hate it
18%
it's ok
33%

Total votes: 57

JOEinPHX

Re: Album Cover

#76 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Larry B. wrote:Maybe it's all a metaphor regarding the dangers of the Large Hadron Collider and its impact on the ozone layer and the chupacabras.

They still haven't found the god particle. i bet that's what the poster is about. No matter how hard you look, you'll never find a real vagina

Tyler Durden

#77 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:maybe he just worked with what he could find, and it's MEANT to be a wine bottle.
:confused:

Turncoat

#78 Post by Turncoat » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:29 pm

I bet the guy is Eric. :tiphat:

Larry B.

#79 Post by Larry B. » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:30 pm

The poster is a metaphor about the JA community... get it? "Poster"? We're the posters. And even though we look like assholes all the time, they can't help but look at us.

Pandemonium

#80 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm not too thrilled by the cover, but it's weird and certainly more interesting than the Strays cover. The two (actually three) wildly clashing fonts for the band name and album name is amateurish. Also, it appears Etty is also in the little photo on the desk as well as the wall photo (which has a photoshopped bevel around it as if it was a wall light switch, lol!).

BTW, this is as best a translation of what's written in the open book on the desk as I can make:

"I played tricks nobody(?) even I could explain.
Rhyme came easily but reason I was unable to make.
I gorged on excitement, no memory of the profane.

Filled with excited images, no memory of the mundane.
Super happy!!
Super pissed!!
The Great Escape Artist!!¬"

JOEinPHX

#81 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Pandemonium wrote:I'm not too thrilled by the cover, but it's weird and certainly more interesting than the Strays cover. The two (actually three) wildly clashing fonts for the band name and album name is amateurish. Also, it appears Etty is also in the little photo on the desk as well as the wall photo (which has a photoshopped bevel around it as if it was a wall light switch, lol!).

BTW, this is as best a translation of what's written in the open book on the desk as I can make:

"I played tricks nobody(?) even I could explain.
Rhyme came easily but reason I was unable to make.
I gorged on excitement, no memory of the profane.

Filled with excited images, no memory of the mundane.
Super happy!!
Super pissed!!
The Great Escape Artist!!¬"
holy fuck. way to go dude. :rockon:

drifter

#82 Post by drifter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:11 pm

on the desk theres a poster from the bardot gig that duff first played. maybe thats a nod to him :noclue:
Last edited by drifter on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#83 Post by Jasper » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:16 pm

I have no idea how you were able to read everything in that book, especially the lower-left side. The one thing I'd suggest is that it could say "Nobody, not even I could explain." Just a guess...seems to make sense.

Anyways, so there appears to be a mask peaking out of a box under the desk. This could mean old identities (escaping from them) or maybe somebody being two-faced, but who knows. The box has some writing on it, could be the old Jane's logo, but I can't really tell.

leviticus

#84 Post by leviticus » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:20 pm

It's growing on me. Also kinda reminds me of "Portrait of an American Family". I was repulsed at first, then I got into the color scheme and odd perspectives. The goofy face is a turnoff. It's a huge step up from "strays". It is not "artless" as someone accused it of being... that was Strays. It is equal parts grotesque, absorbing and silly. I'm moving toward like with it. Now you can feel good about the cover as my opinion is the most important one here. :neutral:

JOEinPHX

#85 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:55 pm

i think if you take it for what it is, it's probably pretty mediocre.

But once you start actually considering the meaning behind everything in the room, it seems kind of cool. the more we discuss it, the more i like it.

chaos

#86 Post by chaos » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:45 pm

Is that a face on Perry's underwear? Is the woman on the card on the table Carmen Electra?

Juana

#87 Post by Juana » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:16 am

About TGEA vibe of the cover:

I honestly think he's trapped in himself. He's gone from wild banshee hero to "dad". I have no doubt he loves his wife and child but he's probably having a hard time fronting he and Eric's baby as a "kept man". Personally being able to talk to him during SXSW I think he misses the freedom of the old days but loves his current life. Now granted I'm basing this on drunken after party convos but I didn't talk about JA. I did mention P4P because I honestly love GGU more than the Jane's output at this point in my life but to me I think he loves throwing a party...

At this point he's gone from cheap vodka whiskey thunder banshee wail guy.... to the host.

In that frame of mind I LOVE this cover. I think he tapped into the previous art work, but he tried to modernize it. The man has to balance being a legend and a father/husband these days and I think he wants to be a good dad.

JOEinPHX

#88 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:19 am

oooooook.

But do you think it's a wine bottle or a beer bottle? :lol:

Juana

#89 Post by Juana » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:46 am

Six7Six7 wrote:oooooook.

But do you think it's a wine bottle or a beer bottle? :lol:
I would say it was a beer bottle, fashioned into a bong.

nausearockpig

#90 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:26 am

it's not "arty-sexy" like Ritual, it's not "arty-self-absorbed-look at me in a corset" like XXX and it's not "arty-WAAAYYY out there" like NS.. but it is about a gajillion times better than Strays..

Warped

#91 Post by Warped » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:04 am

I like it but honestly i don't care much for covers at all. It was a different matter with LP's but nowadays...
And in the end the music in it is what matters most and i have my hopes up for that. :wave:

Jammyshill

#92 Post by Jammyshill » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:48 am

I might have missed this being mentioned; but is that not a straight jacket on the end of the bed?

Bandit72

#93 Post by Bandit72 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:24 am

4am or 4pm? I'm being anal but the time must mean something.

I'm with Jasper, the Ritual cover is incredible. This reminds me of a 21st century Ritual cover. Shame the tracks won't be as good.

JOEinPHX

#94 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:11 am

Jammyshill wrote:I might have missed this being mentioned; but is that not a straight jacket on the end of the bed?
i thought it might have been his corset from the very first album.

JOEinPHX

#95 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:12 am

Bandit72 wrote:4am or 4pm? I'm being anal but the time must mean something.
Maybe it's just the number 4 that has significance.

His family perhaps? (if you don't count Yobel, and i don't think he does)

Larry B.

#96 Post by Larry B. » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:45 am

the 4 and the clock has an obvious meaning: "time for". and what's the obvious follow-up to that sentence beginning?

TIME
FOR
FUN!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Image Image Image Image Image

Jasper

#97 Post by Jasper » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:26 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Jammyshill wrote:I might have missed this being mentioned; but is that not a straight jacket on the end of the bed?
i thought it might have been his corset from the very first album.
Just looks like a blanket or a quilt to me. :noclue:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#98 Post by Hokahey » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:57 am

I don't like it. One bit. I like Strays better. It's waaaay too goofy. Stop comparing it to Ritual. Seriously.

Romeo

#99 Post by Romeo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:01 am

I wish "meh" was a choice. To me it's just meh. Not horrible (like Strays) not fantastic (like Ritual) just....meh.
This band has gotten so far away from "art" that I don't even consider it artistic.

CaseyContrarian

#100 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:08 am

Six7Six7 wrote:i think if you take it for what it is, it's probably pretty mediocre.

But once you start actually considering the meaning behind everything in the room, it seems kind of cool. the more we discuss it, the more i like it.
I said "artless." It is actually grotesque, amateurish, juvenile and annoying. But Six7 is right. The discussion informs what layers of meaning may be there, and thus makes it more appealing.

Cool trick -- can we do that with the music, too?
Last edited by CaseyContrarian on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.