Coronavirus

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
mockbee

Re: Coronavirus

#701 Post by mockbee » Tue May 26, 2020 9:20 am

There are numerous crazy things about this whole ordeal.

A big one is why Florida and California are tracking about exactly the same (per capita) in infections and deaths. CA is twice the population of FL and has twice the deaths and twice the infections. CA shut down in mid March and is just now reopening, and Florida has been all over the place with packed beaches, NYC refugees, old people packed in every nook and cranny. All because of climate....? :scared: :noclue:

FL April unemployment rate 12.9%
CA April unemployment rate 15.5%

There is so much we dont know, so its hard to know anything, or to be too righteous about proper behavior. But I suppose caution and patience and a constant affirmation with real science is always a good place to start.
:noclue:

mockbee

#702 Post by mockbee » Tue May 26, 2020 1:51 pm

mockbee wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:20 am

FL April unemployment rate 12.9%
CA April unemployment rate 15.5%
Looks like CA is currently closer to 20% unemployment, with LA area closer to 24%...... :scared:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#703 Post by Hokahey » Tue May 26, 2020 6:48 pm

Hype wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:48 am
Hokahey wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:12 am
Out of almost 700 deaths, 50% were over 80, and 85% were over 60. All in all, 17 deaths were under 50.

The overwhelming majority were also clustered in the absolute poorest area of St. Louis and in nursing homes.
I think it's important not to take this information too positively -- not you specifically, I mean in general. A lot of people who are fairly healthy and young, especially men, seem to think that because the data shows that deaths are primarily in the >65 range we can worry a bit less about ourselves. But this misses a big part of the equation. Even if you aren't going to die from it, you can spread it to your loved ones, or someone else's loved ones, who may become very sick or die, or who may themselves spread it to someone else... etc. The reason we shut everything down was to try to slow the spread way down so that we could get on top of the plans for managing outbreaks, especially when vulnerable people inevitably catch it.

I also think it's gross that deaths are clustering in poor neighbourhoods. That's an indictment of the American healthcare system if I've ever seen one.

Another concern is that there seem to be younger folks who aren't dying, and maybe aren't even hospitalized, but who seem to be suffering fairly serious organ damage (kidneys, heart, lungs). We don't yet know if this damage is permanent, or how severe it will be, but it seems that some people are taking months to recover, and some don't seem to be getting back to 100% at all.
I understand all of this. I'm not taking it positively per se. Just find the numbers interesting. It's far more segmented than I even realized. It's interesting to consider how fewer deaths there would have been if retirement centers had been locked down sooner. Also, even the poorest parts of St Louis have access to some great hospitals. Barnes-Jewish is right on the line of North County where the largest outbreaks are in the poorest area. I am seeing a complete lack of concern for the virus and social distancing in these areas. Of course these are the areas with out of control crime rates, so I don't expect much concern for basic virus precautions in areas with extreme crime.

Hype

#704 Post by Hype » Wed May 27, 2020 12:31 pm

Also, even the poorest parts of St Louis have access to some great hospitals. Barnes-Jewish is right on the line of North County where the largest outbreaks are in the poorest area.
As I understand it, the problem with American healthcare is not a lack of access to hospitals (mostly). It's that the hospital you have access to may not be part of your insurer's network, or you may not have insurance. Either way, this affects poor Americans far more than it affects anyone else. And this often means it affects African Americans disproportionately, for obvious reasons.

Larry B.

#705 Post by Larry B. » Wed May 27, 2020 3:52 pm

One disgusting problem we have in Chile is that once the public system collapses (which is pretty much... now, or in a week's time), patients would have to be sent to private clinics, which charge the state an outrageous amount of money.

These people's respect for the rules set out in stone collapses when a bail out for them is urgently needed.

I would expect a pandemic to be considered exceptional, and/or that these clinics would fucking offer their premises either for free or at cost. Not for profit. But that's top tier capitalism for you.

Artemis

#706 Post by Artemis » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:36 am

The US has passed 2 million cases!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

mockbee

#707 Post by mockbee » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:27 am

Flushing the Toilet May Fling Coronavirus Aerosols All Over

A new study shows how turbulence from a toilet bowl can create a large plume that is potentially infectious to a bathroom’s next visitor.

Here’s one more behavior to be hyper-aware of in order to prevent coronavirus transmission: what you do after you use the toilet.

Scientists have found that in addition to clearing out whatever business you’ve left behind, flushing a toilet can generate a cloud of aerosol droplets that rises nearly three feet. Those droplets may linger in the air long enough to be inhaled by a shared toilet’s next user, or land on surfaces in the bathroom.

This toilet plume isn’t just gross. In simulations, it can carry infectious coronavirus particles that are already present in the surrounding air or recently shed in a person’s stool. The research, published Tuesday in the journal Physics of Fluids, adds to growing evidence that the coronavirus can be passed not only through respiratory droplets, but through virus-laden feces, too.

:jasper:

And while it remains unknown whether public or shared toilets are a common point of transmission of the virus, the research highlights the need during a pandemic to rethink some of the common spaces people share.

“The aerosols generated by toilets are something that we’ve kind of known about for a while, but many people have taken for granted,” said Joshua L. Santarpia, a professor of pathology and microbiology at the University of Nebraska Medical Center who was not involved in the research. “This study adds a lot of the evidence that everyone needs in order to take better action.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/16/heal ... e=Homepage

Yuk!

:scared: :neutral:

:lol:

nausearockpig

#708 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:35 pm

Put the lid down before you flush maybe? Or is it saying that the droplets fly around regardless?

mockbee

#709 Post by mockbee » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:16 pm

We don't have lids in public bathrooms in the US. Just seats.
Due, ironically!, to sanitary issues with everyone having to touch the lid all the time.

My toilet, I don't care, I'll breathe my own fecal droplets.... :noclue:

:lol:

nausearockpig

#710 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Wait, are you saying people use public toilets for something other than raw dirty sex? I’m confused.

mockbee

#711 Post by mockbee » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:23 pm

I don't use those, I go in the forest when out and about.

I now dont even want to go INTO a public restroom to use a urinal!

nausearockpig

#712 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:06 pm

Do you shit in the woods too?

mockbee

#713 Post by mockbee » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:09 pm

What...? Why would I go all the way to the forest to take a piss?
:hs:

I mean pissing in the forest is great but not worth a trip.

I have an open air latrine, composting toilet, on a little piece of land I got, so I take my dumps there when nearby. View similar to this; really a great time to reflect.
:nod:

nausearockpig

#714 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:17 pm

I’m well confused hahah

You said that when you’re out and about you go in the forest I assumed you meant pissing in the forest so then I asked if you did a shit in the forest (meaning when you’re out and about).

Artemis

#715 Post by Artemis » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:41 pm

This week Toronto moving to stage 2 of reopening:salons, barbers, malls, patio dining, beaches, some outdoor sports facilities, day cares with limited capacity.

I really want and need a hair but I'm going to wait a few more weeks. I'm going to wait and see how things go.

Mandatory masks on public transit.

Bandit72

#716 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:46 pm

Artemis wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:41 pm
This week Toronto moving to stage 2 of reopening:salons, barbers, malls, patio dining, beaches, some outdoor sports facilities, day cares with limited capacity.

I really want and need a hair but I'm going to wait a few more weeks. I'm going to wait and see how things go.

Mandatory masks on public transit.
July 4th for us. Well as far as opening cinemas, pubs, hairdressers etc... Yeh, masks are compulsory on our public transport. Aren't virus particles smaller than holes in the fabric of masks anyway? :noclue:

nausearockpig

#717 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:54 pm

Hahah yeah last I’d read the masks only help if you’ve got it, and reduce or stop you giving to others. Interesting is t it.

Larry B.

#718 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:42 am

We’re the worst country in the world in terms of handling of the crises, with the highest % of the population infected. Yeay for right-wing political leaders who ignore science and common sense!

We might be quarantined until August or beyond.

chaos

#719 Post by chaos » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:59 am

Things are a mess in Texas and Florida.

Texas Children's Hospital is now admitted adult patients with Covid19 since the surrounding hospitals have no room. This is noteworthy since the Children's Hospital is located in Houston, and Houston has over 80 hospitals. Gov Greg Abbott still has not issued any mandatory stay-at-home and/or mask-wearing orders.

Yesterday, Florida Gov Ron DeSantis said he doesn't want hospitals to report the number of people in ICU beds; he only wants the number of people receiving ICU level care reported. :confused: :eyes:

mockbee

#720 Post by mockbee » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:51 am

So I keep pretty good track of what our governor says to do. And also what my state representative recommends and her updates on unemployment. The rep does a great job actually, considering the chaotic data and recommendations she has to work with. One thing I am very impressed with my state rep is that she is very concerned about unemployment and proper payments getting out to individuals and business' that are struggling/collapsing. Our employment department is an unmitigated disaster. Our governor has not said one word about it. She fired the director a couple weeks ago after there was practically a revolt but not a word since, still hundreds of thousands who need back payments and being 'processed' My rep has taken hundreds of cases into her own hands and contacted the new director about them.

Anyways, our governor gets teary eyed when thinking about the lives she is saving by putting on a mask. I understand the importance of putting on a mask, to mitigate the risk of spreading the virus. I put on a mask whenever indoors in a public environment. I'd say half the people do, and half the people don't. The governor says she is saving untold 100s if not thousands of lives whenever she puts on a mask. And it will be worth it once we get back to normal. Now my question is. What is this normal she is talking about? Does she really think that there will be a fully effective vaccine within a year (or two?) that is distributed widely and taken by every person in the United States, let alone the world? :hs:
What is this utopia she speaks of?

I think this; the unemployment figures, the semi-lockdown, the "pause" is our new normal.

It is going to be this, what we are doing now, for years and years.

But....that cannot happen. There will be such a stratification of have's and have not's (in terms of employment) or the state/federal government with be 10's of trillions of dollars in annual debt each year keeping everyone afloat. What is the end game here in terms of fighting the virus.....? Opening up just a little has made a tremendous impact in terms of the virus (first wave really) coming back.

:noclue:

Juana

#721 Post by Juana » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:29 pm

chaos wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:59 am
Things are a mess in Texas and Florida.

Texas Children's Hospital is now admitted adult patients with Covid19 since the surrounding hospitals have no room. This is noteworthy since the Children's Hospital is located in Houston, and Houston has over 80 hospitals. Gov Greg Abbott still has not issued any mandatory stay-at-home and/or mask-wearing orders.

Yesterday, Florida Gov Ron DeSantis said he doesn't want hospitals to report the number of people in ICU beds; he only wants the number of people receiving ICU level care reported. :confused: :eyes:
Last two weeks 9k more cases in TX.. let that sink in. Rivers and parks are getting closed but bars still allowed to operate..

clickie

#722 Post by clickie » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:11 am

Florida breaks a new record everyday like 5000 per day now. For fathers day some of my friends went out to eat and the servers and entire staff weren't wearing gloves or masks. They said the waitress was only about 5 feet tall too so her face was right against the table.

Pandemonium

#723 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:06 am

Juana wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:29 pm
Last two weeks 9k more cases in TX.. let that sink in. Rivers and parks are getting closed but bars still allowed to operate..
At this point, it's down to numbers. States are looking at this like accountants in an insurance company - what kind of numbers of infected, seriously ill people versus tax revenue from keeping businesses open to whatever degree is acceptable? Why do you think pot shops and liquor stores in many counties never fell under the umbrella of being ordered to close over the past Spring? They're huge tax generators. Closing or re-closing some businesses or parks or whatever which in many cases are down near the bottom of areas where you'd most like get infected is feel good window dressing for politicians who want to still appear they are concerned about public health while also keenly aware they need to bring in some taxes to to keep their heads above water short term. Going forward, State and Federal budgets are going to be catastrophically cut over the next few years as some states skirt bankruptcy.

Add to that, the terribly inconsistent way the lockdown was handled by both the Feds and Local governments pissed a lot of people off. Roughly 1 in 4 people able to work are out of a job now and there's a lot of fear and anxiety just about the next few months, much less the coming year. Remember, the plan was the original lockdown was to "flatten the curve" and give the medical community time to get up to speed to handle an eventual flood of critically ill patients. Based on those theories, we should be prepared by now. Another full tilt lockdown especially with no guarantee of another personal/business financial bailout is not going to work, especially in major cities.

One theory that looks to have been disproved is that warm Summer temps would burn out the virus. That hasn't happened.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see how the tax season goes next year - a lot of people are going to owe thousands of dollars because they collected unemployment and stimulus money without paying taxes on that income as they got it.

chaos

#724 Post by chaos » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:13 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:06 am
As an aside, it will be interesting to see how the tax season goes next year - a lot of people are going to owe thousands of dollars because they collected unemployment and stimulus money without paying taxes on that income as they got it.
The stimulus money is tax free for federal purposes. With regard to state taxes - I don't think they will apply, but each state can do its own thing so who knows.

Pandemonium

#725 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:48 pm

chaos wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:13 am

The stimulus money is tax free for federal purposes. With regard to state taxes - I don't think they will apply, but each state can do its own thing so who knows.
The extra $600 per week on top of unemployment is tax free at least on the Fed level?