Dexter

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
chaos

Re: Dexter

#51 Post by chaos » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Based on the previews for the last two episodes, my suspicions that the finale will be a dud have been confirmed. :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#52 Post by creep » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:12 pm

i just started watching this season. i will take everyone's word for it that it used to be good because it is pretty dumb. better than true blood though.

Hype

#53 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:27 pm

creep wrote:i just started watching this season. i will take everyone's word for it that it used to be good because it is pretty dumb. better than true blood though.
After the first few seasons (after they stopped following the plot of the books), they (literally...) lost the plot. Each season was sort of like House, where the same things would happen... The show got interesting again when John Lithgow did an excellent job playing evil/creepy. Now, I watch just because I want to see how the writers manage to end it.

Pandemonium

#54 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:31 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
creep wrote:i just started watching this season. i will take everyone's word for it that it used to be good because it is pretty dumb. better than true blood though.
After the first few seasons (after they stopped following the plot of the books), they (literally...) lost the plot. Each season was sort of like House, where the same things would happen... The show got interesting again when John Lithgow did an excellent job playing evil/creepy. Now, I watch just because I want to see how the writers manage to end it.
Yeah, I really enjoyed the first two seasons and the Lithgow season was genuinely great, especially the ballsy ending. The show hit rock bottom two season ago with the imaginary Edward James Olmos character and his religious nut killer. The last two seasons has a few decent episodes and interesting characters like the Russian mob boss but more or less it's treading water with stupid little plot twists that more or less look like keeping HBO's options open for a followup series with some of the characters in a different setting.

blackula

#55 Post by blackula » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Yeah, I really enjoyed the first two seasons and the Lithgow season was genuinely great, especially the ballsy ending. The show hit rock bottom two season ago with the imaginary Edward James Olmos character and his religious nut killer. The last two seasons has a few decent episodes and interesting characters like the Russian mob boss but more or less it's treading water with stupid little plot twists that more or less look like keeping HBO's options open for a followup series with some of the characters in a different setting.
Yeah, the plots gone all over. I think showtime views Dexter as its big show so it demands new seasons every year to act as the lead in show for the new shows they debut at 10 after Dexter. Last season ended in December? and this new one started in July? I read that it was because showtime wanted the lead in audience for Ray Donovan. Perhaps the pressure of having to write a new season in less than than a year, every year, caught up to them?

I liked the Jimmy Smitts season as well. Even that stupid, predictable from the get go Deadward James Olmos (get it) season had a decent story with the ex con who had the car repair place. Point being, I think they cram too many twists and lost their way by forcing the annual season.

Pandemonium

#56 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:32 pm

blackula wrote:Point being, I think they cram too many twists and lost their way by forcing the annual season.
Compared to True Blood, Dexter is a model of economic storytelling.

farrellgirl99

#57 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:17 pm

This season is awful. I thought they had a good bounce back season last year after the horror that was six, but then it got really bad again. Even the first few episodes of this year were okay/good.

But bringing Hannah back feels so inauthentic and the writing is AWFUL. going to argentina? deb magically being okay again? having the brain surgeon be vogel's son who we knew nothing about and then turning him into the big bad that needs to be killed? none of this makes sense for a final season!

The final season needed to be either a deb/dexter showdown (what i thought they were gonna do after the first few episodes) or a dexter/miami police dept showdown, especially after laguerta got killed (and matthews didnt give two shits when she had just told him she thought dexter was the bay harbor butcher?!!!!)

Sorry, I could go on forever bitching about this show. I used to love it and it has turned into the biggest pile of shit with terrible writing. Even the acting isn't as good as it used to be. So many pointless characters and sideplots (which admittedly, the show always had trouble with, but it was forgiven because of very solid main plots/characters)

Ugh!!!

Especially after you watch breaking bad, its just rough

Hype

#58 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:50 am

Well at least Quinn and...

No.. no... that doesn't make anything better. :lol: It's The OC, but with murders.

Pandemonium

#59 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:23 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Well at least Quinn and...

No.. no... that doesn't make anything better. :lol: It's The OC, but with murders.
Was there something going on health-wise with the actor who plays Quinn last year? He started the season looking rail thin with an almost shaved head and now he looks almost "normal" again.

chaos

#60 Post by chaos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:07 pm

I just assumed that he was supposed to look like that since his character was pining over Debra, drinking a lot, and not taking care of himself in general since he was miserable over their breakup. :noclue:

chaos

#61 Post by chaos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:28 pm

http://www.dexterdaily.com/2012/12/desm ... about.html

Monday, December 3, 2012
Desmond Harrington Comes Clean About His Weigh Loss

Dexter co-star Desmond Harrington -finally- comes clean about his weigh loss: "I didn't have any plastic surgery, I'm not sick it's called running and eating better! You understand? I'm in my 30s now. All these ridiculous stuff that I read "He's sick, he's on drugs", get a life! I just changed how I ate and begin to run!"

Listen to the whole -hilarious- Dexter Wrap-Up Podcast by clicking here http://www.dexterdaily.com/2012/12/dext ... nolds.html

chaos

#62 Post by chaos » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:21 pm

So any predictions for next week's finale. I am sure they will all be better than the actual show. :lol:

Pandemonium

#63 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:12 pm

chaos wrote:So any predictions for next week's finale. I am sure they will all be better than the actual show. :lol:
No doubt Dorxter decides to stay in Miami more revenge-driven than ever since I bet Deb croaks. Bug eyes Saxon probably goes after Hanna and the kid at the airport and probably kills Hanna or at least the private detective closing in on her in some ridiculous fashion of course leaving no remaining links back to the Dinkster. To make it a complete comedy, Dexter teams up with a now grief-stricken Quinn to kill Bug Eyes for the love o' Deb. The dynamic duo catch Bug Eyes in his hospital kill room and Dexter, no longer hungry to murder people lets Quinn do it. Quinn kills Dexter too because he knew Dexter was a supah-killin' freak since day one. The last scene is Quinn loading the Morgan family corpses on Dexter's boat, sending it off in the sunset where it catches fire like a viking funeral. The last scene is on Quinn, now the new Miami Metro Punisher looking for bad guys to murder on his PC as Nine Inch Nails new song "Everything" plays into the end credits. Simultaneously, hundreds of thousands of viewers heads explode in a wtf moment of epic proportions.

farrellgirl99

#64 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:34 am

Pandemonium wrote:
chaos wrote:So any predictions for next week's finale. I am sure they will all be better than the actual show. :lol:
No doubt Dorxter decides to stay in Miami more revenge-driven than ever since I bet Deb croaks. Bug eyes Saxon probably goes after Hanna and the kid at the airport and probably kills Hanna or at least the private detective closing in on her in some ridiculous fashion of course leaving no remaining links back to the Dinkster. To make it a complete comedy, Dexter teams up with a now grief-stricken Quinn to kill Bug Eyes for the love o' Deb. The dynamic duo catch Bug Eyes in his hospital kill room and Dexter, no longer hungry to murder people lets Quinn do it. Quinn kills Dexter too because he knew Dexter was a supah-killin' freak since day one. The last scene is Quinn loading the Morgan family corpses on Dexter's boat, sending it off in the sunset where it catches fire like a viking funeral. The last scene is on Quinn, now the new Miami Metro Punisher looking for bad guys to murder on his PC as Nine Inch Nails new song "Everything" plays into the end credits. Simultaneously, hundreds of thousands of viewers heads explode in a wtf moment of epic proportions.
:lol:

I think the writers should have a black screen with the words "We're so sorry" on it.

I watched dexter last night because i wanted to laugh after being so freaked out by breaking bad. When you have to watch Dexter to laugh, you know things are horribly wrong

creep
Site Admin

#65 Post by creep » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:33 pm

how does it make sense that he left that dude alive? he knows about dexter and would tell the police that he is a killer. am i missing something? not killing hime made no sense at all. i hope that hurricane hits and kills everyone that was ever on the series.

Pandemonium

#66 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:33 am

creep wrote:how does it make sense that he left that dude alive? he knows about dexter and would tell the police that he is a killer. am i missing something? not killing hime made no sense at all. i hope that hurricane hits and kills everyone that was ever on the series.
This kind of shit just bugs me on some sort of primal OCD level, especially when the basic premise of the show is police/investigative stuff. I mean, "hey Deb, let's go outside and BS for a couple minutes while we have that deviously clever, dangerous killer strapped to a chair inside next to a table of knives!" Of course the Fed agent goes to the hospital *alone,* not recognize that Saxon, a wanted man all over the news is the guy strapped in the chair.... and sets him free?!? Same with the private investigator obviously breaking into Debs house (good thing she wasn't there) to access her laptop to get the flight info without a warrant which would totally invalidate any case they'd build against her like harboring a fugitive. These kinds of lazy lapses of logic happen every 5 minutes on this show. But to be fair, once in a blue moon I'll watch something like Bones or one of the dozens of CSI offshoots with my wife and the same kind of wtf!?! moments happen all the time too.

Hype

#67 Post by Hype » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:48 am

Pandemonium wrote:
creep wrote:how does it make sense that he left that dude alive? he knows about dexter and would tell the police that he is a killer. am i missing something? not killing hime made no sense at all. i hope that hurricane hits and kills everyone that was ever on the series.
This kind of shit just bugs me on some sort of primal OCD level, especially when the basic premise of the show is police/investigative stuff. I mean, "hey Deb, let's go outside and BS for a couple minutes while we have that deviously clever, dangerous killer strapped to a chair inside next to a table of knives!" Of course the Fed agent goes to the hospital *alone,* not recognize that Saxon, a wanted man all over the news is the guy strapped in the chair.... and sets him free?!? Same with the private investigator obviously breaking into Debs house (good thing she wasn't there) to access her laptop to get the flight info without a warrant which would totally invalidate any case they'd build against her like harboring a fugitive. These kinds of lazy lapses of logic happen every 5 minutes on this show. But to be fair, once in a blue moon I'll watch something like Bones or one of the dozens of CSI offshoots with my wife and the same kind of wtf!?! moments happen all the time too.
Good writing is extremely difficult (I can say from the experience of trying to publish academically). Good writers are exceedingly rare, and I suspect Dexter's brilliance was due to the competent writing of the author of the books, allowing mediocre writers to create something that was beyond them. Now that they're on their own, having extended the show because of good ratings, rather than story, they've turned it into a pile of shit. Even if the acting were good (which it isn't), that would only carry it so far.

chaos

#68 Post by chaos » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
This kind of shit just bugs me on some sort of primal OCD level, especially when the basic premise of the show is police/investigative stuff.
^

Also, what about the fact that little Harrison might say something about Hannah. I can't remember whether someone had a discussion with him that Hannah is a secret, as if that matters.

And Hannah isn't bothering to disguise herself.

And . . . we could go on and on. :lol:

chaos

#69 Post by chaos » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:09 pm

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/09/naming ... on-dexter/

Naming Names: Holding Accountable The People Most Responsible For The Last Season Of ‘Dexter’
BY DUSTIN ROWLES / 09.13.13

It’s been a terrible, awful, no good final season of Dexter. This is not really up for debate: It has been objectively bad. In fact, even on comment threads and message boards created for fans of Dexter, the show is getting brutalized. One of my favorite things to see in those threads — especially the Dexter subreddit — is the occasional diehard Dexter fan who comes out and try to defend this season. “It’s not so bad!” they will say, and 50 other Dexter fans will absolutely cream them.

When your rabid fanbase has left your side, you know there’s a huge problem. This is way worse than the final season of Chuck, when half the people who had fought so hard to save the show were like, “Oh, that’s cool. No worries” when NBC finally cancelled the series. This season of Dexter has been a complete failure, top to bottom.

But you know what? Vince Gilligan — and the writers and actors on Breaking Bad — have been given an immense amount of credit for their amazing contributions to the final season of the series. It’s been a collaborative process, and Gilligan has taken pains to single out those responsible for it. But nobody is really calling out the individuals responsible for the final season of Dexter. Ninety-eight percent of viewers agree that it’s been a bad season, and yet, no one is wagging their fingers at specific individuals.

It’s time to assign blame. These people need to be held accountable, just as much as those on Breaking Bad should be praised. If you do good work, it should be recognized. If you do bad work, you should be called out for it. So that’s what we’re going to do below: Here are the individual most directly responsible for a bad final season of Dexter.

1. David Nevins, President of Entertainment Showtime Networks — I know that Dexter is the highest rated television series in the history of Showtime, and that inexplicably, its ratings only increased throughout its run, but David Nevins should’ve been able to look past the easy money, and look instead of the reputation of both a once-great series and the network, as a whole. Showtime is going to be linked to Dexter for years, and for years, people are going to strongly consider what the network allowed to happen to Dexter before subscribing to the channel. “Hey, honey! I hear there’s a new drama on Showtime with Lizzy Caplan and Michael Sheen! Should we keep our Showtime subscription?” “Why? I don’t trust Showtime, after that terrible last season of Dexter, why should I?” David Nevins should’ve canned the series at least three years ago. He and the network allowed greed to get ahead of the quality and image.

2. Scott Buck, Showrunner for Dexter — Scott Buck was a writer on Six Feet Under, having joined that series in its second season (note: He was not part of the first season, one of the greatest seasons of television ever). He took over as showrunner in season six of Dexter, the Colin Hanks year, which you may recall was the second worst season until this final season came along. Why would Showtime entrust their highest-rated, most acclaimed series to the guy who wrote Tremors 4: The Legend Begins is a complete mystery to me. He, however, is clearly bad at his job, and should’ve been fired after season six. Either he had no interest in creating good television, or he simply doesn’t recognize good television. Whatever the case, he obviously did not put in the work and effort required of a show of Dexter’s caliber.

3. Michael C. Hall — I like Michael Hall. I think he can be a terrific actor, as demonstrated by his six Emmy nominations. He didn’t write the episodes, so it’s hard to blame him completely for the lack of quality and creativity. But, if you’ve heard him in interviews, he speaks of this season of Dexter with a kind of indifference. He’s admitted himself that you can only do the same thing so many times. As an executive producer and the face of the series, Michael C. Hall had a responsibility to the viewers of Dexter to demand better written episodes, to not do the same thing again (how many serial killers can Dexter meet who is he spiritually connected to?). At some point, he should’ve said, “This is not working. Let’s scrap it and start fresh, and bring in some new writers.” He should be held accountable for his failure to do so, in addition to his lackadaisical performances this season.

4. Steve Shill — Shill is a longtime television director, and he’s directed a lot of television episodes, including several episodes of Dexter, Deadwood and The Wire. He also directed last week’s episode, Goodbye Miami, and is set to direct the series finale. He should know better. The scene with Harrison on the treadmill was terribly, terribly written, but a good director might have been able to make it a little less embarrassing than this:

That is bad directing, plain and simple, and the blame falls squarely on Shill’s shoulders.

5. Jace Richdale and Scott Reynolds — These two were the writers on last week’s episode, Goodbye Miami, and this Sunday’s episode, as well as several other episodes this season. They are responsible for not only the worst episode in a season of bad episodes, but the worst episode in Dexter history. They thought it was a good idea for Hannah McKay — a fugitive whose face had been plastered all over Miami — to take Harrison to a hospital for a chin injury that required only six stitches. That’s just the most egregious problem in an episode full of problems. Scott Reynolds has been working on Dexter since 2007, and should know better. Jace Richdale has been a television writer for 20 years, mostly for (bad) comedies, like Cavemen. He shouldn’t have even had a seat at the writers’ table.

6. Jennifer Yale — Oh, you didn’t think I’d forget about you, did you Ms. Yale? Jennifer Yale’s only previous experience as a writer was as the head writer of Harper’s Globe, a web series designed to complement the quickly cancelled and very bad Harper’s Island. She has also written an episode of Jakers! The Adventures of Piggley Winks. She is a staff writer on Dexter brought in for the final season. Her name is on every episode of Dexter this season. My guess is that she was responsible for keeping the series’ long storyline in order, and ensuring that there were no lapses in logic between episodes. Jennifer Yale did not do a very good job of that.

Here is a list of other names, who have written and/or directed episodes of Dexter this season that should be called into account. They have all played a role — big or small — in the complete annihilation of Dexter this season.

Keith Gordon (director), Manny Coto (writer), Michael C. Hall (in his capacity as a director), Lauren Gussis (writer), Ernest Dickerson (director), Tim Schlattmann (writer), Stefan Schwartz (director), Romeo Tirone (director), John Dahl (director), Alik Sakharov (director), Arika Lisanne Mittman (writer), Holly Dale (director), Wendy West (writer), Karen Campbell.

blackula

#70 Post by blackula » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:1. Ray Donovan is awesome

2. I'll bet they go the "It was all just a dream" route. The entire series will have been just a bunch of imaginary stories happening in the head of a psychopath named Dexter Moser who is on death row. Harry never adopted him. Dexter started getting in trouble for killing animals as a young child and took his first life at 17. Was finally caught at 19 after murdering 30 people. Avoided the death penalty due to reasons of insanity and now spends the rest of his life in solitary confinement, dreaming of what he could have become and the family he could have had if only someone had rescued him and loved him. That's the only way I see this ending, and how they can explain all the plot holes of people just randomly dying and Dexter continuously getting away with it all. It also would explain why Harry's ghost keeps talking to him. Harry is probably just the cop he remembers pulling him from the blood as a child. It still haunts him because Harry was the only person who ever "saved" him. Big reveal: The cop who saved him wasn't even named Harry.
1. First 4 episodes are cool, gotta watch 5 to whatever its up to

2. I fucking hope so. Juana has posted the idea of a dream type ending too. I hope that's how it ends, it's the only way to explain the horrible storytelling and plot holes. The "all a dream ending" is always frowned upon, but here it may be the only redeemable way to end it.

farrellgirl99

#71 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:36 pm

chaos wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
This kind of shit just bugs me on some sort of primal OCD level, especially when the basic premise of the show is police/investigative stuff.
^

Also, what about the fact that little Harrison might say something about Hannah. I can't remember whether someone had a discussion with him that Hannah is a secret, as if that matters.

And Hannah isn't bothering to disguise herself.

And . . . we could go on and on. :lol:
UGH the harrison thing!!!

You have a four year old who hasn't brought up hannah to anyone when he wants her to be his mom?!!!!!!! Even to Jaime?!

I'm going to be so happy when this series is over and I can stop losing brain cells and getting angry with it.

Hype

#72 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:35 am

I can stop losing brain cells and getting angry with it.
Do you mean drinking heavily and throwing shit in the general direction of the TV?

chaos

#73 Post by chaos » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:43 pm

So the finale fit perfectly with the rest of this garbage season :banghead: ;however, I did think that the scene at the end (with the boat, storm, body/sheet) was beautifully shot.

Here is the ending that Clyde Phillips had in mind (but then again he may have had a different/much better finale season in mind):
http://www.eonline.com/news/461558/chil ... rit=146431
Clyde Phillips served as an executive producer and showrunner on Dexter in the early years, helping shape the series for its first four seasons until he decided to leave the show in late 2009, at the end of the Trinity Killer (John Lithgow) season, which ended with Rita's shocking death.

I tracked down Phillips, who now serves as executive producer of Showtime's Nurse Jackie, and asked (OK, possibly begged) him to share what he had planned for the very end of Dexter...assuming he had one.

Turns out, he did have a very specific ending in mind, and it's possibly one of the best series-finale ideas I've ever heard.

"I haven't shared this with anyone," Philips told me. "And I can tell you that this is what I personally would have done should I have stayed with the show. I chose not to stay with the show, and so everybody did what they did, and I had no problem with that…and I think they did a good job with the final episode. But here is what I personally would have pitched."

"In the very last scene of the series," Philips explained, "Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.

"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."

Pandemonium

#74 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:35 pm

chaos wrote:So the finale fit perfectly with the rest of this garbage season :banghead: ;however, I did think that the scene at the end (with the boat, storm, body/sheet) was beautifully shot.

Here is the ending that Clyde Phillips had in mind (but then again he may have had a different/much better finale season in mind):
[url]"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."
That would have been a near-perfect ending. It figures that came from the guy who clearly was responsible for much of the quality of the show and those aspects left with him after season 4.

I agree tonight's finale was pretty lousy. Not piss-me-off terrible or stupid fuckin' wrong like some other series-enders have been, but more or less just "meh" like the rest of this season. Around mid-show, I was getting a little concerned that my WTF plot guess I posted a week ago in this thread was unfolding almost exactly as I wrote it.

creep
Site Admin

#75 Post by creep » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:38 pm

i'm not in the the series like you guys but i felt no emotion at all when deb died.

nice father he is...bailing on his kid.