Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
SR

Re: 2020 US Racial/Political Protests and Riots

#176 Post by SR » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:38 pm

:rockon:

somethindalisomethin

#177 Post by somethindalisomethin » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:46 pm

The difference is, in the 60's all the protesters were against the gov, especially Nixon. No one was in the streets supporting the gov like they are now.

Today these gun toting meatheads are protesting for the right to carry guns and for Donald and all his crazy beliefs.

It would be like if in the 60's there were huge amounts of protestors who were there to support Nixon and all his evil crap.

When Nixon resigned a lot of the turmoil and problems ended just like when Donald is forced to resign (by not being re-elected) a lot of the problems will end.

What I'm saying is virtually all the problems right now are because of Donald and his gov.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#178 Post by Hokahey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:39 pm

somethindalisomethin wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:46 pm
The difference is, in the 60's all the protesters were against the gov, especially Nixon. No one was in the streets supporting the gov like they are now.

Today these gun toting meatheads are protesting for the right to carry guns and for Donald and all his crazy beliefs.

It would be like if in the 60's there were huge amounts of protestors who were there to support Nixon and all his evil crap.

When Nixon resigned a lot of the turmoil and problems ended just like when Donald is forced to resign (by not being re-elected) a lot of the problems will end.

What I'm saying is virtually all the problems right now are because of Donald and his gov.
The counter protesters were too busy with their lynchings.

America is the most liberal/progressive it's ever been. If you think what's happening now is worse than the 60s then you need to crack a book.

Trump has magnified the worst of us. But those voting for him that are actual fascist/racist/evil make up a smaller segment of the populace than they would have at any time in the past.

I would suggest that the majority of his voters are single-issue Republicans. I know a lot of otherwise decent people that always vote straight Republican ticket because of abortion.

They're sadly voting for awful things while trying to vote against what they perceive as infanticide, but that's the nuance here.

The world will never be perfect. But believe it or not, its the best it's ever been.

nausearockpig

#179 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:19 pm

Would you say the US is the best it’s been for blacks and other minorities? I’m not poking, that’s a serious question to get your perspective.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#180 Post by Hokahey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:26 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:19 pm
Would you say the US is the best it’s been for blacks and other minorities? I’m not poking, that’s a serious question to get your perspective.
I would say it undoubtedly is. Does it still need vast improvement? Absolutely. But it is definitely better than it's ever been.

There's a big fat magnifying glass on the racists/bigots/xenophobes, etc. But I'm confident there are fewer than ever.

kv

#181 Post by kv » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:36 pm

I hate whenever this happens...I fully agree with hoka...obviously since trump was elected bigots have been empowered...so it's worse now than pre trump... but in general the best it's been...a long fucking ways to go though...which will require dying off of the old gens...in time we'll be mostly mixed and people will point and laugh at 2020 america

Hokahey
Site Admin

#182 Post by Hokahey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:44 pm

kv wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:36 pm
It's worse now than pre trump...
I do agree with this on some level. Mostly psychological. I think minorities are probably more stressed and worried than during the Obama presidency.

But I think from a very macro perspective it's a small blip backwards. And I think it will help usher in a more progressive era than ever.

Kids today are fucking pissed. This is another moment where good and decency will propel us further in to a better future.

chaos

#183 Post by chaos » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:24 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:39 pm

America is the most liberal/progressive it's ever been. If you think what's happening now is worse than the 60s then you need to crack a book.
It's not that simple.

The internet/social media etc has complicated things. There is misinformation, disinformation, propaganda, and doctored videos that go viral. And the circulation of this material is nothing compared to the calamitous consequence of it: people start to question the TRUTH.

Another big difference between the 60's and now is that there is a much more blatant disregard for the rules/statues/protocols for the way the US Government is supposed to function. One example is the statement made last week by the current Chief of Staff, Mark Meadows, regarding the Hatch Act. He said "no one outside of the beltway really cares" about it. Another example is when the Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, got into it during an interview with an NPR reporter back in January. She asked him some questions he did not like regarding Ukraine. He ended the interview, cursed at her, asked her "Do you think Americans care about Ukraine?" and then challenged her to find Ukraine on the map. My point is that many of the officials in Trump's orbit are banking on the fact that people are not only ignorant of governmental rules/statues/protocols, but that they won't care about them.

A lot of people who voted for Trump thought there were enough mechanisms (checks and balances) in place to keep him from doing much damage. As we have seen, particularly during this past year, they are being dismantled before everyone's eyes (akin to the frog slowly boiling to death).

Xizen47

#184 Post by Xizen47 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:48 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:39 pm
The world will never be perfect. But believe it or not, its the best it's ever been.
Truth! I'd urge anyone to check out "Enlightenment Now" by Steven Pinker. 2020/Covid aside, things are really the best theve ever been in practically every sense.

In fact one of the only things that's gotten statistically worse over the years is negative stories fed to us by the Media.

kv

#185 Post by kv » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:48 pm

And Perry called that over 30 years ago...the news is just another show...with sex and violence

kv

#186 Post by kv » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:51 pm

Honestly grand scheme this is good...it's being openly talked about by all sides..instead of hate hidden away behind a smile...I think this will move us forward if trump doesn't win again that is

clickie

#187 Post by clickie » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:07 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Blacks eh, who are you Jimmy the Greek?

mockbee

#188 Post by mockbee » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:34 am

clickie wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:07 am
nausearockpig wrote:
Blacks eh, who are you Jimmy the Greek?
He doesn't know. That's alright. It's tricky...... :noclue:

:bored:

I caught mister clickie before he could delete..... :wink: :lol:

mockbee

#189 Post by mockbee » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:25 am

Yup....by many indications it's the best it's been now, of all time, for the Black population and minorities in the United States.

Would even argue that it's better than under Obama. False hope may be waning and anxiety at a higher level. But real shit is being dealt with in its own messy way.

It's crazy progress that police are actually admitting culpability for the bad apples. That is huge.

The only people shocked at the state of affairs were blind to what has always been going on.

:noclue:

Pandemonium

#190 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:34 am

Is Portland becoming ground zero for armed confrontations between Right and Left leaning factions?

Yes, that's right, here you have a wannabe Kurt Cobain protester and a Trump guy boxing on a Portland city freeway. Last night, apparently someone in the large caravan of Trump supporters who flooded the city looking for trouble was shot dead by a protester. Meanwhile, roving gangs of protesters continue to harass and beat people, burn and loot buildings.

Congratulations to the Mayor of Portland for letting the city become a magnet for the worst elements society has to offer on both sides. May as well wall off the city, grab some popcorn and watch Antifa kiddies and The Bevery Hillbillies act out "Lord Of The Flies."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1299938635437936640

https://twitter.com/hashtag/PortlandRio ... htag_click

mockbee

#191 Post by mockbee » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:57 am

And there is this. :noclue:

President Trump's support among black voters rose 9 percentage points amid the Republican National Convention, a new Hill-HarrisX poll finds.

Twenty-four percent of registered black voters in the Aug. 22-25 survey, which included the first two days of the convention, said they approve of the job Trump is doing as president, while 76 percent said they disapprove.

That is up 9 points from the previous survey conducted Aug. 8-11, where the President received 15 percent support among this group.

The survey found support among Hispanic voters also grew by 2 percentage points, from 30 percent in the last poll to 32 percent in this most recent survey.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-america ... nic-voters
From The Hill which is a middle of the road/liberal publication.

I would argue that Black support for Trump is quite a bit higher than 24%. That is a really big number in regards to the arguments that liberal media is making towards the stark and "plain as day" bigotry that they are claiming of Trump.

So a quarter of the Black population are racist against themselves....?
So a quarter of the Black population are just plain ignorant and dont have a clue about what they are supporting......?
So a quarter of the Black population have been brainwashed/hoodwinked?
So a quarter of the Black population is insignificant?

Careful. Not saying people here would say anything like that but those are some pretty treacherous/condescending claims towards Black people......

:noclue:

somethindalisomethin

#192 Post by somethindalisomethin » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:07 pm

at least in the sixties even the stoned out hippies were coherent enough to have a message.

Today, it's just random chaos amongst the protesters because everyone has there own agenda instead of a universal theme/agenda that the hippies had.

Hate the hippies all you want but at least they were all together for ONE cause.

mockbee

#193 Post by mockbee » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:03 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:34 am

Congratulations to the Mayor of Portland for letting the city become a magnet for the worst elements society has to offer on both sides.

I actually feel pretty bad for Mayor Wheeler. He has an impossible job right now. He had very little room to do anything about it early on in our local political climate and was much too ignorant to see the disaster forming on our doorstep that has now burned down the house.

He is up for re-election in the fall. As long as he keeps Lovell, our (Black) Chief of Police (I know....sucks that I now/still need to qualify race...... :neutral: ), who has done everything he could possibly do (in our local political climate) since he was put in the post a couple months ago, I will vote for Wheeler. The alternative would be WAY more of a disaster (pro anarchist) if you can imagine that......... :scared:

mockbee

#194 Post by mockbee » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:52 am

Until then............

Hope and Prayers from Mayor Wheeler.

And Hope and Prayers from Biden as well.

Thanks....

:neutral:

Pandemonium

#195 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:36 am

mockbee wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:03 pm
I actually feel pretty bad for Mayor Wheeler. He has an impossible job right now. He had very little room to do anything about it early on in our local political climate and was much too ignorant to see the disaster forming on our doorstep that has now burned down the house.

He is up for re-election in the fall. As long as he keeps Lovell, our (Black) Chief of Police (I know....sucks that I now/still need to qualify race...... :neutral: ), who has done everything he could possibly do (in our local political climate) since he was put in the post a couple months ago, I will vote for Wheeler. The alternative would be WAY more of a disaster (pro anarchist) if you can imagine that......... :scared:
From an outsiders perspective, it really seems like Wheeler is trying to placate his far left base while ignoring the true needs of residents and business owners of the city. Just last week, he went on record in an interview saying he wants to "let the rioting burn itself out." This while he's apparently left the police department directionless without any sort of leadership.

From this article:

https://freebeacon.com/democrats/portla ... RIMpq2Jk6I

He further said "They’ve tried everything from not showing up to preemptively dispersing crowds, and some of those strategies, in my opinion, have worked well. Others have not worked well," Wheeler said. "My expectation is the police bureau will evolve, and as they see a need for change, they’ll change."

Wheeler previously proposed to top aides a "high-risk" policing approach in which police would be ordered to stand down and not respond to rioters. He never put those measures into effect, leaving local police without clear directives in dealing with crowds, whether they are rioting, looting businesses, or setting fire to government buildings.

Portland police have made more than 500 arrests since the riots began in late May, but the violence has stretched the department thin. During one recent riot, 60 calls to 911 were left unanswered as police were deployed to respond to a riot outside of a county government building. Earlier this month, Portland district attorney Mike Schmidt said he would not prosecute hundreds of those arrested for rioting-related crimes.

If I lived in Portland and especially was a business owner and the situation was a bad on a near-daily basis as it appears for 3 months now, I would be pissed at this guy. I just don't get why residents haven't yet marched by the thousands on Wheeler's residence like apparently a handful of his protester pals did last week.

Xizen47

#196 Post by Xizen47 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:13 pm

Now that Trumps poll numbers are rising maybe they'll try to contain this shit? :noclue:

Don Lemon was on the other night saying the riots must stop, followed directly with a statement about the polls. :jasper:

yeah, never mind the safety of civilized residents/business owners/tax payers.

chaos

#197 Post by chaos » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:27 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:36 am
mockbee wrote:

From an outsiders perspective, it really seems like Wheeler is trying to placate his far left base while ignoring the true needs of residents and business owners of the city. Just last week, he went on record in an interview saying he wants to "let the rioting burn itself out." This while he's apparently left the police department directionless without any sort of leadership.

The contentious relationship between Portland's politicians and the police dept. seems to have a lengthy history which may help to explain its floundering leadership. (I'm not making excuses for it.)

https://theintercept.com/2020/07/24/por ... -protests/
. . .

SO WHY HAS Portland become a “right-wing boogeyman” during the Trump years? The answer starts with Oregon’s creation as a “white utopia” in 1859, where Black and mixed-race people were barred from living in the state. That shaped Oregon as a center of Ku Klux Klan activity in the 1920s, and there were harsh Jim Crow laws in the state. To this day, 2 percent of Oregon’s population is Black. Portland itself is often called “the whitest big city” in America, owing to its 77 percent white population.

The overwhelming white makeup of the city and state — the legacy of white supremacy — can make politicians see taking on racist policies as a liability. “Politicians are reluctant to challenge racist policing for fear of being tarnished as anti-cop and losing support of white voters,” said Joseph Lowndes, professor of political science at the University of Oregon.

Enter Jo Ann Hardesty. In 2018, she was elected as the first Black woman to the Portland City Council on a platform of reining in police violence. Having advocated for police reforms since she moved to Portland 30 years ago, observers and journalists have described Hardesty as the first politician in the city to forcefully oppose racist policing.

The lack of establishment opposition to police power sets Portland apart from other cities where Trump has said or hinted he will dispatch federal police. The Portland Police Association has bulldozed elected officials for decades. One police union president would put his gun on the table when meeting with the mayor. Their contract protects racist cops. The Independent Police Review, which handles complaints about the cops, is widely viewed as toothless. And it’s hard to fire cops who’ve used deadly force.

. . .

chaos

#198 Post by chaos » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:42 pm

Xizen47 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:13 pm
Now that Trumps poll numbers are rising ...
:hs: I've read he did not get a convention bounce? What are you referring to?

mockbee

#199 Post by mockbee » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:58 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:36 am
mockbee wrote:

From this article:

https://freebeacon.com/democrats/portla ... RIMpq2Jk6I

He further said "They’ve tried everything from not showing up to preemptively dispersing crowds, and some of those strategies, in my opinion, have worked well. Others have not worked well," Wheeler said. "My expectation is the police bureau will evolve, and as they see a need for change, they’ll change."

Wheeler previously proposed to top aides a "high-risk" policing approach in which police would be ordered to stand down and not respond to rioters. He never put those measures into effect, leaving local police without clear directives in dealing with crowds, whether they are rioting, looting businesses, or setting fire to government buildings.

Portland police have made more than 500 arrests since the riots began in late May, but the violence has stretched the department thin. During one recent riot, 60 calls to 911 were left unanswered as police were deployed to respond to a riot outside of a county government building. Earlier this month, Portland district attorney Mike Schmidt said he would not prosecute hundreds of those arrested for rioting-related crimes.

If I lived in Portland and especially was a business owner and the situation was a bad on a near-daily basis as it appears for 3 months now, I would be pissed at this guy. I just don't get why residents haven't yet marched by the thousands on Wheeler's residence like apparently a handful of his protester pals did last week.
Actually, feeling"bad" is the wrong word. "Worried" or "very concerned" is a better one and has more to do with the possibility of a worse Mayor. He has been spineless. But, this "far left base" you speak of is actually pretty middle of the road voter in Portland. Portland proper is extremely liberal/progressive. Suburbs, whole other story.There is currently a petition amongst mainstream political groups in Portland to have him resign immediately because he allowed his own people to be tear gassed, let Federal agents in and did not restrain the police when the protesters were assembling in front of police stations. Any elected alternative would be much, much worse.

Police here have had a history of prejudice/bias and heavy handed tactics. But currently the major concern among politicians is responding to the collective guilt with any notion of showing favor towards the police.

Xizen47

#200 Post by Xizen47 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:48 pm

chaos wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:42 pm
Xizen47 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:13 pm
Now that Trumps poll numbers are rising ...
:hs: I've read he did not get a convention bounce? What are you referring to?
Phrased that wrong,, Polls are showing Bidens inefficiancy (lack of a dnc bounce), rather than Trumps "numbers rising".

Dems are in a death spiral... Saw a CNN headline today saying "Joe Biden condemns violence/riots in Portland, calls on Trump to do the same"... are u fucking kidding me? What planet are you on?