Van Halen

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Artemis

Re: Van Halen

#151 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:07 pm

i'm sure many people tuned in initially to check it out but then quickly changed the station.. :lol:

Pandemonium

#152 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Artemis wrote:i'm sure many people tuned in initially to check it out but then quickly changed the station.. :lol:
Dave's always been a soundbite kinda entertainer, not someone who is any good at long, sustained monologues, much less a several hour radio show. And in the last 10 - 15 years, he's become much more rambling and incoherent. His 10 minute story about raising sheep dogs prefacing "Ice Cream Man" on this year's Van Halen tour was like slow death on stage.

That said, his bio "Crazy From The Heat" is a fairly entertaining read no doubt because he had a good editor.

jptm

#153 Post by jptm » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:34 am

Anyone else catch DLR on the Joe Rogan podcast? It was almost uncomfortable sometimes when Dave would make a 'joke' and no one would laugh... his stories are sometimes compelling, but it was kinda sad. Joe is an alpha-male, and it was obvious that Dave was trying to win him over...

...and then this morning I attempted to listen to Dave's 'radio' show; Extreme Tokyo or some shit.

The worst attempt at radio I've ever heard. It's Dave talking over loud dance music; after each sentence it's repeated in Japanese by a translator... the worst! I couldn't last more than 15 minutes... save your bandwidth and trust me, it's terrible.

kv

#154 Post by kv » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:34 pm

Anyone else catch DLR on the Joe Rogan podcast?

gonna go out on a limb and say no

crater

#155 Post by crater » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:23 pm

kv wrote:
Anyone else catch DLR on the Joe Rogan podcast?

gonna go out on a limb and say no
You lose, because I did.

I thought DLR was funny, but I was listening and not watching the Ustream of the show, so I wasn't able to see if Joe had any real reaction to what DLR was saying. I kind of tuned out towards the end when Joe began talking about MMA, because it was obvious that Dave had no idea what Joe was talking about and the show started to drag when he brought it up.

chaos

#156 Post by chaos » Fri May 24, 2013 8:57 am

http://boingboing.net/2013/05/24/van-ha ... um=twitter

The guitar solo from Van Halen's song "Eruption" played by Tina, who is 14. More than 3 million video views in 3 days. She was taught and filmed by Renaud Louis-Servais, and she's playing a Vigier Excalibur Custom.

Matz

#157 Post by Matz » Fri May 24, 2013 9:16 am

not bad at all, it's not a 100% perfect but pretty close, nice feel..........how the fuck did she get 3 million views in that short amount of time, that's insane

Pandemonium

#158 Post by Pandemonium » Fri May 24, 2013 10:09 am

She should team up with this kid:

kv

#159 Post by kv » Fri May 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Matz wrote:not bad at all, it's not a 100% perfect but pretty close, nice feel..........how the fuck did she get 3 million views in that short amount of time, that's insane
because it's been posted all over the internet a bunch of ites picked it up

creep
Site Admin

#160 Post by creep » Fri May 24, 2013 5:05 pm

kv wrote:
Matz wrote:not bad at all, it's not a 100% perfect but pretty close, nice feel..........how the fuck did she get 3 million views in that short amount of time, that's insane
because it's been posted all over the internet a bunch of ites picked it up
:lol: no way! is that how it happened?

kv

#161 Post by kv » Fri May 24, 2013 5:07 pm

hey he didn't seem to get it lol

Matz

#162 Post by Matz » Fri May 24, 2013 6:25 pm

still don't, wtf's an 'ite'? :scared:

chaos

#163 Post by chaos » Fri May 24, 2013 6:37 pm

He missed a key. He meant site. :lol:

Matz

#164 Post by Matz » Sat May 25, 2013 3:18 am

:lol: ah I see

Artemis

#165 Post by Artemis » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:50 am

I'm putting this here because we don't have a seperate David Lee Roth thread.

I have to say I never liked this song. I always thought this song sounded like something Billy Joel would do. The cross-over to dancey-pop sound that DLR was trying to make didn't work for me. I think it's because I was expecting a Van Halen sound. I wasn't able to listen to Dave's solo material objectively. :noclue:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-le ... end-songs/

Classic rock is about heavy hooks, power chords and tight harmonies. But it’s also about letting loose and enjoying the good times. And there’s no better time for that than Friday evening, when we pick up our paycheck, punch out of work and enjoy a couple days of much-needed rest and relaxation.

This weekend, as we near the paradise of 48 hours away from work, we’re reminded of a time when it looked like David Lee Roth was ready to forge a solid career away from Van Halen, leaving fans to sample a wealth of rock ‘n’ roll riches that included Diamond Dave solo hits like ‘Yankee Rose’ as well as ’80s VH classics such as ‘Best of Both Worlds’ and ‘When It’s Love.’ That moment was unfortunately short-lived, but few could have guessed it in early 1988, when Roth released his second solo outing, ‘Skyscraper,’ just a few months before Van Halen returned with ‘OU812.’

One of 1988′s more hotly anticipated rock records, ‘Skyscraper’ followed Roth’s full-length solo debut, 1985′s double-platinum ‘Eat ‘Em and Smile.’ And given that the new set of songs reunited the killer band Roth had assembled for ‘Smile’ — including Steve Vai on guitars, Billy Sheehan on bass and Gregg Bissonette on drums — fans were primed for another dose of the Dave they’d come to know and love. It came as something of a shock when they discovered that Roth had something slightly different in mind for ‘Skyscraper’ — specifically, a more keyboard-heavy sound that incorporated emerging pop trends at the expense of the rawer, more muscular sound he’d adopted for ‘Eat ‘Em and Smile.’

Although this approach paid immediate dividends when the album’s first single, ‘Just Like Paradise,’ broke the Top 10, Roth’s approach for ‘Skyscraper’ proved immediately divisive — and not just among fans. Sheehan, whose songwriting contributions to the earlier record were just as crucial as his distinctive bass sound, departed the band at the tail end of the sessions for the album, with Vai soon to follow. Sheehan talked about his days in the Roth band during a recent interview with Ultimate Classic Rock, and talked specifically about ‘Paradise’ in these additional comments, published exclusively here for the first time.

“I don’t even play bass on ‘Just Like Paradise’ — it’s all synth bass,” Sheehan recalled. “Dave had a vision. In retrospect, he was right — he thought this dance-music thing was going to be huge, so he wanted to kind of move the band over into that dance-beat kind of thing, so that was that synth thing. He was right — dance became huge. He foresaw the future and he was right. However, if you’re a rock band, the dance people don’t ever want to talk to you. And if you’re a rock band trying to do dance, they don’t care — they want to hear the dance people doing dance.”

While ‘Just Like Paradise’ proved successful in the short term, its pop sheen — and the keyboard-heavy sound Roth used for ‘Skyscraper’ in general — likely hurt Roth’s rock credibility in the long run. “It’s pretty rare for somebody to break over from rock into dance,” Sheehan admitted. “It’s happened and it will happen, but it didn’t happen [here]. Dave, I credit him for having the guts to take a stab at it, because to be secure enough in your own mind to really make a stylistic move that’s quite dramatic like that and that takes a lot of guts. If the experiment would have worked, he would have been the king of the world. Unfortunately, it didn’t — but I’m glad he tried. I give artists a lot of credit who decide to take a left turn.”

Vai weighed in during a separate interview with the Van Halen News Desk, admitting that ‘Just Like Paradise’ “was too ‘pop’ for me, it was too ‘Glee,’ you know?” Asked about rumors that he hated the song, he responded, “‘Hate’ is a strong word. I didn’t hate it; I enjoyed playing anything that I played in that band. It just wouldn’t have been my choice. But I still enjoyed it, and I think I did a great job on it … But yeah, I wasn’t a fan of that song. I didn’t like it when it was written. I tried not to get it on the record. [Dave] liked it, and I did my best with it.”

Vai’s unwilling participation helped anchor the track, making it one of the more successful pop-rock hybrids on the record — not to mention a killer single whose rapid chart ascension was fueled by a suitably gonzo video featuring Roth on a four-day climb of Yosemite’s Half Dome mountain between standard performance clips (which co-starred Vai’s distinctive triple-necked heart-shaped guitar). Unfortunately, while ‘Paradise’ gave Roth his biggest self-penned solo hit, it would also serve as his final appearance in the Top 40. He’d continue to enjoy rock-radio airplay into the ’90s, but Vai and Sheehan’s departures ushered in an era of personnel turnover and commercial decline.

Still, even if those synths rubbed some fans the wrong way in 1988, they don’t sound too bad now — and that combination of Roth’s stacked vocals and Vai’s squealing electric leads still serves as a fitting send-off to another five days of working for the Man. We’ve been meant for this since we were born, UCR faithful, and you know what to do next: Scroll on up to that video at the top of the post, hit play, turn up the volume and let the weekend start now.

Matz

#166 Post by Matz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:29 am

it's too pop like Vai says in the article but it features som badass guitar playing, I the album as a whole

Pandemonium

#167 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Matz wrote:it's too pop like Vai says in the article but it features som badass guitar playing, I the album as a whole
Just Like Paradise was a decent lightweight pop tune and easily the most radio-friendly track on that album but the album itself aside from that song, the almost prog-rock "Hina" and the excellent, bluesy "Damn Good Times" was a major letdown and really signaled the rapid decline of Roth's solo career.

Artemis

#168 Post by Artemis » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:31 pm

Hilarious article from The Onion

http://www.theonion.com/articles/cia-ad ... :1:Default
CIA Admits Role In 1985 Coup To Oust David Lee Roth

LANGLEY, VA—Shedding new light on a tumultuous period of upheaval that dominated international headlines nearly 30 years ago, the U.S. government declassified hundreds of documents Tuesday that confirm the CIA covertly organized and executed the coup that ousted lead singer David Lee Roth from Van Halen.

According to a preliminary analysis, the newly released information includes more than 1,600 pages of formerly top-secret material detailing the CIA’s clandestine plot to infiltrate the platinum-selling rock group and unseat the magnetic, impulsive musician from his leadership position in the spring of 1985. The documents reveal that the agency worked behind the scenes for years, beginning after the release of the disco-inflected “Push Comes To Shove” single in 1981, to foment the internal turmoil and unrest needed to destabilize the band and ultimately force Roth to step down from the American heavy metal act.

“As Van Halen’s creative direction became uncertain in the early 1980s, it became increasingly apparent that we would have to take the steps necessary to remove Roth from power,” said former Deputy Director of Central Intelligence John N. McMahon, describing the covert process by which he and his colleagues quietly forced a schism between the vocalist and members of the band’s inner circle in order to disrupt the dangerous cult of personality that had taken hold around the hard-rock frontman. “Well before the commencement of the Hide Your Sheep Tour, Roth had become too unpredictable, too brazen, and he was preventing the band’s sound from moving toward synthesizer-driven, radio-friendly rock. So, we felt we needed to act, and quickly.”

“Quite simply, our office determined that Roth was no longer fit to exercise control over Van Halen, and that his aspirations for the band were not aligned with the best interests of the American people,” he continued.

Dubbed Operation Diamond Cutter by the select top-ranking CIA administrators who orchestrated the plot, the confidential initiative reportedly sought to quietly undermine Roth’s influence within Van Halen and replace him with Sammy Hagar, a charismatic but largely inert puppet leader who agency officials were confident would be easily manipulated once installed atop the iconic rock group.

The CIA confirmed that it was able to exploit preexisting strains in the band by capitalizing on internal concerns over Roth’s long-term musical ambitions following the release of his solo EP, as well as pent-up tensions that had simmered for years after the lukewarm commercial and critical reception of Van Halen’s Fair Warning album. Additionally, American intelligence operatives succeeded in enlisting Roth’s manager and utilizing the double agent to convince his client that relinquishing his position would allow him to pursue what was portrayed as a budding and potentially prosperous film career.

“Based on the things we heard coming out of Van Halen’s studio at the time, we were given authorization from the highest levels of government to seek every possible avenue to subvert Roth’s command,” said one CIA operative speaking on condition of anonymity, claiming that the agency recruited and trained numerous groupies and entourage members to ply longtime Roth ally Alex Van Halen with alcohol in order to ensure that he was in no state to oppose the takeover. “Had we not moved when we did, there’s no telling what kind of detrimental effect Roth would have had on the band’s move into more mainstream pop territory and the state of rock music as a whole. We saw the opportunity to remove this uncontrollable megalomaniac from power while safeguarding the American people from his potent influence, and we seized it.”

“The last thing we wanted was to have another ‘Panama’ on our hands,” he added. :lol:

As revealed by the CIA, prior to Roth’s successful ouster from the group, the agency also funneled hundreds of thousands of dollars in untraceable funds through intermediaries to bankroll the production and distribution of such incendiary works as VOA and the “I Can’t Drive 55” single in order to bolster Hagar’s profile in the eyes of the band’s supporters.

Despite the prevalence of critics who question the legitimacy of the post-Roth Van Halen regime, McMahon said that he has “no regrets whatsoever” about the agency’s false flag mission.

“Overthrowing Roth was a risky, highly controversial maneuver, but I believe that history will justify our actions,” McMahon said, acknowledging that the coup ultimately proved ineffectual, as the vocalist’s departure merely ushered in a series of decreasingly competent replacements, culminating in Roth reclaiming his seat of power long after the band had ceased to have an impact in the international community. “This was a self-aggrandizing degenerate who needed to be toppled in order to bring stability to the band’s direction. We did what needed to be done.”

“That being said, none of us could possibly have foreseen that For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge would indirectly result from our actions,” he added, solemnly shaking his head.

Artemis

#169 Post by Artemis » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:52 pm

Listening to this interview right now... :thumb:
Even those who aren't into VH will enjoy this.

Eddie Van Halen "Is Rock 'n' Roll All About Reinvention?"
Eddie Van Halen Shares Life Story, Van Halen Update at Smithsonian

"I’d love to make a studio record," guitarist says. "Depends on everybody’s timing. I don’t know what Dave [Lee Roth] is up to now"

https://soundcloud.com/z-calo-public-sq ... len-wimtba

SR

#170 Post by SR » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:23 pm

Great interview. Much more respect for him. :rockon:

Artemis

#171 Post by Artemis » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:47 pm

There's a video of the talk available too.

Last edited by Artemis on Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SR

#172 Post by SR » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Such an idiot, I am....Thanks! That does help with his demos/explanations a lot

Artemis

#173 Post by Artemis » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:06 pm

It's okay...I didn't think to look for a vid until you mentioned it.

Matz

#174 Post by Matz » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:43 am

Artemis wrote:Listening to this interview right now... :thumb:
Even those who aren't into VH will enjoy this.

Eddie Van Halen "Is Rock 'n' Roll All About Reinvention?"
Eddie Van Halen Shares Life Story, Van Halen Update at Smithsonian

"I’d love to make a studio record," guitarist says. "Depends on everybody’s timing. I don’t know what Dave [Lee Roth] is up to now"

https://soundcloud.com/z-calo-public-sq ... len-wimtba
great link, thanks. Beautiful to hear about his childhood and dad and how they came over on that boat

Pandemonium

#175 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:37 am

It's great to see Eddie has maintained his sobriety and health and this is probably the most articulate sit-down I've ever seen him do. The Q&A with the audience was also a treat.

However, anyone who knows Eddie knows he embellishes and flat out lies about certain things to suit his version of events. Probably the most glaring case in point is the comments about recording a new album and touring with Dave - he "doesn't know where Dave is" thus that's the hold up with touring and a new album which is flat out untrue. Which goes to Eddie's apparent view that he and his brother were 95% of the band and Roth and Hagar basically spiced up "their" tunes with lyrics and vox (and Michael Anthony apparently did nothing). It's just frustrating as a fan to continually hear how much music Eddie says they've produced yet they've somehow only put out one studio album (that was 2/3rds reworked pre-1978 songs) in the past 17 years.