I was wondering what you consider as the best non-JA album

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
nestos

I was wondering what you consider as the best non-JA album

#1 Post by nestos » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:48 am

Out of P4P either, as I think GGU is probably the best effort ever to be released by someone related to the band...

(if someone here is still ready to share his views again on a topic that should have been discussed xxxth time)

creep
Site Admin

Re: I was wondering what you consider as the best non-JA album

#2 Post by creep » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:58 am

The first P4P followed bt GGU and then SYTBS.

I never really liked any Dave or Eric side/solo stuff.

A few years back Martyn released a couple of solo songs I really liked.

trevor ayer

#3 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:25 am

pfp>kettle>spread>banyan>polarbear>goodgods>decon>sytbs>strays>escape>sp>kindheaving>ilikembig

Stickyfingers

#4 Post by Stickyfingers » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:32 am

It's very simple,
take the timeline of everything they have produced since 92 until now,

and it's all downhill, year after year. :wave:

nestos

#5 Post by nestos » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:53 am

Stickyfingers wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:32 am
It's very simple,

Quite true :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#6 Post by Hokahey » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:04 pm

Stickyfingers wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:32 am
It's very simple,

Pretty spot on. Although I think GGU is better than P4P or Decon. But it was all pretty good until the aughts.

Matz

#7 Post by Matz » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:23 pm

OHM, with GGU being a close second

Stubborn

#8 Post by Stubborn » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:09 am

"Dust" by Screaming Trees. I know it is a highly unpopular opinion but ST was as close to my music heart as JA. In case you have never heard about them or managed to forget. Screaming Trees is an American rock band from the genre known in the early 1990s as grunge. The band was formed in 1985 in Ellensburg, Washington.
Their sound combined psychedelia from the 1960s and punk rock from the west coast of the United States. The band never achieved star status despite very favorable reviews from music critics. It disbanded after touring for their last studio album Dust released in 1996. Yeah, my favorite album was their demise.

bman

#9 Post by bman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:52 pm

Stubborn wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:09 am
"Dust" by Screaming Trees. I know it is a highly unpopular opinion but ST was as close to my music heart as JA. In case you have never heard about them or managed to forget. Screaming Trees is an American rock band from the genre known in the early 1990s as grunge. The band was formed in 1985 in Ellensburg, Washington.
Their sound combined psychedelia from the 1960s and punk rock from the west coast of the United States. The band never achieved star status despite very favorable reviews from music critics. It disbanded after touring for their last studio album Dust released in 1996. Yeah, my favorite album was their demise.
I've been on a Lanegan kick lately. His book is great. I totally slept on the trees during that era. I've been listening to his solo stuff. Really great dark stuff.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#10 Post by Hokahey » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:29 pm

bman wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:52 pm
Stubborn wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:09 am
I've been on a Lanegan kick lately. His book is great. I totally slept on the trees during that era. I've been listening to his solo stuff. Really great dark stuff.
His work with QOTSA is fantastic as well. I saw them front row at Lolla 03. Lanegan standing stock still singing Hanging Tree in the dusty, hot and hazy afternoon sun is one of my favorite concert memories.

someguy

#11 Post by someguy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:00 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:29 pm

His work with QOTSA is fantastic as well. I saw them front row at Lolla 03. Lanegan standing stock still singing Hanging Tree in the dusty, hot and hazy afternoon sun is one of my favorite concert memories.
Jealous you saw them play Hangin Tree. That lineup with Lanegan and Oliveri is on par with original Jane's for me. I saw them open for the Chili Peppers and they were unreal. Lanegan sauntered onto the stage, sang three tunes and then bounced like he didn't give a shit. Good times.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#12 Post by Hokahey » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:37 pm

someguy wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:00 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:29 pm

Jealous you saw them play Hangin Tree. That lineup with Lanegan and Oliveri is on par with original Jane's for me. I saw them open for the Chili Peppers and they were unreal. Lanegan sauntered onto the stage, sang three tunes and then bounced like he didn't give a shit. Good times.
I was blown away by that line-up for sure, and can understand why you'd feel that way. I wish it would have lasted, but you could feel the chaos Nick brought to the table. It was great for the show, but that tension never lasts in bands.

On a side note, I was later watching The Distillers on the side stage and realized I was standing next to Josh. I said "hey man, Songs for the Deaf is mind blowing, thanks for the great art." He looked sincerely grateful and said "thank you very much." I turned away at that point to give him his space but it was like everyone took my lead and swarmed him. I felt bad. He quickly disappeared and then reappeared behind the stage watching Brody.