Xizen47

Re: The Cops Behaving Badly Thread

#52 Post by Xizen47 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:20 pm

I can't believe this isn't bigger news?

blackcoffee

#53 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:12 pm

kv wrote:looks rough...but the asshole had already used his weapon...the car
I tend to agree. A lot of people could have been hurt or killed in this chase.

I think they're close to having devices that will send a pulse powerful enough to scramble the electrical components in someone's car effectively stopping it. That's what's coming, and what might end this kind of thing.

kv

#54 Post by kv » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:37 am

the prob with that is the car will then be out of control

blackcoffee

#55 Post by blackcoffee » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:28 pm

kv wrote:the prob with that is the car will then be out of control
I guess I imagine everything locking up, and coming to a halt, but I'm not taking into account how fast some of these chases are.

Larry B.

#56 Post by Larry B. » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:39 pm

Xizen47 wrote:I can't believe this isn't bigger news?
Yup. Outrageous.

kv

#57 Post by kv » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:18 am

it's on the news every fucking day....it's been pretty big news

Romeo

#58 Post by Romeo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:47 am

blackcoffee wrote:
kv wrote:the prob with that is the car will then be out of control
I guess I imagine everything locking up, and coming to a halt, but I'm not taking into account how fast some of these chases are.
doesn't lo jack have that? or On star?
Cars would need to be equipped

Pandemonium

#59 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:55 pm

Nothing epic here, but yesterday when we got back in to LA from Miami, my wife went to one of the long term lots to get our car while I picked up the luggage and wait for her to come back and pick me up outside the terminal at LAX....

I get out there with the luggage and I see about half a dozen LAPD and airport cops pulling scores of people over and ticketing for various little things. One woman was ticketed simple because she got out of her car (which was curbside, btw) to help her husband get their kids in the car while he was putting suitcases in the trunk - can't leave a car driver-less at any time in the terminal. It was causing a complete clusterfuck for everyone else awaiting curbside pickups. Anyone who knows what a mess LAX can be knows what I'm talking about. So I see my wife approaching to get me and is stuck in stopped traffic, and she's trying to sync her phone to the car (holding it in her hand) while waiting for the crosswalk to clear - a motorcycle cop pulls her over and tickets her right in front of me for cell phone use. He was a real dick about it too.

kv

#60 Post by kv » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:11 pm

exactly why i would never touch a cell phone while driving at lax...it's like the worlds worst speed trap for any infraction...tint...stereo loud...cell phone...raised trucks...no seat....whatever they can see they write there

Larry B.

#61 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 am

Bandit72

#62 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:40 am

What were they shooting him with? Rubber bullets? Was he dead?

Larry B.

#63 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:51 am

Bandit72 wrote:What were they shooting him with? Rubber bullets? Was he dead?
Here's a brief yet informative article: http://krqe.com/2014/03/21/apd-officer- ... justified/

Apparently, he was a homeless man who decided to sort of "set camp" in the middle of nowhere. He was, thus, "illegally camping." As police arrived to detain him, he allegedly pulled out a knife (I think you can see it in the video... the blade is like 3 inches long, if that.) Even though he didn't made any sudden movements or anything, he was tasered, shot with bean-bag rounds (whatever that is), and then bitten by a police dog.

The events after that are portrayed in the video. In the video, they shoot him with real bullets. As the guy turn his back to the officers, they fucking shot him.

So yeah, the guy was dead. They used the dog to bit him to confirm that he was gone.

"Illegally camping"... fucking hell.

wally

#64 Post by wally » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:24 am

Larry B. wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:What were they shooting him with? Rubber bullets? Was he dead?
Here's a brief yet informative article: http://krqe.com/2014/03/21/apd-officer- ... justified/

Apparently, he was a homeless man who decided to sort of "set camp" in the middle of nowhere. He was, thus, "illegally camping." As police arrived to detain him, he allegedly pulled out a knife (I think you can see it in the video... the blade is like 3 inches long, if that.) Even though he didn't made any sudden movements or anything, he was tasered, shot with bean-bag rounds (whatever that is), and then bitten by a police dog.

The events after that are portrayed in the video. In the video, they shoot him with real bullets. As the guy turn his back to the officers, they fucking shot him.

So yeah, the guy was dead. They used the dog to bit him to confirm that he was gone.

"Illegally camping"... fucking hell.
lol at your selective editing.

from the article you linked:

Boyd was arguing with police for more three hours last Sunday in the foothills after officers went to talk to him about illegally camping in open space.

"I’m almost going to kill you right now. Don’t give me another directive. Don’t attempt to give me, the Department of Defense, another directive,” said Boyd at the beginning of the incident.

Both attempted to speak with Boyd, however, Chief Eden says Boyd continued to threaten officers with death. Police also discovered that Boyd had a violent 20-year criminal history that included multiple incidents of violence against officers. Boyd’s history also showed years of mental health related concerns.

add to this the fact that he was holding a knife in each hand and you get what you see above.
arguing with a cop for hours and not complying with demands while armed... will get you shot every time.

btw a bean bag round is a less than lethal projectile fired from a shotgun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bean_bag_round

Larry B.

#65 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:51 am

Well, of course I was trying to make a point, just like the police are trying to make theirs by highlighting all the arguments that say "it's ok that they killed him."

I repeat: the guy was camping in the middle of nowhere. The police came to detain him (surely a priority,) and since he pulled out a 3-inch knife and said "I'm going to kill you" (said, not attempted nor even pretended to attempt), when the guy turned his back to the police to walk away, they shot him and killed him. One of the shooters says "boo-yah!", for fucks sake.

I've been vocally threatened a few times in my life ("you wanna die?" and "I'm gonna fucking shoot you", amongst others,) and I've had the logic to assess the situation and realize that their words are not really a threat. If a homeless man is 12 feet away from me, holding a knife that seriously, my limp penis is bigger than that, I just know that he's not a threat. If he starts charging towards me (and we all know how agile and fast homeless people are!), then the situation changes. I can run or counter-attack.

It's not about "if you don't comply with the police you're gonna have a bad time." It's about what the fuck the police are doing in the first place. Everything, any incident can end up with people shooting you, that's not the way to live. The police can shoot you if you don't comply to their demands, and their demands can be ANYTHING beyond reason. It's preposterous and infuriating. The murder of your fellow citizens is not a last resort, it hasn't been for a long time. It's "do as you're told, or you'll be electrocuted/sprayed and then killed. Simple as that."

wally

#66 Post by wally » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Larry B. wrote:Well, of course I was trying to make a point, just like the police are trying to make theirs by highlighting all the arguments that say "it's ok that they killed him."

I repeat: the guy was camping in the middle of nowhere. The police came to detain him (surely a priority,) and since he pulled out a 3-inch knife and said "I'm going to kill you" (said, not attempted nor even pretended to attempt), when the guy turned his back to the police to walk away, they shot him and killed him. One of the shooters says "boo-yah!", for fucks sake.

I've been vocally threatened a few times in my life ("you wanna die?" and "I'm gonna fucking shoot you", amongst others,) and I've had the logic to assess the situation and realize that their words are not really a threat. If a homeless man is 12 feet away from me, holding a knife that seriously, my limp penis is bigger than that, I just know that he's not a threat. If he starts charging towards me (and we all know how agile and fast homeless people are!), then the situation changes. I can run or counter-attack.

It's not about "if you don't comply with the police you're gonna have a bad time." It's about what the fuck the police are doing in the first place. Everything, any incident can end up with people shooting you, that's not the way to live. The police can shoot you if you don't comply to their demands, and their demands can be ANYTHING beyond reason. It's preposterous and infuriating. The murder of your fellow citizens is not a last resort, it hasn't been for a long time. It's "do as you're told, or you'll be electrocuted/sprayed and then killed. Simple as that."

In this case the police were demanding that he put the knife down, he didn't.

it appears you have littleunderstanding of the time it takes to launch an attack, or of the amount of time it takes to present your firearm and shoot, generally about 1.5 seconds for most people, in 1.5 seconds someone can run about 21 feet. (google tueller drill for more info) any closer than that and you're getting stabbed before you even get your gun out. (obviously in this case the cops already had guns drawn, and rocky uneven ground would slow that 1.5 sec).

you also seem to think that little to no damage can come from a 3 inch blade. google "karambit injuries" and see how much damage a small blade can do. ( i don't want to post them here because they're extremely graphic).

I agree with much of what you're saying, it's a sad state of affairs we live in today where many people are afraid of/resentful of the police. But everybody knows you're not going to win an argument with a cop. Court is where you make your arguments.

Larry B.

#67 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:03 pm

wally wrote:I agree with much of what you're saying, it's a sad state of affairs we live in today where many people are afraid of/resentful of the police. But everybody knows you're not going to win an argument with a cop. Court is where you make your arguments.
What's really unsettling is that, as you say, everybody knows that, but the citizens can't do shit about it and politicians won't do shit about it. And since the economic resources of a homeless man living in the middle of nowhere can't really compare with those of a police department, you are not going to get a fair trial if you go to court anyway.

"Comply or die" should only be a choice if you're being taken prisoner in the middle of a battle, not when you are camping illegally or sitting by a sidewalk.

wally

#68 Post by wally » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Larry B. wrote:
wally wrote:I agree with much of what you're saying, it's a sad state of affairs we live in today where many people are afraid of/resentful of the police. But everybody knows you're not going to win an argument with a cop. Court is where you make your arguments.
What's really unsettling is that, as you say, everybody knows that, but the citizens can't do shit about it and politicians won't do shit about it. And since the economic resources of a homeless man living in the middle of nowhere can't really compare with those of a police department, you are not going to get a fair trial if you go to court anyway.

"Comply or die" should only be a choice if you're being taken prisoner in the middle of a battle, not when you are camping illegally or sitting by a sidewalk.
what about when you're telling someone you're going to kill them if they come any closer and you're holding a knife in each hand?

it's entirely possible this is the outcome he wanted.

Larry B.

#69 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:33 pm

This doesn't really looks like a case of "suicide by cop". As you can see, after they throw him some sort of smoke bomb, the guy starts walking away from the cops. That's when they shoot him.

I see a bunch of trigger-happy cops and a mentally unstable man. Unfortunately, it's easy to guess who's going to end up dead, even in a situation that doesn't merit a single drop of blood.

Bandit72

#70 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:41 pm

To be fair, if there is at least four of you (armed with guns) and a dog or two and one of him (some nut bag with a couple of pen knives), I personally think shooting him dead is a bit OTT no matter what he is threatening. He wasn't even near them ffs. Even shooting him in the leg would've done - I imagine you would drop at least one knife if that happened.

wally

#71 Post by wally » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Bandit72 wrote:To be fair, if there is at least four of you (armed with guns) and a dog or two and one of him (some nut bag with a couple of pen knives), I personally think shooting him dead is a bit OTT no matter what he is threatening. He wasn't even near them ffs. Even shooting him in the leg would've done - I imagine you would drop at least one knife if that happened.
agree that it was likely over the top, disagree about shooting him in the leg. like it or not, cops are trained to shoot to stop the threat, you don't do that by shooting them in the leg. you do that by killing them. it should also be noted that cops (at least in NYC) have between a 20 and 30% hit rate when firing on a suspect, and they aim for center of mass. they simply aren't going to hit someone in the leg.
http://nation.time.com/2013/09/16/ready ... ystanders/

also, he still had a knife in each hand after being shot in the chest, not sure why you think he would drop one after being shot in the leg.

Bandit72

#72 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Yes, it is true that shooters go for mass, I was in 'movie' mode. But why did they hand cuff him? That's even more bizarre.

"Yes, he's dead"

"CUFF HIM! HE MAY TURN INTO A ZOMBIE AND GRAB YOU"

Larry B.

#73 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Yes, it is true that shooters go for mass, I was in 'movie' mode. But why did they hand cuff him? That's even more bizarre.

"Yes, he's dead"

"CUFF HIM! HE MAY TURN INTO A ZOMBIE AND GRAB YOU"
Probably because in the bottom of their hearts, they really have no idea what they're doing. They probably have the order that you HAVE to handcuff a detainee. If you can't determine 100% he's dead, beyond all reasonable doubt, you better handcuff him.

Of course, I'm just guessing. Why would you call the cops to say "some homeless guy may be camping in so-and-so hill, miles away from human contact. Might want to look into such thing"? Why would you feed or engage in a stand-off with a mentally unstable man claiming that he's going to kill 4 cops with a couple of shitty knives? Why would you release the dog to bite him if he's wielding those dangerous daggers, as I'm reading in some other sources? Why would you tase him and shoot him with bean bag shits? Why would you throw some sort of smoke bomb and then shoot him? Then yell him to put his hands behind his back, after he's been shot numerous times? Then throw the dog to check on his vital signs by biting his thigh? And then HANDCUFF THE CORPSE? What sort of protocol and police procedure is that?

SR

#74 Post by SR » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:04 am

Good kill.

Artemis

#75 Post by Artemis » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:21 pm

I didn't want to start another cop thread so I'm using this one...

Here's a Toronto cop dancing on duty.
Someone wrote that his motto is to "twerk and protect" :hehe: