Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
SR

Re: Your favorite "Eric and Handsome Mike" encounters

#151 Post by SR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:57 am

In the end, it was the band who made it a waste of time. I didn't always agree with your decisions over there, but you laid some real inroads to credibility with the interview and other things. :rockon: Really, anyone who runs these boards should get some credit as it's just a place to gather for some really good people with diverse backstories and a few dimwit punks. I get real weary with the comparisons; sometimes we just need to get out of the sandbox.

:oldtimer:

sonny

#152 Post by sonny » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:12 am

SR wrote:In the end, it was the band who made it a waste of time. I didn't always agree with your decisions over there, but you laid some real inroads to credibility with the interview and other things. :rockon: Really, anyone who runs these boards should get some credit as it's just a place to gather for some really good people with diverse backstories and a few dimwit punks. I get real weary with the comparisons; sometimes we just need to get out of the sandbox.

i agree, the comparisons aren't always fair. some of it's the era. i just know i worked hard to keep things interesting. i worked hard to talk to band members or people related to them without being compromised by that contact. i even worked hard working out a concise amount of boards to discuss things. whether we needed a whole new section for a specific discussion is something i watched and worked on for years to get just the right amount of sections to discuss stuff, so it's not too many or that one section is too broad or too many threads. i worked on themes, colors, the right width of the board so most people could view it.

the titles of the sections. i spent a good bit of time just working on which smilies would work, which ones weren't being used, so you didn't have to sort through hundreds of smilies.

i tried a lot of different stuff over the years that people just do now. erik and mike included, just cop what i did and make it their own shit.

maybe i belly ached over the small stuff more than i should have, but i think it made for a good experience.

the progress is just passed along. all the work erik and mike just copied from my site and gavin's site and various others is just used without regard. someone could easily grab the info from erik and mike's site and use it for yet another JA site and they just might feel the way i do about all those years of gathering jane's addiction shit to share with folks and now anyone can grab that hard work, put it up and say "look how easy it is to run a jane's addiction site, he's just bitter that it's so easy for us to do". yeah, it's easy, because the grunt work has been done for the last decade by other folks.

SR

#153 Post by SR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:30 am

Never occurred to me. As a dinosaur member, and a remedial computer person, I just never thought about the minutia. Financial burdens I understand, so when that issue comes up, I try to step up a bit though.

Juana

#154 Post by Juana » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:41 am

SR wrote:Never occurred to me. As a dinosaur member, and a remedial computer person, I just never thought about the minutia. Financial burdens I understand, so when that issue comes up, I try to step up a bit though.
I agree here.

SR

#155 Post by SR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:53 am

Juana wrote:
SR wrote:Never occurred to me. As a dinosaur member, and a remedial computer person, I just never thought about the minutia. Financial burdens I understand, so when that issue comes up, I try to step up a bit though.
I agree here.
I'll wager you're better with these machines.

Juana

#156 Post by Juana » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:14 am

Honestly I'm not, I just use Google and find some kid's Youtube of how to computer and learn that way. I'm good with recording software and POS type software because I have to be but the rest of this.. I get pissed and use Google like everyone else :lolol:

But honestly the web, I have learned all kinds of cool shit on the web.

Pandemonium

#157 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:45 am

Juana wrote:Honestly I'm not, I just use Google and find some kid's Youtube of how to computer and learn that way. I'm good with recording software and POS type software because I have to be but the rest of this.. I get pissed and use Google like everyone else :lolol:

But honestly the web, I have learned all kinds of cool shit on the web.
I learned how to install a toilet.

creep
Site Admin

#158 Post by creep » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:50 pm

sonny wrote:
my original prediction was more about trying to relay how hard i worked on xiola.org to be a relevant jane's addiction site and that it couldn't just be moved to a new domain under different management and be the same. xiola.org as a site, meant something to me once, but on reflection i can only say it looks like a huge waste of time which is all on me.
i think i can speak for hoka too...we put absolutely zero work and effort in this site. :tiphat:

it's just a message board where a bunch of people that once had something in common ended up. that's it. i don't think either of us ever wanted to make it anything more.

sonny

#159 Post by sonny » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:23 am

creep wrote:
sonny wrote:
my original prediction was more about trying to relay how hard i worked on xiola.org to be a relevant jane's addiction site and that it couldn't just be moved to a new domain under different management and be the same. xiola.org as a site, meant something to me once, but on reflection i can only say it looks like a huge waste of time which is all on me.
i think i can speak for hoka too...we put absolutely zero work and effort in this site. :tiphat:

it's just a message board where a bunch of people that once had something in common ended up. that's it. i don't think either of us ever wanted to make it anything more.
i completely understand. it's a smart way to do things. again, with hindsight i wish i had been less involved, but i'm not sure it would've lasted or been near as interesting considering the subjects we were covering.

it's hard to relay an experience from my point of view. my fault.

kv

#160 Post by kv » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:58 am

naw thats a fair point back in xiola's heyday it was way more about jane's then it is now (obviously) but i also remember a point when 1% was the site for jane's and xiola was the fun hangout...so everything cycles

good to see you posting with your six shooters in their holsters :tiphat:

Juana

#161 Post by Juana » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:56 am

I think Sonny was definitely in it for the love of the band. Personally I honestly stopped caring as much about them after the split after Strays. I have come to enjoy the banter about other stuff much more than the husk that JA became.

SR

#162 Post by SR » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:33 pm

From afar (fb, here), dude's like a teddy bear......good family, friends, conscious of fair treatment......but then can strike like a rattler. :lol:

CaseyContrarian

#163 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:26 pm

sonny wrote:
SR wrote:In the end, it was the band who made it a waste of time. I didn't always agree with your decisions over there, but you laid some real inroads to credibility with the interview and other things. :rockon: Really, anyone who runs these boards should get some credit as it's just a place to gather for some really good people with diverse backstories and a few dimwit punks. I get real weary with the comparisons; sometimes we just need to get out of the sandbox.

i agree, the comparisons aren't always fair. some of it's the era. i just know i worked hard to keep things interesting. i worked hard to talk to band members or people related to them without being compromised by that contact. i even worked hard working out a concise amount of boards to discuss things. whether we needed a whole new section for a specific discussion is something i watched and worked on for years to get just the right amount of sections to discuss stuff, so it's not too many or that one section is too broad or too many threads. i worked on themes, colors, the right width of the board so most people could view it.

the titles of the sections. i spent a good bit of time just working on which smilies would work, which ones weren't being used, so you didn't have to sort through hundreds of smilies.

i tried a lot of different stuff over the years that people just do now. erik and mike included, just cop what i did and make it their own shit.

maybe i belly ached over the small stuff more than i should have, but i think it made for a good experience.

the progress is just passed along. all the work erik and mike just copied from my site and gavin's site and various others is just used without regard. someone could easily grab the info from erik and mike's site and use it for yet another JA site and they just might feel the way i do about all those years of gathering jane's addiction shit to share with folks and now anyone can grab that hard work, put it up and say "look how easy it is to run a jane's addiction site, he's just bitter that it's so easy for us to do". yeah, it's easy, because the grunt work has been done for the last decade by other folks.
This is called running a website. And maybe having a smidge of ADD or HFA (co-presentations are common, though only the latter is neuropatypical). Anyway, to do it well does require a huge amount of attention to detail, and to bring soul to it--which I think was Sonny's game--necessitates a bit more than just coding and aesthetics, the majority of which is at the disposal of a marginally-sophisticated eight year-old.

We have the board we have for the times we have.

Salut to Sonny for his contributions, integrity and vision. I'm so glad to hear from him, even as a decade+ lurker who only found his balls here.

Larry B.

#164 Post by Larry B. » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Larry B. wrote:I used to visit this awesome Green Day board and it was awesome. Everyone was awesome, basically because Green Day was awesome, much better than many other bands, especially NIN and Van Halen (just to name a few.) Billie Joe Armstrong is a makeup genius.

I don't care what you say, Hoka. Green Day rules.
I'm baffled by this post. Why did I say that? It's got nothing to do with anything.

JOEinPHX

#165 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:10 pm

I'm baffled by why you bumped a 4 year old thread. haha :lol:

sinep

#166 Post by sinep » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:16 pm

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this.