Now Drinking

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
tvrec

Re: Now Drinking

#76 Post by tvrec » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:41 pm

I know that there are a few Stone fans on the board; if you live in Germany, get excited. They're expanding. They are also running a nice kickstarter-like campaign for some exclusive collaboration brews. Here the campaign link, if you're interested:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ston ... ry-brewing

And a short little video with one of the founders talking about the campaign and upcoming projects.

tvrec

#77 Post by tvrec » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:08 pm

I know there are at least a couple Bruery fans on the site. The Stone campaign just released pre-orders for a collaboration with Bruery this morning. It appears around 50% sold out already, so if you're interested visit the link in the post above and support the campaign before it's too late.

sinep

#78 Post by sinep » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:43 pm

Got:
Bruery/stone
Nogne/jolly pumpkin/stone
Bodebrown/stone

Thinking about the alesmith and lost abbey ones..

tvrec

#79 Post by tvrec » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:30 pm

I did BrewDogs, Lost Abbey, Bruery, Alesmith, and the Dayman DIPA. Maybe one other, too many to remember. And Too expensive, but I know I'll be happy when they roll out.

Edit: and wootstout, even though this year's 2.0 is far less than stellar.

Jasper

#80 Post by Jasper » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:42 pm

Oh boy, I just got home from a long car ride and cracked open an all-in-one wine in a (plastic) glass. :lol: I had a couple because they were left by my sister in law after a BYOB no-glass yacht trip.

This thing is pretty neat/hilarious. My sister in law is a great lady.

In case you can't tell, it's got a resealable screw-on plastic lid. It's 100% recyclable.

Artemis

#81 Post by Artemis » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:36 pm

I've never seen the all-in-one plastic wine goblet before - I like it! I could easily fit a couple of those in my handbag for picnics. :lol:
We get Fetzer wines here, but maybe those cups are in the US only.

Jasper

#82 Post by Jasper » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 pm

Never fear, when the capitalists and ideologues dissolve our borders, you and I will be canoodling under the stars in the great NAFTA Union with all of the plastic travel wines your heart desires.

Artemis

#83 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:50 am

Jasper wrote:Never fear, when the capitalists and ideologues dissolve our borders, you and I will be canoodling under the stars in the great NAFTA Union with all of the plastic travel wines your heart desires.
:lol: I can't wait!

Hype

#84 Post by Hype » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:43 am

I just got a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15.
http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/da ... ld-whisky/

I prefer the Islay malts (PEAT!), but Dalwhinnie's such an easy drinking whisky that it's a good one to have around for those who can't handle Laphroaig.

Jasper

#85 Post by Jasper » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:14 am

I'm glad you drink scotch now, though just drinking Islay is a bit odd. Have you ever had German smoked beer (Rauchbier)? You might be into it.

My favorite Islay is still Lagavulin 16 (or up), though you'll be pleased to hear that Laphroaig 18 is what I've got on hand at the moment.

Speaking of peat, today I got some Sneaky Pete glass flasks.
Each holds about 2.5 servings of...cough medicine. Glass won't corrode or mess with the flavor, you can see what you've got left in there, AND you can see if you've properly cleaned the flask. Obviously there's a bit more bulk than a metal flask, but it's still quite small, and it's contoured in the manner you'd expect. I imagine it will be perfect for things like boat rides, movies and such. Nice little gift as well, and I'll give the first one away (filled with a French single malt called Brenne) when my friend visits from NYC this evening. I've never been a flask carrier, but I got a glass sample tube of scotch a couple of years ago. This glass tube holds exactly one drink (see below to get an idea), and it came in so handy a couple of times that I was inspired to procure something with a bit more capacity.

Hype

#86 Post by Hype » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:48 pm

I've been taking scotch fairly seriously for a few years (it happens when you're a graduate student at a VERY historically Scottish university... and there's a free weekly dram...)

Anyway, I have a bottle of Laphroaig cask strength as well that I love, but I saw the Dalwhinnie at a Duty Free shop for a decent price (somewhat lower than you can get it for in Canada), so I sprung for it.

I love Lagavulin as well, but Laphroaig is my fav of the Islays.

I've always used Glencairn (nosing) glasses or tumblers, depending on what effect I want.

I think I need to look into nitrogen, as I don't have the money to drink this stuff too fast. Any idea if this is worth it, or should I just hope the dark, cool, dry storage keeps them from oxidizing too much in the next year or two? I'm not too worried now, but when the bottle's less than half-full I'll get worried that I'm saving what will eventually be $50-100 of shitty-tasting water.

My next purchase will probably be Auchentoshan so I can lay claim to the lowlands as well.

The only smoke-type beer I've had is Church Key's "Holy Smoke": http://www.churchkeybrewing.com/HolySmoke.html
It's not great.

Jasper

#87 Post by Jasper » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:15 pm

Auchentoshan is very nice. Triple distilled. I've had a lot of the 12 and the 18.

As for oxidization, I wouldn't worry. Scotch keeps very well if it's not in direct sunlight or extreme heat. If you're concerned, the real secret is decanting into smaller bottles. If you've got three or four bottle sizes saved, you'll generally find a good fit for your remaining spirits. Of course you can keep the original bottle and, um, recant the liquor if you've got company and want to see the label. This trick is extremely useful for leftover wine, no fancy inert gasses required. Naturally you'd use a very slow, smooth pour to avoid much oxidization during the transfer. A decanter funnel comes in handy, but I'm sure a makeshift solution could be found.

Hype

#88 Post by Hype » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:41 pm

How do you prefer to drink non-Islays? Chilled at all? (Perhaps with whisky rocks?) Just neat? With a little added water?

I've experimented with the Islays and have a preferred method for them, but with the Speysides and Highland I've had trouble finding a sweet spot (which is why I say I prefer the Islays)... With a 15 yr old whisky, I should be safe adding a little bit of water, though I don't have any distilled water offhand, so I'll take the chance of adding to the taste. Opinions on chilling seem varied and not very clear... apparently it takes away "complexity", but can bring out "fruitiness"... but Dalwhinnie isn't very complex in the first place, so I figure it doesn't need chilling?

Jasper

#89 Post by Jasper » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:24 pm

I'm opposed to chilling, though I used to do it, years ago. Now I'd only chill something cheap, if I were somehow stuck with it. For many, Dewars and soda in a pint glass with lots of ice is the dive bar staple.

I drink absolutely everything neat, first. I most enjoy the mouthfeel sans water. After that I try a tiny splash of room temperature water. I find I enjoy a lot of scotch as-is, but the water can unlock some magic, depending on the scotch. Obviously water in an Islay tends to fill the entire room (and perhaps adjoining rooms) with an intense peaty aroma, which can cause some distress for those not drinking it. It's the scotch equivalent of lighting a cigar. :lol:

Hype

#90 Post by Hype » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:43 pm

Jasper wrote:I'm opposed to chilling, though I used to do it, years ago. Now I'd only chill something cheap, if I were somehow stuck with it. For many, Dewars and soda in a pint glass with lots of ice is the dive bar staple.

I drink absolutely everything neat, first. I most enjoy the mouthfeel sans water. After that I try a tiny splash of room temperature water. I find I enjoy a lot of scotch as-is, but the water can unlock some magic, depending on the scotch. Obviously water in an Islay tends to fill the entire room (and perhaps adjoining rooms) with an intense peaty aroma, which can cause some distress for those not drinking it. It's the scotch equivalent of lighting a cigar. :lol:
I just poured a dram of Laphroaig quarter cask (48%!) and took a sip neat. Added four drops of water and am now enjoying the smell of wet campfire. :rockon:

This one: http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/la ... sk-whisky/

:drink:

Can't recommend the QC enough... to me it's the perfect whisky.

Artemis

#91 Post by Artemis » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:22 pm

Misterio Malbec from Argentina for $8.95

Not bad, a little on the fruity side but I think I can cope. :drink:

kv

#92 Post by kv » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:36 pm

one of my buddies i play music with is a scotch head...in fact most of the people i play with are...and smokers...of at least weed...myself i don't drink much other then a beer or 2...but they do have me enjoying some scotch during practices...the other night i brought my friend a cigar for his belated bday...short stories and i was bummed the place i went to only had one or i would have grabbed one for everyone...he didn't want to light it since nobody else had one but we told him to stfu and light it...and he rolled out some glenlivet 18 ...which i declined...if i would have had the cig i would have had a glass...mostly neat...so there i am it's a cool very still night not smoking or drinking and he flares that stog and popped the top and it just smelled so good....without even partaking

Artemis

#93 Post by Artemis » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:48 pm

This wine is delicious!

2013 Sperling Vineyards Gewurztraminer, Okanagan Valley VQA, British Columbia – Vintages PanAm release $21.95 750ml (13.3% Alcohol)

Although there was once a time when I was irresistibly drawn to its unarguably exotic pleasures like a drunken moth to a flame, it’s rarely that a Gewurztraminer takes my fancy these days (with the odd exception). With this in mind, just the other day was utterly enchanted by the Sperling Vineyards 2013 bottling.

And enchanting is certainly the word here.

Capturing everything I adore about the grape without dipping into the clumsy caricature that so many producers feel exemplifies the varietal, the Sperling Gewurz is sourced from 25 year old vines from Winemaker Ann Sperling’s family hillside vineyard in the Okanagan.

Unfortunately this will be the very last vintage from these plantings as devastating hail in 2013 damaged the vines to such a degree that they never recovered. Sperling chose to pull out the Gewurz vines and, after giving the soil a chance to rejuvenate with the help of a cover crop, will be replanting the plot with Chardonnay.

In the glass the wine serves up a nuanced bouquet of agave, lime leaf, talcum powder, and rosewater. The palate leads with a firm but pleasing acid character, that serves to keep the wine delightfully fresh and vibrant, masking the 13.3% alcohol somewhat, and leading one to believe that it’s substantially lower than it actually is. On the palate this wine dances like a principal ballerina; (malic) strength coupled with an exquisite (mineral) poise and (fruit) grace give it an admirable equilibrium. Delicious.
4-and-a-half-apples
(Four and a half apples out of a possible Five apples)

Jasper

#94 Post by Jasper » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:41 pm

As a detoxification procedure, an exercise in self control, and as a measure to ensure I can complete all of the work I've got to do, I have not consumed a drink in over two months. In fact, aside from one drunken dinner where I felt compelled to be a good sport, it's been almost three months.

My goal is to at least match my previous record of three months. It would be nice to go a bit longer, but some August vacationing will likely spell the end of this noble endeavor.

erotic cheeses

#95 Post by erotic cheeses » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:44 pm

[quote="Adurentibus Spina"]How do you prefer to drink non-Islays? Chilled at all? (Perhaps with whisky rocks?) Just neat? With a little added water?

I've experimented with the Islays and have a preferred method for them, but with the Speysides and Highland I've had trouble finding a sweet spot (which is why I say I prefer the Islays)... With a 15 yr old whisky, I should be safe adding a little bit of water, though I don't have any distilled water offhand, so I'll take the chance of adding to the taste. Opinions on chilling seem varied and not very clear... apparently it takes away "complexity", but can bring out "fruitiness"... but Dalwhinnie isn't very complex in the first place, so I figure it doesn't need chilling?[/quote

As the damned woud say it's got to be neat neat neat, you philistine!

erotic cheeses

#96 Post by erotic cheeses » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:47 pm

The thing is it's pretty cold all year year round north of the border so whisky has to be served at room temperature to give you the warmth that it brings...

Artemis

#97 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:48 am

Enjoying a vodka+tonic, waiting for my ride... :waits:

blackcoffee

#98 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:14 am

Coffee. Black.

Last night I had a great sparkling water with a cucumber slice.

Artemis

#99 Post by Artemis » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:59 pm

My first time trying this beer. A bit pricey at $3.60 for a small bottle.
Now that the weather is cooler, it's prefect. I don't think I could drink more than 2 bottles, it's pretty sweet, but not cloying.

A review from the Beer Snob:
Brewer: Dubussion, Pipaix, Belgium
Style: Belgian Amber
Alc/Vol: 11.8%

Description: The Scaldis amber is an unfiltered, high fermentation beer fashioned exclusively made from caramel malt, hops, natural sugar, water drawn from the brewery’s basement and an exclusive yeast. The end result is then stored for a period of 4 to 6 weeks to achieve its characteristic combination of dense malt, smooth flavor and the highest alcohol content of any Belgian beer (11.8% ABV).

Tasting Notes: The Scaldis Ambrée is another first for this Beer Snob, and apparently a rather significant one as it is apparently Belgian’s strongest. It was also quite fitting as a extra strong amber, bringing that characteristic combination of maltiness, sugary sweetness and fruity esters one would expect. What was surprising for me was the level of smoothness. Given the alcohol content, I expected it to be far more coarse. Still, the alcohol does comes through with the rather delightful warming sensation it finishes with. This beer is recommended as an aperitif or digestif, and I can attest to it being well-suited to the latter.

Appearance: Amber, cloudy, good foam retention and carbonation
Nose: Rich and coarse malt, sugars, notes of cherry, fruity esters, caramel
Taste: Smooth malt, slight tang and coarseness, syrupy sweetness, warm alcohol finish
Aftertaste: Lingering coarse malt flavor, sugars, cherry and fruit esters
Overall: 9/10

Hype

#100 Post by Hype » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:37 pm

Tried Belhaven Black Scottish Stout today. It's okay. A bit weak and thin compared to Guinness, and has a slightly strange aftertaste.

Also tried Flying Monkeys' Genius of Suburbia session IPA... It was pretty good. Like all Flying Monkeys brews it's quite hoppy.

I probably wouldn't buy either of them intentionally again, if I have alternatives.

I do, however, love Waterloo Amber.

Interestingly, the stout and IPA get pretty decent reviews from Beer Advocate (82% each), where the amber only gets 74%... :noclue: