Drums

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
SR

Drums

#1 Post by SR » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:31 am

Went to the drumoff last night at Club Nokia.....um, scary good stuff. It really was much more a concert than a comp, and the unstated theme was Jazz Rock/R&B. Blackwell, from Prince, made my night. Just sick, beautiful work.....

clickie

Re: Drums

#2 Post by clickie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:23 pm

an oldie but a goodie.

SR

#3 Post by SR » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:22 am

clickie wrote:an oldie but a goodie.

Oh fuck.....never seen that. Sublime

tvrec

#4 Post by tvrec » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Wasn't this thing hosted by Perk? Anything details on that front?

S&M

#5 Post by S&M » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:12 pm

SR wrote:

Oh fuck.....never seen that.
If Janes is going to pound out one more immigrant song for old time'z sake they need to build a song around that stuff....that driving groove..... it's always sweeping with thrashing oars!!!...<3....makes me wanna rape and pillage ....Valhalla I am cumming :wink:

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Perk's drumming on that song reminds me of:

Larry B.

#7 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:32 pm

Here's my brief breakdown of Perkins' drum patterns:

No One's Leaving chorus = Ted final section = Three Days guitar solo (slowed down) = Price I Pay bridge chorus-to-verse (right after "Always the price I pay...") = Grease The System climax (slowed down) = The Apple & The Seed fast section (around 2:24)

Up The Beach 'verse' = Summertime Rolls loud section ("she sings a song and I listen...")

Had A Dad verse = Just Because verse = Justine

Had A Dad chorus ("If you see my dad...) -> Pretty much the same as Wrong Girl bridge ("she's like a mother eagle...")

Standing In The Shower verse = Been Caught Stealing verse = Suffer Some verse (sped up)

Idiots Rule verse = Superhero verse = Looped & Faded

Stop verse -> Pretty similar to Obvious verse (slowed down)

Three Days bridge (toms-based section, "True hunting's over...") = Ted bridge (toms-based section, whispered "Sex is violent...") = True Nature bridge

Classic Girl chorus (live, Relapse) = Everybody's Friend

Strays verse -> Pretty similar to Cursed Female verse

Irresistible Force chorus -> Pretty much the same as Dogs Rule The Night verse

Mind-numbingly boring and lazy drumming: True Nature (pretty much everything), Strays guitar solo, The Riches, Curiosity Kills, Irresistible Force bridge, I'll Hit You Back, Twisted Tales, Splash a Little Water on It, Broken People (U2's Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own cover)

Really cool and superbly creative and one-of-a-kind drumming: almost everything from XXX (Trip Away, Whores, Pigs in Zen and 1%,) Ted and Mountain Song.

But to me, the most beautiful patterns he created are in what's probably their most beautiful song: Then She Did...

Larry B.

#8 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:12 pm

Also, Jane's has abused of a fairly common accent pattern, especially during the most recent years. For those who can read music, this is the accent pattern:

For those who can't read it, it's basically the accents you can hear in the chorus of Ain't No Right. Like, 'taaaa-taaaa-ta, taaaa-taaaa-ta', etc.

The first item of my previous post, which states the similarity between sections of No One's Leaving, Ted, Three Days, Price I Pay, Grease The System and The Apple & The Seed, is a proof of the stunning repetition (and apparent predilection) of this accent pattern in Perk's snare drumming. In the following items, the pattern is actually encouraged by the band as a whole, either by very obvious accents or more subtle clues. In some cases, this accent pattern flows throughout almost the entire song. Although it might be obvious, I'd like to point out that the tempo of the pattern will very as per the tempo of each song:

My Time verse; Trip Away end of chorus ("Way out... way out...") and bridge; No One's Leaving chorus; Ain't No Right chorus; Ted final section; Classic Girl verse; Kettle Whistle verse; Slow Divers; True Nature; Price I Pay (subtle during the verse, blatantly obvious in the chorus and even more obvious during the bridge chorus-to-verse); Everybody's Friend; To Match The Sun; Underground; End To The Lies; Curiosity Kills; Irresistible Force; I'll Hit You Back; Twisted Tales; most of Ultimate Reason; Splash a Little Water on It; and Broken People.

In summation, I've just discovered/realized that only one out of 10 songs in JA's latest album has a different accent key... and it's Words Right Out of My Mouth.

Let's have a breakdown of this accent pattern's presence per album, chronologically and excluding KW for chronological reasons:

* XXX: 2/10 (20%)
* NS: 1/11 (9%)
* RdlH: 3/9 (33%)
* Strays: 4/11 (36%)
* TGEA: 9/19 (90%)

i.e.: they seem to have ran out of rhythmic ideas and/or the guy in charge is not doing his job.

Bandit72

#9 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 am

Larry, on your mind-numbingly boring and lazy drumming I would only disagree with you for Curiosiy Kills. I think the way he put this together made it the best drum track on the album. Apart from the bridge section, "They said look away, look away..." part but I guess he has to go with the change in the song.

I still think Ritual is his greatest work, even though I fucking love NS and XXX. I also think Three Days is better live as there are no over dubs for the drumming for the massive tom fest half way through the song. No One's Leaving is genius and the work with his right hand is incredible.

SR

#10 Post by SR » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 am

tvrec wrote:Wasn't this thing hosted by Perk? Anything details on that front?
Yes, he was. He didn't perform....straight mc.

SR

#11 Post by SR » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:05 am

Come to think of it, he did mention while introducing mutemath that they had opened for janes a couple of times this last year. Mm were great, btw.

nausearockpig

#12 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:41 am

SR wrote:

Oh fuck.....never seen that. Sublime
That was great. The way the drumming took the focus with the bass audible but not overpowering & the vox out there in the distance was super cool. Kinda like a reverse band set-up.

I'd love to hear full instrumental versions of xxx, ns & rdlh.

SR

#13 Post by SR » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:34 pm

Been a hack for years, but got invited to practice some original stuff today in a studio with a bassist and geetar. It was a blast I don't suck as much as I thought I did. First time playing with other musicians. :rockon:

Rinse and repeat for sure. :agree:

nausearockpig

#14 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:20 pm

SR wrote:Been a hack for years, but got invited to practice some original stuff today in a studio with a bassist and geetar. It was a blast I don't suck as much as I thought I did. First time playing with other musicians. :rockon:

Rinse and repeat for sure. :agree:
Like.

guysmiley

#15 Post by guysmiley » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:28 am

I've been playing hardcore for the last 6 months. I've come along way at teaching myself drums. I'm having a blast with it. I feel music even more now. The physicality of playing drums is rewarding too. After playing I feel released, like I spent 2 hours at the gym.

SR

#16 Post by SR » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:45 am

:bigrin:

SR

#17 Post by SR » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:15 am

Perk covering The Who. Made me smile.....

Romeo

#18 Post by Romeo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:12 am

Watching Perk play always makes me smile. He is still one of my favorite drummers.

SR

#19 Post by SR » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:34 am

Thomas Pridgen gives lessons? Worth a look.

zdilla

#20 Post by zdilla » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Hey everyone! The drums on "Splash.." are epic!!! :bigrin:

SR

#21 Post by SR » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:48 am