Supreme Court

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
mockbee

Supreme Court

#1 Post by mockbee » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:32 am

Say what you want about republican justice picks, but Roberts and Gorsuch are 2 for 2 so far this round.
Lets hope it continues!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :cool:

My theory is that Trump really doesn't care about these rulings, in fact it might help him (or hurt him depending on how hard the evangelicals/bigots think he is working for them) because it just fires up the cultural wars.
Civil Rights Law Protects Gay and Transgender Workers, Supreme Court Rules

The court said the language of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits sex discrimination, applies to discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that a landmark civil rights law protects gay and transgender workers from workplace discrimination, handing the movement for L.G.B.T. equality a long-sought and unexpected victory.

“An employer who fires an individual merely for being gay or transgender defies the law,” Justice Neil M. Gorsuch wrote for the majority in the 6-to-3 ruling.

That opinion and two dissents, spanning 168 pages, touched on a host of flash points in the culture wars involving the L.G.B.T. community — bathrooms, locker rooms, sports, pronouns and religious objections to same-sex marriage. The decision, the first major case on transgender rights, came amid widespread demonstrations, some protesting violence aimed at transgender people of color.

Until Monday’s decision, it was legal in more than half of the states to fire workers for being gay, bisexual or transgender. The vastly consequential decision thus extended workplace protections to millions of people across the nation, continuing a series of Supreme Court victories for gay rights even after President Trump transformed the court with his two appointments.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/15/us/g ... court.html

Trump Can’t Immediately End DACA, Supreme Court Rules

The program, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, protects people brought to the United States as children by shielding them from deportation and letting them work.

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that the Trump administration may not immediately proceed with its plan to end a program protecting about 700,000 young immigrants known as Dreamers from deportation.

The court’s ruling was a blow to one of President Trump’s central campaign promises — that as president he would “immediately terminate” an executive order by former President Barack Obama that Mr. Trump had called an illegal executive amnesty for hundreds of thousands of young immigrants.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote the majority opinion, joined by the court’s four more liberal members in upholding the program, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/us/t ... court.html

kv

Re: Supreme Court

#2 Post by kv » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:15 am

Fuck ya, it needed its own thread.... :rockon:

Hype

#3 Post by Hype » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:50 am

A colleague suggested this is just setting things up to overturn Roe v. Wade. :balls:

mockbee

#4 Post by mockbee » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:04 am

Hype wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:50 am
A colleague suggested this is just setting things up to overturn Roe v. Wade. :balls:
What's the reasoning behind that? Just mollifiying liberals or something? :hs:

I am taking it as precedent is important to the conservative judges, even if it goes against their cultural beliefs. :noclue:

Maybe abortion is some echelon beyond a cultural thing to the religious right. Yeah. But has nothing to do with these rulings.

Does anyone know of a case that is tracking up to the Supreme Court that would overturn roe v wade ?
I don't get into those details.

Hype

#5 Post by Hype » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:15 am

mockbee wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:04 am
Hype wrote:

I am taking it as precedent is important to the conservative judges, even if it goes against their cultural beliefs. :noclue:

Maybe abortion is some echelon beyond a cultural thing to the religious right. Yeah. But has nothing to do with these rulings.

Does anyone know of a case that is tracking up to the Supreme Court that would overturn roe v wade ?
I don't follow this stuff carefully enough, but apparently the concern comes from this: https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/c ... c-v-russo/

And something about these cases resulting in an expanded Title VII being used as cover to overturn Roe v. Wade... again, not exactly clear how that works, but apparently it's a plausible reading of what they've just done.

mockbee

#6 Post by mockbee » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:23 am

Wouldn't be surprised. It did seem fishy the way the conservative judges are fawning over these rulings.....

I'm not one to understand a lick about how the legal system/courts work. It confuses the hell out of me.
Legal mind, I am not. I was raised hippy dippy....just do what feels good was law.:hehe:
Town I grew up in same way.

Who knows.... :noclue:

mockbee

#7 Post by mockbee » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:39 am

Hype wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:15 am
mockbee wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:04 am
Hype wrote:

I don't follow this stuff carefully enough, but apparently the concern comes from this: https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/c ... c-v-russo/

And something about these cases resulting in an expanded Title VII being used as cover to overturn Roe v. Wade... again, not exactly clear how that works, but apparently it's a plausible reading of what they've just done.

June Medical Services LLC vs Russo struck down.

Don't know if there are more on the horizon, but this is huge!

WHOOOP!!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Roberts to the rescue AGAIN!

Precedent cited. He is truly conservative. Good for him............ :thumb:

Supreme Court Strikes Down Louisiana Abortion Restrictions

The case, over a state law requiring doctors performing abortions to have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals, is the first abortion ruling since two Trump appointees joined the court.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/us/ ... e=Homepage