What are you reading?

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Artemis

What are you reading?

#1 Post by Artemis » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:47 pm

At the moment I'm not reading anything.

Recently I read So Much for That by Lionel Shriver
From the acclaimed author of the New York Times bestseller The Post-Birthday World comes a searing, ruthlessly honest new novel about a marriage both stressed and strengthened by the demands of serious illness.

Shep Knacker has long saved for "The Afterlife": an idyllic retreat to the Third World where his nest egg can last forever. Traffic jams on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway will be replaced with "talking, thinking, seeing, and being"—and enough sleep. When he sells his home repair business for a cool million dollars, his dream finally seems within reach. Yet Glynis, his wife of twenty-six years, has concocted endless excuses why it's never the right time to go. Weary of working as a peon for the jerk who bought his company, Shep announces he's leaving for a Tanzanian island, with or without her.

Just returned from a doctor's appointment, Glynis has some news of her own: Shep can't go anywhere because she desperately needs his health insurance. But their policy only partially covers the staggering bills for her treatments, and Shep's nest egg for The Afterlife soon cracks under the strain.

Enriched with three medical subplots that also explore the human costs of American health care, So Much for That follows the profound transformation of a marriage, for which grave illness proves an unexpected opportunity for tenderness, renewed intimacy, and dry humor. In defiance of her dark subject matter, Shriver writes a page-turner that presses the question: How much is one life worth?

Juana

Re: What are you reading?

#2 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:44 pm

The way of Life by Lao Tzu

A book a Monk gave me recently at a festival

Some psych books for my semester starting on the 22nd of Aug

Larry B.

#3 Post by Larry B. » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:46 am

The New Spanish Orthography.

The Name of the Rose (I'm not really liking, so I will most likely not end it).

Some Intel internal documents (work).

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:53 am

Juana wrote:The way of Life by Lao Tzu
I believe this is one of many translations of the Tao Te Ching. A personal favorite of mine.

ellis

#5 Post by ellis » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Moby Duck: a book about the many people who tracked down 26K rubber ducky's that spilled out of a ship that was shipping them from China to the US. Really good book!

Book of Enoch
The Templar Code for Dummies
college books, etc

ant

#6 Post by ant » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm reading "And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks" by Kerouac/Burroughs. Each writer swapped chapters and also tells the story from a different character's perspective. It's sort of a beat mystery/noir story. I like both writers so I'm finding it to be pretty good and it's a quick read.

Juana

#7 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:20 pm

hokahey wrote:
Juana wrote:The way of Life by Lao Tzu
I believe this is one of many translations of the Tao Te Ching. A personal favorite of mine.
Yeah it is

Mescal

#8 Post by Mescal » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Larry B. wrote:
The Name of the Rose (I'm not really liking, so I will most likely not end it).

Apparently the beginning is really boring, but it gets really good around the middle of the book ....

That's what I heard, I started in it as well but never finished it.

I read To kill a mockingbird.

perkana

#9 Post by perkana » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm reading a history book...it's called "Dead amongst Mexicas" by Eduardo Matos Moctezuma. It pretty much explains mexicas and other mesoamerican cultures' cosmovision and makes a comparison with the bible and Dante's Divine Comedy. It's really interesting, love the stories about how women got pregnant (the earth godess got pregnant when a feather laid on her bossom, another lady got pregnant by the spit of a dead guy's head)

Japhy

#10 Post by Japhy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:40 pm

ant wrote:I'm reading "And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks" by Kerouac/Burroughs. Each writer swapped chapters and also tells the story from a different character's perspective. It's sort of a beat mystery/noir story. I like both writers so I'm finding it to be pretty good and it's a quick read.
I am a HUGE Kerouac fan so i'm maybe a little biased, but i absolutely love this book... and yeah, i also liked it because it is such a quick and easy read.

I'm currently reading Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. Very clever theme (your social status is defined by the colours that you can see) and it's also very amusing which was a surprise.

ant

#11 Post by ant » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Japhy wrote:
ant wrote:I'm reading "And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks" by Kerouac/Burroughs. Each writer swapped chapters and also tells the story from a different character's perspective. It's sort of a beat mystery/noir story. I like both writers so I'm finding it to be pretty good and it's a quick read.
I am a HUGE Kerouac fan so i'm maybe a little biased, but i absolutely love this book... and yeah, i also liked it because it is such a quick and easy read.
I'm actually a bigger Burroughs fan but I like a lot of Kerouac as well. Dharma Bums being one of my faves. :wink:

Japhy

#12 Post by Japhy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:00 pm

ant wrote:
Japhy wrote:
I'm actually a bigger Burroughs fan but I like a lot of Kerouac as well. Dharma Bums being one of my faves. :wink:
And it won't surprise you in the slightest that Dharma Bums is my favourite by a long stretch! I wanted to own a 1st ed for so long and finally got one some 4-5 years ago... just something about the story that really resonated. As soon as i've finished Shades of Grey though, i'm gonna pick Hippos up again for sure.

Artemis

#13 Post by Artemis » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Still not reading anything, but I do want to read Jeffrey Eugenides (Virgin Suicides, Middlesex) new book The Marriage Plot.

cursed male

#14 Post by cursed male » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:32 pm

'Stanley Kubrick: A Biography' by John Baxter

Jasper

#15 Post by Jasper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:55 pm

I can't read. Honestly, I'm actually dictating this post. Now put one of those sad faces. No, don't write it, click on the fucking face! Idiot! :cona:

Matz

#16 Post by Matz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:44 am

Kiedis's biography Scar Tissue

Larry B.

#17 Post by Larry B. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:36 pm

I've just bought John Swartzwelder's last 2 books for the Kindle. Following a recommendation by Hype, I ended up reading his first 5 Frank Burly books. They're unbelievably hilarious. I didn't pay for those first 5, and I feel comfortable enough paying 24 bucks for a total of 7 books.

I think the AVW files can be read in up to 3 or 5 devices, so if you're interested, let me know.

crater

#18 Post by crater » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:48 pm

I just ordered these two

ImageImage

Larry B.

#19 Post by Larry B. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:03 pm

crater wrote:I just ordered these two

Downloaded it, will give it a read someday :wave: (thank you)

chaos

#20 Post by chaos » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Larry B. wrote:
crater wrote:I just ordered these two

Downloaded it, will give it a read someday :wave: (thank you)
I just finished the novel Saturday written by Ian McEwan, the author who provided the brief review blurb on the cover of A Universe from Nothing.

jptm

#21 Post by jptm » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:12 pm

I just finished the Jobs bio & Micheal Connelly's 'The Drop' *big Bosch fan*... am now reading Stephen King's 'Lisey's Story'.

perkana

#22 Post by perkana » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm reading E.M. Forster's Howards End.

Japhy

#23 Post by Japhy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:44 pm

I'm currently working my way through the Jasper Fforde catalogue. I was loaned Shades of Grey and then discovered the rest from there - i'm currently on book 5 of the Thursday Next series. They're utterly bonkers and hilarious.

Artemis

#24 Post by Artemis » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:22 pm

Just started this:

Winner of the 2011
Scotiabank Giller Prize

Finalist for the Man Booker Prize

Finalist for the Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize

Finalist for the Governor General's
Literary Award for Fiction

Synopsis:
Berlin, 1939. A young, brilliant trumpet-player, Hieronymus, is arrested in a Paris cafe. The star musician was never heard from again. He was twenty years old. He was a German citizen. And he was black.

Fifty years later, Sidney Griffiths, the only witness that day, still refuses to speak of what he saw. When Chip Jones, his friend and fellow band member, comes to visit, recounting the discovery of a strange letter, Sid begins a slow journey towards redemption.

From the smoky bars of pre-war Berlin to the salons of Paris, Sid leads the reader through a fascinating, little-known world, and into the heart of his own guilty conscience.

Half-Blood Blues is an electric, heart-breaking story about music, race, love and loyalty, and the sacrifices we ask of ourselves, and demand of others, in the name of art.

blackula

#25 Post by blackula » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:11 pm

i recently read duff's book now i'm reading the 4th update of chomsky's 9-11 book, mainly interviews with noam that bring us to the bin laden killing.