Dexter

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Pandemonium

Dexter

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Anyone still watching? Not really digging this season for the obvious reason (won't do spoilers... yet).

Essence_Smith

Re: Dexter

#2 Post by Essence_Smith » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:26 pm

My wife has been on a marathon catching all of this season as she's missed pretty much all of it...I never got into it, but the bits I've seen are pretty cool...my department at work does a LOT of work for Dexter so I've gotten to see a lot of the ad campaign and merch they're doing for it...all cool stuff...

blackula

#3 Post by blackula » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:28 pm

I still watch. This season is not the strongest, but I'm still enjoying it. I don't want to spoil anything, but some storylines are working better this season than others.

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:44 pm

blackula wrote:I still watch. This season is not the strongest, but I'm still enjoying it. I don't want to spoil anything, but some storylines are working better this season than others.
Agreed. I understand next season will be the final season and the producers already have the ending worked out.

Juana

#5 Post by Juana » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:59 pm

I have to catch up on Season 6 and then when I do I will catch up on this season. Got so behind with everything with the cancer and what not

farrellgirl99

#6 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:40 am

Season six was the worst piece of shit ever.

I think this season is pretty strong actually; the best since season 4. I'm just happy it has returned to form for the most part.

bman

#7 Post by bman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:50 pm

I think its gone down hill since season 1. Deb knowing has ruined everything.

Lokus

#8 Post by Lokus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:21 pm

I'm really liking this season because the morality of what he does is finally being thoroughly questioned and examined. Before, the premise of "he's a serial killer who only kills bad people, so that's OK" was usually left unquestioned.

All throughout the previous seasons, I've always said to myself "He's fundamentally a bad guy", whereas the show has set him up to be a likeable guy so that you end up rooting for him, which is unprincipled from the viewer's perspective, IMHO. I don't think what he does is right, for the same reason I oppose the death penalty: it's hypocritical.

I've actually said all along, I hope the show ends with him getting what he deserves (Justice).

blackula

#9 Post by blackula » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
blackula wrote:I still watch. This season is not the strongest, but I'm still enjoying it. I don't want to spoil anything, but some storylines are working better this season than others.
Agreed. I understand next season will be the final season and the producers already have the ending worked out.
I recently read that too. I'm glad. I still like the show but nothing is worse than when a show over stays it's life span. What's up with Trinity's kid killing people and Dexter taking a road trip to see him? That was last season, right? I really hope that isn't left on the back burner and plays into the final season.

farrellgirl99

#10 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:02 pm

i cant believe the writers brought up the incest story line again :banghead:

dont they realize that everything from last season should never be mentioned again? besides that (and his stupid kids showing up again) im enjoying this season a lot.

Pandemonium

#11 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:57 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:i cant believe the writers brought up the incest story line again :banghead:

dont they realize that everything from last season should never be mentioned again? besides that (and his stupid kids showing up again) im enjoying this season a lot.
I really think this weeks episode was easily among top 3 worst eps of this series. They are really pushing a lot of the main characters into really stupid corners. I wouldn't be surprised by late next season most of Miami Metro will know who Dexter is and what he does, yet they'll all still keep his secret while begging him to kill other pain in the ass criminals (or each other). I can see it now - Quinn asking Dexter to kill the strip club owner, Masuka begs him to kill a hooker that gave him an STD and Batista offering free meals at his new restaurant if Dexter kills a lousy tipper.... Meanwhile, Dexter meets and starts a new relationship with yet another female serial killer who understands him - he needs a bus to carry around all his "dark passengers." It's actually become more stupid than True Blood.

...fuck I have shitty taste in tv shows.

Juana

#12 Post by Juana » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:14 pm

It's mindless entertainment giving more than a shit than that no wonder you're all getting disappointed...

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Juana wrote:It's mindless entertainment giving more than a shit than that no wonder you're all getting disappointed...
I think you're reading a bit too deeply into my comments. It's like other initially decent series that started to go down the crapper like X-Files and Sopranos. As a viewer, you keep hoping things will improve (in the case of Sopranos, it did improve over the last season to a degree). I'd probably stopped watching over last season, but this is one of the very few shows both my wife and I watch together so at this point I'm ... er, stuck with it.

Juana

#14 Post by Juana » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Juana wrote:It's mindless entertainment giving more than a shit than that no wonder you're all getting disappointed...
I think you're reading a bit too deeply into my comments. It's like other initially decent series that started to go down the crapper like X-Files and Sopranos. As a viewer, you keep hoping things will improve (in the case of Sopranos, it did improve over the last season to a degree). I'd probably stopped watching over last season, but this is one of the very few shows both my wife and I watch together so at this point I'm ... er, stuck with it.
LOL I wasn't commenting towards you its just in general, in all the TV threads there is always the disappointment as the series goes on

Pandemonium

#15 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:52 pm

Juana wrote:LOL I wasn't commenting towards you its just in general, in all the TV threads there is always the disappointment as the series goes on
Which brings up an interesting question...

What tv series went out on a relative high note without overstaying their welcome? Seinfeld? M.A.S.H.? Star Trek Next Generation? Sopranos?

Juana

#16 Post by Juana » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:02 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Juana wrote:LOL I wasn't commenting towards you its just in general, in all the TV threads there is always the disappointment as the series goes on
Which brings up an interesting question...

What tv series went out on a relative high note without overstaying their welcome? Seinfeld? M.A.S.H.? Star Trek Next Generation? Sopranos?
For me there are a bunch but I just view it as mindless entertainment but I can say without a doubt there are two I put above all others:

The Wire/Sopranos (tied)
The Shield

chaos

#17 Post by chaos » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Showtime has all of the seasons posted On Demand and I caught up on all of the episodes, so I was ready for tonight's season finale (and now I have my life back - talk about an addicting series :lol: ).

Thoughts on the finale? Speculations on the series finale next year? After tonight's episode the creator made some brief comments stating that things are evolving and they wanted to emphasize that Dexter isn't a "superhero." Nevertheless, I hope Dexter eludes the authorities, but I have a feeling things will not end well for him (be it prison or murder). I will be so disappointed if they end the series with Dexter and Deb end up running away together. Ugh! I don't think that will happen though.

Pandemonium

#18 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:14 pm

chaos wrote:Showtime has all of the seasons posted On Demand and I caught up on all of the episodes, so I was ready for tonight's season finale (and now I have my life back - talk about an addicting series :lol: ).

Thoughts on the finale? Speculations on the series finale next year? After tonight's episode the creator made some brief comments stating that things are evolving and they wanted to emphasize that Dexter isn't a "superhero." Nevertheless, I hope Dexter eludes the authorities, but I have a feeling things will not end well for him (be it prison or murder). I will be so disappointed if they end the series with Dexter and Deb end up running away together. Ugh! I don't think that will happen though.
I have grown to dislike how this series takes the "holy shit, he's fucked now" approach painting Dexter (and now Deb) into impossible corners and he somehow manages to get out of it. In the beginning, Dexter was this somewhat sympathetic Punisher-lite good guy killer, but the last couple seasons he's just become unlikeable on any level along with virtually the entire cast. Everyone in Miami Metro is corrupt to some degree and this season has more or less been about the complete corruption of Debra, the one character who seemed to be the "moral" center of the show. The one major character who appears to have come out relatively unscathed so far did so by quitting and retiring.

I really don't see any logical way for the series to end without Dexter and his sister dead, possibly by each others hand.

JOEinPHX

#19 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:46 am

I see Dexter dying. Gunned down. Cut up. Doesn't matter how. But the final scene will be Harrison sitting in his father's blood, destined to take after him and his uncle Brian.

chaos

#20 Post by chaos » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:15 am

Deb will end up dead (either by her own hand or Dexter's). Dexter's end will probably be more ambiguous (i.e. goes missing out on his boat).

chaos

#21 Post by chaos » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:18 am

Pandemonium wrote: but the last couple seasons he's just become unlikeable on any level along with virtually the entire cast.

I like and dislike the flawed, complicated characters.

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:22 pm

Yet again I disagree with Pandemonium about art, for some reason... (I find this intrinsically interesting... I don't think there's a wrong answer here, exactly...)

I think the past couple of seasons have developed the characters in a way that seems far more realistic, or if not realistic, at least interesting. I didn't like the characters of Dexter and Deborah originally because they both seemed "unreal".

The actors have talked about how weird it is for people to come up to them and say how much they identify with Dexter... uh... that's probably bad... Or it means that the actor has put too much of himself into the character and not enough serial killer. The directors have talked about this season really taking Dexter all the way toward the serial killer that he always has been. It's understandable that they waited this long, since as they noted at the outset, no one would watch a show about a straight up evil unlikable inhuman serial killer. As Pandemonium notices... now that they've started pushing him along that path... with Harry's Code ceasing to guide every single thing he does... he's become quite literally less "likable"... in the words of the creators, "less of a superhero". But that's great. It makes the show interesting again, imho. There were a couple of middle seasons that just seemed like rehashes of the same pattern as previous seasons. This season has been one of my favourites.

farrellgirl99

#23 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:16 pm

i really enjoyed this season. would agree it was one of the better ones definitely. and the rebound it needed after the atrocity of season six.

i thought it was good because it made me like deb. i always hated her but this season i began to like her. i still like dexter too and am rooting for him, but i think he has to get caught or die to make the show respectable.

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Yet again I disagree with Pandemonium about art, for some reason... (I find this intrinsically interesting... I don't think there's a wrong answer here, exactly...)

I think the past couple of seasons have developed the characters in a way that seems far more realistic, or if not realistic, at least interesting. I didn't like the characters of Dexter and Deborah originally because they both seemed "unreal".

The actors have talked about how weird it is for people to come up to them and say how much they identify with Dexter... uh... that's probably bad... Or it means that the actor has put too much of himself into the character and not enough serial killer. The directors have talked about this season really taking Dexter all the way toward the serial killer that he always has been. It's understandable that they waited this long, since as they noted at the outset, no one would watch a show about a straight up evil unlikable inhuman serial killer. As Pandemonium notices... now that they've started pushing him along that path... with Harry's Code ceasing to guide every single thing he does... he's become quite literally less "likable"... in the words of the creators, "less of a superhero". But that's great. It makes the show interesting again, imho. There were a couple of middle seasons that just seemed like rehashes of the same pattern as previous seasons. This season has been one of my favourites.
I'd probably agree with you more if the events of the last couple seasons didn't routinely stretch credibility to wtf? levels even with a show like this. The other point is that just about all the other main characters are fatally flawed and have committed serious crimes themselves. As of the end of this season, the viewer is left with no major character to totally empathize with. Think about it, the most sympathetic character this season was the Russian mob boss Isaak.

I mean, the one major character who got killed last night (obnoxious though she was) was probably the least tainted character left and Dexter had pretty much reduced her to a psychotic joke with her peers in the Dept before she was rather unceremoniously shot slumped and begging in a storage container.

I do agree with farrellgirl99 that this season has been overall better than last season. And I'm still hooked enough to see it through next season, but I'm glad that'll be it.

Hype

#25 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm still trying to figure out why you want a character to empathize with.