Donald Trump running for President.

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
mockbee

Re: Donald Trump running for President.

#1001 Post by mockbee » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:25 am

Also.... the Military brass, past and present, want Trump out just as badly as the majority of the politicians. So they would, and have, without a doubt preempted any allegiance talk with "No way would we do that."

Trump is just a one man show with close to a dozen politician lackeys and 74,000,000 supporters, and a good 40 million of those who think Trump was robbed in the election.

Despite what CNN/MSNBC/NYTimes would like us all to beleive, that there is some vast insidious and secret operation going on, I am pretty sure that what you see is what you got.

:noclue:

mockbee

#1002 Post by mockbee » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:40 am

kv wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:07 pm
It's just absurd...

If anyone missed the point...it's trumpers rocking out to rage against the machine while waving thin blue line flags...

"Some of those that work forces
Are the same that burn crosses"

"You justify those who died
By wearing the badge
They're the chosen whites"

:banghead:
:scared:

:wavesad:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#1003 Post by Hokahey » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:11 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:59 am
Artemis wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:08 am
Like Nausea, I don't understand how the rioters got as far as they did. Yes, the large number overwhelmed the police there but, I would think that there are people in the government whose job it is to monitor social media, and various hate groups to keep tabs on what they're doing. If some of the rioters flew in from other cities and drove many hours, the riot wasn't a spontaneous event. Security should have been increased. I know it's easy to say that AFTER the fact, but it looked way too easy to get in.
Like Mockbee said, the Capitol internal security force are basically glorified mall cops. The problem was whatever security and law enforcement was posted *outside* the Capitol. There was plenty of chatter online in the days and weeks before this happened giving them plenty of time to have a more than adequate plan for dealing with a possible violent mob. Obviously, there was a major underestimation of how large and how far this mob would go once they were plenty inflamed. IMO, there's a combination of several key things that led to the storming of the Capitol that include Trump and Co not authorizing the needed resources in the days leading up to and during the actual siege, a complete breakdown of planning and response within the command structure of the resources that *were* in place, and some sympathetic to Trump within the policing and security.

To a large degree the poor response is due to Trump and his people purposely hobbling any sort of real security for that day. That in itself could certainly be interpreted as a planned and organized insurrection against the US Government far beyond Trump inciting his believers with thinly veiled rhetoric. There certainly was a difference in the planning, scale of security and response used between Wednesday and the protesting last Summer when Trump did his idiotic Bible photo op.

One last thing: It was very telling a few weeks ago that Military officials said they wouldn't be a part of any effort to become involved in any attempt by Trump to overturn the election. Think about it - there was word floating around that this was even a possibility and it was felt a disclaimer needed to be issued. I'd guess it was likely Trump and his people were discreetly contacting leaders of the various branches about backing him ... that's more or less a banana republic attempt at a coup.
The military brass came out and said that at the time that he was refusing to say whether there would be a peaceful transition of power. That doesn't necessarily mean you are wrong, but at the time it seemed very clear to me that that's what they were responding to. I think this is no more nefarious than the fact that Trump is the biggest sore loser in the history of humanity and is more than happy to let however many thousands of his extreme idiots do what they're going to do as punishment to The Establishment for not helping him cheat to win.

nausearockpig

#1004 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:50 am

Soooooo....... he’s impeached? And?

Hype

#1005 Post by Hype » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:37 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:50 am
It still has to pass the Senate. If it does, then Pence becomes Prez for a couple of days and could pardon him.

mockbee

#1006 Post by mockbee » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:44 am

There's literally no way the Senate votes in time before Trump's term expires. I don't see Senate Republicans holding a trial and 2/3rds voting to convict (8 Republicans if all the Dems show up and Kamala votes as VP) after he is out.

Easy to just say its theater... :noclue:

chaos

#1007 Post by chaos » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:39 am

If DJT is convicted in the Senate after his term, another vote can be held to bar him from running for office again. He can also lose benefits granted under the Post President's Act (pension, travel expenses etc.) https://www.archives.gov/about/laws/for ... dents.html

Pandemonium

#1008 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:04 am

It's not going to get done in the Senate until after the new Senate convenes and Biden takes office. McConnell won't take it up until probably sometime in February. A few reasons for not ramming it through this week include some in the Senate are terrified of further inflaming the crazies or at least alienating their voters. Also, by then the Senate will be controlled by Schumer and the narrow lead of the Dems both maybe taking some heat off of McConnell as well as possibly getting a couple more Dem votes to get the required majority. Finally, some Constitutional scholars have conflicting opinions on whether one Senate can start the trial and if it drags, the vote to convict by another (new) Senate can happen. There's language that isn't clear within the Constitution. The other answer is some Repubs just want to screw with Biden's first 100 days and put this whole circus on his run.

Biden and the Dems are going to have their hands full in the coming months with the Covid relief bills and trying to better organize testing and vaccine rollout on a Federal level even if they do "split" work days in The Senate trying to accomplish that stuff and impeachment hearings.

Also, to no one's surprise, Trump just threw Guianni under the bus, ordering his people *not* to pay Rudy for "work" he's done on Trumps behalf in the past few months. Apparently, Trump thinks Rudy didn't do enough to help Orange Man flip the election.

mockbee

#1009 Post by mockbee » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:08 pm

There is only a slim plurality of public support for impeachment and conviction in the Senate right now. I imagine that support will significantly wane when Dems control the Presidency, the House and the Senate. Congress currently has about 15% approval rating according to Gallup, from December, that typically plateaus at 20% after an election in the last decade or so.

I think McConnell knew exactly what he was doing with his shrewd/slimeball move of delaying the trial and vote for the next Congress. This will be a mess nobody wants to touch and Democrats will have sole responsibilty over it. Already 197 Republican House members (93%) voted NOT to impeach, out of 211.

I could see a couple Republican Senate members voting to convict but have a hard time seeing 17!! (i got the math wrong before saying 8) Republicans doing so after he is out of office. For sure Romney and Toomey, and possibly Collins - but very doubtful - for convicting. The rest....no way. They have to face voters again, or they are retiring and most likely realize they and their families will be harassed the rest of their lives by their constituents if they vote to convict.

Trump is still the leader of the Republican Party and I think will remain so, and will probably be able to run in 2024 if he wants to. We'll find out by the end of February.

:bored:

nausearockpig

#1010 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:27 pm

Hype wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:37 am
nausearockpig wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:50 am
It still has to pass the Senate. If it does, then Pence becomes Prez for a couple of days and could pardon him.
D’oh! I thought I had read that it had passed the senate, that 6 or so Republicans crossed the floor. Turns out it was the lower house I was reading about. Groan.

mockbee

#1011 Post by mockbee » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:50 pm

mockbee wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:08 pm

McConnell knew exactly what he was doing with his shrewd/slimeball move of delaying the trial and vote for the next Congress. This will be a mess nobody wants to touch and Democrats will have sole responsibilty over it. Already 197 Republican House members (93%) voted NOT to impeach, out of 211.

I could see a couple Republican Senate members voting to convict but have a hard time seeing 17!! (i got the math wrong before saying 8) Republicans doing so after he is out of office. For sure Romney and Toomey, and possibly Collins - but very doubtful - for convicting. The rest....no way. They have to face voters again, or they are retiring and most likely realize they and their families will be harassed the rest of their lives by their constituents if they vote to convict.

Trump is still the leader of the Republican Party and I think will remain so, and will probably be able to run in 2024 if he wants to. We'll find out by the end of February.

:bored:
McConnell's telling vote on impeachment trial
Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) voted for a motion saying former President Trump's impeachment trial is unconstitutional because he is no longer in office.

Just five Republican senators – Mitt Romney, Ben Sasse, Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski and Pat Toomey – were among the votes to table the measure.
Looks like Trump will be not be convicted in the upcoming impeachment trial. I forgot about Sasse and Murkowski
Always pretty much a given...... :noclue: ..

Unless Democrats come up with some completely compelling and unknown testimony!
:drink: :lol:

I could see Sasse/Collins/Murk voting not to convict as well, if they have any interest in continuing in politics.....looks like House Repubs who voted 'yes' are already running into trouble... :noclue:

Pandemonium

#1012 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:30 pm

mockbee wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:50 pm
Looks like Trump will be not be convicted in the upcoming impeachment trial. I forgot about Sasse and Murkowski
Always pretty much a given...... :noclue: ..

Unless Democrats come up with some completely compelling and unknown testimony!
:drink: :lol:

I could see Sasse/Collins/Murk voting not to convict as well, if they have any interest in continuing in politics.....looks like House Repubs who voted 'yes' are already running into trouble... :noclue:
There's plenty of compelling evidence that was broadcast and documented the day of the riot. This should have been a slam dunk but a lot of Senate Repubs are cowards looking to save their political futures in case Trump and his nutty fringe supporters have any pull going forward. They see what is happening to Liz Cheney and are falling in line to save their asses. The big fail here is that again, Dems fucked up by not powering through this on day one of the new administration which gave Repubs time to strategize and circle the wagons.

mockbee

#1013 Post by mockbee » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:52 am

Well, you can't say the Democrats don't have a plan!

Looks like they are considering taking testimony from the Q Shaman guy, and he has already said he is up for the task of implicating Trump for his impeachable crime...

Now THAT would be compelling testimony.... :lolol:
Highest ratings in TV history..... :noclue: :drink:
Media has to love it.... :bday:

Open and closed, just get him on the stand Leahy!

Except no one would recognize him if he didn't come with animal skins and full makeup.... :hehe:
:lol:

Clayton lawyer Al Watkins: 'QAnon Shaman' willing to testify in Trump's impeachment trial
Robert Patrick

CLAYTON — A lawyer for one of the men charged with participating in the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol said his client is willing to testify in the impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump.

Lawyer Al Watkins said in a statement Thursday that Jacob A. Chansley, of Arizona, is willing to talk about whether he believed that Trump would accompany protesters to the Capitol, as he said in a speech before the riot, and “whether the words of former President Trump were understood by Mr. Chansley to be nothing short of an invitation to go to the Capitol with the President to fight like hell.”

Chansley, who was shirtless, carrying a spear, and wearing face paint and fur and horns in the Capitol, is a longtime Trump supporter and adherent to the bizarre and false QAnon conspiracy theories.

Watkins, who has offices in Clayton, had earlier suggested that Trump should pardon Chansley because he was following Trump’s instructions, and then announced that his appeal directly to Trump’s chief of staff had failed to win that pardon.

In Thursday’s statement Watkins said, “If the pending Article of Impeachment has merit, the voice of Mr. Chansley, and the voice of others in like position, must be heard and believed.”

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/cri ... c8d68.html