NBA

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Pandemonium

Re: NBA

#5501 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:21 pm

mockbee wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:34 pm
This is very sad.
I wasn't a fan of his, but he was a competitor like no other.....
Definitely elevated the game.
:wavesad:

I've never been in a helicopter, but I don't really trust those things. :scared:
Helicopters are weird to fly in, especially small ones. Last time I flew in a helicopter, was a small 4 man copter doing a tour of coastal Maui about 17 years ago with my wife and young son (he was about 5 at the time). It was basically like being in a very small car like a VW Bug, and *very* loud. I was in the front with the pilot and it's unsettling to have a glass canopy all around you, even down under your feet while you're several thousand feet in the air. Very similar to the Hawaii tour copter that crashed barely a month ago.

I'm not a big Kobe/basketball fan but I get this is huge, very sad news especially here in SoCal. My wife and I were in a noisy restaurant for early lunch this morning and as new broke on a big flatscreen tv, the place fell dead silent and you could hear audible gasps. All the major news stations have been broadcasting it all day long non-stop.

Larry B.

#5502 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:33 pm

I think it was last year that the owner of Leicester FC (an English ‘soccer’ team) left, as usual, on his helicopter from the middle of the pitch after a game, and thee thing crashed in the parking lot. No survivors either.

Sad day for sports.

Juana

#5503 Post by Juana » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:08 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:33 pm
I think it was last year that the owner of Leicester FC (an English ‘soccer’ team) left, as usual, on his helicopter from the middle of the pitch after a game, and thee thing crashed in the parking lot. No survivors either.

Sad day for sports.
Shitty loss Kobe and his daughter and then 7 others.

Also Larry I figured you would appreciate this: https://sports.yahoo.com/apos-true-insp ... 08569.html

mockbee

#5504 Post by mockbee » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:47 pm

Hope you're doing alright kv.
I know this has to be super tough..

Chin up.
Like you always say...

Juana

#5505 Post by Juana » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:14 am

mockbee wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:47 pm
Hope you're doing alright kv.
I know this has to be super tough..

Chin up.
Like you always say...

They're gonna hold the memorial at LAMC from what I read it's hard on the whole city

Artemis

#5506 Post by Artemis » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:43 pm

Our rookie, Terence Davis has been unbelievable! I hope he's not traded.

36-14! Same record as last year at this time.

kv

#5507 Post by kv » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:07 pm

RIP Kobe and kid

Most I've ever cried for someone I didn't know...feels silly

When I first heard a heli went down and rumor was he was on it...fuck...almost made sense...it had all been too perfect, too storybook...was like a movie, there had to be a catch...and now all of it is tarnished...a 20 year career...the best part of my sports fan life is now shaded black...I was insanely lucky to have managed to pick so many iconic games of his to go to by happenstance...but I didn't go to a game his last year because I didn't need it...he was done...he gave it all, or so I thought...he had so much left...I'm just left impacted rip

mockbee

#5508 Post by mockbee » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:30 pm

He had so many lives in the short one he had.
He'll always be a legend, probably even more so.

Death has to be alright.
I come pretty close to dying 3 or 4 times and it always seemed so normal at the time.
Just super freaked out later.

Just feel real bad for the wife and his other daughters. :scared: :sad:
They'll be alright though, LA will always have them in their hearts.

clickie

#5509 Post by clickie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:16 pm

The pilot seems like an idiot flying so fast when you consider the weather that morning

clickie

#5510 Post by clickie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:37 pm

WTF you talking about?

mockbee wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:30 pm

I come pretty close to dying 3 or 4 times and it always seemed so normal at the time.

mockbee

#5511 Post by mockbee » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:13 pm

clickie wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:37 pm

mockbee wrote:

WTF you talking about?

Well, one time that comes right to mind, was when I was riding my motorcycle on my regular route from Bayview to Nob Hill in San Francisco on the 101......... It was daytime, sunny, dry, 60 degrees on the 101 freeway going north and I was going about 65-70 mph and passing a regular car on its left, that was going about 65 mph as well................. (This was on a Honda Shadow cruiser, so not one of those crotch rockets, those things are crazy) ..................I was passing and I noticed the driver slowly easing into my lane.....The freeway was doing a slight turn, and I was on the outside, so it was really hard for me to correct and move away from the car..... It may or may not have had a blinker on, or just one at the last moment............ Also, I may have been preoccupied with the view. If you know this route, it's as if you are riding right into the SF skyline and the bay is sparkling in the distance............ Anyways, she keeps coming towards me and pretty quickly I realize I am going down at 70 MPH................. It happened really quickly, and all I remember is a really loud scraping sound of metal against concrete, and sparks flying everywhere.... It seemed to go on a while and then it just stopped and there was silence........................ I ended up in the middle of the freeway, legs and arms spread out like a starfish gazing straight up at the sky, my motorcycle and the car that hit me nowhere in sight.... I think, - I better get up, there are many, many cars behind me going freeway speeds that are about to arrive..............So to my amazement. I get up........... I walk to the side of the freeway and assess what just happened........... No fear is present.......... Just a matter of factness, like I just tripped on the sidewalk stangely and needed to get out of the way........... I see that my motorcycle is practically underneath the car that collided with me and it is stopped near the side of the highway on the left, about 30 feet in front of me..... I walk over and think I should probably get the motorcycle out of the middle of the highway...... I can't lift it because the car is on it. So I knock on the window of the car to see if she can back up a bit. The young woman inside looks at me like I am a ghost.............. I am sure she thought that I had died.......... She rolls down the window and she is trembling really bad. I thought she might be hurt and had to calm her down, saying it's okay, everything is okay...... She asked me if I was okay, and I thought, that's a good question.......... I probably shouldn't get on my bike if I am not okay. I move my arms around in all motions, I moved my head back and forth and up and down and bend over, then I jumped up and down on my legs, slap my ribs............ Everything seemed perfectly fine... Nothing happened to me..... I got my pants slightly torn, nothing happened to my helmet and the motorcycle jacket I was wearing had some tear/burn marks on it, and my hip was a little sore, but other then that nothing........... I lift up my motorcycle and did an eight point check and it seemed fine as well. By this time the 101 is so backed up and we are totally in the way....People are honking and trying to weave around us and doing all sorts of strange things..... It had been about 10-15 minutes probably and no cop stopped by.... I wanted to get out of there.... We exchanged emails/phone and car info, and I left it at that.....and I rode off. After having my mechanic check the bike that evening, I rode my motorcycle the next day to work. Sounds crazy now.

I was saved by the fact that my mom had constantly insisted that I have an engine guard installed on the bike, so at some point I finally did it. She had a friend who got in a wreck and had his leg burned beyond repair, because he didn't have an engine guard. Also saved by the fact that my wife's helmet was strapped on the back side of the motorcycle that it tipped over towards. That created a nice size pocket for my body and leg while I was careening down the highway at 60 MPH going sideways on a motorcycle with a flare of sparks going over my head. Otherwise I would probably would have been dead or missing half my body.
:noclue:

:tiphat:

Juana

#5512 Post by Juana » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:35 pm

clickie wrote:
WTF you talking about?

mockbee wrote:

Sometimes in those situations all you can do is let the body do what it needs to and you think about it later.

Juana

#5513 Post by Juana » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:39 pm

kv wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:07 pm
RIP Kobe and kid

Most I've ever cried for someone I didn't know...feels silly
There were Spurs fans in Austin crying, hell I did too. Broke my rule and drank and smoked at the bar that day.

Artemis

#5514 Post by Artemis » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:00 am

:lol:

clickie

#5515 Post by clickie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:57 am

That's hilarious

clickie

#5516 Post by clickie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:05 am

mockbee wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:13 pm
clickie wrote:

mockbee wrote:

WTF you talking about?

Well, one time that comes right to mind, was when I was riding my motorcycle on my regular route from Bayview to Nob Hill in San Francisco on the 101......... It was daytime, sunny, dry, 60 degrees on the 101 freeway going north and I was going about 65-70 mph and passing a regular car on its left, that was going about 65 mph as well................. (This was on a Honda Shadow cruiser, so not one of those crotch rockets, those things are crazy) ..................I was passing and I noticed the driver slowly easing into my lane.....The freeway was doing a slight turn, and I was on the outside, so it was really hard for me to correct and move away from the car..... It may or may not have had a blinker on, or just one at the last moment............ Also, I may have been preoccupied with the view. If you know this route, it's as if you are riding right into the SF skyline and the bay is sparkling in the distance............ Anyways, she keeps coming towards me and pretty quickly I realize I am going down at 70 MPH................. It happened really quickly, and all I remember is a really loud scraping sound of metal against concrete, and sparks flying everywhere.... It seemed to go on a while and then it just stopped and there was silence........................ I ended up in the middle of the freeway, legs and arms spread out like a starfish gazing straight up at the sky, my motorcycle and the car that hit me nowhere in sight.... I think, - I better get up, there are many, many cars behind me going freeway speeds that are about to arrive..............So to my amazement. I get up........... I walk to the side of the freeway and assess what just happened........... No fear is present.......... Just a matter of factness, like I just tripped on the sidewalk stangely and needed to get out of the way........... I see that my motorcycle is practically underneath the car that collided with me and it is stopped near the side of the highway on the left, about 30 feet in front of me..... I walk over and think I should probably get the motorcycle out of the middle of the highway...... I can't lift it because the car is on it. So I knock on the window of the car to see if she can back up a bit. The young woman inside looks at me like I am a ghost.............. I am sure she thought that I had died.......... She rolls down the window and she is trembling really bad. I thought she might be hurt and had to calm her down, saying it's okay, everything is okay...... She asked me if I was okay, and I thought, that's a good question.......... I probably shouldn't get on my bike if I am not okay. I move my arms around in all motions, I moved my head back and forth and up and down and bend over, then I jumped up and down on my legs, slap my ribs............ Everything seemed perfectly fine... Nothing happened to me..... I got my pants slightly torn, nothing happened to my helmet and the motorcycle jacket I was wearing had some tear/burn marks on it, and my hip was a little sore, but other then that nothing........... I lift up my motorcycle and did an eight point check and it seemed fine as well. By this time the 101 is so backed up and we are totally in the way....People are honking and trying to weave around us and doing all sorts of strange things..... It had been about 10-15 minutes probably and no cop stopped by.... I wanted to get out of there.... We exchanged emails/phone and car info, and I left it at that.....and I rode off. After having my mechanic check the bike that evening, I rode my motorcycle the next day to work. Sounds crazy now.

I was saved by the fact that my mom had constantly insisted that I have an engine guard installed on the bike, so at some point I finally did it. She had a friend who got in a wreck and had his leg burned beyond repair, because he didn't have an engine guard. Also saved by the fact that my wife's helmet was strapped on the back side of the motorcycle that it tipped over towards. That created a nice size pocket for my body and leg while I was careening down the highway at 60 MPH going sideways on a motorcycle with a flare of sparks going over my head. Otherwise I would probably would have been dead or missing half my body.
:noclue:

:tiphat:

that sounds so scary

Artemis

#5517 Post by Artemis » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:45 am

So guys, what are your picks for post season?

I think my guys will be in but I don't think they'll win it all this year.

SR

#5518 Post by SR » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:54 am

Artemis wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:45 am
So guys, what are your picks for post season?

I think my guys will be in but I don't think they'll win it all this year.
This year is so hard to call. The deer have won 85% of their games, but I am still not convinced they are ring material. You guys are a wtf moment for me and Miami is a WTF! team as well. We are looking insane and Tatum looks like a mini mamba this last month. Theis is looking insane lately as well :lol: . I am SO looking forward today's Fakers/C game. Will be telling.

I really fear the Fakes have a real shot at 17 this year. I think the Kobe loss will add a real energy that LeBron will articulate well come playoff time. Clips added a serious playoff player in Morris (I miss him a lot) as well.

Artemis

#5519 Post by Artemis » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:03 am

The Fakes/Cs game should be good, I'll probably watch it today before the Pacers/Raps game.

Yeah, Miami is VERY surprising this year and yes, I agree it's difficult to predict this year. Bucks will probably get to the finals, but I don't think they'll win the whole thing. In the West, I'm voting for the Clippers but as strong as that team is, I'm not sure they'll get the ring either. You're prediction for the Lakers and the drive to win sounds right to me.

SR

#5520 Post by SR » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:15 am

Devil's advocate position is this season also feels a bit strange to me...chalk teams seem a bit vulnerable to young gun "come with attitude" teams. Just a really great NBA year so far with the exception of the Calabasas tragedy.

clickie

#5521 Post by clickie » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:59 pm

There's still some great games to be had that you guys haven't mentioned, any game with Dallas or New Orleans with Zion or The Rockets are all exciting

kv

#5522 Post by kv » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:07 am

Artemis wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:03 am
The Fakes/Cs game should be good
et tu, Artute?

Artemis

#5523 Post by Artemis » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:46 am

kv wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:07 am
Artemis wrote:
et tu, Artute?
:lol: Nah, I was just quoting SR. Really good game yesterday- grats, kv! :tiphat:
What a difference this year....seems like really good chemistry among the players.

Artemis

#5524 Post by Artemis » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:49 am

clickie wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:59 pm
There's still some great games to be had that you guys haven't mentioned, any game with Dallas or New Orleans with Zion or The Rockets are all exciting
Yes, you're right, those teams shouldn't be overlooked. I haven't watched Zion play yet. I'm liking Dallas this year, happy Delon Wright landed there.

SR

#5525 Post by SR » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:04 am

Artemis wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:46 am
kv wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:07 am
Artemis wrote:
et tu, Artute?
:lol: So it is written, so it is done :tiphat:
What a difference this year....seems like really good chemistry among the players.
Fixed it for ya