Killing Joke

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Killing Joke

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:13 pm

New album is done and will be released in April. At the beginning of March just before the Uk tour, they will release a vinyl and digital download EP which will include several new tracks including at least one non-album track. April and May they'll be touring throughout Europe. It's still the original lineup and perhaps even better, they have reunited with Mike Coles (he did all their early 80's graphics) doing visuals for presumably both the new album art and tour as well.

A band that's the model for not getting shitty or wimpy as they grow older.

mockbee

Re: Killing Joke

#2 Post by mockbee » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:01 pm

:banana:

Yeah, I can't think of not just an artist but a BAND where there is a good argument their best album was released 30 years after the debut.

Whatever happened to the The Death and Resurrection Show movie that was supposed to be released?

I really hope they can make it back to the States again soon.

Pandemonium

#3 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:05 pm

mockbee wrote::banana:

Yeah, I can't think of not just an artist but a BAND where there is a good argument their best album was released 30 years after the debut.

Whatever happened to the The Death and Resurrection Show movie that was supposed to be released?

I really hope they can make it back to the States again soon.
At this point, I'd be very happily surprised if they do another US tour again. The last one in 2010 was such a mess the way it was booked and (non) promoted and the inappropriately sized venues (some too small, some too big). I guess they lost money on it as well.

As for the movie, it's done and has been for some time. They just need to hook up with the right distributor. The filmmakers really don't want to go the direct-to-video route if they can help it.

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:06 am

The new album:

New song:

Have to honestly say not too thrilled with "Rapture." It sounds like it was recorded in a racquetball court.

Pandemonium

#5 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Someone just posted this out-take from the '92 Pandemonium album that's never been heard before. Damn cool song, imo:

mockbee

#6 Post by mockbee » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:52 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
mockbee wrote:Image
By far my favorite Killing Joke album and sits way up among my all-time favorite albums. It was such a great surprise picking it up at Amoeba Records when it came out, listening to it on the drive back home and realizing it was an instant classic. BTW, this track should have been on the album (it's on the Japanese import and a B-side to the single):

(moved for discussion)

I love the Zennon track. Also don't mind the new track, though I am hoping further tracks have more depth and interest.

I agree that KJ2003, or Absolute Dissent are a couple of my favorite albums. I'm amazed that so much danger, aggression and depth can be found so late in their career.

I need to find some good live recordings, do you have any recommendations?

Pandemonium

#7 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:28 am

mockbee wrote:I need to find some good live recordings, do you have any recommendations?
They've documented most of their tours either on cd or dvd (or both) since they reformed in '03. Of all that, the one I most highly recommend is the 4 cd box set called "Killing Joke - The Gathering 2008" which is two complete shows from a two night stand where they played most of their first two albums in their entirety one night and much of "Pandemonium" the 2nd night. The band is in top form.

After that, in descending order I'd recommend:

KILLING JOKE - LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 2010 (3 cd set)
KILLING JOKE XXV GATHERING (live 2005 - available separately on both cd and dvd)
HA! LIVE - (live 6 song EP from 1982 +3 bonus studio b-sides)
KILLING JOKE - IN REQUIEM (live 2003 - cd and dvd combo)
KILLING JOKE BOOTLEG ARCHIVES - Set 1 & 2 - (6 shows taken from bootleg vinyl and mastered to cd in various sound quality, the 2nd set is much better than the 1st set)
LOVE LIKE BLOOD aka NO WAY OUT BUT FORWARD GO (mediocre '85 festival show, cd and cd video depending on what version you get)

They also have an upcoming live album which sports an almost identical setlist to the 2010 Hammersmith show called "Down By The River" available to download and eventually buy as a cd/dvd/vinyl release:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/killingjoke/updates

As for bootlegs, I have a few, mostly from the '03 tour, but most are fair to mediocre audience quality recordings and are rendered obsolete by official releases from their respective tours. I have a couple rare ones from the Hosannas tour in '06 but the band are really not at the top of their game on either show.

mockbee

#8 Post by mockbee » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:13 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Just ordered 'Killing Joke The Gathering 2008.' :bday:

Pandemonium

#9 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Killing Joke started their UK tour in advance of the new album coming out in April. Surprisingly, they've played a pretty bold setlist, leaving out almost all of their well-known classics, dropping in a few long-unplayed deep cuts and concentrating mostly on tracks from the new album and the last one:

1 European Super State
2 Sun Goes Down
3 In Cythera (new)
4 Fema Camp (new)
5 Unspeakable
6 Rapture (new)
7 Bloodsport (Tension played the first night)
8 Pole Shift (new)
9 Chop Chop
10 Primobile (new)
11 Depthcharge
12 Asteroid
13 The Great Cull
14 Corporate Elect (new)
15 The Wait
16 Pssyche
encore
17 This World Hell
18 Requiem

Kind of hard to tell how good the new songs are, Jaz is apparently suffering from a cold and sounds pretty weak on vox in these clips:

Pandemonium

#10 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:27 pm

I posted the new single on my YouTube account. Really different sound than their last few albums:

mockbee

#11 Post by mockbee » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Pandemonium wrote:I posted the new single on my YouTube account. Really different sound than their last few albums:

blocked :sad:

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:32 pm

Sorry about that. For some strange reason, YouTube blocked in in certain countries. Download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?c5f69u6cu6dc22i

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:34 am

Killing Joke will support The Cult and Mission UK on a late Summer arena tour of the UK:

Newcastle Metro Radio Arena 11th Sept
Sheffield Motorpoint Arena 12th Sept
Manchester Arena 14th Sept
Birmingham LG Arena 15th Sept
London Wembley Arena 16th Sept

creep
Site Admin

#14 Post by creep » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Pandemonium wrote: arena tour
really...?? maybe the cult are much more popular over there. i used to like the mission uk...

Pandemonium

#15 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:11 pm

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote: arena tour
really...?? maybe the cult are much more popular over there. i used to like the mission uk...
From what I understand, yeah, they are still fairly popular in the UK and much of Europe more so than in the US but big enough to still be an arena draw at this point in their career? I dunno.

All three bands have a bit of intertwining history from what I recall. Killing Joke's bass player/producer Youth produced singles for the Mission UK and the '07 album by The Cult. And I'm pretty sure the bassist and drummer for the Mission UK joined The Cult for an album and tour in '94 and again briefly for some live dates in '02. The only Mission UK album I owned (I can't remember the name atm) was the one produced by John Paul Johns that had their biggest single on it.

If they brought this tour to the US, I'd check it out as long as it wasn't playing anything bigger'n large theaters or small outdoor sheds like The Greek in LA. I am very skeptical Killing Joke will ever play the US again alone after the mess the last North American tour turned out to be.

Pandemonium

#16 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Pandemonium

#17 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:53 pm

The new album has leaked. Another great album. Someone has uploaded it as a 320 MP3 compressed as a RAR file:

http://www.2shared.com/file/XyfsjTks/Ki ... 2012_.html

mockbee

#18 Post by mockbee » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Pandemonium wrote:The new album has leaked. Another great album. Someone has uploaded it as a 320 MP3 compressed as a RAR file:

Awesome! Thanks! :rockon:

I can tell this is going to be good, so far......

mockbee

#19 Post by mockbee » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:09 pm

mockbee wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:The new album has leaked. Another great album. Someone has uploaded it as a 320 MP3 compressed as a RAR file:

Awesome! Thanks! :rockon:

I can tell this is going to be good, so far......
:worship:

USA!.... USA!.... USA!...............they've done more nonsensical things in the past. :noclue:... :bday:

blackcoffee

#20 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
The only Killing Joke I know is whatever song was popular on the radio back in the mid 80s. Having watched that video I'm compelled to check them out.

creep
Site Admin

#21 Post by creep » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:04 pm

this is the only song i know
'

blackcoffee

#22 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:23 pm

creep wrote:this is the only song i know
'
That's the one.

mockbee

#23 Post by mockbee » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:54 pm

guys..... that's like saying I only know the dog bark song from Janes. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:20 am

mockbee wrote:guys..... that's like saying I only know the dog bark song from Janes. :noclue:
HA!

OK, here's a quick primer of a few of Killing Jokes most well known songs:

The Wait

Follow The Leaders

Love Like Blood

Loose Cannon

You'll Never Get To Me (someone's home made video)

Ghosts Of Ladbroke Grove

mockbee

#25 Post by mockbee » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Review: Killing Joke - MMXII

Another tremendous effort from the English post-punk legends.
By Iann Robinson
April 01, 2012
Writing about Killing Joke has always been problematic for me. As a critic you rarely find yourself in the eye of a storm you can’t deal with. Music comes in, you play it, it resonates or it doesn’t, you critique it and then it’s done. So much of music today is confection, ear candy that comes complete with a spiffy package and usually a scene you can proclaim yourself a part of. It’s easy to review bags of potato chips and cans of soda. Then, rarely, you’ll stand before a monolith, a band that’s music has transcended genre and woven itself within the fabric of consciousness. That’s Killing Joke, a band whose importance cannot be overstated and whose musical contributions are endless. They have a new album. It’s titled MMXII (2012). What the fuck do I do now?
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I can't really pick a favorite track.... I was immediately drawn to Pole Shift and Colony Collapse... but now.......... :noclue: :aoa: :bigrin:

What are your favorites TB?