Coronavirus

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Hype

Re: Coronavirus

#326 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:34 pm

*Federally Darwinian. Which, I guess, is a kind of selection, since jurisdictions with leaders who give a damn may be able to do more for their citizens.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#327 Post by Hokahey » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:40 pm

St. Louis is under lockdown until 4/22, or as long as needed.

People need to understand that the US is controlled more at the state or even county level more so than the federal.

It is a massive country with a lot of different geographic regions, leaders, etc.

As a result, some areas will fare worse than others. Densely populated urban areas are obvious candidates for fairing poorly.

I feel good about the steps my community has taken or will continue to take as needed. Most of us are home and staying home as needed.

We've also had drive up testing for about 1.5 weeks.

I don't doubt we'll take our licks, but I do think we'll "flatten the curve."

chaos

#328 Post by chaos » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:50 pm

This is from part of a newsletter I received today:
The Washington Post
The 5-Minute Fix
Keeping up with politics is easy now.
By Amber Phillips

President Trump is increasingly making clear he wants to do what public health officials and a number of governors and mayors say is a bad idea: Let people go back to work and gather in large crowds in the next few weeks.

Public health officials warn the coronavirus is still rampaging — the World Health Organization warns the United States could be its next epicenter — and to relax social distancing now will overwhelm hospitals even more than they already are with the sick and dying.

Trump says he’s worried the economic toll and its effects will be more devastating than that: “We can’t let the cure be worse than the disease.”

Trump is the most powerful figure in the U.S. coronavirus response, and a large swath of the country supports him and will stand by him no matter what. And his voice certainly will play a role in how seriously all Americans treat social distancing, since it’s hard.

But he alone can’t push Americans back to work and restart the economy. That’s for three reasons:

1. Governors are the ones ordering people to stay at home. Already, 19 have ordered or announced they’re about to order residents to stay at home, according to the nonpartisan National Governor’s Association. (See which states here.) Trump doesn’t have the authority to order governors to reopen their states. As University of California Davis law professor Elizabeth Joh wrote for Politico Magazine last week, the Supreme Court has long established precedent that states have the right to control their economies in the name of public health: “A community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members,” she says the court wrote in 1905. “There is no ‘Go Back To Work Law,’" she tweeted on Tuesday.

States are bolstered by the 10th Amendment of the Constitution, which grants them “police power” to protect the health and safety of their residents. That means states can “establish and enforce laws protecting the welfare, safety, and health of the public,” separate from the federal government, according to Cornell Law School.

Here’s Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R), on CNN on Monday resisting the idea of opening up his state’s economy anytime soon: “We’re just trying to take the best advice we can from the scientists and all of the experts and making the decisions that we believe are necessary for our states. We don’t think that we’re going to be in any way ready to be out of this in five or six days or so.”

2. In many states, schools are closed. So are day-care centers and shops. So even if people want to get back to work, a lot wouldn’t be able to. Parents wouldn’t have child care, and governors in a number of states have ordered nonessential businesses closed, so workers in, say, a book store wouldn’t be able to go back to work.

3. Trump’s request that people avoid groups of more than 10 was just that — a request. He made the social-distancing request at the advice of health experts for a 15-day period, which ends March 30. But this was never a rule or law, just a set of guidelines.

Relaxing it will almost certainly lead to more people gathering in open spaces, perhaps in churches or bars and restaurants and beaches. If the president of the United States is okay with larger gatherings, why should they avoid them? But in a growing number of states, that will put them in direct conflict with local officials who urge them not to crowd. Some are even policing it: Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) is going to require anyone coming into the state from New York or New Jersey to be quarantined for 14 days (to avoid the New York-to-Florida virus pipeline). Under the 10th Amendment, he can do that regardless of what Trump says.

What’s this about fish tank cleaner?

“If you wanted, you can have a prescription. What the hell do you have to lose?” That’s President Trump last week urging people to call their doctors and ask for an anti-malaria drug that, in combination with another he often cites, he has said he feels could help fight the coronavirus. (“I’m a smart guy. I feel good about it,” he said.)

Health officials, in that very same briefing, had to clarify that this drug has not been proven to be effective against the virus.

So that’s where fish tank cleaner comes in. An Arizona couple in their 60s had some of that product, saw it has the same active ingredient Trump and his allies have been touting as a cure, put it in soda and drank it. The man died; the wife is in intensive care.

Trump’s defenders say he never advocated people make homemade solutions, and he certainly did not. But the woman pointed to Trump’s briefings, which she said they watched, as an inspiration. She told NBC News from the hospital: “I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, ‘Hey, isn’t that the stuff they’re talking about on TV?’"

In a crisis, people look to their political leaders more than ever for guidance. This is a tragic reminder of that.

chaos

#329 Post by chaos » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:45 pm

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus ... story.html

NYC doc details harrowing day in local ER: ‘I survived Ebola. I fear COVID-19’

By NANCY DILLON
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
MAR 24, 2020 | 3:35 PM

A Manhattan doctor who survived Ebola posted a harrowing Twitter thread Tuesday detailing a day in his life as an ER physician amid the city’s coronavirus outbreak.

“You might hear people saying it isn't bad. It is. You might hear people saying it can't take you down. It can. I survived Ebola. I fear #COVID-19,” Dr. Craig Spencer, who works at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center, tweeted.

He said his day starts at 6:30 a.m., when he wakes up, makes a giant pot of coffee and heads to work in eerily deserted streets. He walks in to begin his shift at 8 a.m.

“Immediately struck by how the calm of the early morning city streets is immediately transformed. The bright fluorescent lights of the ER reflect off everyone’s protective goggles. There is a cacophony of coughing. You stop. Mask up. Walk in,” he tweeted.

“You take sign-out from the previous team, but nearly every patient is the same, young & old: Cough, shortness of breath, fever. They are really worried about one patient. Very short of breath, on the maximum amount of oxygen we can give, but still breathing fast,” he wrote.

“You immediately assess this patient. It’s clear what this is, and what needs to happen. You have a long and honest discussion with the patient and family over the phone. It’s best to put her on life support now, before things get much worse,” he wrote.

“You’re notified of another really sick patient coming in. You rush over. They’re also extremely sick, vomiting. They need to be put on life support as well. You bring them back. Two patients, in rooms right next to each other, both getting a breathing tube. It’s not even 10am yet,” he tweeted.

“For the rest of your shift, nearly every hour, you get paged: Stat notification: Very sick patient, short of breath, fever. Oxygen 88%. Stat notification: Low blood pressure, short of breath, low oxygen. Stat notification: Low oxygen, can't breathe. Fever. All day...” he wrote.

“Sometime in the afternoon you recognize you haven’t drank any water. You’re afraid to take off the mask. It’s the only thing that protects you. Surely you can last a little longer," he tweeted. “In West Africa during Ebola, you spent hours in a hot suit without water. One more patient.”

Dr. Spencer, 38, contracted Ebola in 2014 while volunteering with the group Doctors Without Borders in the West African country of Guinea.

He was rushed to Bellevue in a protective suit by FDNY EMS and was quarantined in one of the hospital isolation units until he recovered.

Now on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic, he said just taking his lunch break now is a radically different routine.

“By late afternoon, you need to eat. Restaurant across the street is closed. Right, everything is closed. But thankfully the hospital cafeteria is open. You grab something, wash your hands (twice), cautiously take off your mask, & eat as fast as you can. Go back. Mask up. Walk in,” he continued in his Twitter thread.

“Nearly everyone you see today is the same. We assume everyone is #COVIDー19. We wear gowns, goggles, and masks at every encounter. All day. It’s the only way to be safe. Where did all the heart attacks and appendicitis patients go? Its all COVID,” he tweeted.

“Before you leave, you wipe EVERYTHING down. Your phone. Your badge. Your wallet. Your coffee mug. All of it. Drown it in bleach. Everything in a bag. Take no chances. Sure you got it all??? Wipe is down again. Can’t be too careful,” he said.

“You walk out and take off your mask. You feel naked and exposed. It’s still raining, but you want to walk home. Feels safer than the subway or bus, plus you need to decompress. The streets are empty. This feels nothing like what is happening inside. Maybe people don't know???” he pondered.

“You get home. You strip in the hallway – it’s ok, your neighbors know what you do. Everything in a bag. Your wife tries to keep your toddler away, but she hasn't seen you in days, so it's really hard. Run to the shower. Rinse it all away. Never happier. Time for family,” he tweeted.

“You reflect on the fact that it’s really hard to understand how bad this is - and how bad it’s going to be - if all you see are empty streets. Hospitals are nearing capacity. We are running out of ventilators. Ambulance sirens don’t stop,” he said.

“Everyone we see today was infected a week ago, or more. The numbers will undoubtedly skyrocket overnight, as they have every night the past few days. More will come to the ER. More will be stat notifications. More will be put on a ventilator,” he said.

“We were too late to stop this virus. Full stop. But we can slow its spread. The virus can’t infect those it never meets. Stay inside. Social distancing is the only thing that will save us now. I don’t care as much about the economic impact as I do about our ability to save lives,” he said.

“Do your part. Stay home. Stay safe. And every day I’ll come to work for you,” he tweeted in the thread that garnered 70,000 likes in a matter of hours.

Juana

#330 Post by Juana » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:49 am

Austin area is officially under lock down until at least 4/13

Hype

#331 Post by Hype » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:48 am

Hokahey wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:40 pm
Good luck man, seriously. The picture isn’t looking good for the United States (and) Canada.

clickie

#332 Post by clickie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:03 pm

Will we go into an economic depression and keep everything closed? Or will certain places open back up for business and gamble with the virus. Which will cost more lives?
This is the crossroads about to happen the next month.

Bandit72

#333 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:42 pm

clickie wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:03 pm
Will we go into an economic depression and keep everything closed? Or will certain places open back up for business and gamble with the virus. Which will cost more lives?
This is the crossroads about to happen the next month.
I think so. This isn’t going away anytime soon. You can forget any of this “we’ll be open again by Easter” nonsense. SIX weeks ago I went to my yearly work exhibition in London Docklands. Now, the very same exhibition centre is currently being kitted out with 4,000 beds and 2 morgues.

Larry B.

#334 Post by Larry B. » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:55 pm

Holy shit. That’s horrible.

Here, a few neighbourhoods are being quarantined, including mine. The problem is that ALL of the poor-middle class and poor neighbourhoods are not. So, this basically means the dictatorship is going to protect “us” (middle and upper class neighbourhoods), but not “them.” It’s utterly disgusting and brutal.

clickie

#335 Post by clickie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:14 pm

Secretariat, now he was an early adopter of social distancing

Artemis

#336 Post by Artemis » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:29 pm

:nyrexall:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

USA is in 3rd place and quickly gaining top spot. We're in 14th place behind Belgium.

mockbee

#337 Post by mockbee » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:02 pm

I have a notion that we are approaching the worst of it......

I also have a notion (that's all it is) that most of us have already been exposed....no matter our diligence... This has already got deep in Appalachia.

That is a good...and bad....thing. But it seems things are actually leveling out. The next couple days will reveal the truth.
:noclue:

New York is better today...hopefully tomorrow as well. They are just so dense there.....and sooooooo many people.

Keep on, keepin on... :noclue: :drink:

clickie

#338 Post by clickie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:10 pm

Artemis wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:29 pm
:nyrexall:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

USA is in 3rd place and quickly gaining top spot. We're in 14th place behind Belgium.
What, you came up with your own Olympic games?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#339 Post by Hokahey » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:49 pm

Hype wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:48 am
Hokahey wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:40 pm
Good luck man, seriously. The picture isn’t looking good for the United States (and) Canada.
New York will see the worst of it, and their hospitilazions per day are already decreasing.

I think a lot of people are focused on analyzing numbers that do not take in to account mitigation efforts, variances in geographic situations, etc.

I think this is going to be somewhat anticlimactic for those engaging in worst case scenario fantasies.

It's already worse than anyone would have hoped. But it will not be cataclysmic.

It will be ok.

guysmiley

#340 Post by guysmiley » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:05 am

Surprisingly life is fairly normal here. Schools are closed and people wear masks, but that's abut it. Some events are cancelled. I keep expecting it to explode here. Really wish I could avoid the subway.

chaos

#341 Post by chaos » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:06 am

chaos

#342 Post by chaos » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:34 am

mockbee

#343 Post by mockbee » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:00 pm

Michelle Au works at Emory St. Joseph’s Hospital in Atlanta, Ga. These days she feels like she works at Chernobyl.

As an anesthesiologist, Dr. Au is responsible for one of the most dangerous parts of tending to patients with the coronavirus: intubating those who can’t breathe. The procedure, which involves snaking a tube into the patient’s trachea, is so dangerous because it brings the doctor close to the patient’s mouth, which is constantly shedding the virus. Patients sometimes exhale or cough as the tube is inserted, which aerosolizes the virus, allowing it to hang in the air for several hours.

Last week Dr. Au intubated two patients with Covid-19. “You’re aware of every moment you’re in there,” she told me. “Ten seconds. Twenty seconds. Thirty seconds. You feel radioactive.”

“Have you seen the HBO show ‘Chernobyl’?” she asked. “There are invisible risks that trail you.”

Early research shows that health care workers are more likely to contract the coronavirus than the average person and, when they get it, to suffer more severe symptoms. Many doctors are already rationing the protective gowns, gloves and masks that are necessary to keep them safe.

They are also drawing up their wills.

Dr. Au and her husband sat down over the weekend and updated the list of who should take care of their children if both of them die. “We have it four deep now,” she said. “The top two choices are older and these people are in a high-risk group. The third person is a doctor. So we added a fourth person who is a low risk for contracting this thing. As the backstop in case it comes to that.”

In a sense, Dr. Jackson was built for this moment: Her medical practice and scholarly work are focused on helping patients and their families answer questions like: What does quality of life mean for me? What would I be willing to go through to get more time?

Right now, she says, that conversation comes easily. “It is like the pandemic has allowed patients to be more courageous, more clear.”

“You have trusted the system your whole life to keep you safe,” she said. “You keep waiting for the system to kick in. But you realize no one’s coming to save us.”

Dr. Jackson put it this way: “We are standing on the edge of the ocean in the dark. We’re waiting for the wave to hit and we have no idea how high the wave is going to be.”

For now, they are working. Eighty, sometimes 100 hours a week. Days bleed into each other. They don’t stop.

I asked Dr. Bhardwaj if she ever thinks of quitting. “Being a mom now, it’s more challenging than before, because I am responsible for the baby,” she said. “But I wouldn’t change the fact that I’m a doctor. I would never walk away.”

Dr. Au told me she was recently talking to a friend from high school, someone who doesn’t work in medicine. “And he said: ‘How are you feeling aside from all this?’ And I said: ‘There is nothing besides this.’ ”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/opi ... e=Homepage

Heroes............

Though these doctors didn't necessarily sign up for an epidemic, they are still true heroes for going to work each day.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

This is so much better than a war. War is so stupid.

GWB/Cheney and those stupid fucking wars..... :no:

This is God saying FU......

And we are saying FU right back...... :flip:

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

mockbee

#344 Post by mockbee » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:51 pm

I am very saddened by the state of Arts groups across the country and venerable business' folding.

San Francisco Art Institute closure, after 150 years, is especially hard to take.
:balls:
They had a beautiful campus/building in North Beach/Russian Hill and excellent instruction/classes.....
:wavesad:

https://sfai.edu/about-sfai/the-future- ... cb8f9ed854

Pandemonium

#345 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:36 pm

On the flip (moron) side, here's my next door neighbors hanging out with some buddies this afternoon without a care in the world:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#346 Post by Hokahey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:24 pm

chaos wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:34 am
This is misleading, at best. While the city has purchased some of these trucks to potentially utilize, they are precautionary.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ler-trucks
We’re putting them out near major hospitals as a precautionary measure to prepare for the worst-case scenario,” Worthy-Davis said. “We very much hope we don’t need them.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#347 Post by Hokahey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:27 pm

https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/ice ... d-19-0523/
Iceland’s testing suggests 50% of COVID-19 cases are asymptomatic
The small nation might have an important lesson about the pandemic.
by Mihai Andrei
March 26, 2020

The virus is proving to be remarkably stealthy.

Iceland is a small nation of about 364,000 people with strong healthcare and a supportive social system. While most affected countries are only testing those who display severe symptoms, Iceland wants to test everyone in the country for the novel coronavirus.

It can afford to do so in part thanks to its relatively low population, but also due to its well-organized and well-funded medical system. Iceland has currently carried out 10,000 tests — this is far less than what other countries have done, but on a per capita basis, Iceland ranks first in the world.

“Iceland’s population puts it in the unique position of having very high testing capabilities with help from the Icelandic medical research company deCode Genetics, who are offering to perform large scale testing,” Thorolfur Guðnason, Iceland’s chief epidemiologist, told BuzzFeed News.

“This effort is intended to gather insight into the actual prevalence of the virus in the community, as most countries are most exclusively testing symptomatic individuals at this time.”

Not all the results from Iceland’s tests have come through yet, but the ones that have, show that half of all cases are asymptomatic (at the time of testing).

This would suggest that, on one hand, the virus is not as dangerous as we thought, but on the other hand, it would also suggest that it has spread far more than we are currently aware of.

These results are also indicated by a testing survey carried on an entire Italian town of Vo (population 3,300), where the results showed that more than 50% of all cases are asymptomatic.

The whole population of the village was tested, and 3% of the residents tested positive. Then, after a two-week lockdown, the population was tested again. The transmission had been reduced by 90% and the results were confirmed: the majority of cases seem to be asymptomatic.

Luca Zaia, the governor of the Veneto region told Italian media this week:

“We tested everyone, even if the ‘experts’ told us this was a mistake: 3,000 tests. We found 66 positives, whom we isolated for 14 days, and after that 6 of them were still positive. And that is how we ended it.”

This strongly emphasizes the need for mass testing, as quickly as possible.

This is still a rapidly unfolding situation where we are learning new things every day. It’s important to have a bigger-picture understanding of how the infection spreads. Of course, there is a finite government testing capacity, but expanding that capacity can pay great dividends in both the short and the long run.

Similar studies carried on Chinese patients report similar things: the virus is spreading far more than we are anticipating. For every known case, there are five or ten people whose symptoms go undetected.

“Covid-19 is proving to be a “stealth virus” in that we now know a significant amount of transmission is through people who don’t have symptoms. The exact % will depend on setting, but is high enough to make testing and surveillance key tools,” said Dr. Jonathan Quick in a Reddit AMA.

The World Health Organization also urges countries to expand their testing capacity as much as possible.

“You cannot fight the fire blindfolded, and we cannot stop this pandemic if we don’t know who is infected,” director-general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said this week. “We have a simple message for all countries: Test, test, test. Test every suspected case.”

For each and every one of us, there is also an important lesson to apply: we should all act as if we have COVID-19. You may only have a sour throat or a mild cough, you might not have any symptoms at all — you could still be carrying the disease.

As authorities expand testing capacity, and as researchers work on treatments, it’s important that we play our part and prevent the spread of the disease.

I strongly believe the current suggested mortality rates are grossly over exaggerated.

Hype

#348 Post by Hype » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Yes, so, suppose the death rate is very low. Unlike many other non-novel viruses / diseases, we don't have a treatment that actually works for this one. If you have an underlying condition, and you end up with pneumonia, and there is no ventilator for you, you're dead. That's not like anything we've ever faced before. New York is a shit-show right now.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#349 Post by Hokahey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:41 pm

Hype wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:45 pm
Yes, so, suppose the death rate is very low. Unlike many other non-novel viruses / diseases, we don't have a treatment that actually works for this one. If you have an underlying condition, and you end up with pneumonia, and there is no ventilator for you, you're dead. That's not like anything we've ever faced before. New York is a shit-show right now.

Cuomo seems to be walking back a bit just how much of a shit show things really are.

Cuomo: Not sure if closing all businesses, keeping everyone home was 'the best public health strategy'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cuomo-closin ... h-strategy

Mescal

#350 Post by Mescal » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 pm

Hoka, just out of curiousity: are you a Trump supporter?