Peter Murphy Fucks Up

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Peter Murphy Fucks Up

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 am

http://tinyurl.com/bssqd3q

Peter Murphy arrested for alleged DUI hit-and-run in Glendale

Peter Murphy arrested for alleged DUI-related crash. (Glendale Police Department / March 18, 2013)

March 18, 2013 | 4:51 p.m.

Peter Murphy, lead singer of British Goth rock band Bauhaus, was arrested Saturday after he allegedly rear-ended a vehicle in Glendale, injured the driver and then fled to Los Angeles, where he was blocked by an eyewitness until police arrived, officials said.

The eyewitness followed Murphy, 55, from the crash at Central and Goode avenues in Glendale to the 3400 block of Barham Boulevard in Los Angeles because “he was afraid [Murphy] would kill someone with his driving,” according to Glendale police.

Murphy, who was in a Subaru Forester, reportedly struck a Mercedes about 11:48 a.m. at the intersection, then drove around it and got on the Ventura (134) Freeway, police said. As he fled the scene, a witness who was washing windows, snapped a photograph of Murphy’s Subaru, which sustained moderate front-end damage.

The driver of the Mercedes was also able to write down Murphy’s license plate number before Glendale fire personnel hauled her away on a gurney, police said.

Meanwhile, the driver of a pickup truck reportedly followed Murphy to Los Angeles, where he pulled in front of him, blocked his Subaru and called Glendale police to tell them he was detaining Murphy.

Los Angeles police detained Murphy until Glendale police arrived.

Glendale officers said Murphy appeared to be at points “very confused” and had difficulty recalling the day and time.

Murphy denied drinking alcohol that day, adding that he had only taken his regular prescription pills for depression, according to police.

Murphy — who’s from England but lives in Turkey — reportedly admitted to being involved in a traffic collision, telling officers he was jet-lagged from a recent flight, police said.

Inside the Los Angeles police patrol car where Murphy had been detained, officers reported finding a small plastic bag, possibly of methamphetamine, police said. Murphy denied the bag belonged to him, but officers said they believed he was trying to discard it in the patrol car.

Murphy was arrested on suspicion of causing injuries while driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, felony hit-and-run and possessing methamphetamine, police said.

He remained in custody Monday in lieu of $500,000 bail, which was set after officers expressed concern that he could be a flight risk, police said.

Murphy is best known for his lead vocals with the group Bauhaus, which recorded four albums and ignited the Goth rock movement. The group is known for its greatest hit “Bela Lugosi’s Dead,” as well as “She’s in Parties” and “Kick in the Eye.”

After Bauhaus broke up in 1983, he helped form Dalis Car and went on to record several solo albums.

-- Veronica Rocha, Times Community News

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Meth.... :banghead:

Guess that explains the recent cash grab Vegas "experience Murphy" thing and the potentially embarrassing "Bauhaus Greatest Hits" tour w/scab band this Summer.

Artemis

Re: Peter Murphy Fucks Up

#2 Post by Artemis » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:49 am

That's a very disappointing story to read. It's bad enough that he was driving in an impaired state, but to then flee the scene is beyond uncool. :mad: :no:

I actually just bought tickets on Sunday for that Bahaus greatest hits tour too. I wonder if he will be able to enter Canada with that DUI charge. The show is in May.
Last edited by Artemis on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

SR

#3 Post by SR » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:52 am

Um, yeah. So many fuck ups here...as if the guy wasn't in enough trouble. He is fucked now with all of these charges.

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Artemis wrote:That's a very disappointing story to read. It's bad enough that he was driving in an impaired state, but to then flee the scene is beyond uncool. :mad: :no:

I actually just bought tickets on Sunday for that Bahaus greatest hits tour too. I wonder if he will be able to enter Canada with that DUI charge. The show is in May.
From the story, it sounds like he can't leave the US while out on bail (if he's even out - there's conflicting stories about that).

He's not in parties, he's in the can.

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
He's not in parties, he's in the can.

:lolol: That made me laugh out loud - good one!

creep
Site Admin

#6 Post by creep » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:12 pm

he does have a methy look

Artemis

#7 Post by Artemis » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:18 pm

:lolol: omg, you guys are cracking me up this evening.

tvrec

#8 Post by tvrec » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:50 pm

if your dad was a meth head...

Artemis

#9 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:36 am

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2013/1 ... probation/
Peter Murphy pleads guilty to meth posession in hit-and-run, sentenced to 3 years probation

Former Bauhaus frontman Peter Murphy avoided jail time last week when he pleaded guilty to meth possession and no contest to hit-and-run driving in connection with a Southern California car crash, for which he was sentenced to three years of probation and ordered to attend 45 days of Narcotics Anonymous meetings, the Glendale News-Press reported.

Murphy appeared in Los Angeles County Superior Court on Thursday to accept a plea deal with prosecutors, the newspaper reported, which also included the dismissal of a charge of driving under the influence of drugs. The meth conviction would be removed from Murphy’s record if he completes the NA meetings, the newspaper reported.

The singer was arrested March 16 after police say he was driving a Subaru Forester when he rear-ended a Mercedes around 11:48 a.m. in an intersection in Glendale, Calif., then fled the scene — but was followed to Los Angeles by an eyewitness who told police “he was afraid (Murphy) would kill someone with his driving.” The witness blocked Murphy’s vehicle until police came and took him into custody.

Police noted that Murphy appeared “very confused” and was unsure of the day and time, according to the newspaper. He denied drinking alcohol, but said he had taken prescription mediation for depression.

According to press accounts, police reported finding a small bag of methamphetamine inside the patrol car in which Murphy had been detained, and believe the singer had been trying to discard it.

Murphy denied the drugs were his. He later pleaded not guilty to three misdemeanor counts of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, hit-and-run driving and possessing methamphetamine.

Following last week’s plea deal, Murphy’s attorney, Robert Wilson, told the News-Press: “It’s the correct resolution.”

Pandemonium

#10 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Murphy is playing about 15 minutes away at The Observatory at the end of the week. Didnt give much thought about seeing him with whatever band of Bauhaus scrubs he's touring with but the sets appear to be very different from show to show with a lot of deep cuts and even the better songs off the sucky reunion album.

kv

#11 Post by kv » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:17 pm

still the worst show i ever paid to see was a peter murphy solo show

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:19 pm

kv wrote:still the worst show i ever paid to see was a peter murphy solo show
Wasn't Eric part of one of his solo lineups for a few months in the late 90's?

I'm thinking about going to the Costa Mesa show simply because it's close by, probably cheap and the WTF factor might be a bit high considering Murphy's recent problems and of course the aging gothoids that will no doubt show up.

kv

#13 Post by kv » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:16 pm

ya eric and pete d i think...when i saw him and he sucked it was like 91-92

ya pete brings out the old goths like nobodies business

nausearockpig

#14 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:26 am

What. A. Fucking. Loser.

SR

#15 Post by SR » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:48 am

This guys dodged serious hollow point with this plea

Xizen47

#16 Post by Xizen47 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Protecting his dark entries

Hype

#17 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Meth. What the hell? I can sort of understand why poor suburban white people would use meth... but a wealthy sufi convert who married a famous Turkish dancer and embodied Ziggy Stardust better than Bowie... I would've figured him for a hashish and/or cocaine guy. :confused: They should start calling him "The Thin Toothless Duke"... :no:

Pandemonium

#18 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Meth. What the hell? I can sort of understand why poor suburban white people would use meth... but a wealthy sufi convert who married a famous Turkish dancer and embodied Ziggy Stardust better than Bowie... I would've figured him for a hashish and/or cocaine guy. :confused: They should start calling him "The Thin Toothless Duke"... :no:
I hear Danny Ash isn't doing so good these days as well.

Artemis

#19 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:37 am

Pandemonium wrote:

I'm thinking about going to the Costa Mesa show simply because it's close by, probably cheap and the WTF factor might be a bit high considering Murphy's recent problems and of course the aging gothoids that will no doubt show up.
The show I saw in May was packed with peopel over 40. I would sasy the average age was about 45-55.

This was one of the worst shows of PM's I've seen. Not because he couldn't sing but because of the sound troubles during the whole show. For about half the show PM's vocal were too low, and not very audible. Also, he seemed to run throyugh the songs unenthusiastically. I'd seen him a few times before and the shows were good to very good. I don't think I'll go to see him solo again.

nausearockpig

#20 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Artemis wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

The show I saw in May was packed with peopel over 40. I would sasy the average age was about 45-55.

This was one of the worst shows of PM's I've seen. Not because he couldn't sing but because of the sound troubles during the whole show. For about half the show PM's vocal were too low, and not very audible. Also, he seemed to run throyugh the songs unenthusiastically. I'd seen him a few times before and the shows were good to very good. I don't think I'll go to see him solo again.
You can probably visit him in his jail cell. He'll likely be solo in there....

Artemis

#21 Post by Artemis » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:50 pm

I'm digging the new Peter Murphy tune...very Sisters of Mercy-ish.
His new album is coming out in June along with another tour. I will probably go see him again.

The Godfather of Goth, Peter Murphy, is back with Lion, his 10th studio LP. While Lion won’t hit until June 3, the first single, Hang Up will be available April 8 with an exclusive 7″ remix available April 19 for Record Store Day.

Meanwhile, you can check out the video for Hang Up below the US tour dates. Let us know if you like the heavy sound of the lead single.

Peter Murphy tour 2014

May 22—LVCS—Las Vegas, Nevada
May 23—Crescent Ballroom—Phoenix, Arizona
May 24—Rialto Theater—Tucson, Arizona
May 27—Belmont Theater—Austin, Texas
May 28—Granada Theater—Dallas, Texas
May 29—Scout Bar—Houston, Texas
May 31—One Eyed Jacks—New Orleans, Louisiana
June 1—Highdive—Gainesville, Florida
June 3—Grand Central—Miami, Florida
June 4—Orpheum Theater—Tampa, Florida
June 6—Terminal West—Atlanta, Georgia
June 7—Tremont Theater—Charlotte, North Carolina
June 8—State Theatre—Falls Church, Virginia
June 9—Irving Plaza—New York, New York
June 11—The Outer Space—Hamden, Connecticut
June 12—Paradise Club—Boston, Massachusetts
June 13—Trocadero—Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
June 14—Town Ballroom—Buffalo, New York
June 16—Lee’s Palace—Toronto, Ontario
June 17—Magic Stick—Detroit, Michigan
June 18—Firebird—St. Louis, Missouri
June 20—Double Door—Chicago, Illinois
June 21—Waiting Room—Omaha, Nebraska
June 22—Riot Room—Kansas City, Missouri
June 24—Summit Music Hall—Denver, Colorado
June 25—The Depot—Salt Lake City, Utah
June 27—Rickshaw Theatre—Vancouver, British Columbia
June 28—Showbox Theater—Seattle, Washington
June 29—Star Theater—Portland, Oregon
July 1—Regency Theater—San Francisco, California
July 2—Belly-Up Tavern—San Diego, California
July 3, 5—Fonda Theater—Los Angeles, California

Pandemonium

#22 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:54 pm

Artemis wrote:I'm digging the new Peter Murphy tune...very Sisters of Mercy-ish.
His new album is coming out in June along with another tour. I will probably go see him again.
Yeah, that tune isn't bad at all, sounds like it could be an out-take from Bowie's 1995 "Outside" album.

Artemis

#23 Post by Artemis » Wed May 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Here's another song from his new album..

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:15 am

So I've been giving Murphy's latest, "Lion" some time the past few days. Didn't know it was produced by Killing Joke's bassist/producer Youth. Unfortunately, the production is a big part of why this album isn't better. Murphy mostly sounds like he's singing in a indoor racquetball court, there's so much echo and reverb going on it's hard to make out what he's singing. The first few songs are the best of the lot (notably "Hang Up") but I like his earlier album "Ninth" a lot better.

BTW, this also came with a 2nd live CD from Murphy's recent Bauhaus covers tour. All the usual songs included, nothing from "Go Away White" though. His band is not very good and the guitarist often butchers and slops through his parts (Stigmata Martyr is particularly dire). It doesn't help that the recording is at a very low volume and lacks any presence.

Artemis

#25 Post by Artemis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:11 pm

I saw Peter Murphy AGAIN back in June. The new songs didn't sound that great live. The band was okay but PM didn't sound very good live. I felt he was just going through the numbers, bit of a let down. I decided that I am done with seeing PM live again.
Here's a little vid I rook and my first try at using youtube.