The Smashing Pumpkins

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Tyler Durden

The Smashing Pumpkins

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:38 pm

Seeing as there is a requisite Chili Peppers thread on the board, I figured it would be apt to have a Pumpkins one as well.

So reissues for Gish and Siamese Dream are being released on Tuesday (November 29th). I've preordered them and am very excited to hear/see the stuff included in these sets. If Perry/Jane's has a clue, then reissues of Nothing's Shocking and Ritual should use a similar template to what Billy and Virgin have done here. Obviously Jane's doesn't have a large amount of rare tracks to include in potential reissues, but at the very least, they could include a DVD for each album of an old show.

GISH 2CD + DVD DELUXE EDITION

Groundbreaking, Iconic Debut Album
Remastered & Reissued for the First Time

INCLUDES:
Original Album Remastered With Reimagined Cover Art
15 Previously Unreleased or Alternative Versions of Gish Era Songs
Previously Unreleased, Full Length DVD From The Metro 1990
6 Postcards Featuring Never-Before-Seen Band Photos
24-page Booklet Featuring Complete Lyrics, Liner Notes by David Wild, and Track-by-Track Annotations by Billy Corgan

Disc One
I Am One
Siva
Rhinoceros
Bury Me
Crush
Suffer
Snail
Tristessa
Window Paine
Daydream

Disc Two
Starla (2011 mix)
Siva (Peel session) *
Honeyspider (Reel Time demos / 2011 mix)
Hippy Trippy (Crush Music Box demo)
Snail (live radio performance)
Plume (2011 mix)
Bury Me (Reel Time demos / 2011 mix)
Daydream (Old House demo)
Tristessa (Sub Pop single / 2011 mix)
Girl Named Sandoz (Peel session) *
Jesus Is The Sun (Apartment demo)
Blue (Gish sessions demo)
Smiley (Gish sessions demo)
I Am One (Reel Time demos / 2011 mix)
Seam (Suffer / Apartment demo)
La Dolly Vita (2011 mix)
Pulseczar (Gish sessions demo) *
Drown (alternate guitar solo)
All songs previously unreleased except where indicated: *

DVD
Live at The Metro, Chicago, IL 8/25/90
Introduction
I am one
Snail
Rhinoceros
Bury Me
Tristessa
Window Paine
Razor
Sookie Sookie
Godzilla
Crush - Acoustic

SIAMESE DREAM 2CD + DVD DELUXE EDITION

One of the Most Influential Albums of the 90's
Remastered and Reissued for the First Time

INCLUDES:
Original Album Remastered With Reimagined Cover Art
17 Previously Unreleased or Alternative Versions of Siamese Dream Era Songs
Previously Unreleased, Full Length DVD From The Metro 1993
13 Postcards Featuring Original Album Collages
24 Page Booklet Featuring Complete Lyrics, Unpublished Personal Photos, Liner Notes by David Wild, and Track-by-Track Annotations by Billy Corgan

Disc One
Cherub Rock
Quiet
Today
Hummer
Rocket
Disarm
Soma
Geek U.S.A.
Mayonaise
Spaceboy
Silverfuck
Sweet Sweet
Luna

Disc Two
Pissant (siamese sessions rough mix)
Siamese Dream (broadway rehearsal demo)
STP (rehearsal demo)
Frail and Bedazzled (soundworks demo)
Luna (apartment demo)
Quiet (bbc session/bc mix)
Moleasskiss (soundworks demo)
Hello Kitty Kat (soundworks demo)
Today (broadway rehearsal demo)
Never Let Me Down Again (bbc session) *
Apathy's Last Kiss (siamese sessions rough mix)
Ache (silverfuck rehearsal demo)
U.S.A. (soundworks demo)
U.S.S.R (soundworks demo)
Spaceboy (acoustic mix)
Rocket (rehearsal demo)
Disarm (acoustic mix)
Soma (instrumental mix)
All songs previously unreleased except where indicated: *

DVD
Live At The Metro, Chicago, 8/14/93
Introduction
Rocket
Quiet
Today
Rhinoceros
Geek U.S.A.
Soma
I am one
Disarm
Spaceboy
Starla
Cherub Rock
Bury Me
Hummer
Siva
Mayonaise
Drown
Silverfuck

These albums (without the bonus tracks) will also be reissued on vinyl at the same time. The other things is, these sets are reasonably priced. You can get both together for A THIRD OF THE PRICE of what Nirvana's "Nevermind" box set is going for...and in this case, you end up with an extra disc.

Pandemonium

Re: The Smashing Pumpkins

#2 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:50 pm

I'm actually looking far more towards the release (if the cd format is still around) of their 3rd and 4th studio albums.

Tyler Durden

#3 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Pandemonium wrote:I'm actually looking far more towards the release (if the cd format is still around) of their 3rd and 4th studio albums.
Yeah, I can't wait for Adore; especially if they include a live DVD from that tour. :bigrin:

I'm also interested in hearing the proposed remix of the Machina album.

intertwoven

#4 Post by intertwoven » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Pandemonium wrote:I'm actually looking far more towards the release (if the cd format is still around) of their 3rd and 4th studio albums.
I hope the MCIS set includes a bunch of the full "Pastichio Medley" songs.

Tyler Durden

#5 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:37 pm

intertwoven wrote:
I hope the MCIS set includes a bunch of the full "Pastichio Medley" songs.
I'm pretty sure we can bank on that.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#6 Post by Hokahey » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Is it weird I hate this stuff? It makes me sad to look bad on something so beautiful. Like an old relationship that ended before you wanted it to. Something so amazing and life changing for me as a teenager. I guess I just don't want to look back at a deluxe version of what used to be. It's hard enough sometimes for me to listen to an album that used to mean the world to me when that band has gone to shit. I'm really fucking sentimental when it comes to music. This just depresses me. "Look, look! Look at how amazing it WAS! Now it's all shit!"

jptm

#7 Post by jptm » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:00 pm

...especially when any $$$ that comes from this will go to Billy's new wrestling company... :sad:

Tyler Durden

#8 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:02 pm

hokahey wrote:Is it weird I hate this stuff? It makes me sad to look bad on something so beautiful. Like an old relationship that ended before you wanted it to. Something so amazing and life changing for me as a teenager. I guess I just don't want to look back at a deluxe version of what used to be. It's hard enough sometimes for me to listen to an album that used to mean the world to me when that band has gone to shit. I'm really fucking sentimental when it comes to music. This just depresses me. "Look, look! Look at how amazing it WAS! Now it's all shit!"
Actually, I am a LOT the same way (hence my MANY anti-Jane's/Perry posts over the years); and I partly feel that way here. But what happens with the large majority of these artists is inevitable...unless they breakup in their prime and NEVER reunite, die, or in the VERY few cases, never end up sucking, it's a reality that us die hard music fans have to come to terms with to some degree. Even a lot of the most revered artists have a legacy that has duds or rough patches (or rough decades, haha).

I'd rather have a reissue instead of no reissue; and I'd rather have a cool reissue (like these) instead of a poorly done reissue. Billy Corgan may have lost the plot, but when he was firing on all cylinders, he really shined. He was very prolific over a relatively short period of time; there's a lot of stuff from the 90s that fans haven't heard yet but probably will get to eventually.

As an analogy, I'll use George Lucas. I'd rather have Lucas release a DVD/Bluray of the original versions of the original Star Wars trilogy instead of doing nothing (or worse--more new shit movies). And if he was going to do this sort of thing, I'd want as much material and every bell and whistle relating to those original films as possible.

So I say, good on Billy. :thumb:

LJF

#9 Post by LJF » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:46 pm

I was just listening to Gish last week on my ride to work and I fucking love that CD. I hadn't listened to it straight thru in a while, so it was great to hear it & not be bothered by anyone.

I've gotten into the habit of listening to my ipod on random, so I don't tend to listen to a full cd. I need to get back to listening to a cd all the way thru it is a much better way to do it.

Tyler Durden

#10 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Jane's Addiction...heritage act. :lol:

JOEinPHX

#11 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:11 pm

waiting on the Adore and Machina reissues. Those albums seemed to have been most important to me.

Juana

#12 Post by Juana » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Adore is such a great album. Although looking into getting the Siamese Dream reissue.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#13 Post by Hokahey » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:04 pm

LJF wrote:I was just listening to Gish last week on my ride to work and I fucking love that CD. I hadn't listened to it straight thru in a while, so it was great to hear it & not be bothered by anyone.

I've gotten into the habit of listening to my ipod on random, so I don't tend to listen to a full cd. I need to get back to listening to a cd all the way thru it is a much better way to do it.
And she knows, and she knows...

:heart:

cabangbangq

#14 Post by cabangbangq » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:19 pm

hokahey wrote:
LJF wrote:I was just listening to Gish last week on my ride to work and I fucking love that CD. I hadn't listened to it straight thru in a while, so it was great to hear it & not be bothered by anyone.

And she knows, and she knows...

:heart:
This song sounds so much like it can be a Jane's song. This song made me fall in love with the Pumpkins

Tyler Durden

#15 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:05 am

Holy shit. These sets are fucking awesome! This is how you reissue your music. A lot of other bands from the same era need to get a clue and do this sort of thing. The DVDs alone are worth the money! :heart:

Pillar Girl

Billy Corgan talks Gish and SD Reissues

#16 Post by Pillar Girl » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:18 pm

not sure if a few of our SP fans were aware of the reissues out, nice to hear a different take on soma from the SD release.
BC posted a nice video talking about the old days, and playing some old classics as well :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhW_HZpScg0

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/reissues

kv

Re: Billy Corgan talks Gish and SD Reissues

#17 Post by kv » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:57 pm

not sure if you are aware of the art section...viewtopic.php?f=14&t=625

Pillar Girl

#18 Post by Pillar Girl » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:41 am

ah must have missed that post, well at least the vid i posted is new haha :)

kv

#19 Post by kv » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:47 am

yep yep

Hokahey
Site Admin

#20 Post by Hokahey » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:09 pm

Been listening to a lot of Siamese Dream lately. What an absolute masterpiece of an album. My favorite song was always Mayonnaise, but for some reason Hummer has been blowing my mind in ways it never did before. I always liked it, but my god. It's just a brilliant, brilliant song. Epic in ways only the classic Jane's epics could exceed. There was something in the air between 89-94. Just so many amazing albums, and so many artists at their creative peaks.

Life's a bummer
When you're a hummer
Life's a drag

Tyler Durden

#21 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:28 pm

hokahey wrote:Been listening to a lot of Siamese Dream lately. What an absolute masterpiece of an album. My favorite song was always Mayonnaise, but for some reason Hummer has been blowing my mind in ways it never did before. I always liked it, but my god. It's just a brilliant, brilliant song. Epic in ways only the classic Jane's epics could exceed. There was something in the air between 89-94. Just so many amazing albums, and so many artists at their creative peaks.

Life's a bummer
When you're a hummer
Life's a drag
Totally agree regarding that era in music.

Mayonaise and Hummer have always been my favourites from that album.

cabangbangq

#22 Post by cabangbangq » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:26 pm

hokahey wrote:Been listening to a lot of Siamese Dream lately. What an absolute masterpiece of an album. My favorite song was always Mayonnaise, but for some reason Hummer has been blowing my mind in ways it never did before. I always liked it, but my god. It's just a brilliant, brilliant song. Epic in ways only the classic Jane's epics could exceed. There was something in the air between 89-94. Just so many amazing albums, and so many artists at their creative peaks.

Life's a bummer
When you're a hummer
Life's a drag
The end of Hummer totally reminds me of the slow middle section of Big Sur. Hummer is definitely my favorite on Siamese Dream, it just floats and hits and fades and has this incredible epicness.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#23 Post by Hokahey » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:17 am

cabangbangq wrote:The end of Hummer totally reminds me of the slow middle section of Big Sur.
:yikes:

Whoa...

Tyler Durden

#24 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:19 pm

New album June 19th.

Oceania

"Quasar"
"Panopticon"
"The Celestials"
"Violet Rays"
"My Love Is Winter"