Mar 2 - Albany, NY at The Palace Theatre

Tour dates, set lists, show reviews
Leto

Mar 2 - Albany, NY at The Palace Theatre

#1 Post by Leto » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Timesunion.com review
http://blog.timesunion.com/localarts/ja ... 012/21995/

Anyone got a setlist yet? I heard they played Broken People as well as Chip Away(although I think this article mistook it for Trip Away). I gotta give em credit where credits due. Cheers to the band for changing it up more than usual. Here's to hoping for increasingly more dynamic setlists. :aoa:
Last edited by Leto on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leto

Re: Mar 2 - Albany, NY at The Palace Theatre

#2 Post by Leto » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:11 pm

I Would For You

Waiting for him to accidentally say I would for you Case. :bigrin:

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Leto wrote:Timesunion.com review
http://blog.timesunion.com/localarts/ja ... 012/21995/

Anyone got a setlist yet? I heard they played Broken People as well as Chip Away(although I think this article mistook it for Trip Away). I gotta give em credit where credits due. Cheers to the band for changing it up more than usual. Here's to hoping for increasingly more dynamic setlists. :aoa:
there seems to be only a few songs that are interchangeable. last night there was no classic girl. i guess with the sideshow/dancing/videos that happen during the show they have to stick to a general order.

Leto

#4 Post by Leto » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:31 pm

creep wrote:
there seems to be only a few songs that are interchangeable. last night there was no classic girl. i guess with the sideshow/dancing/videos that happen during the show they have to stick to a general order.
Yeah :no: . (as I kick the dirt and shuffle away defeatedly... :sulk: then :sui: or :sonny:)

farrellgirl99

#5 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Really hope they keep both Classic Girl and I Would For You for the show tomorrow night. i'm gonna be pissed if we get Broken People, that song is so underdeveloped. It's a shame they won't rotate ANR and BCS

chaos

#6 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:48 pm

One of the low lights was without a doubt the topless woman in the front row that was overly eager to join the band’s experience, much to nearly every one’s chagrin (especially Perkins whom she decided to maul as the band graciously big farewell to fans).

:lol:

Leto

#7 Post by Leto » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:07 am

chaos wrote:
One of the low lights was without a doubt the topless woman in the front row that was overly eager to join the band’s experience, much to nearly every one’s chagrin (especially Perkins whom she decided to maul as the band graciously big farewell to fans).

Watch this Chip Away vid from the show
"Boobies to the left" :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#8 Post by creep » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:12 am

Leto wrote:
chaos wrote:

Watch this Chip Away vid from the show
"Boobies to the left" :lol:
he was standing by an annoying "singing guy" while filming. i really hate those people.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:21 pm

Thats the worst anmoying singing guy ever. "We both have dirty faceeeees."

chaos

#10 Post by chaos » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:22 pm

http://www.nippertown.com/2012/03/09/li ... atre-3212/
Review by Kirsten Ferguson
Photographs by Andrzej Pilarczyk
Additional photographs by Kirsten Ferguson. Click here http://www.flickr.com/photos/75915692@N ... 543638557/to see more of her photos from this show.

“Are you ready to come yet?” Perry Farrell asked the sold-out Palace Theatre crowd as a prelude to the night’s final Jane’s Addiction song – a thundering version of “Ocean Size.” After Farrell stalked the stage in his insanely limber-kneed style, dipping close to the audience so they could paw at him, the singer lifted his beater-tee, flashed the crowd his bare chest and pointedly lit a “post-coital” cigarette.

If the Palace show was paced for build-up-and-release, then the end – which came after a set full of crowd pleasers from the band’s first two albums, “Nothing’s Shocking” and “Ritual de lo Habitual” – hadn’t felt quite like satiation. The crowd, adoring to the end, probably would have preferred to drag things out much longer.

Before embarking on this tour of theater-sized venues for Jane’s Addiction’s latest album, “The Great Escape Artist” – their first since reuniting in 2008 after several years apart – Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro, drummer Stephen Perkins and bassist Chris Chaney promised an “orgy of musical and visual delights.”

There was plenty of visual weirdness – not quite connected to any narrative, but still cool to look at – including the two dancers (including Farrell’s wife Etty) who started the night on a trapeze bar high above the stage in immensely long wedding dresses, as well as a mystery figure who appeared with a doll and a noose just prior to a mid-show acoustic set featuring the band’s steel-drum powered ballad, “Jane Says.”

The intimate Palace setting suited the band well. Although Farrell sounded hoarse – he admitted onstage that he’d lost his voice – he made up for it by being an explosive and unpredictable frontman, who spent much of the show working the front rows and slapping hands like a rock and roll politician. A more serious Navarro straddled the stage like a tattooed, nipple-ringed guitarist/love-boy, dodging women trying to grab his legs.

“So this is the state capitol of New York? I’ve never been here,” Farrell said before an explosive version of “Been Caught Stealing,” the band’s biggest hit. He may not remember, and yeah, technically they weren’t in Albany, but there’s a good chance many people in the crowd attended one or both of Jane’s Addiction’s prior area appearances: their 1991 show at the RPI Fieldhouse in Troy or Farrell’s inaugural Lollapalooza at SPAC that same year.

The churning “Ted, Just Admit It” – with its reverberating “sex is violent” refrain – was one of the highlights of the set. And then Farrell came out chugging a bottle of wine during the plaintive “Broken People” – one of the best songs from “The Great Escape Artist” – before passing the bottle among the crowd. (Did I really drink from that? There must have been at least 30 mouths on the thing.)

“Fuck the Black Keys,” someone in the crowd yelled before “Sealed with Thorns,” a song during the enjoyable, hard-working opening set by Belgian rockers Black Box Revelation, who share the two-piece guitar/drums set-up and fuzzy blues-rock leanings with the better known American garage rock band.

SECOND OPINIONS:
Andrew Hill’s photographs http://www.stateofmindmusic.com/entry/1 ... ddiction-/at State of Mind
Pete Mason’s review http://upstatelive.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... albany-ny/at Upstate Live
Jeremy D. Goodwin’s review http://metroland.net/2012/03/08/janes-addiction/ and Martin Benjamin’s photographs http://metroland.net/wp-content/uploads ... ion_MB.jpgMetroland
Sarah Foss’ review http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/fos ... 0305_foss/at Foss Forward
Shannon Fromma’s review at The Times Union
Excerpt from Brian McElhiney’s review at The Daily Gazette: Highlights included the snaking bass grooves of ‘Been Caught Stealing’ and the percussive grooves on ‘Ain’t No Right.’ Throughout, Farrell was the primary focus, whether he was leaning down to high-five fans in the first row, dancing with two female models who made appearances throughout the night or throwing his head back and really digging into the lyrics. Navarro was the other pillar of showmanship, lighting into snarling noise solos while the rhythm section held down the music’s fat grooves. Best of all was set centerpiece ‘Sex is Violent,’ featuring a near-recreation of the cover of the band’s 1990 classic ‘Ritual de lo Habitual.’ The band turned the song into another groove-fest, stretching out as the audience chanted along.”

JANE’S ADDICTION SET LIST
Underground
Just Because
Mountain Song
Been Caught Stealing
Ain’t No Right
Ted, Just Admit It
Broken People
I Would for You
Jane Says
Chip Away
End to the Lies