made no mention of Pearl Jam to Shawn. We were big Brad fans and that's who we were there to see.

Stone appears very tentatively behind Shawn out the back door. Shawn is practically coaxing him out. Stone looks at us with zero expression. We say hello and tell him we are big Brad fans and love their then two records. He finally emerges but mumbles his responses.

After a few minutes he says he's going back in. I say "well thanks for not being a dick." And he replies "trust me I can be."

The rest of the band looked a little embarrassed.

And that's my story of when I determined Shawn Smith was an awesome person and Stone Gossard was not.

RIP Shawn.

Tyler Durden

#48 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:11 am

Hokahey wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:48 am
After a few minutes he says he's going back in. I say "well thanks for not being a dick." And he replies "trust me I can be."

The rest of the band looked a little embarrassed.

And that's my story of when I determined Shawn Smith was an awesome person and Stone Gossard was not.

RIP Shawn.
I've never met Stone but that definitely sounds like something he would say/do. My impression is he had (or still has?) that air of arrogance/superiority...with a sarcastic bent.

JOEinPHX

#49 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:51 am

The stories I hear about Stone usually tend to be how not social he tends to be. In fact when I went to the Home Shows in Seattle in 2018, I was seated in front of his wife at Night 1 (I personally didn't know that. It was the people seated around her that were asking her questions that lead to me getting that info), and one of the fans was talking to her about Stone and she mentioned how weird and quiet he is.

Even onstage he just kind of chills out in the corner and there is zero crowd interaction. There may be a little bit of asshole in there, but I think he mostly just wants to play music and be left alone.

Luckily Mike is the exact opposite. Dude has been known to actually just go walk around the venue looking for people to take pictures with and talk to. Matt seems to enjoy hanging out too.

Tyler Durden

#50 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:00 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:51 am
The stories I hear about Stone usually tend to be how not social he tends to be. In fact when I went to the Home Shows in Seattle in 2018, I was seated in front of his wife at Night 1 (I personally didn't know that. It was the people seated around her that were asking her questions that lead to me getting that info), and one of the fans was talking to her about Stone and she mentioned how weird and quiet he is.

Even onstage he just kind of chills out in the corner and there is zero crowd interaction. There may be a little bit of asshole in there, but I think he mostly just wants to play music and be left alone.

Luckily Mike is the exact opposite. Dude has been known to actually just go walk around the venue looking for people to take pictures with and talk to. Matt seems to enjoy hanging out too.
I'm speaking of 90s Stone. He definitely had more stage presence then. And he wasn't as mellow or reserved during that time. Or perhaps he was quiet then too...but there was an arrogance. It's touched on in PJ20 when he talks about being sarcastic back in the day. It's evident in interviews from that early period.

Mike is definitely the opposite. During the 90s, he seemed like a train wreck and was less visible. In the band's latter years, it's like he's become the spokesperson for the band...very accessible.