Dexter

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Pandemonium

Re: Dexter

#26 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why you want a character to empathize with.
I don't "need" a character to empathize with in a show like Dexter as I think you're trying to infer.

It's something that works with most people on a subconcious level when reading a story, watching a movie, tv series etc. You 're involved in a story of some sort, you usually identify, empathize, maybe root for a character to get to some sort of resolution. I'm not talking about a need to model behavior or lifestyle after a character (well, unless you're a Tolkien, Star Wars or Star Trek nut), I'm simply talking about a character or characters that compel the viewer to have an interest in their story arc and resolution.

Clearly, there's some movies for example, many that are great works of their genre that really don't have any easy to empathize with characters, say The Sopranos for instance - all the main characters (were) crooks and murderers.... But a few may have some qualities that a viewer can relate, humor, authority ...whatever. That's a big part of what draws the viewer in and keeps them engaged especially in a long, ongoing series. Even a nihilistic movie like Clockwork Orange the viewer has some small sense of pity late in the movie for the otherwise reprehensible Alex. There's not too many movies that featured *no* redeemable characters that aren't unpleasant chores to watch ("Henry Portrait Of A Serial Killer") or at the worst, depressing, exploitive ("AntiChrist," "Salo") exercises in self-degradation.

I'm not saying certain movies, books and other works of fiction that are primarily nihilistic, visceral gut punches don't have their place or qualify as art, it's just not what I normally look for in entertainment.

Hype

#27 Post by Hype » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:51 am

Well that's sort of what I was asking... Though I think Dexter tries to be traditional theatre with a twist, rather than, say, epic theatre (in the Brechtian style) I think if you come into it expecting only "entertainment", you may be losing something (or aware of it, but don't want that, as you seem to be, which I guess is fine, but then the problem isn't with the show.)

chaos

#28 Post by chaos » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:14 pm

http://screenrant.com/dexter-season-8-9-premiere-date/

‘Dexter’ Season 8 Premieres in June; Season 9 Still Possible
2 months ago by Anthony Ocasio

The wait for Dexter season 8 just got much shorter this week, when Showtime Entertainment President David Nevin revealed that the premiere will be moved up from its typical fall debut to this summer, Sunday, June 30. But don’t expect the series to end this year, because there’s still no official answer.

While speaking at the TCA this Sunday, Nevin announced that Dexter will be getting an early start this year, likely to help to bolster the series premiere of Ray Donovan, which stars Liev Schreiber as a “fixer” for the Hollywood rich and famous. The Showtime Entertainment President went on to continue not confirming whether or not this will be the final season of Dexter.

Here’s what he had to say about the possibilities of Dexter season 9:

I’m not making any announcements about when Dexter will end. Before Dexter goes on the air for their next season, there will be a clear end game in place, but I can’t talk about it. The decision of when Dexter will end is ultimately a creative decision and made on creative reasons.

If what Nevin says is true, Dexter will be coming to an end – something series showrunner Sara Colleton already confirmed during season 7: “We wanted to end it this year, but the network convinced us that it would be best to do it in two years. In some ways, this is a two-season series-ender.” In fact, it’s the two-season series-ender plan that’s allowing the show to air early without affecting production. However, Nevin isn’t the only one speaking of a possible season 9.

Last month, executive producer Scott Buck said, “I don’t have an answer to that because that’s a Showtime decision.” If Showtime is saying it’s a creative decision and Dexter producers are saying it’s Showtime’s decision, what does that mean? That it’s probably Showtime’s decision. Probably. And if so, it’s likely thanks to Homeland’s success.

Showtime has a wonderful collection of original series, most which never receive the acclaim that they deserve. Since Dexter has proven to be a great lead-in, which helps to drive more eyes to new series, it’s no surprise that they’ll want to use that to their advantage while they still can. With Dexter airing early in June, before Ray Donovan, Dexter season 9 could be ready to air in January 2014, when Showtime premieres their winter series. And since the potential ninth season would air six months later, audiences aren’t likely to complain about the storyline being extended.

Although the Dexter season 7 finale certainly set things up for a likely finale, and the newly cast characters certainly point towards an ending, fans of the series will have to wait for an official announcement on the fate of Dexter Morgan and his series.

chaos

#29 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:34 pm

I have been looking forward to season 8. Based on last night's episode I think the new character, Dr. Vogel, helped to created Dexter; that is I think Dexter's father consulted her. Dexter may be an experiment for her in that she wanted/wants to see if a psychopath can be molded in a certain way.

Pandemonium

#30 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:34 pm

I now find myself more interested in Debras story arc vesus Dexters'. Dexter has become so unlikeable, self-absorbed and out of control it's not really a question of how the show will eventually kill him off but how many of the rest of the regulars will get sucked down in Dexter's final flame-out.

JOEinPHX

#31 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:20 am

chaos wrote:I have been looking forward to season 8. Based on last night's episode I think the new character, Dr. Vogel, helped to created Dexter; that is I think Dexter's father consulted her. Dexter may be an experiment for her in that she wanted/wants to see if a psychopath can be molded in a certain way.
This is interesting and i agree.

Can we please kill Deb soon though? I don't care who does it, i am just tired of watching her be an emotional mess while fucking every male on the planet who is the worst possible choice at the time.

blackula

#32 Post by blackula » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:20 am

I'm excited that his girlfriend was in the upcoming episodes teaser. I'm glad that storyline isn't just going to disappear. Isn't trinity's kid a killer too? Wasn't that 2 seasons ago when Dexter tracked him down in the midwest but wasn't able to kill him?

blackula

#33 Post by blackula » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:51 am

I like where the season is heading so far. It could go in a few different directions. I'm guessing Vogel will have an even bigger role. I just hope all loose ends are tied up, not that there's many.

I watched the first Ray Donovan episode and thought it was pretty good.

chaos

#34 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:56 am

Dr. Vogel seems manipulative and a little possessive. I wouldn't be surprised if she convinces Dexter that Debra needs to be hospitalized in order to protect his interests. Maybe the series will end with her putting Dexter in a hospital in order to hang on to her experiment/project.

I think this has been Jennifer Carpenter's best season acting wise.

farrellgirl99

#35 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:28 pm

chaos wrote:Dr. Vogel seems manipulative and a little possessive. I wouldn't be surprised if she convinces Dexter that Debra needs to be hospitalized in order to protect his interests. Maybe the series will end with her putting Dexter in a hospital in order to hang on to her experiment/project.

I think this has been Jennifer Carpenter's best season acting wise.
the scene in the interrogation room with Quinn was very well acted.

ive really come to like deb.

chaos

#36 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Although the ending came as a well-needed surprise, I was disappointed in last night's episode.

blackula

#37 Post by blackula » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:50 pm

I thought it was a decent episode. Dont read this if you havent seen it yet. I hate the "on the next episode of dexter" shit though. They show a car flying off a cliff. Even though it was looking like that was going to happen, showing me the fucking car going off the cliff before the episode confirmed a slightly predictable moment at the end of the episode. I gotta avoid that shit.

creep
Site Admin

#38 Post by creep » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:21 pm

i just started watching this season and it's an ok series....not great. i will still watch though. when his sister was being so nice it was obvious shit was about to go down.

if you want to see a better series watch ray donovan right after dexter.

JOEinPHX

#39 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:49 pm

1. Ray Donovan is awesome

2. I'll bet they go the "It was all just a dream" route. The entire series will have been just a bunch of imaginary stories happening in the head of a psychopath named Dexter Moser who is on death row. Harry never adopted him. Dexter started getting in trouble for killing animals as a young child and took his first life at 17. Was finally caught at 19 after murdering 30 people. Avoided the death penalty due to reasons of insanity and now spends the rest of his life in solitary confinement, dreaming of what he could have become and the family he could have had if only someone had rescued him and loved him. That's the only way I see this ending, and how they can explain all the plot holes of people just randomly dying and Dexter continuously getting away with it all. It also would explain why Harry's ghost keeps talking to him. Harry is probably just the cop he remembers pulling him from the blood as a child. It still haunts him because Harry was the only person who ever "saved" him. Big reveal: The cop who saved him wasn't even named Harry.

chaos

#40 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:06 pm

I wonder if Harry's ghost will speak to Dexter again since Dexter broke the code. I don't think he has spoken to him yet this season. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#41 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:42 pm

creep wrote:i just started watching this season and it's an ok series....not great. i will still watch though. when his sister was being so nice it was obvious shit was about to go down.

if you want to see a better series watch ray donovan right after dexter.
I really liked the first two seasons and the one with John Lithgow as "Trinity." The last two seasons, especially last season pretty much were rock bottom for the series, this season is better in large part because *finally* Dexter and Debora have been backed into a downward spiral with no way out and it's all gonna end with this season.

JOEinPHX

#42 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:25 pm

Pandemonium wrote:*finally* Dexter and Debora have been backed into a downward spiral with no way out and it's all gonna end with this season.
Maybe.

Showtime is now considering bringing it back for Season 9.

With season 8 already totally filmed, that means Dexter obviously doesn't die. Thanks for the spoiler, Showtime.

Pandemonium

#43 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:52 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:*finally* Dexter and Debora have been backed into a downward spiral with no way out and it's all gonna end with this season.
Maybe.

With season 8 already totally filmed, that means Dexter obviously doesn't die. Thanks for the spoiler, Showtime.
That conflicts with what Showtime announced this past week regarding a couple pricey "Dexter Complete" Blu-ray or DVD sets that contains the "final" season 8 and the rest of the series:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32438 ... ome-video/

"Blood Slide" Box

"Head Trauma" set

JOEinPHX

#44 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Who knows. Maybe they've made up their mind after all. :noclue:

That is a pretty sweet looking box set.

Essence_Smith

#45 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Maybe.

Nah, it's dead...no next season in the air, and I got that from a very reliable source at Showtime...

blackula

#46 Post by blackula » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:59 am

Is everyone still watching?

Throughout the series the story required you to overlook obvious holes and play it off to poor decision making by characters or luck or whatever. Nothing too crazy, but still walking a line at times. I think last night's episode went over that line. I don't want to go into detail for anyone that hasn't seen it yet. I understand they're painting a picture of Dexter losing his grip on everything and his web is even more tangled, but some of the story telling is a little thin and far fetched. Anyway, still excited to see how it ends.

Juana

#47 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:10 pm

I thought with the way this season is going that its going to be more of we'll fine out that Dexter was just dreaming basically.

chaos

#48 Post by chaos » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Dexter was one of my favorite shows but I hate this season. I am so disappointed. I'm hanging in there to see how it all gets wrapped up. I am preparing myself for an underwhelming finale.

Pandemonium

#49 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:42 pm

chaos wrote:Dexter was one of my favorite shows but I hate this season. I am so disappointed. I'm hanging in there to see how it all gets wrapped up. I am preparing myself for an underwhelming finale.
Yeah, especially the last few episodes have blown goats. I dont expect a series closure that will rank among the greats like the final MASH ep.

blackula

#50 Post by blackula » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Juana wrote:I thought with the way this season is going that its going to be more of we'll fine out that Dexter was just dreaming basically.
Yeah, I'm thinking that might be the only way to tie the story up without killing him.