off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
SR

Re: First World Problem of the Day

#51 Post by SR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:48 pm

Proffs banging students are losers

Artemis

#52 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Earlier today, I had trouble hailing a cab because of cyclists blocking my view. I'd stick my arm out to indicate my interest in a passing taxi, but the drivers couldn't see me or get over to the curb. After about 15 minutes, I finally got one. Perhaps bike lanes would help to alleviate this problem.

nausearockpig

#53 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:50 pm

SR wrote:Proffs banging students are losers
Exactly why they need to sleep with their profs to get good grades... cos they're dumb losers... :lolol:

creep
Site Admin

#54 Post by creep » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:55 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Exactly why they need to sleep with their profs to get good grades... cos they're dumb losers... :lolol:
i doubt it's to get good grades. it's sort of a power thing. have you ever worked with females and are in some sort of management type position? it happens all of the time and earlier in my career i witnessed it quite a bit.

obviously i assume most universities have policies against it but i wonder if professors are actually fired for it. i google searched it:
I'm a professor and I have been shocked at how often this does happen. Although, the cases I've heard of usually involve older students, not freshmen.

From what I've seen, it happens much more in departments where students and professors have to spend a lot of time together. For example, people spend a lot of time on field trips and in labs in my department, and things happen on the trips or when people are working together alone in labs. Many of the professors are married to former grad students! But in departments like English, where professors and students work alone more, I think this kind of thing happens less often.

It happens much less often nowadays than it used to, because many universities have strict policies against it. If I were you, I would NEVER flirt with a professor because he will probably worry that you will sue him for sexual harassment and react VERY badly towards you. The fallout could really hurt your future career and his. Also, people will not respect you if they find out about it. Any professor who actually WOULD get into any kind of relationship with a student these days is taking a huge risk. The professors I know of still do this sort of thing are always pretty weird and immature, and not the kind of people you should get involved with.

Students often think because of movies that professors would love to have sex with a hot student. But the professors I know really don't spend a lot of time thinking about their students--except for the few I mentioned above who don't have great judgment. College students are very young. Most professors are more interested in people who have graduated. A lot of the student - professor relationships I know of started because the professor liked having someone to talk to about his work, not because of the "hot student" stereotype. I have seen a lot of students embarrass themselves because they think all professors want a hot college student. So don't flirt with your professors!

So, it happens... But much less than it did. And the consequences are so severe for any professor caught in a relationship with a student (or vice versa) that a professor would have to be crazy to take the risk. Good luck at university.

nausearockpig

#55 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:59 pm

creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
i doubt it's to get good grades. it's sort of a power thing. have you ever worked with females and are in some sort of management type position? it happens all of the time and earlier in my career i witnessed it quite a bit.

obviously i assume most universities have policies against it but i wonder if professors are actually fired for it. i google searched it:
I'm a professor and I have been shocked at how often this does happen. Although, the cases I've heard of usually involve older students, not freshmen.

From what I've seen, it happens much more in departments where students and professors have to spend a lot of time together. For example, people spend a lot of time on field trips and in labs in my department, and things happen on the trips or when people are working together alone in labs. Many of the professors are married to former grad students! But in departments like English, where professors and students work alone more, I think this kind of thing happens less often.

It happens much less often nowadays than it used to, because many universities have strict policies against it. If I were you, I would NEVER flirt with a professor because he will probably worry that you will sue him for sexual harassment and react VERY badly towards you. The fallout could really hurt your future career and his. Also, people will not respect you if they find out about it. Any professor who actually WOULD get into any kind of relationship with a student these days is taking a huge risk. The professors I know of still do this sort of thing are always pretty weird and immature, and not the kind of people you should get involved with.

Students often think because of movies that professors would love to have sex with a hot student. But the professors I know really don't spend a lot of time thinking about their students--except for the few I mentioned above who don't have great judgment. College students are very young. Most professors are more interested in people who have graduated. A lot of the student - professor relationships I know of started because the professor liked having someone to talk to about his work, not because of the "hot student" stereotype. I have seen a lot of students embarrass themselves because they think all professors want a hot college student. So don't flirt with your professors!

So, it happens... But much less than it did. And the consequences are so severe for any professor caught in a relationship with a student (or vice versa) that a professor would have to be crazy to take the risk. Good luck at university.
You'd have to be a fucking lunatic to root a student and think that it won't come back to haunt you...

SR

#56 Post by SR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Larry B.

#57 Post by Larry B. » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:50 pm

creep wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:The worst part about being any kind of teacher is the infinite ways in which the kids let you down in mind-numbingly stupid pseudo-clever tricky ways, and the way the administration of educational institutions sets things up to force educators to simultaneously try to help the institution appear as if it takes academic dishonesty, talent, ability, learning, etc., seriously, when all that really matters is recruitment, retainment, and getting people to pay as much money as possible. It's a really fucked up kind of stress. It obviously has analogues in other occupations, but it's so fucked up for it to occur in education... and that no one seems capable of doing anything about it.
but the opportunity to sleep with coeds far outweigh the negatives.

i always wondered if a professor could be fired for that because it happens all of the time in movies. even ross on friends was sleeping with a student i think. it seems to ba accepted. :noclue:
I have not known ONE university professor (aside from my friend) who has not shagged a student. All of my teachers when I studied music did it, and all my acquaintances who teach have done it. And in senior year of high school, a teacher fucked one of my classmates. She loved it. Oh, and when I taught drums, my only female student came on to me quite openly... I didn't give in and that was the last class I gave her. When I taught bass though, I ended up in a long term relationship with my only female student.

So yeah, it happens A LOT.

Hype

#58 Post by Hype » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:56 pm

It's not rare, but it's not as common as Larry makes it seem. I've heard rumours of a number of cases, and am fairly certain of two or three, one of which is actually just a former student now long-term dating a prof. Teaching assistants have been known to end up dating their students and in a number of cases I can think of it has gone well (and a few others where it didn't).

There's a recent case that was getting a lot of press, of a somewhat famous philosophy professor who basically seems to have used his power to engage in workplace harassment of his own graduate student. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/03/arts/ ... .html?_r=0 (In this case, we have emails, and the guy's own statements, that show that the dude clearly thought he was well within his rights to do what he was doing... it's very fucked up.)

But I gotta tell ya, having been a teaching assistant for 4+ years, and thus having tutored, lectured, etc., somewhere on the order of 400+ students, about half of whom were teenage girls... for one of my ilk to be in any way tempted to go down that path... either he's a single guy who's too nerdy/smart/ugly/whatever to get hit on at bars, or his peers (or all of them might be taken), or whatever, or he's a married/taken guy who's basically a dick who doesn't give a shit to begin with, in which case it's only a matter of time before he gets a reputation.

There are rare exceptions, but the conditions under which these obtain are extremely narrow (one case I can think of involved an undergrad girl who is now an excellent graduate student, and was only a year behind to begin with...)

nausearockpig

#59 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Plus Larry is in South America.. any-fucking-thing goes there and is accepted as OK... for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corralito

I remember in 2003 being in the main drag of the tourist strip in Buenos Aires and standing outside the CitiBank branch which was encased in temporary fencing cos the locals had cracked the shits and attacked the outlet... it was on Florida... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Street

SR

#60 Post by SR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:36 pm

I taught for a decade and never once. I have maintained many friendships with proffs of mine and absurd as it is to universalize based on my narrow experience, none of my friends have. Stupid predatory behavior by fuckwits who mid use their stature (what's left of it) to get laid. Puleeze. Have fun being the one they grow up to comprehensively tegret

Hype

#61 Post by Hype » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:01 pm

Yeah. Frankly the sheer volume of ignorance, stupidity, and the stark age-intelligence gap combination are enough to make most undergrads complete non-entities for nearly all profs. Grad students are another matter altogether... but that's also a much more dangerous game, depending on how it's being played. (The former-student/prof thing seems to be permissible, and only moderately frowned upon, especially if there's no evidence of impropriety/deceit...)

Similarly, I also don't understand grad students who treat their supervisors like close friends. I treat my supervisor like any other boss, and we're both hetero males, but it just seems like anything but professionalism would be stupid. Friendship can happen later when I have tenure and don't need to maintain a certain reputation to ensure a solid reference letter anymore.

Corollary: I don't understand why employees would ever assume they're friends with their bosses (and vice versa). I think that was a topic of discussion here a few years ago, and I still stand by it... it can work out okay in some cases by luck, but it's just not a good bet.

Essence_Smith

#62 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:16 pm

A friend of mine (female) was recently involved in a scandal where she slept with a student...the more effed up thing was she taught high school and the kid was 16-17 at the time...she ended up getting 10 years probation, is some kinda low level sex offender and lost her teachers license...her husband has also left her...she's completely done I think...

Hype

#63 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:A friend of mine (female) was recently involved in a scandal where she slept with a student...the more effed up thing was she taught high school and the kid was 16-17 at the time...she ended up getting 10 years probation, is some kinda low level sex offender and lost her teachers license...her husband has also left her...she's completely done I think...
I don't know why it isn't obvious that no one should sleep with their subordinates/superiors in any kind of professional setting... not because it *couldn't* work out, but because the risks are enormous and the potential payoff is stupid given how simple it would be to get what you want eventually anyway.

It's also obvious that if you put enough members of any species together in confined spaces over extended periods of time, you'll get some of them fucking each other... but we probably should try to avoid it when it's a matter of integrity, power-differentials, etc.

clickie

#64 Post by clickie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:25 pm

That friend of yours knew the consiquences so I dont feel bad for them.

perkana

#65 Post by perkana » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:05 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Yeah. Frankly the sheer volume of ignorance, stupidity, and the stark age-intelligence gap combination are enough to make most undergrads complete non-entities for nearly all profs. Grad students are another matter altogether... but that's also a much more dangerous game, depending on how it's being played. (The former-student/prof thing seems to be permissible, and only moderately frowned upon, especially if there's no evidence of impropriety/deceit...)

Similarly, I also don't understand grad students who treat their supervisors like close friends. I treat my supervisor like any other boss, and we're both hetero males, but it just seems like anything but professionalism would be stupid. Friendship can happen later when I have tenure and don't need to maintain a certain reputation to ensure a solid reference letter anymore.

Corollary: I don't understand why employees would ever assume they're friends with their bosses (and vice versa). I think that was a topic of discussion here a few years ago, and I still stand by it... it can work out okay in some cases by luck, but it's just not a good bet.
I agree, I think that's the reason I had problems with my last supervisor. He kept mentioning to me why I didn't like him. And yesterday someone asked me if he had a thing for me, cause I just found out about something really terrible, but I'm glad I got safely out of the whole thing.

Hype

#66 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:17 pm

That's fucked up. Sorry you had even that kind of weird shit. It bugs the shit out of me how women are treated in academia, or just that the default has to be hyper-alert caution. Even smart people are stupid. :balls: :dunce:

perkana

#67 Post by perkana » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:19 pm

Yeah, worst thing was that I have been always diplomatic about it, never said a thing, but when they blamed everything on me, I had to say something. It never went that far as sexual harrassment, but most people I told them about it, thought it had to do something about that and that I was lucky to leave and move on elsewhere.

Essence_Smith

#68 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:06 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:A friend of mine (female) was recently involved in a scandal where she slept with a student...the more effed up thing was she taught high school and the kid was 16-17 at the time...she ended up getting 10 years probation, is some kinda low level sex offender and lost her teachers license...her husband has also left her...she's completely done I think...
I don't know why it isn't obvious that no one should sleep with their subordinates/superiors in any kind of professional setting... not because it *couldn't* work out, but because the risks are enormous and the potential payoff is stupid given how simple it would be to get what you want eventually anyway.

It's also obvious that if you put enough members of any species together in confined spaces over extended periods of time, you'll get some of them fucking each other... but we probably should try to avoid it when it's a matter of integrity, power-differentials, etc.
People like her tend not to think about the consequences...I feel bad for her husband and her kid...another fucked up part is she and the kid had something like over a thousand texts back and forth in a few months and were friends on facebook, etc...so it was pretty much an easy case to try...it was in all the papers etc...so REALLY I have no clue what she was thinking...
clickie wrote:That friend of yours knew the consiquences so I dont feel bad for them.
Oh trust me I don't...it's one of the dumbest things an educator on any level can do imo...thinking back to high school, we did have a teacher who was messing with a girl...he quit the teaching gig and actually got with her after she turned 18, though I have no clue how it worked out...

clickie

#69 Post by clickie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:26 pm

My highschool had one science teacher who was forced to quit because he had an affair with a student, and then our girls swim coach got fired because he'd go in the shower room with them and slap their asses.

clickie

#70 Post by clickie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:31 pm

This was just during my tenure who knows what the hell went on the other years,

Romeo

#71 Post by Romeo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:48 am

I want this car. It's a great price. Low mileage.

I need the down payment :sad:

tvrec

#72 Post by tvrec » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Romeo wrote:Image

I want this car. It's a great price. Low mileage.

I need the down payment :sad:
That's a beauty. I love SAABs. Lost mine last February in an auto accident and have had a lingering depression about it ever since. I try to tell myself that the electric convertible 9-3 is launching soon (but probably will never actually roll out) and that I just need to wait it out.

Romeo

#73 Post by Romeo » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 am

Are SAAB's still going to be available in the US?

That car is beautiful and totally impractical. lol :lol:
I really should get a more practical car. But for 49,000 miles it is actually going for under 10G's and it certified used. How could I possibly say no :wink:

creep
Site Admin

#74 Post by creep » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:10 am

this is a question for the girls here. do you think that there is probably something wrong with a guy that owns a convertible? it seems to be only acceptable if it's a classic car. i owned many international scouts (they are suv's) and the top bolts off. i loved those trucks and hope to own one again some day. i also want a ford falcon convertible.

tvrec

#75 Post by tvrec » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:25 am

Romeo wrote:Are SAAB's still going to be available in the US?

That car is beautiful and totally impractical. lol :lol:
I really should get a more practical car. But for 49,000 miles it is actually going for under 10G's and it certified used. How could I possibly say no :wink:
Projected North American availability of any new SAAB that may see the light of day seems to fluctuate on a weekly basis. It's only been 9 months or so that parts have become more available since the bankruptcy asset freeze. One of the saddest stories I read was how the final US shipment was frozen on the docks in New Jersey, rotting in limbo as the company was liquidated/sold: http://jalopnik.com/5897732/the-last-sa ... ersey-port

One thing to bear in mind with SAABs is the repair costs. They're not cheap to keep running.