What's annoying you today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Re: What's annoying you today?

#5126 Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:07 pm

This is a general annoyance...when people say "feel" instead of "think".

"I feel like we could play better if we practised more" instead of "I think we could play better if we practised more."

Hype

#5127 Post by Hype » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:27 am

Artemis wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:07 pm

"I feel like we could play better if we practised more" instead of "I think we could play better if we practised more."
The worst is when they write that in their essays about what philosophers think/argue! "Descartes feels that..." uh... no, that's.. ah forget it. C-.

mockbee

#5128 Post by mockbee » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:12 am

Hype wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:27 am

uh... no, that's.. ah forget it. C-.
Is that the lowest grade you are allowed to give?

Does administration explicitly tell you how many students are allowed to fail, or is more of an understood thing, other pressures hold more sway to pass the vast majority of students?
:noclue:

SR

#5129 Post by SR » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:14 am

Hyperinflation

chaos

#5130 Post by chaos » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:27 am

Hype wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:07 pm

The worst is when they write that in their essays about what philosophers think/argue! "Descartes feels that..." uh... no, that's.. ah forget it. C-.
:lol:

Hype

#5131 Post by Hype » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:42 pm

mockbee wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:12 am
Hype wrote:

uh... no, that's.. ah forget it. C-.
Is that the lowest grade you are allowed to give?

Does administration explicitly tell you how many students are allowed to fail, or is more of an understood thing, other pressures hold more sway to pass the vast majority of students?
There are departmental norms about grading curves that are broadly expected to be maintained unless extraordinary justification is provided. And in my experience, given normal-sized classes, especially in the first two or three years, students generally fit the bell-curve pretty accurately.

For argumentative essays, generally a failing grade is reserved for an assignment that is incomplete, completely off base, plagiarized, or otherwise just completely fails to do anything the assignment required, or fails to do any of it passably well.

I'd say that generally a C- (equivalent to an American B- in some places) is a signal that you technically did the assignment roughly as required, but you made some pretty bad mistakes, had some profound confusions, and/or didn't do anything exceptionally well.

I tend to think of it this way:

A = Exceptional, like, top 2-5% of the class, at the upper levels, potentially publishable. (Generally one or two A+s out of 30-100 students is about the most I tend to see.)
B = Good, better than most, and not really missing anything specific, just not stellar.
C = Satisfactory. You did the assignment as required to do it, but you didn't show a clear grasp of everything you dealt with, and/or you can't write very well.
D = You should probably think about dropping this course because you don't get what you're supposed to be doing, but you clearly tried.
F = ... gtfo with this garbage.

mockbee

#5132 Post by mockbee » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:03 pm

Hype wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:42 pm

There are departmental norms about grading curves that are broadly expected to be maintained unless extraordinary justification is provided. And in my experience, given normal-sized classes, especially in the first two or three years, students generally fit the bell-curve pretty accurately.

For argumentative essays, generally a failing grade is reserved for an assignment that is incomplete, completely off base, plagiarized, or otherwise just completely fails to do anything the assignment required, or fails to do any of it passably well.
Has that always been the opinion of yours? (that your established norms for pass/fail aligns with Admin expectations)
Or have you adopted that opinion?

Hype

#5133 Post by Hype » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:14 pm

mockbee wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:03 pm
Has that always been the opinion of yours? (that your established norms for pass/fail aligns with Admin expectations)
Or have you adopted that opinion?
To be clearer: universities have their specific grading systems/keys, which instructors are expected to apply. See, e.g., https://infoforfaculty.fas.harvard.edu/ ... ing-system

There are departmental expectations about numbers and things like that that are sometimes spelled out explicitly and sometimes just subtly implied. You feel that stuff out as you go. It can depend on the level of the course, the number of students, the subject, and the school.

Any instructor will have rough rubrics in their head both in general and for specific assignments, and often we’ll construct assignment-specific rubrics to make the expectations clearer and more definite. But in my experience, essays, and academic writing more generally, ought to resist being made too definite. There’s a lot of room to account for things like assignment-over-assignment improvement for a given student, or to account for the fact that two very different papers can both be exceptional.

intertwoven

#5134 Post by intertwoven » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:36 pm

This might be TMI, but all day my sphincter has been sporadically buzzing like I'm sitting on a phone on vibrate. Should I get that checked out? It's annoying.

mockbee

#5135 Post by mockbee » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:45 pm

your avatar makes sense now.

No, serious, might be IBS, hope you feel better.

mockbee

#5136 Post by mockbee » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:03 am

HRC

jesus christ.
completely tone deaf.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/us/ ... nders.html

I need to check with Hype about my bet............... :hehe: :wink:

mockbee

#5137 Post by mockbee » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:57 pm

Okay, I don't know why this is pissing me off so much. But I decided to get in the "waiting list" line for the Cruel World fest and now they will charge you $289 per tickets for the GA if one happens to become available. I got out of line.

https://lyte.com/cruelworld/Cruel-World ... et_prices/

I had $155 ticket in my hand a couple days ago, and decided to pass.

What is it about when something is available you don't want it, but when it's gone it's unacceptable..... :crazy:

:jasper: :jasper: :jasper:

Pandemonium

#5138 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:46 pm

mockbee wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:57 pm
Okay, I don't know why this is pissing me off so much. But I decided to get in the "waiting list" line for the Cruel World fest and now they will charge you $289 per tickets for the GA if one happens to become available. I got out of line.

What is it about when something is available you don't want it, but when it's gone it's unacceptable..... :crazy:

It's the latest thing in legalized ticket scalping - it's called "Dynamic Pricing." Basically, a percentage of tickets for an event are held back after the original on sale date, usually the best seats/locations and the prices go up and down daily or even hourly depending on immediate interest - say a band releases their new album or they get some media attention well after tickets for the show have been on sale for a while. The seller, say Ticketmaster, bleeds out some seats on a weekly basis to best take advantage of this practice. It's a risky method to maximize profit as there's always the chance a show or band could prove to be not as popular as the final weeks before a show may demonstrate resulting in prime tickets going for original or even less than "face value" as the last few days close in before the show date.

mockbee

#5139 Post by mockbee » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:00 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:46 pm
mockbee wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:57 pm

It's the latest thing in legalized ticket scalping - it's called "Dynamic Pricing." Basically, a percentage of tickets for an event are held back after the original on sale date, usually the best seats/locations and the prices go up and down daily or even hourly depending on immediate interest - say a band releases their new album or they get some media attention well after tickets for the show have been on sale for a while. The seller, say Ticketmaster, bleeds out some seats on a weekly basis to best take advantage of this practice. It's a risky method to maximize profit as there's always the chance a show or band could prove to be not as popular as the final weeks before a show may demonstrate resulting in prime tickets going for original or even less than "face value" as the last few days close in before the show date.
Yeah I figured, what a bunch of crap.
Guess I'll just wait till a week out and hope for the best. Except plane tx wont be cheap.

mockbee

#5140 Post by mockbee » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:02 pm

wcheap.wcheap

Juana

#5141 Post by Juana » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:39 am

When your mentor and friend dies unexpectedly in his driveway in front of one of his children

clickie

#5142 Post by clickie » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:23 am

what happened it sounds tragic

Juana

#5143 Post by Juana » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:12 pm

clickie wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:23 am
what happened it sounds tragic
gut shot on an accident as he got out of his truck fucking sucks, I will be at the service tomorrow 8 years to the day I had to pull the plug on my grand father, life can be a fickle bitch

Artemis

#5144 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:31 pm

I fell on the bus today.

I was carrying shopping bags in each hand and climbing the back steps to sit in the rear because the front area was full. The bus driver hit the breaks hard because -according to another passenger -some moron tried to cut the bus off. I dropped my bags and tried to grab the bars on either side but wasn't able to hold on and fell backwards. I didn't hit my head but landed on my ass and my left arm hit the ground fairly hard. The bus stopped and passengers asked me if I was okay and helped me to get up and gather my things. The driver shouted from his seat to ask if I needed medical attention. I said that I didn't think so and sat down. He called in the incident to report it but didn't take my name or anything. I guess because I said I didn't need medical attention. I was shaken up and didn't immediately feel any pain but now I see a bruise and feel some soreness at my left elbow area as well as a little pain in the lower back, above my butt. I took some extra strength Advil. I'll see how I am tomorrow.If the pain is worse, I'll go get checked out. I got the driver id# and the bus number to report the incident. I'm wondering if I should look into a personal injury lawyer. :hs:

(Not my photo)

clickie

#5145 Post by clickie » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:14 pm

Sound's pretty brutal . You always have your pals here

Larry B.

#5146 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:20 pm

:nyrexall: That sucks. You most likely (and hopefully) have just a bruise, but I'd be particularly attentive to the lower back pain. I'd get it checked out if it still hurts tomorrow, to treat anything as soon as possible :heart:

I hope you'll be fine soon! Keep us posted. We love you.

mockbee

#5147 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:32 pm

Sorry to hear Art..... :pat:

That really sucks that happened....not fun to hurt your body and your pride like that. At least people were friendly to you. And honestly sounds like it could have been a lot worse .. :wavesad:

From your description it sounds like a couple bad bruises. It will probably hurt more tomorrow unfortunately. Ice is your friend to keep the swelling down. And stay hydrated. Lack of range of motion or intense pain when you touch the bruised area would indicate something broken.

I was on the bus once when it had to slam on the brakes for the same reason you said. I was luckily seated sideways and slid and slammed into the pole keeping me in the seated area. A couple women were seated apart across from me, one really large and one old, on opposite sides. The large one flew to the front and crushed the older lady. It was bad. I thought maybe she had crushed ribs or punctured lungs from the force of the impact. She motioned she was alright, but I had to doubt it.....I had to get off the bus and told the lady it was important to tell the driver if she felt hurt before she left the bus. I dont know if she did or not. Pride will do a lot in the decision making process..... :noclue:

I don't know how Canada works but here it would have to be pretty negligent to get anywhere with the courts. But, you could get a bundle if they were found, or likely, guilty...
You'd have to have witnesses that claimed negligence though too....

Rest up... :drink:

mockbee

#5148 Post by mockbee » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:33 am

Well, I got food poisoning last night from dinner, really bad.
:jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :scared: :sad:

(Warning: dont be eating breakfast while reading this..... :lol: )

I started the evening at Boke Bowl (they serve Poke bowls and steamed buns etc) I had the fried chx bowl with a bunch of toppings (who knows what it all was.... :scared: )
I went to a great dance/funk show after that. Luckily I made it home, after feeling woozy and really dizzy at the end of the show and the drive home. I barely made it in my front door, then collapsed at the bottom of the stairs, its a walk up townhouse. I couldn't move or else I would have passed out. Finally I knew I was going to puke, so I grabbed a garbage bucket from the garage and puked my brains out. I couldnt move for another hour, then puked again and thought I need to get upstairs. I threw the garbage bucket outside because it stank and there was no way I was making it up the stairs with it. I slithered up tge stairs and collapsed on my couch. I couldn't close my eyes without being really dizzy and couldnt have them open either, so they were just kind of blinking constantly. I couldn't rest my head without it throbbing, so I propped it up with my hand.....
My cats were very concerned about me.... :love:
This was my state for about 4 or 5 hours and I puked a few more times......
I felt a little better after about another hour of sleep and made it to bed for another couple hours of sleep.

And now I feel great! :hs:

:thumb: :bigrin:

Maybe I got some sort of virus......hmmmmmmmm. :noclue:

Larry B.

#5149 Post by Larry B. » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:32 am

Holy shit dude what the fuck

SR

#5150 Post by SR » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:07 am

mockbee wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:33 am
Well, I got food poisoning last night from dinner, really bad.
:jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :scared: :sad:

(Warning: dont be eating breakfast while reading this..... :lol: )

I started the evening at Boke Bowl (they serve Poke bowls and steamed buns etc) I had the fried chx bowl with a bunch of toppings (who knows what it all was.... :scared: )
I went to a great dance/funk show after that. Luckily I made it home, after feeling woozy and really dizzy at the end of the show and the drive home. I barely made it in my front door, then collapsed at the bottom of the stairs, its a walk up townhouse. I couldn't move or else I would have passed out. Finally I knew I was going to puke, so I grabbed a garbage bucket from the garage and puked my brains out. I couldnt move for another hour, then puked again and thought I need to get upstairs. I threw the garbage bucket outside because it stank and there was no way I was making it up the stairs with it. I slithered up tge stairs and collapsed on my couch. I couldn't close my eyes without being really dizzy and couldnt have them open either, so they were just kind of blinking constantly. I couldn't rest my head without it throbbing, so I propped it up with my hand.....
My cats were getting very hungry.... :hehe:
This was my state for about 4 or 5 hours and I puked a few more times......
I felt a little better after about another hour of sleep and made it to bed for another couple hours of sleep.

And now I feel great! :hs:

:thumb: :bigrin:

Maybe I got some sort of virus......hmmmmmmmm. :noclue:
Stay well, and keep those little guys well fed.