What made your day today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
mockbee

Re: What made your day today?

#4026 Post by mockbee » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:41 am

Well.....as I would surmise the Holiday Farm fire along the McKenzie River in Oregon was a tragedy, but I suppose you can always find an upside to most all situations.

Such as.......all the rich fucks (pardon my french, you'd say the same if you met these people, and their oh so uniquely desperate situation regarding their second/third homes... :eyes: ) whose expansive river homes/mcmansions were burned down, and are now clamoring to get them rebuilt with insurance money and before current zoning ordinances kick in for their properties that would make them unbuildable.

Never seen design contracts signed so fast..... :lolol:

First work in 9 months....and the week before unemployment runs out....... :rockon: :banana:

intertwoven

#4027 Post by intertwoven » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:37 pm

We bought a house. Moving in this weekend (finally, after jumping through a bunch of hoops for the mortgage, barely making our closing date). NE Portland.. nice neighborhood.. a little over our budget, but we should be ok barring anything unforeseen (*queue the unforeseen*). First-time homeowners. Pretty excited about it!

creep
Site Admin

#4028 Post by creep » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:49 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:37 pm
We bought a house. Moving in this weekend (finally, after jumping through a bunch of hoops for the mortgage, barely making our closing date). NE Portland.. nice neighborhood.. a little over our budget, but we should be ok barring anything unforeseen (*queue the unforeseen*). First-time homeowners. Pretty excited about it!
:thumb:

i just bought a house a couple months ago. for the last 30 years i've lived in sacramento and suburbs surrounding it. my new place is out in the country in a town with about 3 thousand people. it's much different having to drive 40 minutes to go to a decent hardware or grocery store but i like having no traffic and a much more privacy. i'm only on 1/2 an acre but you really can't get a lot that big in sacramento without paying 5x what i paid. i also just refinanced since interest rates are pretty ridiculous.

mockbee

#4029 Post by mockbee » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:17 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:37 pm
Congrats! Thats a big deal to close in Portland. Probably helps your cause that PDX has been a total shithole for the past 6 months.... :thumb: :hehe:

Rents/prices actually going down... :nod:

What neighborhood In NE?

Im in Cathedral Park in North, under the St Johns Bridge. Love it here. :tiphat:

intertwoven

#4030 Post by intertwoven » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:23 pm

Rose City Park.. near NE 61st and Halsey. Nice food cart pod down the block and a dog park, so we're set for our needs, lol.

mockbee

#4031 Post by mockbee » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:24 pm

creep wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:49 pm

i just bought a house a couple months ago. for the last 30 years i've lived in sacramento and suburbs surrounding it. my new place is out in the country in a town with about 3 thousand people. it's much different having to drive 40 minutes to go to a decent hardware or grocery store but i like having no traffic and a much more privacy. i'm only on 1/2 an acre but you really can't get a lot that big in sacramento without paying 5x what i paid. i also just refinanced since interest rates are pretty ridiculous.
What town? Thought you were in Folsom for a while, or looking, but thats a little larger. My boss had a place outside Grass Valley, real nice but seemed really dry.
Worried about fires?

I'd love to get up to Tahoe easily.

Like you, im also looking out a bit for a small place with some land. To get away and experiment with building and have a shop. A real nice 3 acre place came up in oakridge outside Eugene....beautiful views of the mountains and mature trees off a road 15 minutes from town in the hills and a dilapidated mobile home with decent bones I could strip it down and do something interesting. Asking 180K but it has a bid already. Gonna check back in 30 days.
Last edited by mockbee on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mockbee

#4032 Post by mockbee » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:26 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:23 pm
Rose City Park.. near NE 61st and Halsey. Nice food cart pod down the block and a dog park, so we're set for our needs, lol.
Ahhh...near Hollywood and Mt Tabor...nice. :thumb:

guysmiley

#4033 Post by guysmiley » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:55 pm

Good little neighborhood

creep
Site Admin

#4034 Post by creep » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:34 am

mockbee wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:24 pm

What town? Thought you were in Folsom for a while, or looking, but thats a little larger. My boss had a place outside Grass Valley, real nice but seemed really dry.
valley springs. it's in the foothills so not a crazy high fire danger but homeowners insurance was hard t find. a lot of the major companies wouldn't insure me. luckily farmers would and was somewhat reasonable.

folsom is pretty big now with 80,000 people. it's also really expensive. my same house there would be twice as much.

creep
Site Admin

#4035 Post by creep » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:40 am

mockbee wrote:
Like you, im also looking out a bit for a small place with some land. To get away and experiment with building and have a shop. A real nice 3 acre place came up in oakridge outside Eugene....beautiful views of the mountains and mature trees off a road 15 minutes from town in the hills and a dilapidated mobile home with decent bones I could strip it down and do something interesting. Asking 180K but it has a bid already. Gonna check back in 30 days.
that would be awesome. i've always wanted to build my own home but construction is getting harder and harder the older i get. i'm currently nailing down new flooring and the constant up and down is brutal. i'm nor sure building a house is in my future. :oldtimer:

mockbee

#4036 Post by mockbee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:26 am

creep wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:40 am
mockbee wrote:
Like you, im also looking out a bit for a small place with some land. To get away and experiment with building and have a shop. A real nice 3 acre place came up in oakridge outside Eugene....beautiful views of the mountains and mature trees off a road 15 minutes from town in the hills and a dilapidated mobile home with decent bones I could strip it down and do som: ething interesting. Asking 180K but it has a bid already. Gonna check back in 30 days.
that would be awesome. i've always wanted to build my own home but construction is getting harder and harder the older i get. i'm currently nailing down new flooring and the constant up and down is brutal. i'm nor sure building a house is in my future. :oldtimer:
I dont know if you've built a house from scratch? Just remodels? But if you know what you're doing, just get some college kids for the labor. They'll work for real cheap if they feel like they're learning something and feel respected. Donuts and pizza and beer go a long ways... :wink:

I think you and I have opposite skills in terms of building. I'm good with the design/framing/concrete/sheetrock work, but haven't done the finish and MEP work. Well, I've done some mech work with ducting (hated that! :balls: :lol: ) and also replaced some ceiling exhaust fans. And a couple weeks ago shocked myself when I was fixing a cadet in the wall and didt realize 5he power was still on.... :lol:

We should team up. :thumb:
Like oakridge? I think you would....its not crazy conservative and not stupid liberal either. And drop dead gorgeous. It's above the muck weather of Eugene. Sunny and cool with clouds that move through in the winter and of course dry warm in the summer. Tons of mountain biking/ 15 minutes to skiing snowboarding/snow shoeing at Willamette Pass. Three beautiful alpine lakes close by. Tons of hiking and waterfalls within 30 minutes....what else is there....two breweries and a nice bakery in town ......a couple restaurants ....a great burger joint..... :thumb:
Amd just an hour to Eugene if you need stuff....

Nobody knows about it yet, but they're starting to. :nod: :noclue:

mockbee

#4037 Post by mockbee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:11 am

creep wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:40 am
i'm currently nailing down new flooring and the constant up and down is brutal. i'm nor sure building a house is in my future. :oldtimer:

Yeah, up and down and hard surfaces on the knees is brutal. I decided to spend this summer outside building a fence out of pallets I found. It went well, until I coudln't see shit and couldn't breath because of the fires. But made pretty good progress...

I only paid for the hinges and a couple bags of concrete...and a couple 4x4 posts

mockbee

#4038 Post by mockbee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:41 am

Creep, here's the mobile home in Oakridge. $180K for the house and 3 acres:

Views out the front of the house/yard:

Back yard goes waaaay back, there are forest meadows and lots of mature trees:

I saw lots of deer and it's really really quiet.

Here is a property in town (oakridge) that I think I will just pick up, even if I just sit on it. 18k ea. for the (2) lots between the houses. You're everyday guys are already building houses out here and they are selling

Juana

#4039 Post by Juana » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:49 pm

Betting against the Dodgers last night won me 12 bottles of Diplomatico Ambassador if anyone knows rum I'm going to have a decent weekend and celebrate my friend

creep
Site Admin

#4040 Post by creep » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:11 pm

mockbee wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:41 am
That looks pretty nice for the money. It helps that it's on a permanent foundation. Much easier to sell.

I wish I didn't have to work a real job and I could "flip" FT. If I was a little younger I might take the chance.

For now it's buy and sell every two years. :bored:

creep
Site Admin

#4041 Post by creep » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:19 pm

mockbee wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:11 am

Yeah, up and down and hard surfaces on the knees is brutal. I decided to spend this summer outside building a fence out of pallets I found. It went well, until I coudln't see shit and couldn't breath because of the fires. But made pretty good progress...

I only paid for the hinges and a couple bags of concrete...and a couple 4x4 posts
nice job :thumb:

I'm trying to get better at reusing shit. I just took out a bunch of oak cabinets and saved the wood for something else in the future and normally I would just get rid of it.

Also where I live it's free to go to the dump and they let you pick through the wood pile and take what you want so I might try to find some wood for some landscaping stuff.

mockbee

#4042 Post by mockbee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:16 pm

creep wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:11 pm
mockbee wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:41 am
That looks pretty nice for the money. It helps that it's on a permanent foundation. Much easier to sell.

I wish I didn't have to work a real job and I could "flip" FT. If I was a little younger I might take the chance.

For now it's buy and sell every two years. :bored:
See, you were thinking what I was thinking about the foundation. If it's real, that's a steal. I didn't have a proper tour, and I was trying to see if that was just split faced veneer block or if it's actually a stem wall. Couldn't see inside the vents and felt a little hollow when you banged on it. I think it's just 4" veneer unfortunately, but the wall is in really good shape. But wouldn't really matter if I wanted to do something extensive (or anything really, outside of sprucing up the interior) Definitely needs a new roof, but I don't think there is water damage to the walls/interior. It's a foreclosure so the interior is totally shot, looks like a junkie lived there unfortunately.

mockbee

#4043 Post by mockbee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:30 pm

creep wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:19 pm

nice job :thumb:

I'm trying to get better at reusing shit. I just took out a bunch of oak cabinets and saved the wood for something else in the future and normally I would just get rid of it.

Also where I live it's free to go to the dump and they let you pick through the wood pile and take what you want so I might try to find some wood for some landscaping stuff.
Thanks, I still have more I want to do, but moved on to building a new deck in the back, as whenever I moved my deck chair around a leg would go through the painted cedar decking boards. Previous owner was meticulous in painting the deck boards, not good, traps water.

It costs $40 for your first #350 and $10 for every #100 from there at our local dump. People still go in droves....

I had a lot of time on my hands this last year so I have been scavaging for wood and metal at all the industrial warehouses and manufacuters here. Very successful. Marble and granite suppliers and wholesale contractor suppliers are the best of the best. Regularly they throw out huge protective casings for shipping made of 2x4, 2x6, 2x8 and 2x10 - 8' and 10' lengths. It takes a bit of legwork to dissasemble on site with a crowbar and sledge, but I got easily $4,000 worth of clean framing lumber over the summer, fun doing it too. Now I can't do it, have a job, but that's alright. Definitely for the best.

Here's part of my pile, have another 4 piles like the one in the background. You can see this was the day the fires moved in as well. In about an hour, the weather turned to RED and stayed that way for days....

Larry B.

#4044 Post by Larry B. » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:51 am

You people have really big fucking houses!

We recently bought a flat of our own here in Santiago. We are currently repairing it, as the previous owners rented it to some really disgusting people. Hopefully, we'll move around January 2021. It's in a nice part of town and one of the good things is that we're basically designing it as we want from the bottom up. Windows, floors, electric, heating, kitchen... just everything.

It's been quite fun.

And the building was built in like 1955, so I wouldn't be too surprised if in the next 10-15 years we receive an offer as a construction company attempts to buy the whole lot.

Juana

#4045 Post by Juana » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:18 am

I hate horses but I got to hang out with some today at the Luck Ranch, and the man the myth and legend and I shared a bowl but not in normal fashion :kv: I stayed at least 15 ft away can't let 2020 take him as well

kv

#4046 Post by kv » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:12 am

That's rad...

Juana

#4047 Post by Juana » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:20 am

kv wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:12 am
That's rad...
I needed it, weird how one of your heroes can normalize even the worst week

kv

#4048 Post by kv » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:33 am

It's a coin flip...luck was on your side :lolol:

Juana

#4049 Post by Juana » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:33 am

That I got to be a part of this image while I was continuing my right sleeve

Today I'm gonna be writing a song for a friend

mockbee

#4050 Post by mockbee » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:04 pm

Great day!

Got the lot!!!

Still one left........ :wink:

Creep, you need to get a job up here and build spec houses.
They will sell for $300-500K and you won't be dinking around with small returns....
You're always saying how much you hate Cali, you got real outdoors here without the crowds...... :nod:
Plus you get an NBA team that will be in playoffs every year and people like them, a lot.

No good burritos though............ :nyrexall: