2020 US Racial/Political Protests and Riots

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
chaos

Re: 2020 US Racial/Political Protests and Riots

#201 Post by chaos » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:52 pm

^Yeah, I don't watch CNN. I can't. I just can't. :lol:

With regard to whether Trump is condemning violence/riots, it seems as though he justifies its use when it comes to his supporters. Didn't the Rittenhouse kid shoot someone before a group converged on him? During a press conference he made it sound as though a mob attacked him for no reason (other than for merely being a Trump supporter). Also he praised the the Trump convoy as it rolled into Portland. What did he think they were going in to do?
Has he addressed in any thoughtful why the nationwide protests began in the first place? While people are responsible for their own actions, DJT needs to stop throwing fuel on the fire. While Portland has fallen off the rails and is a mess, I don't believe the spin that the country is about to be taken over by anarchists, or that we are in store for The Purge if Trump isn't re-elected. :lol:

Biden said this right after the Portland shooting: “Shooting in the streets of a great American city is unacceptable. I condemn this violence unequivocally. I condemn violence of every kind by anyone, whether on the left or the right. And I challenge Donald Trump to do the same.” Today in Pittsburgh he said: “Rioting is not protesting. Looting is not protesting. Setting fires is not protesting. None of this is protesting. It’s lawless. It’s plain and simple. And those who do it should be prosecuted.”

Needless to say, both presidential candidates have vastly different approaches.

chaos

#202 Post by chaos » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:28 pm

Here is the criminal court filing against Rittenhouse. It states his first victim, Rosenbaum, was unarmed (page 3), although it does state that Rosenbaum was chasing Rittenhouse.

https://www.wisconsinrightnow.com/wp-co ... 097_11.pdf
In the course of investigating this incident, law enforcement reviewed and shared with your complainant multiple videos that appeared to be recorded on cell phones. In the first video, a male who was later identified to be Kyle H. Rittenhouse, DOB: 01/03/03 (hereinafter “the defendant”), is running southwest across the eastern portion of the Car Source parking lot. The defendant is a resident of Antioch, IL. The defendant can clearly be seen holding a long gun, which was later recovered by law enforcement and identified as a Smith & Wesson AR-15 style .223 rifle. The recovered magazine for this rifle holds 30 rounds of ammunition. Following the defendant is Rosenbaum and trailing behind the defendant and Rosenbaum is a male who was later identified as Richard McGinnis, a reporter.

The video shows that as they cross the parking lot, Rosenbaum appears to throw an object at the defendant. The object does not hit the defendant and a second video shows, based on where the object landed, that it was a plastic bag. Rosenbaum appears to be unarmed for the duration of this video. A review of the second video shows that the defendant and Rosenbaum continue to move across the parking lot and approach the front of a black car parked in the lot. A loud bang is heard on the video, then a male shouts, “Fuck you!”, then Rosenbaum appears to continue to approach the defendant and gets in near proximity to the defendant when 4 more loud bangs are heard. Rosenbaum then falls to the ground.

kv

#203 Post by kv » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:51 pm

chaos wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:52 pm

Biden said this right after the Portland shooting: “Shooting in the streets of a great American city is unacceptable. I condemn this violence unequivocally. I condemn violence of every kind by anyone, whether on the left or the right. And I challenge Donald Trump to do the same.” Today in Pittsburgh he said: “Rioting is not protesting. Looting is not protesting. Setting fires is not protesting. None of this is protesting. It’s lawless. It’s plain and simple. And those who do it should be prosecuted.”

Needless to say, both presidential candidates have vastly different approaches.
But Biden said both things....the second quote sounds like what Trump would say to me :noclue:

chaos

#204 Post by chaos » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:09 pm

^Biden did say both things.

Biden is the antecedent of he.

Take away the first quote:
Biden said this right after the Portland shooting: (quoted sentence removed). Today in Pittsburgh he said: “Rioting is not protesting. Looting is not protesting. Setting fires is not protesting. None of this is protesting. It’s lawless. It’s plain and simple. And those who do it should be prosecuted.”

kv

#205 Post by kv » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:16 pm

Wasn't sure you knew that, my bad...the second quote could have been trump, he's been saying the same thing

mockbee

#206 Post by mockbee » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:53 pm

kv wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:16 pm
Wasn't sure you knew that, my bad...the second quote could have been trump, he's been saying the same thing
Right, that's what I was thinking.

Not saying Trump is a saint, (By all means he very much stirs the pot as well) But Biden's righteousness doesn't make sense in this regard..... :noclue:

Also, that Trump caravan had every right to parade around and not be harassed, but the instant they drove around a police barracade into downtown, a known hornet's nest, you have to know there will likely be consequences.
You have lost all my constitutional sympathy at that point. It becomes a violent recreational sport.

My only real hope is that no innocent person is caught in the crossfire.

chaos

#207 Post by chaos » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:26 pm

Trump constantly tweets LAW & ORDER, but I haven't heard him denounce the violence of his supporters. He seems to justify it. When it was brought to his attention that many of the people in the Trump caravan came armed with paintballs, he hemmed and hawed, and said paint balls won't kill you. Then a reporter mentioned that one of his supporters did kill someone, and asked him if condoned his supporters acting as vigilantes. DJT said something along the lines of - well they see the horrible things that are happening to our country blah, blah, blah. He has the power at that podium to influence his "patriotic" supporters. I don't think he is doing a very good job of it.

I thought the statement Biden made today in Pittsburgh was in response to pundits referring to rioters as protesters, emphasizing that they are not synonymous. :noclue:
Last edited by chaos on Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kv

#208 Post by kv » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:31 pm

Ya and when asked if he wanted armed civs policing the streets he said he'd prefer the police to handle this...Then why not say that to the people in an address? Oh course not...he also said the 17 year old was running for his life and attacked....yeah...right after he'd shot someone....

chaos

#209 Post by chaos » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:41 pm

kv wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:31 pm
Ya and when asked if he wanted armed civs policing the streets he said he'd prefer the police to handle this...Then why not say that to the people in an address?
Exactly.

nausearockpig

#210 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:05 am

mockbee wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:34 am
clickie wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:07 am
nausearockpig wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:19 pm
Would you say the US is the best it’s been for blacks and other minorities? I’m not poking, that’s a serious question to get your perspective.
Blacks eh, who are you Jimmy the Greek?
He doesn't know. That's alright. It's tricky...... :noclue:

:bored:

I caught mister clickie before he could delete..... :wink: :lol:
Yeah...... He’s doing some good work. As usual. Groan.

mockbee

#211 Post by mockbee » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:30 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:05 am
mockbee wrote:
clickie wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Would you say the US is the best it’s been for blacks and other minorities? I’m not poking, that’s a serious question to get your perspective.

I was talking about you. :wink:

My fault though, I was being too vague and cheeky. :bigrin:

Typically in the USA, using the term "blacks" for Black people is derogatory and antiquated. Kind of like saying "orientals" for Asian people.

That's alright though, you didn't know that. And there are so many people here from wildly different cultural backgrounds, how could we all possibly have the same understandings on propriety.

That's one of the main reasons I enjoy coming here. Its amazingly rare that we can all be so different and share and still be so civil to one another, while still enjoying each others company.

Jane's does something good....... :thumb: :lol:

mockbee

#212 Post by mockbee » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:33 am

chaos wrote:

I have a whole new level of respect for you. :thumb:

:lol:

nausearockpig

#213 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:35 pm

mockbee wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:30 am
nausearockpig wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:05 am
mockbee wrote:
clickie wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:

I was talking about you. :wink:

My fault though, I was being too vague and cheeky. :bigrin:

Typically in the USA, using the term "blacks" for Black people is derogatory and antiquated. Kind of like saying "orientals" for Asian people.

That's alright though, you didn't know that. And there are so many people here from wildly different cultural backgrounds, how could we all possibly have the same understandings on propriety.

That's one of the main reasons I enjoy coming here. Its amazingly rare that we can all be so different and share and still be so civil to one another, while still enjoying each others company.

Jane's does something good....... :thumb: :lol:
Yeah ok. I wasn’t being anything.

kv

#214 Post by kv » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:40 pm

We know

mockbee

#215 Post by mockbee » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:04 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:35 pm

Absolutely no argument from me on that point.

You've always been cool. :tiphat:

nausearockpig

#216 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:09 pm

mockbee wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:04 pm
nausearockpig wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:35 pm

Absolutely no argument from me on that point.

You've always been cool. :tiphat:
kv wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:40 pm
We know
Thumbs up icon X 2

chaos

#217 Post by chaos » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:51 am

mockbee wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:33 am
chaos wrote:

I have a whole new level of respect for you. :thumb:

mockbee

#218 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:29 am

Trump and the protesters agree........RESIGN Wheeler!

He'll move instead, problem solved.

:banghead:

:drink: :drink: :drink:
Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler says he’ll move after protest outside his condo building draws arrests, widespread calls for change
Updated Sep 02, 2020; Posted Sep 01, 2020

By Everton Bailey Jr. | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler says he’s looking for a new place to live after his Pearl District condo building has been the site of repeated demonstrations, including on Monday when crowds demanded he resign and some people set fires and broke windows.

In an email Tuesday from Wheeler to other residents of the 16-floor high-rise tower, the mayor said it would be “best for me and for everyone else’s safety and peace” that he finds a new home. He assured people that police are taking their safety concerns seriously and invited them to a Thursday evening meeting that will include himself and officers to voice their concerns.

“I want to express my sincere apologies for the damage to our home and the fear that you are experiencing due to my position,” according to a screenshot of the email sent to The Oregonian/OregonLive. “It’s unfair to all of you who have no role in politics or in my administration.”

The building has 114 units and retail space on the bottom floor. Wheeler bought his two-bedroom condo for $840,000 in 2017, according to Multnomah County property records.

Protests calling for policing and social justice reforms have taken place daily throughout the city since late May. Demonstrators have gathered outside Wheeler’s condo building sporadically since mid-June — at least twice when he was not there. On Monday, Wheeler’s 58th birthday, some in a group of more than 200 graffitied and damaged the building and sidewalk and threw a burning bundle of newspapers into retail space in the building.

Police arrested 19 people during the demonstration. Most are accused of disorderly conduct and interfering with a peace officer; the latter is the most common accusation levied against protesters arrested during demonstrations over the last three months.

A widely circulated video recorded by an Oregon Public Broadcasting reporter during the overnight demonstration shows one Portland officer tackling another person to the ground and repeatedly punching them in the head.

The mayor’s office said Tuesday that case will likely be reviewed by the city’s Independent Police Review. In a public statement, Wheeler described both the officer’s punches and damages to the area buildings as “senseless violence.”

“These acts range from stupid, to dangerous, to criminal,” Wheeler said. “The violence must stop. None of this should sit well with any thinking Portlander.”

The demonstration also drew a response from Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell, who called on elected officials to “draw a line in the sand and to hold people accountable.” He did not address any footage of officers attacking people. Oregon House Speaker Tina Kotek called for greater acknowledgement by elected officials of Portland police’s role in violence that occurs during nightly protests. Kotek, who represents parts of North and Northeast Portland, said officers who use excessive force should be held “sufficiently accountable.”

Xizen47

#219 Post by Xizen47 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:57 am

Utilize your police force and stop this rioting, how hard is it Wheeler? Stop the rioting, show some force, and you win the coming election :noclue: Why are you trying to appease a mob that hates you?

Set a curfew, crack down, there's no legitimate reason for any protests to be happening in Portland right now with this unrest. The chance of rioting/looting coming out of a protest in Portland right now is about close to 100%. If you're a "peaceful protester" taking to the streets in Portland right now, you're complicit in the riots (silence is violence, right?). What are we at, 97 straight nights w/a declared riot?

chaos

#220 Post by chaos » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:33 pm

Xizen47 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:57 am
If you're a "peaceful protester" taking to the streets in Portland right now, you're complicit in the riots (silence is violence, right?).
In my neck of the woods, "silence is violence" means that people need to speak out, hence peaceful protests.

chaos

#221 Post by chaos » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:17 pm

This was posted by a Republican representative of Louisiana 3rd congressional district regarding a black militia:

Facebook has taken the post down. My question is whether this representative holds the same views regarding white militias?

What irks me is the double-standard people have regarding constitutional rights. Sure I would like exceptions made, but it doesn't work that way no matter how messy it gets.

With regard to the First Amendment people are allowed to protest at funerals. I think that that abhorrent. Protests can last a long time. It is inconvenient. Rioters and armed militias may show up at protests. So law-abiding protesters need to forsake their First Amendment rights because those other two groups (who also have the right to be there to protest peacefully) may become violent? What is it the 2nd Amendment people say, guns don't kill people, people kill people. With that logic, wouldn't that also apply to the rioters and militias?

What is going on in Portland has more to do with a failure of leadership than with the protests. People who participate in civil disobedience understand that they will be arrested. One example - you can be arrested for trespassing despite the fact that you are peacefully protesting. People who practice civil disobedience understand when a law has been broken (trespassing) and accept that they will be arrested.

Portland needs to get its act together. Why hasn't the City of Oregon made more arrests? When they did make arrests, why did they choose to arrest people who weren't breaking any laws? Why doesn't the state Oregon call on its National Guard troops? Numerous questions can be raised and it is complicated. Blaming peaceful protestors because they simply won't go home seems to reward all the wrong people.

kv

#222 Post by kv » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Ya riot police clear the streets... :noclue: seems simple but optics...their job is peace and protection...declare shit riots then clear...just everything is stuck on the election...def hasn't helped cops keep getting caught on film jacking folks

That guy is fucking scared...zero reason to talk..if he has to defend he'll deal at that time...this is a dog barking

Xizen47

#223 Post by Xizen47 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:16 pm

chaos wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:17 pm
Blaming peaceful protestors because they simply won't go home seems to reward all the wrong people.
Say you were a protester, and 9 out of every 10 nights you go out, someones buisness is looted, and 5-10 people are injured. But if you stay home, nothing happens. What are you going to do? It's just for the greater good at this point to stay indoors if you want to help curb the violence...

We've all been in lockdown, going crazy, wearing masks for 7 months for the greater good.. I dont think it's too much to ask for people to stay off the streets for a week :noclue:

chaos

#224 Post by chaos » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:13 pm

^ I get what you are saying and realize the small group of people causing trouble are hiding amongst the larger group with protesters.

Let's say the protesters stay home, and as a result the rioters are forced to stay away because they have nowhere to hide. How does that solve the problem? As soon as the protesters return, the rioters will return. It provides negative reinforcement to the people breaking the law by having law-abiding citizens forgo their First Amendment right to protest for change, and as a result the larger issues do not get addressed and NOTHING CHANGES. That's not for the greater good. Rinse, repeat in another city for another injustice.

I am reminded of Niemöller:

First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a socialist.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out— because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Xizen47

#225 Post by Xizen47 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:09 pm

Doesn't the rioting/looting essentially render the protest/message ineffective? I'd honestly like to know how "peaceful protesting" is solving any problems right now. I'm not even sure I understand what they want, half of them probably don't know, they're out there yelling Death to America? Abolish the police? Equity? Donald Trump's a fascist lol... Someone needs to come up with a clear, well stated message.. Blms lack of leadership is going to be it's downfall.