Ritual Rocktober LP re-release

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
tvrec

Ritual Rocktober LP re-release

#1 Post by tvrec » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:24 am

Appears there is a limited, in whatever number, release coming out of Ritual as part of Rhino's Rocktober releases this year. Vinyl, milky clear and white:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylReleases/ ... ual_de_lo/

tvrec

Re: Ritual Rocktober LP re-release

#2 Post by tvrec » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:29 pm

Here's a link to Rough Trade's Pre-Order: https://www.roughtrade.com/us/jane-s-ad ... o-habitual

Mescal

#3 Post by Mescal » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:29 pm

unfortunately, "three days" and "then she did . . ." are overlong and get bogged down well

:banghead:

phenobarb_bambalam

#4 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:40 pm

It's interesting to see Rough Trade listing it. It looks like this is part of Rhino's Rocktober releases and is only meant to be available via brick and mortar. Most sites show it as "sold out". I am guessing they'll be readily available in person starting October 2nd, and probably should be sold online as pre-orders.

The photos on Discogs makes it seem like minimal effort, per usual. It looks more clear to me than "milky", rather like their 2017 reissue of NS for the same 'event'. It's a pity they didn't make an effort with this.

https://www.discogs.com/Janes-Addiction ... e/15851386

It looks like there there's also a reissue of FNM's The Real Thing on coloured vinyl. And the OST for The Crow. Rhino doesn't seem to be very organized at announcing details, though.

tvrec

#5 Post by tvrec » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:38 am

Mescal wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:29 pm
unfortunately, "three days" and "then she did . . ." are overlong and get bogged down well

:banghead:
Yeah, that write-up is quite chalk-a-blocked with backhanded complements. :lol:

Even at that, it's more than Rhino seems to be doing. I don't think they've released any official layout for the promo yet, just kind of piecemeal from all individual stores (brick and mortar and online).

phenobarb_bambalam

#6 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:37 pm

It seems messy. Some stores were selling online, and now aren't. Others are still selling. Classic Jane's Addiction roll-out, even if they have nothing to do with it on this occasion. Hook in mouth, have ordered it and will see what slithers through the postbox.

parklife03

#7 Post by parklife03 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:36 am

...and another great chance got wasted from Warner. The album is 30 years and you print a reissue, but you don't offer anything new at all.
Not making a remaster, not adding new liner notes, a live song or even an "already released" outtake.

We all know that "Ritual..." is a classic album not only for Jane's fans, but for general vinyl collectors and rock enthusiasts; and these reissues can really do very well with those minor added things. Is it that hard?! :hs:

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:33 pm

This release will be the 3rd time RDLH has been issued as a 2 LP set and will be the 3rd “remaster.” The first 2009 record store day release sounded pretty lousy compared to an original LP or CD. The second release, pressed as part of the Silver Spoon box, was better but still lacked the nice, live sounding tone of an original first pressing. I don’t know how good or not this release will sound but it is definitely at least a new master for vinyl. Maybe Rhino will get it right this time.

BTW, it will be widely available at stores like Barnes @nd Nobel.

Mescal

#9 Post by Mescal » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:20 pm

Any news on an European release?

I read somewhere that it is indeed a new cut, so yeah, who knows, Maybe they got it right this time.

Would but a copy, but the price for shipping from the US is the same as the cost for the lp

parklife03

#10 Post by parklife03 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:25 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:33 pm
This release will be the 3rd time RDLH has been issued as a 2 LP set and will be the 3rd “remaster.” The first 2009 record store day release sounded pretty lousy compared to an original LP or CD. The second release, pressed as part of the Silver Spoon box, was better but still lacked the nice, live sounding tone of an original first pressing. I don’t know how good or not this release will sound but it is definitely at least a new master for vinyl. Maybe Rhino will get it right this time.

BTW, it will be widely available at stores like Barnes @nd Nobel.
Well, I take back my words. Those are really good news. I hope they upload the new masters to streaming platforms too, but I know it's different when it's mastered for vinyl.

Bandit72

#11 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:50 am

Stephen posted this yesterday. Wonder if it'll be a 30 year Ritual 'celebration'? :eyes:

https://twitter.com/stephenperkins/stat ... 99200?s=20